Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is Mitch Mustain really the future?  (Read 5877 times)

Offline APhiOHog

• It's been awhile.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Rocky Mountain High
Re: Is Mitch Mustain really the future?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »
He learns who to play halfway through the season from radio call in shows.  And everyone on that team knew Nuke was the better quarterback than Jones.  That was the good ol boy system at it's finest.  Nutt didn't know what to do with Nuke like he doesn't know what to do with Mustain, that's why we had to hire a high school coach to run our offense.

For some reason I think a guy with years and years of both college and NFL experience coaching QBs will know what to do with Mustain.

Offline bsfellers

• A Shoat
  • I am the eggman
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »
Not really.  This isn't unusual for Nutt.  It took him until game 6 to figure out McFadden was better than Howard.  He tried to start Sorohan at QB over Matt Jones.  He tried to put Nuke into games instead of Jones.  He played Cobbs over Talley, Hill over Chukwuma, and Chukwuma over Cobbs (I know that sounds circular, but if you have followed Hog football, it makes perfect sense).

In other words, he can not evaluate who is the better player until half way through the season, and is usually forced to change personnel by injury or to save the season.
Careful, someone's gonna steal these thoughts right away from ya. 

You can't hide those Chinese eyes

rimrocker

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 09:03:05 PM »
Careful, someone's gonna steal these thoughts right away from ya. 
that is not anyone's thoughts.  It's fucking truthiness.

Offline The Red Death

• He ain’t fat y’all.
  • Boar
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »
For some reason I think a guy with years and years of both college and NFL experience coaching QBs will know what to do with Mustain.

If you think that Nutt is going to just step aside and let Wood and Mal-a-zahn take over you're crazy and you don't understand our egomaniac head coach.  Mr. Playcaller will not just fade into the sunset and he WILL NOT allow anyone to take credit brotha.  So to summarize, he's still going to be waving his hands and overriding Mal-a-zahn and headsets will be thrown and then he will either be fired or transfer.  This is setting up as a win-win and should be entertaining as hell.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job

Offline bsfellers

• A Shoat
  • I am the eggman
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 10:29:12 PM »
I know you're trying to be funny, but those have already been stolen.  Your timing is way off.
It must be hard being you.

You can't hide those Chinese eyes

Offline merlin

• Wild Hog
  • Hog High Priest
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 11:43:16 PM »
If you think that Nutt is going to just step aside and let Wood and Mal-a-zahn take over you're crazy and you don't understand our egomaniac head coach.  Mr. Playcaller will not just fade into the sunset and he WILL NOT allow anyone to take credit brotha.  So to summarize, he's still going to be waving his hands and overriding Mal-a-zahn and headsets will be thrown and then he will either be fired or transfer.  This is setting up as a win-win and should be entertaining as hell.

You're probably right, but if our egomaniac head coach would slow down and use his brain, he'd end up better off.  He should turn it all over to Wood and Malzahn.  If the team is successful, he can take credit for having the foresight and wisdom to make such outstanding hires in the offseason.  On the other hand, if they fail, he can blame it on them.  Either way, he wins.

Let's hope he stays consistent and doesn't use his brain.

Offline Hogger78

• A Shoat
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 11:59:56 PM »
Those schools you mentioned don't get blue chips. The systems they run produce good QB's. We on the other hand, take NFL talent like TJack and ruin them.

Jackson was hardly seen as "NFL talent" coming out of high school.  The only reason he came here was because we told him he could be a QB.  Everybody else was recruiting him as a LB.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 09:52:11 AM »
Jackson was hardly seen as "NFL talent" coming out of high school.  The only reason he came here was because we told him he could be a QB.  Everybody else was recruiting him as a LB.

He didn't say he was an NFL talent out of high school, just that he was NFL talent.  He is.

Offline Nick Ahpleeze

• Tush Hog
  • Uniform Traditionalist
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »
Everyone keeps saying that Mitch Mustain is the future - and possible savior -  at Arkansas.  But how do any of us know this for certain?  How do we know that he won't be a huge disappointment? 

This teenager has not taken one solitary snap in a Division 1A game.  Yet he is being treated as the equivalent of the Second Coming.  And how do we know that the current administration will develop him properly?  Matt Jones had tons of raw talent and HDN & Co. never developed him into a true passer - after 4 years of work.

Am I wrong for taking a wait-and-see attitude on Mustain?

Sept 2 .  Hogs s win toss. defer. KO USC scores quick. Robut Johnson starts , is int'd for TD  HOGS down 0-14  MM enters game Def almost stops bleeding but repeatedly gives up booty on 3rd and long . ARK loses heartbreaker 31-24 .
     MITCH MUSTAIN ERA BEGINS.

I'll say it like I said it after i saw Springdale play in the Championship game. "Help IS on the way"  its just a matter of time.

Hey Jeff, Red & White (no black) Jersey , 2 Red stripes on pants leg. GOT IT ?

Offline TheGreatBoardero

• A man among boys
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 07:45:38 PM »
I would say Brad Taylor and Clint Stoerner are the best passers I've seen since I started paying attention in the late 70s.

Other than that, I would pretty much agree with your premise.

The fact that Clint Soerner is "one of the best passers you have ever seen", renders you not credible to judge who are the best passers.

Offline razorhog12

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 07:48:21 PM »
My grandmother would be a great passer if she had Anthony Lucas as a receiver.