Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: USC scrimmage yesterday  (Read 3469 times)

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

USC scrimmage yesterday
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:27:07 PM »
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081406aab.html

Doesn't sound like their offense was too stellar yesterday.

Offline Jostlyn McCocksack

• Wise guy extraordinare. Faded weekly
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
Re: USC scrimmage yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:32:13 PM »
Yeah well they play against thier first team.

"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »
so does that mean that 6 turnovers and 5 sacks is ok? What are you trying to say? I know that in our scrimmage we didn't go against our 1st team D but I wasn't talking about Razorbacks. I was making an observation about Trojans. So if we would have had 6 turnovers and gave up 5 sacks in our scrimmage are you saying that you would be ok with that as long as it was against the 1st team defense?????

Offline The Red Death

• He ain’t fat y’all.
  • Boar
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081406aab.html

Doesn't sound like their offense was too stellar yesterday.

Don't get your hopes up.  Pete Carroll is a defensive coach and their D will be awesome.  Which brings me to the conclusion as to why Mustain won't be starting that game.  They don't want to ruin him ala Robert Johnson last year.  USC's defense will score 21 points against us.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job

• King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »
so does that mean that 6 turnovers and 5 sacks is ok? What are you trying to say? I know that in our scrimmage we didn't go against our 1st team D but I wasn't talking about Razorbacks. I was making an observation about Trojans. So if we would have had 6 turnovers and gave up 5 sacks in our scrimmage are you saying that you would be ok with that as long as it was against the 1st team defense?????

No.  It is extremely difficult to be successful against a team that is familiar with your system, players, coaches. . .especially when the defense's experience far outweighs the offense.  They were able to run the football with a lot of success. . .why? It is easier to run block, and does not require the technique, timing, and what not that the run block does.   

Something tells me that USC got a lot better offensively in their scrimmage.  Which is better, watching Johnson throw up backyard "500" passes to Marcus Monk against the walkons and shoemakers, or getting in some work against kids that are as, or more, talented than yourself? I guess that is all in the eye of the beholder.

Bobby Knight

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:08:37 PM »
Let me go ahead and break it down here. My point is that they are not unbeatable. Am I saying that we will beat them? NO. If our offense had posted those stats in our scrimmage then everyone would be spitting fire on here and I bet there are quite a few USC fans that aren't too happy about it happening to them. If that had happened in our scrimmage we would all be mad. I don'(t care if we did it against the Baltimore Ravens defense. I was just trying to shed some positive light. Sometimes the negativity out there just wears me out. Also, is Carrol really that great of a defensive coach? Let's ask some Fresno fans what they think of his defensive mind. Pete Carrol is probably the best recruiter out there and that is what he is great at. Having the best players in the country over the last 3 years made it pretty easy to win. Does he have the best players in the country this year? We don't know. Recruiting services say so but what do they know? (Brock Berlin)

footbalLiSoUrgame

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:39 PM »
Let me go ahead and break it down here. My point is that they are not unbeatable. Am I saying that we will beat them? NO. If our offense had posted those stats in our scrimmage then everyone would be spitting fire on here and I bet there are quite a few USC fans that aren't too happy about it happening to them. If that had happened in our scrimmage we would all be mad. I don'(t care if we did it against the Baltimore Ravens defense. I was just trying to shed some positive light. Sometimes the negativity out there just wears me out. Also, is Carrol really that great of a defensive coach? Let's ask some Fresno fans what they think of his defensive mind. Pete Carrol is probably the best recruiter out there and that is what he is great at. Having the best players in the country over the last 3 years made it pretty easy to win. Does he have the best players in the country this year? We don't know. Recruiting services say so but what do they know? (Brock Berlin)

Yep, Berlin was only 20-5 as a starter. 5,000 yards in 2 years. A out and out bust.  And battling to backup with the Dolphins. I would start Robert Johnson.

Offline The Red Death

• He ain’t fat y’all.
  • Boar
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:28:40 PM »

They are not unbeatable but considering we lost to them by 153 points last year you'll have a hard time convincing anyone.  And their third string could've run up 70 on our first team last year.  I was there and I've never seen a team so unprepared and physically overmatched in my life.  Arkansas has to go out and earn their respect back because I tell ya I was on the fire the whole sorry coaching staff bandwagon on the plane back from LA.  I saw Hog fans going back home wearing Leinart and Bush jerseys.  That's how bad it was.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:46:32 PM »
Yep, Berlin was only 20-5 as a starter. 5,000 yards in 2 years. A out and out bust.  And battling to backup with the Dolphins. I would start Robert Johnson.
You are right. Recruiting services know all and Brock Berlin is great. In all seriousness Berlin is a good QB but he never lived up to the recruiting hype. He was supposed to be the next Joe Montana coming out of high school and I don't think anyone sees that happening. Not saying that I wouldn't have taken him as a Razorback cause I sure would have. Recruiting services don't know anything still. They just give us something to read during the summer when we can't stand it because there is no football. There is a reason that Damian Williams wasn't a five star reciever and it wasn't because he wasn't good enough.

footbalLiSoUrgame

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 09:53:19 PM »
You are right. Recruiting services know all and Brock Berlin is great. In all seriousness Berlin is a good QB but he never lived up to the recruiting hype. He was supposed to be the next Joe Montana coming out of high school and I don't think anyone sees that happening. Not saying that I wouldn't have taken him as a Razorback cause I sure would have. Recruiting services don't know anything still. They just give us something to read during the summer when we can't stand it because there is no football. There is a reason that Damian Williams wasn't a five star reciever and it wasn't because he wasn't good enough.

