Razorback Hockey SEC Champs

Razorback Hockey Wins SEC, Heads to National Championship Tournament

by WooPigFlowerMound on March 4, 2010

This past weekend, the Razorback hockey team traveled to Pelham, AL to play in the SEC Conference Championship. With a first-round bye, the number one seeded Razorbacks faced the third seeded Alabama Crimson Tide on Saturday evening. After falling behind 1-0 in the first period, the Hogs answered five unanswered goals over the next two periods to advance to the championship game.

With the SEC title on the line, Arkansas faced the second seeded Florida Gators at Sunday afternoon. Although the Hogs struck first, they found themselves trailing 2-1 after two periods of play. Led by Brad McMahon’s natural hat-trick, the Hogs again answered five unanswered goals. The 6-2 championship victory solidified the Razorbacks’ first ever SEC title.

The Hogs travel to Fort Myers, FL next week to compete in the ACHA National Championship, where they open up against the University of Colorado on Wednesday March 10th, Hope University on March 11th, and Fredonia State on Friday. The Winner of that Pool will advance to the Semi Finals on Sunday Morning and the Semi Finals winners will play for the National Championship on Saturday Evening.

ACHA Nationals Schedule
Fort Myers, Florida

Wednesday, March 10 – 10:00 AM (CT)
Colorado Buffaloes vs. Arkansas Razorbacks

Thursday, March 11 – 10:00 AM (CT)
Hope Flying Dutchmen vs. Arkansas Razorbacks

Friday, March 12 – 7:15 AM (CT)
Arkansas Razorbacks
vs. Fredonia State Blue Devils

Saturday, March 13
Semi-Finals & Championship Games

Live Videocasting
All games during the 2010 ACHA Division 3 National Championships will be videocast live on the internet courtesy of FastHockey.com Stay tuned for more information as we get closer to the tournament.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Mary M March 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm

THANKS WOOPIG.NET for helping these boys out. They couldn’t be a BETTER group of young men working hard to play a sport that they LOVE and that gets a lot of grief for being a “club” sport. They leave on Sunday on a charter bus headed to Fort Meyers, FL – one of the Top 16 teams in the nation. The future is VERY bright for this ICE HOGS team…

WooPigFlowerMound March 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Mary M, WOOPIG.NET is just getting the ice warmed up. Sorry we’re late to the party. “Club,” schmub – we’re all VERY proud of these men, their parents and their coaches for following their passion and for the way they’re representing us. Have a very safe trip, and know that the team has many “new” fans here that will be cheering them on and wishing them all the best. Whoop ‘em all & GO HOGS.

dalstar99 March 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Ice Hogs congratulations on your SEC- Title. A great accomplishment by 25 great young men, and their fantastic coaching staff. You are getting a great education, learning leadership, dedication, and committment, while having fun enjoying the sport you love. Live in the moment and enjoy the ride. We wish you the best of luck in Nationals. Go Razorbacks

ElvisHog March 4, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I’m just glad that we can help out. It was great timing with the Olympics just ending. Hockey awareness is always high after they’re over. Plus I’ve always been a casual hockey fan and I think it’s as cool as anything that there’s a Razorback hockey team. With sweet jerseys.

Mary M March 5, 2010 at 8:40 am

Thanks guys – Flower Mound – do you live there? We’re in Plano!!! There are 8 Plano Wildcats on this team currently and 14 boys from North Texas!!! I’m sure you saw that, but just thought I’d tell ya anyway. How did you guys find out about them? Can’t wait for this upcoming week for them. And then next year with all our new fans!!! It’ll be greatness.

WooPigFlowerMound March 5, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Mary M, I am indeed here in FM. I did notice all the DFW-area Hogs when I checked out the hockey roster – that’s awesome. A couple of our better posters here made mention of the hockey team (which many of us didn’t know about before then), and it’s just taken off from there. I will absolutely be making it to some games next season – especially those around here in DFW. Wishing I could be in Florida next week, sporting one of those SWEET black hockey jerseys and yelling my head off. We’ll be following the action from here, for sure. Keep us posted on everything, and GO HOGS.

TaylorC April 7, 2012 at 12:12 am

I’m glad that this coming Hockey season I’ll be a fan of the Hogs! I’m moving to to Arkansas I am 13 but i am a girly girl but still the BIGGEST hockey fan EVER!!!!