Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cigar Smokers?  (Read 9311 times)

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
Cigar Smokers?
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:54:36 PM »
Anyone else smoke cigars here? Just wondering what everyone liked and/or disliked. I'm sort of novice when it comes to quality just like some are with wines, but I do enjoy a good cigar every now and then. I don't smoke cigarettes and never have but for whatever reason I have for probably the last 8 years gotten more and more into smoking cigars. My dad used to drop a shot of conaic in a jar with 5 or 6 plain cigars and let those cigars soak up the conaic...it made for a good cigar. I know the good ones are aged for about a year in some sort of cedar or other wood.

Anyone ever buy online?

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline Deja Vu

• President of Leo Propst Fan Club
  • Boar
  • Thread Killer
Re: Cigar Smokers?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:24:21 PM »
Cognac.

If you're going to become an aficionado, you'll have to get the language down.

I like cigars. It's just a matter of preference. I suggest going into a cigar shop and talk smoke with the dude running the joint and see what he recommends. I don't have a particular favorite, but I sure would love to smoke a Cuban sometime.

I'm perplexed by the negative feedback. I just don't get it. What's wrong with you?

No, why are ya'll going through my myspace and stuff, obsessive??

Online Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:56:21 PM »
Cognac.

If you're going to become an aficionado, you'll have to get the language down.

I like cigars. It's just a matter of preference. I suggest going into a cigar shop and talk smoke with the dude running the joint and see what he recommends. I don't have a particular favorite, but I sure would love to smoke a Cuban sometime.

Yeah I used to go to a shop down in Benton called Michaels but I'm never down that way anymore. Pretty cool old hippie dude and he has some pretty high end stuff in there from what I recall...he would hook me and my dad up with free shit when we fixed his AC but he hasn't called in a while so I don't know what ever become of him.

Bruce Lee

Offline Deja Vu

• Boar
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:59:19 PM »

Yeah I used to go to a shop down in Benton called Michaels but I'm never down that way anymore. Pretty cool old hippie dude and he has some pretty high end stuff in there from what I recall...he would hook me and my dad up with free shit when we fixed his AC but he hasn't called in a while so I don't know what ever become of him.
I saw that dude. Last time I got visual he was cameoing on That 70's Show.

I'm perplexed by the negative feedback. I just don't get it. What's wrong with you?

Online Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:03:09 PM »
I saw that dude. Last time I got visual he was cameoing on That 70's Show.

No, that's my uncle joe...your getting them confused.

Bruce Lee

Offline lawtiger

• Loyal Citizen of Zamunda
  • King of the Hogs
  • Sexual Chocolate
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »
I don't have a particular favorite, but I sure would love to smoke a Cuban sometime.

I am certainly not an afficianado, but I was underwhelmed by the Cuban Cohiba I had in Canada.  It was good, but did not live up to the hype.  We had some Dominicans that were just as good...and much less expensive.

I'm gonna be bigger than Jesus
Bigger than wrestling
Bigger than the Beatles
And bigger than breast implants

Offline Deja Vu

• Boar
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 09:51:18 AM »
I am certainly not an afficianado, but I was underwhelmed by the Cuban Cohiba I had in Canada.  It was good, but did not live up to the hype.  We had some Dominicans that were just as good...and much less expensive.
Did you get them at Magic Pan? Were they hand rolling the crepes?

You wouldn't be trying to pass off Dominicans as Cubans, would you?

Offline lawtiger

• King of the Hogs
  • Sexual Chocolate
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »
Did you get them at Magic Pan? Were they hand rolling the crepes?

You wouldn't be trying to pass off Dominicans as Cubans, would you?

I would respond substantively...if I had any idea what you're trying to say.

Bigger than wrestling
Bigger than the Beatles

Offline Seven

• A Shoat
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »
I used to really spend a lot of time and money searching for the best cigars. Now it's gotten to the point the only place you can smoke one is hiding out in your own basement.  I know about the golf course, but I can't really enjoy a good cigar digging balls out of sand traps.However, if I might suggest any from "Arturo Fuente", you'll be pleased. There is a group of Hemingways that is excellent, with various ring sizes and lenghts. Try a short story, usually less than $5 and a good smoke. If you ever get a shot at one called OPUS X, buy it. Pricey, but the finest I've found.

Offline Deja Vu

• Boar
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 05:46:08 PM »
If you ever get a shot at one called OPUS X, buy it. Pricey, but the finest I've found.
If you smoke one of those, do you have to wear a cilice and flog yourself?

Offline Seven

• A Shoat
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »
Nope, I'm not putting any more hair down there than what there is. As far as the floggin' you'd have to check with ThroatRocket, I think he's the offfical web asswhooper !! ;D

Offline SpaCity

• WALLY!
  • A Shoat
  • Pissing people off for over 37 years!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 11:34:29 PM »
I too was let down by Cuban cigars that I got while in Canada as well.  Maybe they just ship the cheap shit up there, who knows.   Personally I like to smoke Punch, they have a nice flavor and an overall good burn.   

Dave VanHorn, you're our only hope.

Offline Kill The Ref

• Tush Hog
  • Dirty, Dirty Pig Boy.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 04:11:37 PM »
Anyone else smoke cigars here? Just wondering what everyone liked and/or disliked. I'm sort of novice when it comes to quality just like some are with wines, but I do enjoy a good cigar every now and then. I don't smoke cigarettes and never have but for whatever reason I have for probably the last 8 years gotten more and more into smoking cigars. My dad used to drop a shot of conaic in a jar with 5 or 6 plain cigars and let those cigars soak up the conaic...it made for a good cigar. I know the good ones are aged for about a year in some sort of cedar or other wood.

