Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: "If I had been the quarterback... we would have been a BCS team."  (Read 7150 times)

Anti-OtisII

Re: "If I had been the quarterback... we would have been a BCS team."
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 04:09:02 PM »
A QB like TJack didn't have a chance of getting what he needed to be successful under Nutt.  While all of you were blessing Wittke as the answer, I'll remind you that I told you he had spent a career as an assistant at a tiny nothing school and did not have the credentials to coach up folks like TJack.

what I don't get is Wittke was thought to be a good developer of QB's--he'd shown it in the past at IL Girl's Tech, or whatevar.

Then he leaves here (which we all know was probably Houston's fault), and AZ State snatches him up.

watch him blow it up over there.

so why couldn't he make MJ and Nuke better QB's?

I am vexed.

:notexas:

An excerpt from CFN's 2006 Preseason Rankings that has Arizona State coming in at 20th....

20. Arizona State   Arizona State Preview
Predicted Finish: 9-3  2005 Predicted Finish: 8-3   2005 Record: 7-5
On both sides of the ball, head coach Dirk Koetter has assembled a team that can run, hit, throw, and catch as well as anyone in the nation. It'll be a major disappointment if this isn't one of the nation's five most productive offensive attacks with the addition of coordinator Roy Wittke to work with the quarterbacks. The passing game will be deadly with Sam Keller and Rudy Carpenter each able put up All-America numbers with a speedy receiving corps to work with an a huge, experienced line to play behind. The special teams will be tremendous with Terry Richardson back returning punts and kicks, and the defense should see some improvement with the addition of several good JUCO prospects along with Northwestern transfer Loren Howard and BYU transfer Michael Marquardt on the line.

You can look thru all these and you aren't going to find very many if any assistant coaches mentioned.  I personally think Wittke got a raw deal and it would have been tons better for this team to get rid of Shibest or Allen (and maybe Markuson if he doesn't fall into line) as assistants, but he has to be better off now with a HC that actually thinks he just might know what he is doing.

Offline HogJam

• Boar
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 05:13:58 PM »
Arkansas State wouldnt trade what they have for our current coach.

Correct.

The majority of our fans probably are happy with their $14,000 per year job, a "good Christian" coaching the hogs, and Hee Haw on Saturday nights.....

Napigleon

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 06:13:32 PM »
Yeah, I mean....lets bag on a former player who is now a 2nd round draft pick in the NFL.   One who obivously worked hard, wasnt developed and was put into HORRIBLE situations his entire time here.

Add to that that we had a first round NFL receiver playing QB in front of him.   A QB who couldnt throw the ball 30 yards.

I can understand his frustration.   And, he said that his teammates said that.   Teammates say stupid sh.it all the time.   Especially to each other.

No shit re the HORRIBLE situations.  Refresh my memory, didn't Nuttsac put him in qb on 4th and 1 and put MJ at WR at TENN as if no one would realize he was going to pass to MJ.  Even my mom in law called that one.

Cleve_Dean

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
No shit re the HORRIBLE situations.  Refresh my memory, didn't Nuttsac put him in qb on 4th and 1 and put MJ at WR at TENN as if no one would realize he was going to pass to MJ.  Even my mom in law called that one.

Well, you and your mom in law were wrong. It was a QB sneak by Jackson.

Uncle Remus

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »
He obviously was able to hit receivers between the numbers at Alabama State. He obviously did something right to be a second round draft pick.

All I know is that the kid could not cut in the SEC.

Napigleon

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 06:27:28 PM »
Well, you and your mom in law were wrong. It was a QB sneak by Jackson.

Exactly my point, three times.

Offline RazorTongue

• A Shoat
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2006, 07:49:50 PM »
Yeah, HE couldnt cut it in the SEC.............however, an NFL franchise was willing to risk a second round pick on him.

YouR too f.cking retarded to post here.

Glad to see everyone is making new friends.

We'll never know if he could have cut it in the SEC, but I'm hoping he does well in the NFL.  To be fair, I don't think any of us were disappointed to see him transfer at the time.
Liberals are shit.

