Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: QB thoughts after 97 season  (Read 3393 times)

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

QB thoughts after 97 season
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:09:48 PM »
I'm not going to claim that I remember what the overall feeling of the state was on the QB situation after the 97 season (4-7 for second year in a row) but it seems like we weren't too excited about Stoerner being our QB for the 98 campaign. My point is that it amazes me how beside themselves all of the callers to sportswrap were getting about Chuck saying that RoJo was the #1 QB at the beginning of this week. (not game week) You would think the world was coming to an end just because someone acknowledged that RoJo had a good scrimmage. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Johnson actually has improved. After all Stoerner improved tons between his SO & JU years it could happen again. After having said all of that, I hope Mustain is the QB just as much as anyone else just b/c he is a homeboy and the other two are from TX. Just an observation. I'll hang up and listen.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• King of the Hogs
  • Call the Supernatural.
Re: QB thoughts after 97 season
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »
I'm not going to claim that I remember what the overall feeling of the state was on the QB situation after the 97 season (4-7 for second year in a row) but it seems like we weren't too excited about Stoerner being our QB for the 98 campaign. My point is that it amazes me how beside themselves all of the callers to sportswrap were getting about Chuck saying that RoJo was the #1 QB at the beginning of this week. (not game week) You would think the world was coming to an end just because someone acknowledged that RoJo had a good scrimmage. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Johnson actually has improved. After all Stoerner improved tons between his SO & JU years it could happen again. After having said all of that, I hope Mustain is the QB just as much as anyone else just b/c he is a homeboy and the other two are from TX. Just an observation. I'll hang up and listen.

Two threads down, champ.

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
Former Hogs in the NFL    ???

Red_Red_Swine

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:33:42 PM »
I remember it.

Stoerner had little experience at the position but he could fucking wing it.

Chadd Jones looked more polished in practices but had some injuries that ultimately derailed him.

Burks was gone.

It looked pretty goddamn bleak. If that year is analogous to 2006, then the individual proposing said comparison has smoked himself retartered.

Both Dick and Johnson have already accomplished more than Burks or Jones did. And Mustain doesn't exactly arrive with a history of running slants at Baytown High.

This ain't 1997. Last year was. :D

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:45:07 PM »
I remember it.

Stoerner had little experience at the position but he could fricking wing it.

Chadd Jones looked more polished in practices but had some injuries that ultimately derailed him.

Burks was gone.

It looked pretty JFBdamn bleak. If that year is analogous to 2006, then the individual proposing said comparison has smoked himself retartered.

Both Dick and Johnson have already accomplished more than Burks or Jones did. And Mustain doesn't exactly arrive with a history of running slants at Baytown High.

This ain't 1997. Last year was. :D
I am agreeing with you. I think. How much PT did Stoerner get in 97? I was trying to make the point that Stoerner improved from 97 to 98 and so Robert Johnson could have done the same so people shouldn't be so upset if by chance Johnson was to be the starter against USC. He may have improved since last year. I was trying to compare 97 and 98 with last year and this year respectively.

Offline bsfellers

• A Shoat
  • I am the eggman
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:49:08 PM »

then the individual proposing said comparison has smoked himself retartered.

I have a sudden craving for fish sticks. 

You can't hide those Chinese eyes

Offline Trigger7672

• Boar
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:41:21 PM »
I am agreeing with you. I think. How much PT did Stoerner get in 97? I was trying to make the point that Stoerner improved from 97 to 98 and so Robert Johnson could have done the same so people shouldn't be so upset if by chance Johnson was to be the starter against USC. He may have improved since last year. I was trying to compare 97 and 98 with last year and this year respectively.

Stoerner had back to back 80 yard TD passes against LSU which was the last game of the 97 season. That I remember.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
Stoerner had back to back 80 yard TD passes against LSU which was the last game of the 97 season. That I remember.

Stoerner struggled at first in ;97 but he looked pretty damn solid towards the end of the year.  Granted, I was expecting our team to be mediocre in 98 but I thought Stoerner had the most potential of any QB we'd had since Grovey, which althought it wasn't saying much was significant.  It was obvious to everyone he was light years ahead of Pete Burks.

