Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Adding RAM  (Read 2425 times)

Offline iNOVAhog

• Boar
  • woopig.net
Adding RAM
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »
I got a toshiba notebook which I stupidly got with only 256 MB.  The nearest service center will charge $175 to upgrade to 1 GB.  Is it worth it to add it myself?  Is it hard to do?  Do you guys do it yourselves?  My warrenty is about to run out so I can open this baby up soon without voiding it.

Bane

Re: Adding RAM
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
I got a toshiba notebook which I stupidly got with only 256 MB.  The nearest service center will charge $175 to upgrade to 1 GB.  Is it worth it to add it myself?  Is it hard to do?  Do you guys do it yourselves?  My warrenty is about to run out so I can open this baby up soon without voiding it.

I've never done anything RAM-wise to a notebook, but everything I read says it's a piece of cake.  BUT - is that $175 including the cost of the RAM?  If so, let them do it as you can't get a gig of RAM for less than a hundred bucks from a reputable dealer like Crucial.

Offline VerotiK

• Inventor of Kitten Mittens
  • Boar
  • All over your face
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 03:32:44 PM »
It is very easy.  Look on the bottom of your laptop.  There will be a small door that should be somehow labeled with a "M" or it could not be labeled at all.  You can pick up a gig for anywhere from $60-75 at newegg.com.  It'll take you 30 seconds to change out. 

If your woman is hideous, well, maybe don't come talk to me.  --Cerdo 2011

Offline iNOVAhog

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:20:37 PM »
Thanks fellas.  If you have architectural or building questions, let me return the favor.