As we get closer to National Signing Day, the hype and furor grows each day. All us recruiting wonks can think about is “are we going to get this guy”, “is so and so going to flip to us”, “is so and so going to switch”. It’s easy to forget about feeling that way about last year’s class. It’s like being a kid on Christmas day. You flip out about what you got and then a week later you’ve forgotten about what you got. So, let’s look at last year’s offensive signees.
These guys ended up contributing and you know who they are:
- Knile Davis: 33 carries for 163 yards and 4 TDs. 2 receptions for 5 yards.
- Ronnie Wingo: 49 carries for 349 yards and 3 TDs. 5 receptions for 99 yards and 1 TD.
- Cobi Hamilton: 19 receptions for 347 yards and 3 TDs. 5th on the team in receptions and TDs.
- Anthony Oden
Here are the ones you may have forgotten:
- Neal Barlow (WR) – 6-6/200/4.5. #80 ranked WR from Pulaski Academy. Redshirted in 2009 and should contribute in 2010 with London Crawford, Reggie Fish, and Lucas Miller all reaching the end of their eligibility and Marques Wade leaving the team.
- Lance Ray (WR) – 6-3/207/4.4. #59 ranked Athlete from Havana, FL. Redshirted in 2009 and also should contribute for the same reasons as Barlow. Personally, I’m really looking forward to seeing what this guy can do. He’s got great size and great speed, but that doesn’t always make a great receiver.
- Austin Tate (TE) – 6-6/230/4.7. #19 ranked TE from Harrison, AR. Redshirted in 2009. The Hogs aren’t losing any TE’s in 2010 so that doesn’t automatically mean he’ll be more in the mix this year. Playing time will be earned. Colton Nash is being moved back to DE so at the very least, Tate will get more reps in practice.
- Alvin Bailey (OL) – 6-5/330. #27 ranked OG from Broken Arrow, OK. Redshirted in 2009 after battling for a spot on the line. One of the strongest players on the team, he really should be a solid contributor in 2010. The OL is losing only Mitch Petrus but some of the younger players need to step up to form a more formidable line.
- Colby Berna (OL) – 6-5/300. #10 ranked OG from Fayetteville, AR. Redshirted in 2009.
- Travis Swanson (OL) – 6-5/305. #73 ranked OT from Kingswood, TX. Redshirted in 2009.
- Shauntez Bruce (OL) – 6-5/300 OT from Tallahasse, FL. Had to go JUCO. Not sure where he is.
- Turrell Williams (RB) – 6-2/215/4.5 RB from West Helena, FL. Reportedly enrolled at Butler County Community College, KS.
I don’t think anyone has forgotten about Brandon Mitchell. He’s going to be an interesting one to watch, but it might be in 2011 before we see him on the field.
Defensive review tomorrow…