Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Advice on starting a new career?  (Read 9333 times)

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
Advice on starting a new career?
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:05:30 PM »
So, not the best place to post this, but thought I would throw this out here.

I am a teacher who has figured out he doesn't really like to teach.  I have always been successful and highly awarded in my field, but have always hidden the fact that I have disliked it from day one.

After 10 years (and a bachleor's and master's in education), I am desperate for a new career.  Any suggestions on where to start?  If I was single this would be a simple decision, but married with a child presents a whole new aspect.

"If life gives you lemons, fuck life."  - Sir John Michael of Oklahoma

Offline Filthy_McSwine

• Tush Hog
Re: Advice on starting a new career?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:24:11 AM »
You've got balls as big as church bells to post a question like that here...

At any rate, what are you interested in?  My wife has looked into medical type stuff, like a radiology tech.  Something like that seems to offer a good compromise between the amount of school involved and starting salary.  You obviously don't have a problem with school, other than having to do it on the side.

Offline VerotiK

• Inventor of Kitten Mittens
  • Boar
  • All over your face
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:55:52 AM »
Try looking into the medical field.  People are always sick and dying. And they pay pretty good.  Even though your degree is in education, you should be able to get a job at most places anyway with a masters.

If your woman is hideous, well, maybe don't come talk to me.  --Cerdo 2011

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:16:35 AM »
I was in a similar situation as you.

I was in IT and couldn't stand it.  I didn't know what I wanted to do so I went with what
the hot field was at the time. 

When deciding I had to make a change I thought about what I liked in general terms(I like working with people directly and getting
to know them)  I had always thought about Med school, but never acted on it for some reason.  I was 29 and getting married so 8 years
towards a new career before I even really got going wasn't appealing to me, even though my wife supported me if I had chosen that direction.

I ended up deciding on physical therapy.  I shadowed a PT for a couple of days.  Then while going back to get pre reqs before I could apply, I worked in a PT clinic(1yr).  In fact, I made such great relationships while I was there, they offered me a job once I was accepted to PT school and even gave me a sizeable sign on bonus.  Needless to say the experience made me certain that PT was for me before I went into debt going to grad school.  I'm starting my second year(of 3) of PT school and I can tell you I can't even imagine being in the job field I was in before I decided to change.

You may have already gone through this, but I sort of felt like a schmuck because I didn't already have my career path set in stone like a lot of others.  You may go back to school... don't let the fact that you are in there with younger(making you feel out of place) people keep you from making a change that's good for you AND your family.

The very pants I was returning!

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 04:44:22 PM »
1. List things that you like to do. Be sure not to list something that is a hobby that would turn into "work" when it becomes "work"...that's bad. A lot of guys love working on old cars but when it becomes their career choices of turning wrenches all day...it gets old quick.

2. List things that you feel like you could make money at that are attainable at your age and education level.

3. Do your research on these other career interests, don't just jump in with both feet.

4. Make sure you are't jumping into a career field that largely won't exist 10 or 15 years from now. This is a biggie in many cases, 10 years ago everyone needed IT people. Now systems are less complicated and more streamlined needing less and less administratiors and more low level administrators that do and know very little and get paid even less. In addition IT education here in Arkansas is woefully awful in comparison to other states...thus not preparing students for the work force. Hot IT fields today are cold by the time your done with the schooling.

5. Be prepared or at least willing to move if need be.

6. Re-examine why you hate the job you are currently at...don't be afraid to go see a professional. It may sound stupid but who knows, perhaps you have some deeper issues that have little to do with work and more to do with internal issues that bleed down into your everyday work life. List the reasons why you hate your job. Is it because you would rather be on the move, possibly working outdoors? Is it the stress of dealing with the drama of everyday rigors of working within the education system? Is it the constant red tape? You want stress, try running your own company. You want drama, try running your own company with your close family members.

Changing careers is a very scary thing, I've had to think about doing it a few times. I'm not in love with my career choice but I've made peace with it and do like that I can pretty much take off to the deerwoods in the fall anytime I feel like it. I like the freedom that comes with the territory. I like the hands on approach of running a company. I like feeling like I've done someone a good service and they got their monies worth. I've made sacrficies to get to where I'm at. I realize I could have been making 60 or 70k a year had I continued my education and original career choice. I don't like working for others. I don't like being "managed" so I took less money and joined the family business.