ElvisHog

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »
Alex Mortensen will probably be told the same thing after his successful career at Samford.

Offline MDEM

• Hater
  • Boar
  • Repulsive Degenerate
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2006, 08:54:47 PM »
To be fair, I don't think any of us were disappointed to see him transfer at the time.

I was.
This is a high quality post.

Offline TheMaxSwineberg7

• Your Seinfeld Authority
  • Boar
  • I could raise enough money to cure polio.
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2006, 09:23:39 PM »
No aMm re the HORRIBLE situations.  Refresh my memory, didn't Nuttsac put him in qb on 4th and 1 and put MJ at WR at TENN as if no one would realize he was going to pass to MJ.  Even my mom in law called that one.

4th and 1 against Kentucky at RRS to run a QB sneak, with MJ at WR, in one of the 4 consecutive drives that ended in turning the ball over on downs.

It was October 19, 2002, the last game I attended at RRS.  Gave my tickets away for the next 2 Fayetteville games, and did not renew the next season.
"I am not offended by homosexuality. In the '60s, I made love to many, many women. Often outdoors. In the mud and the rain. And it's possible a man slipped in. There would be no way of knowing."

-Creed Bratton

Offline NEA HOG

• Boar
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2006, 11:53:45 PM »
I didn't care when he had success at Alabama St.

I don't give a frick how he is in the pros.

He did nothing for the Razorbacks, and they are pretty much all that I care about. 

Had he transferred to Baylor or been drafted by the Colts, I'd care.

What if he had followed tradition and transferred to Okie State?

Arkansas Proud II

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 01:56:27 AM »
4th and 1 against Kentucky at RRS to run a QB sneak, with MJ at WR, in one of the 4 consecutive drives that ended in turning the ball over on downs.

It was October 19, 2002, the last game I attended at RRS. Gave my tickets away for the next 2 Fayetteville games, and did not renew the next season.

I don't remember that 4th and 1.  It may have happened, but I sure don't remember it.

I DO remember the 4th and 1 AT Tennessee on their 25, that was stuffed for no gain.  I never understood why we would let a QB take us all the way down to the 25 yard line, take out a 6'6" QB and insert a 6'2" QB to run the QB sneak.  A 6'2" QB that played 2 downs the entire game.

Offline looped

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2006, 07:57:24 AM »

Had he transferred to Baylor or been drafted by the Colts, I'd care

WTF? if HDN transfers to baylor, then i'll care. until then, please limit your college football references to D1 schools. but a nutt in waco - perfect.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 09:58:46 AM »

I DO remember the 4th and 1 AT Tennessee on their 25, that was stuffed for no gain.  I never understood why we would let a QB take us all the way down to the 25 yard line, take out a 6'6" QB and insert a 6'2" QB to run the QB sneak.  A 6'2" QB that played 2 downs the entire game.

It's called "coaching".  If you were a big-time college coach you would understand the genus that is Houston Nutt.
Homies help homies.  Always.

Offline APhiOHog

• It's been awhile.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Rocky Mountain High
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »

WTF? if HDN transfers to baylor, then i'll care. until then, please limit your college football references to D1 schools. but a nutt in waco - perfect.

FYI, Baylor is D1.
Do you even watch college football?

Jean-Luc PIGard

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 11:58:18 AM »
FYI, Baylor is D1.
Do you even watch college football?

Technically they are.   :stache:

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • whatever
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2006, 03:21:33 PM »
fyi - Baylor is going to run a Texas Tech-like offense this year.
Haters gonna hate

Jean-Luc PIGard

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2006, 03:51:51 PM »
fyi - Baylor is going to run a Texas Tech-like offense this year.

Yes, but without the "T" and the other "T".   :stache:   I keep forgetting that they hired the guy from KY?  They may, indeed, have a little more offense, but KY wasn't known for defense when he was there. 

Page created in 1.838 seconds with 33 queries.