Offline Trigger7672

• Boar
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 11:05:25 PM »
Actually Stoerner broke the school record for passing yards in a season in 97 with 2,347 yards, breaking the previous record held by Joe Ferguson.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:23:42 PM »
Actually Stoerner broke the school record for passing yards in a season in 97 with 2,347 yards, breaking the previous record held by Joe Ferguson.

It seemed like that year Stoerner would get it to Lucas and Eubanks and get us down to the 20 or 10 and our offense would completely stall because we had no running backs.  Poor Eric Branch and Rod Stinson were the guys we had to lean on and they couldn't pull it off.  Ford would stick with the run even if we were losing yards, God bless him.  I remember Stoerner made him some mistakes and threw a lot of INTs that year but the funny thing was that he would pass for a crapload of yards and would end up with no TD passes and we wouldn't score many points.  He had a lot of stat lines like 15-27 for 245 yard, 1 TD, 2 INTs that year.

That LSU game was really something, though.  That gave us something to look forward to that entire off-season. 

Offline TardMullettDaHawg

• Tush Hog
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:37:09 PM »
I still think Stoerner deserved some sort of "Medal of Honor" for surviving that season.  The poor guy was running for his life every snap and took some viscious hits.  He definitely proved he was one tough sumbitch in '97.

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 11:38:33 PM »
I still think Stoerner deserved some sort of "Medal of Honor" for surviving that season.  The poor guy was running for his life every snap and took some viscious hits.  He definitely proved he was one tough sumbitch in '97.

That's where he learned that wicked pump-fake.  He could pull that shit off twenty yards downfield and make it work.

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 08:06:34 AM »
I believe he set the record for being sacked in '97.

<--- I'm with him

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:18:11 AM »
I believe he set the record for being sacked in '97.

The sad thing is, he was a slippery QB to sack.  That O-line was the worst line I ever remember at UA.  We couldn't run or pass protect worth a crap that year.

Jean-Luc PIGard

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 10:03:33 AM »
That's where he learned that wicked pump-fake.  He could pull that shit off twenty yards downfield and make it work.

Speaking of Stoerner's pump fake...where the hell has the hitch and the hitch and go gone to?   Stoerner and Lucas made a good living on that hitch and go.   

Offline Filthy_McSwine

• Boar
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 12:52:11 PM »
Speaking of Stoerner's pump fake...where the hell has the hitch and the hitch and go gone to?   Stoerner and Lucas made a good living on that hitch and go.   

That was before Nutts' nuts atrophied.

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 01:22:34 PM »
I'll never forget the Florida game a couple or 3 years ago or so at home.  We kept running that fucking 5 yard out over andover and over.  The DB finally jumped the route and took it to the house.  I was yelling every time we threw that to do a fucking hitch and go and it would be a sure TD.  We had that fucker set up perfectly and we never ran it. 

Nutt could actually use his predictable shit to his advantage sometimes if he would just keep the fucking D honest on some things.  They crowd the line because we are running it EVERY time, fucking bust a TE down the middle and burn the fuckers.  Even if it doesn't work, it will get the safety off the LOS maybe.  Do a hitch and go and it will keep the Dbacks from jumping the 5yard out every time.  Fuck Nutt isn't even a High School coach I think.  Shit, just ruined my day thinking of that play. 

We evenually came back and almost won, which made me even more sick that we gave them a TD return  because Nutt is an ignorant fuck.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 07:23:05 PM »
Speaking of Stoerner's pump fake...where the Starkville has the hitch and the hitch and go gone to?   Stoerner and Lucas made a good living on that hitch and go.   

That hitch Lucas went the length of the field against SMU was the most exciting play in the past 5 years of UA football.  I loved it.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 10:06:47 PM »
ummm, that happened in September of 1998.

but, arguably you are correct.

Poor phaseology.  I meant in the previous 5 years PRIOR to that play.  There have been more exciting moments since.

I am well aware of the length of Nutt's duration at UA and I was at that game.