Above all of this advice, in literal terms the medical field is a solid choice, but don't disregard the need in the services field. There is a large lacking of people with special skills in the various service industries and these jobs are largely well paying. As people become more and more dependent on technology and other machines they'll become less and less willing or able to work on these items. We are entering an age where everyday occurances will be literally spoon-fed to us via whatever technology that has been developed to do so. I'm getting into the time machine for a moment but do you actually think people will really be able to think on such mundane levels? People will always require special services and that need will continue to grow.

Twenty years ago every high school boy had shop class where they learned everything from changing the oil in their car to operating a skill saw. Kids today don't know anything about shop class, that was probably replaced by some sort of Auto CAD class or something like that. When we think of industrial jobs, we think of dirty jobs...in fact that is not always the case. While some of these jobs are certainly blue colllar, many of them are becoming more white collar every year.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 05:15:29 PM »
Thank you for the solid post(s) above. 

This is a hard question to ask on here (as some one mentioned above).  I know there are deeper issues related to my dislike of my career.  I plan on taking steps to help fix that.  The situation has spiraled downward to the point of not knowing what to do until I can get out of this trap.

What I really need is a job.  Something that will pay the bills until I can get back straight and really decide what direction to go.  The problem is most "jobs" are $8 an hour.  Financially (even with the willingness to give up some luxuries) I don't know how I can do this.  I have figured out that if I could find a local job without the commute I could take a $15,000 hit and be okay. 

Tough call, sanity or security.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 09:42:04 AM »
Never have truer words been spoken.   :stunned:

My teachers at UA told me there would only be increased demand.

They were so certain...   O0

The very pants I was returning!

Offline Beatrix Kiddo

• Don't wish it were easier. Wish you were better.
  • Tush Hog
  • No Excuses
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:41:12 PM »
I understand where you're coming from.  I'm in the same situation.  I have a job that pays great and I'm good at what I do...really good.  Everyone tells me that I need to stay in this field because I am really good at my job but I hate it!  Accounting bores me to tears.  I can't imagine staying in this field for the rest of my life.  I'm sort of stuck right now because my husband just graduated and is starting his career but hopefully once he gets settled in I can get out of this field.  I hope to go to massage therapy school.  That's really my dream job. 

Good luck to you.  I hope it all turns out the way you'd like.  :thumbup:

"Cardio respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, power, speed, flexibility, agility, accuracy, balance, and coordination:  You're as good as your weakest link."

Offline chop sooie

• King of the Hogs
  • Records were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 04:35:20 PM »

This is a hard question to ask on here (as some one mentioned above).  I know there are deeper issues related to my dislike of my career.  I plan on taking steps to help fix that.  The situation has spiraled downward to the point of not knowing what to do until I can get out of this trap.

What I really need is a job.  Something that will pay the bills until I can get back straight and really decide what direction to go.  The problem is most "jobs" are $8 an hour.  Financially (even with the willingness to give up some luxuries) I don't know how I can do this.  I have figured out that if I could find a local job without the commute I could take a $15,000 hit and be okay. 

Dude, you are not nearly as alone as you may have thought you were when you posted this question.  I am 30-freaking-five years old and have never had what I would consider a real "career" to speak of.  The closest I came was the last 3 years working at the WalMart home office, and for the first 8 months or so I really liked it, because a) it seemed to be the beginning of what I could finally consider a real legit "career," and b) I was on an upward learning curve which is the place I always do the best. But, after about a year and a half there, things spiraled downhill, and quick. I got fed up with the retail thing very quickly, and nothing there was about the employee, rather it was about filling the bottom dollar. Also there was nothing really left for me to learn in the position I was in, and things got very repetitive. I imagine it is much the same way with lots of folks, such as Beatrix above, you can do something you are very good at, but if it becomes repetitive, they may as well have a robot doing it. That's what I felt like, and because of my other feelings toward the company in general, I was in a real bind trying to figure out whether to try to get promoted to a new position, or leave the company outright, and I wrestled with this scenario for another year before deciding to take a chance and just quit. I had no job prospects, and little money saved. And it took me 3 months to find another full time salaried job, one that I just started last week and think I'll be happy with for a little while but not forever. Then, it will be time to make that decision again. SO, in answer to your "sanity vs security" question, (also, I'm not allowed within like 50 yards of any school) go with sanity. I know this would be a more difficult decision for you, having other family members to consider (I didn't), but I look back now and have no doubt I made the right decision, even if it took me a while to find something else and even if what I found is probably not worth staying at for more than a few years. Because perhaps in that time I can really figure it out, and you can too.