Anyone ever buy online?

I have purchased many, many boxes from Payless Cigars

They are out of New Orleans.

Online Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 06:02:48 PM »
I think what I need to do is enclose my back patio (don't want to smoke inside the house). Right now when I go outside I'll get carried away by all manner of bugs. I shouldn't let this get in the way of smoking a good cigar but then again I really couldn't enjoy one where I'm at without creating a better atmosphere in which to enjoy said cigar.

Now that I've redone my living room with all new AV equipment, I can now turn my attention to the back patio area...just need to get motivated and that's hard to do this time of the year but I think I can get a lot of it done in one or two weekends. I really need my dad to come over to get me lined out...otherwise I'll build everything 5 inches out of square and it will look like shit.

I'd like to create an enclosed multipurpose patio...where I can seal it up easy enough but still yet have it to where it will feel like a back patio and not a unconditioned back room. Something where I can entertain guests still yet smoke cigars, meat, and grille...and all that without the bugs minus the screened in porch look.

Bruce Lee

Offline Lurking Tiger

• Tush Hog
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »

I'm not a huge cigar smoker, but I also like the Dominicans. Try a Griffin.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Offline lawtiger

• King of the Hogs
  • Sexual Chocolate
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 07:44:30 AM »
I'm not a huge cigar smoker, but I also like the Dominicans. Try a Griffin.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Any recommendations off that list?

Bigger than wrestling
Bigger than the Beatles

Offline Kill The Ref

• Tush Hog
  • Dirty, Dirty Pig Boy.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
My favorite everyday smoke is anything by AVO. The AVO XO's would be my first choice in their family of cigars. I like a big 50-52 ring something like Avo XO Maestoso. Very good smokes. :thumbup:

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »
I was at one time a big fan of Tresado #2's, until the company quit making them.   :'(  I'm pretty much a big fan of any light bodied dominican brand with smaller ring guages.  I'm also a little too impatient to sit for long periods of time to enjoy churchills.  If you are wanting to just try a few and see what you like, you can go online to JR's or another big seller, i like JR's, and get one of their samplers.  That will give you several of the same "type" of cigar that you can try, and without the expense of buying a whole box or bundle that you may not like. 

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline SpaCity

• WALLY!
  • A Shoat
  • Pissing people off for over 37 years!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 01:16:28 AM »
Animal, if you have post spaced at regular intervals, you could get some screens that will keep you bug free.  Drop by your local Lowe's, (in the Millwork Dept.) and ask them about enclosed screening options. 

Dave VanHorn, you're our only hope.

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Tush Hog
  • We are the like
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »
I enjoy Cusano 18 year double Connecticuts. At $4 dollars i really enjoy them.

β€œAn intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
― Aldous Huxley

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 07:13:35 AM »
I used to really spend a lot of time and money searching for the best cigars. Now it's gotten to the point the only place you can smoke one is hiding out in your own basement.  I know about the golf course, but I can't really enjoy a good cigar digging balls out of sand traps.However, if I might suggest any from "Arturo Fuente", you'll be pleased. There is a group of Hemingways that is excellent, with various ring sizes and lenghts. Try a short story, usually less than $5 and a good smoke. If you ever get a shot at one called OPUS X, buy it. Pricey, but the finest I've found.

good taste man.   Fuente consistently makes the best cigars you can buy in the states.  Their "Double Chateux Fuente" and the "Hemmingway signatures" are great, The "Opus X" (about $14-$16) is by far one of the best smokes available without springing for a Cuban Monte Cristo #2, if you can find one.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • K.Briles darksider #2.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 09:58:29 PM »
Funny to find this while looking for a thread to Lazarus-ize.  Never smoked anything until late 2018 when a client gave me a few branded cigars as a celebration of finishing up a one-of-a-kind federal project in Washington state.  Branded as in Garney had their logo burned into the outer wrapper leaf.  Outlaw Gunslinger Perdition's and they were great even for a first-timer.  I burned down two and kept my last one in the individual plastic wrap as a memento of that project and the dudes I got to work with.

I got a box of AJ Fernandez Belles Artes coming to me.  When we get the next two projects finished up I plan to be sitting in front of the office with our work crew enjoying a few of those.  Work celebrations are the only reason I have to smoke any.  I really really want to get my company's name branded on 100 or so to give out as year-end gifts to field crews, office staff, and clients..... if anyone has an idea who does that kind of stuff, fuck let me know por favor.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline Peanut Adams

• fuck Chad Morris and the horse he rode in on and turn that damn jukebox on!!
  • Tush Hog
  • pincher of harmonics
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 10:26:50 PM »
I don't get cigars. So you just suck the smoke into your mouth for the taste and then exhale and chew on the end while holding it in your mouth like groucho marx or what?

Do they get you fucked up? (the good version)

Offline Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »
I don't get cigars. So you just suck the smoke into your mouth for the taste and then exhale and chew on the end while holding it in your mouth like groucho marx or what?

Do they get you fucked up? (the good version)
I love sitting back in a big smoking chair, smoking a good cigar, while sipping on some scotch or bourbon. Mostly, for me, it's the smell. It's also very relaxing and soothing.

Offline Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • K.Briles darksider #2.
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »
I also put on a gray Homburg hat, or maybe even a top hat if I'm feeling fancy.  No need for a monocle or cane yet.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.