There is also a reason why the teams that end up in the Top 10 usually end up in the Top 10 in recruiting every year. There is definately a correlation. Like everything there are exceptions, but on average the top recruiting classes do well.

• King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:55:18 PM »

He was a four star, and a top 100 recruit, is there really that much difference?   So you are telling me that Damian is worthy of a fifth star? For what reason?  And since we know that these guys don't know shit about anything, then is it safe to assume that Mitch is extremely overrated?

Bobby Knight

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:08:27 PM »
He was a four star, and a top 100 recruit, is there really that much difference?   So you are telling me that Damian is worthy of a fifth star? For what reason?  And since we know that these guys don't know aMm about anything, then is it safe to assume that Mitch is extremely overrated?
Damian is worth a fifth star because Mitch got 5 stars. I believe I watched Springdale play 6 times last year(4 in person) and every game I watched Damian take a 3 yard pass from Mustain and take it about 60 yards to the house. I would be willing to bet that at least 50% of Mustains passing yards were from YAC and probably 25% of that was from Williams. I would like to see the actual numbers on that. So I say if Mitch gets 5 stars then Damian gets 5 stars. I think Damian was the best player on the team. I know quite a few who share that thought with me. I know Damian is compared to other recievers around the country and Mitch is compared to QBs but I don't care.

footbalLiSoUrgame

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 10:10:38 PM »
Damian is worth a fifth star because Mitch got 5 stars. I believe I watched Springdale play 6 times last year(4 in person) and every game I watched Damian take a 3 yard pass from Mustain and take it about 60 yards to the house. I would be willing to bet that at least 50% of Mustains passing yards were from YAC and probably 25% of that was from Williams. I would like to see the actual numbers on that. So I say if Mitch gets 5 stars then Damian gets 5 stars. I think Damian was the best player on the team. I know quite a few who share that thought with me. I know Damian is compared to other recievers around the country and Mitch is compared to QBs but I don't care.

So back to your previous statement that the recruiting services know nothing, then that means they are BOTH overrated? I am confused.

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 10:13:21 PM »
No. I think they both deserved 5 stars

• King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 10:14:35 PM »

Damian took 3 yard catches to the house because of great blocking, 9 other division one players around him, oh yeah, and because he was talented, but not that alone.   He has great feet, and is extremely shifty, but I just find it hard to believe that he will be anything more than a solid SEC receiver (which by the way is still pretty fuckin good).

Bobby Knight

Snoop Hoggy Hogg

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 10:19:48 PM »
javascript:ol('http://media.putfile.com/Damian-Williams---the-future-of-Razorback-Football');

this reminds so much of the Reggie Bush HS highlight video. I see D Will as much more than just a solid SEC reciever before its all said and done. That is as long as Gus remains the OC.

footbalLiSoUrgame

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 10:35:57 PM »
You are aware that your coach is just a notch above our coach dont you?

I'm afraid you're about to be the perennial bridesmaid in the West....

Oh, and USC probably wont finish in the top 10 this year....

No I wasn't aware ot that. BUT, if that is the case, I bet he don't see an eighth year.

Offline bsfellers

• A Shoat
  • I am the eggman
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 10:42:17 PM »
No I wasn't aware ot that. BUT, if that is the case, I bet he don't see an eighth year.
PorkPhace!

You can't hide those Chinese eyes

Offline HogJam

• Boar
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 10:45:20 PM »
PorkPhace!

In order for a PHACE, the recipient must not be retarted.

The majority of our fans probably are happy with their $14,000 per year job, a "good Christian" coaching the hogs, and Hee Haw on Saturday nights.....

rimrocker

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 11:24:07 PM »
Because you're over hiring Mike Archer when you interviewed Steve Spurrier, Mike Shanahan and Mack Brown?

Offline Return of the Hogi

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »

FWIW, I know a couple of fairly knowledgable people who watched S-Dale a few times last year and thought DW was the best player on S-Dales team last year as well.  They are not Grit followers or recruiting service addicts either, so they would have reasonably objective point of view.  As far as Mustain goes, his talent is undeniable, but it always disturbed me greatly that he was never under center and never pressured.  I dont care what anyone says or thinks, that leaves a helluva lot of unanswered questions for a QB recruit.  I wish we would have went ahead and taken Stegall along with Mustain at this point.  I loved Stegall's film, and I could not believe his offer list until lightning struck in Miami.  I wanted them to take him regardless, but when Mustain commited I let that go.  Stegall would have been the second most talented QB on this team IMO.       

Offline PigNuggets

• A Shoat
  • We SUCK!!! We SUCK!!! We SUCK!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 03:05:01 PM »
javascript:ol('http://media.putfile.com/Damian-Williams---the-future-of-Razorback-Football');

this reminds so much of the Reggie Bush HS highlight video. I see D Will as much more than just a solid SEC reciever before its all said and done. That is as long as Gus remains the OC.

Good film, the difference this year is going to be the Dbacks he will face are not going to miss tackles, will be as fast as he is, wont blow coverage 15 plays a game, and have talent. 
I hope MM and DW are both all world for the UofA, and they seem to have the talent.  My only question on both of them is how will they respond to the level of SEC footall.