I have never in my life known what exactly it is I was supposed to be doing on this planet. The best "job" I ever had, was drawing a comic strip for the Traveler at the UA. No joke. I was scared to death to start it, but once I did and got favorable feedback from other students, it was all I wanted to do. I wish I could parlay that into a career, a la Gary Larson, but I've always been under-confident.  :-\

My sister did not know what she wanted to do for a long time. Her husband started in PT, and while he was in school and she was working, she would quiz him on subjects, and she discovered that she too had a real interest in the medical profession herself, so once he began working full time, she went back to school and became a nurse and she loves it. And she did it with a husband and two very small kids. It is worth doing.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 04:39:41 PM by chop sooie »
"The only person that said anything you should be offended by is chop sooie and I think most have learned to ignore him by now."

-LashHog, 06/09/2008

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
That worries me too.  That my problem is not just teaching, but a personality issue that always makes me looking for the next bigger and better thing. 

Thanks again for all the well thought out and worthwhile replies.

Offline VerotiK

• Boar
  • All over your face

Offline chop sooie

• King of the Hogs
  • Records were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:24:56 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/worklife/08/15/cb.get.ahead/index.html

Man I hate completely obvious shit like this-- This is the kind of crap you hear on John Tesh's radio program, along with "Studies have shown that if you drive slower, you won't get as many speeding tickets."

"The only person that said anything you should be offended by is chop sooie and I think most have learned to ignore him by now."

-LashHog, 06/09/2008

Offline VerotiK

• Boar
  • All over your face
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:39:42 AM »
Its also amazing how so many people dont follow the obvious shit.

Offline Seven

• A Shoat
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 03:55:56 PM »
Look around for some sales positions. There are always openings. Be a little selective cause there are some aMm ones out there. You've obviously got the smarts to learn a product and with some desire you can make a good living. Hell, I'm feeding a wife and two kids and dumb as a stump and lazy as hell. It can be done.. :)

Offline SteveJ

• ElvisHog of ye olden days
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »
Shoot man, I'm doing it right now.  Most everything said above is true from the research my wife and I have done.  One thing that has rung loud and clear in the articles I've read is that the most important thing is just working hard at it.  A good plan is a must, but you don't necessarily need to have all of the details worked out beforehand, well...depending on your situation.  I'm staying with my job until I see that the work is steady or the prospects of steady work are imminent.  Hopefully that's sooner than later...

Do something you love doing.  Busting your ass for yourself is way different than busting it for someone else and not reaping the benefits of it.

And by the way, if anyone knows of anyone that could benefit from web development, database work, or web application development, email me at sjackson@jacksontechnologies.net.   ;D

The website will be up by the end of the weekend, hopefully.

Offline cotte

• Retired Woopig Softballah
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »

Take classes during the day and wait tables at night.

We're going to pick em up when they come off the damn bus. We gonna guard people.
Mike Anderson - March 26th, 2011

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 06:20:06 PM »
Some things are starting to come together.  It may not be immediate, but I as I start asking some connections I have outside of teaching I am starting to see hear some options.  A little more time putting some savings back and I may be clear. 

Thanks for all the tips.

Offline ManBearPig

• Science be praised!
  • Wild Hog
  • I'm the single biggest threat to our planet.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »
So, I'm curious: How goes the career change?  I'm just now at that crossroads myself, and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a little nervous and scared.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 09:05:26 PM »
So, I'm curious: How goes the career change?  I'm just now at that crossroads myself, and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a little nervous and scared.

Food for thought......

If you are single, then consider doing travel in the medical field (nurse, radiology, physical therapy.....).  The pay is top notch.  I have been traveling for 7 years now and I make more in 6 months than if I was working at a hospital back home.  It sucks being away from my family while I'm on assignment, but it is nice to be relaxing and spending time with my family and friends when I'm off work.  I usually take off 4-5 months out of the year.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »
Some prospects, but nothing firm yet.  Had an interview the other day that I am waiting to hear back.  Still hard to convince someone that 10 years of teaching and education can somehow relate to and have a benefit to their business.

Offline Hacker

• Googlemaster
  • Tush Hog
  • clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
    • The Facepage
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »