Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Feel The Rhythm: Texas A&M '17  (Read 4591 times)

Offline bakervscarrr

• puts honey on his pizza
  • Site Moderator
  • Boar
Re: Feel The Rhythm: Texas A&M '17
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
bvc, when is Arkansas fight going to have something up on New Mexico State?  AR opened up -15, I'll take NMSt with the points all week.  I think its a one possession game.  if we turn it over a lot we may lose.  NM St played Arizona St close, losing 37-31.  they'll pass for 500 yards on us.

I'm not sure, I don't do a very good job of staying up with what other stuff gets posted there, which is a shame because there is some good stuff. Adam Ford's box score breakdown using advanced statistics is excellent. He has a much better football mind than I do.

Online FNG

• Boar
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »
I'm not sure, I don't do a very good job of staying up with what other stuff gets posted there, which is a shame because there is some good stuff. Adam Ford's box score breakdown using advanced statistics is excellent. He has a much better football mind than I do.

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2017/9/26/16365246/a-closer-look-at-arkansas-offensive-line

At your suggestion, I checked out Ford's most recent piece. Very interesting, particularly this last little bit:

"If Arkansas can’t fix the line by next year, perhaps Bielema needs to consider making changes to the offense. I think Dan Enos is a fantastic offensive coordinator who simply doesn’t have the pieces he needs to get to the level. Despite major line problems, Arkansas still scored 43 points averaged more than 6 yards per play against an SEC team. But that obviously won’t happen against better teams. With Cole Kelley taking over, I wonder if making Arkansas’ offense look a little more like Kansas State’s would help. Everyone keeps comparing Cole Kelley to Ryan Mallett, but I’m not so sure Collin Klein isn’t a better comparison. Klein, a converted 2-star receiver, threw for 4,500 yards and rushed for 2,400 at Kansas State and was a Heisman finalist. Kansas State’s offensive lines are never very talented (see: 2012 Cotton Bowl), but Bill Snyder’s offense works because it’s quarterback-centric instead of line-centric. There’s no shortage of former Snyder assistants on staff (Bielema himself and receivers coach Michael Smith) who could help make some changes.

Basically, Arkansas can’t keep running a line-dependent offense with this quality of line. The Hogs need to get better or change the scheme, especially with a new quarterback coming in. For this season, getting better is the only choice."

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »
Austin will not be benched. It doesn't matter how poorly he performs (and I'm not suggesting he has played poor).

The fact is his dad is on staff and I don't see BB having the BBs to bench him.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 06:55:03 PM »
https://www.arkansasfight.com/2017/9/26/16365246/a-closer-look-at-arkansas-offensive-line

At your suggestion, I checked out Ford's most recent piece. Very interesting, particularly this last little bit:

"If Arkansas can’t fix the line by next year, perhaps Bielema needs to consider making changes to the offense. I think Dan Enos is a fantastic offensive coordinator who simply doesn’t have the pieces he needs to get to the level. Despite major line problems, Arkansas still scored 43 points averaged more than 6 yards per play against an SEC team. But that obviously won’t happen against better teams. With Cole Kelley taking over, I wonder if making Arkansas’ offense look a little more like Kansas State’s would help. Everyone keeps comparing Cole Kelley to Ryan Mallett, but I’m not so sure Collin Klein isn’t a better comparison. Klein, a converted 2-star receiver, threw for 4,500 yards and rushed for 2,400 at Kansas State and was a Heisman finalist. Kansas State’s offensive lines are never very talented (see: 2012 Cotton Bowl), but Bill Snyder’s offense works because it’s quarterback-centric instead of line-centric. There’s no shortage of former Snyder assistants on staff (Bielema himself and receivers coach Michael Smith) who could help make some changes.

Basically, Arkansas can’t keep running a line-dependent offense with this quality of line. The Hogs need to get better or change the scheme, especially with a new quarterback coming in. For this season, getting better is the only choice."

I'm not sure what that's (OL centric) supposed to mean.

Since Enos our team has had pretty productive QB play. I think AA would play better if he had talent at tackle and guys that were ready to play at WR. Moving more offense onto the QBs shoulders ala making him a runner on design plays...yeah we did that with BA a lot more than we have done with AA. Kelly brings a whole new element to it that's akin to Klien or Tebow but he's not in their class as an athlete...he's just a big fucker that can move a little.

Our biggest problem is we are bringing a hammer to a gun fight. Our answer was to get a bigger hammer and not get more weapons...more diversified.

Online Show-Me Hog

• King of the Hogs
  • Yep
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:05 PM »
I'm not sure what that's (OL centric) supposed to mean.

It means if you have a crappy line, you use your RBs and QB instead.

(It didn't make sense to me either, all the parts of an offense work together.)

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • What Kate Does...to me.
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
Thanks for posting that, FNG, although after reading countless times that "the entire line got blown up," I was ready to punch something again. 

The TLDR version...

We have a center to which teams are willing to concede defeat.  We have one tackle (Jackson) who can't (or won't bother to) block anyone on his own, one who makes a better true guard (Gibson) but we can't put him there because the other tackle (Ramirez) can grade the road but gets beaten off the edge on most if not all pass plays.

The even shorter version, directly quoted from the article...

The current line is about as bad as imaginable.

Offline Hatchclan

• CMA, & CDVH = SUCCESS bert = MEH
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2017, 04:40:39 AM »
Our biggest problem is we are bringing a hammer to a gun fight. Our answer was to get a bigger hammer and not get more weapons...more diversified.
THIS
Beer has food value, but food has no beer value.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• King of the Hogs
  • I am surrounded by my privilege
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2017, 04:28:17 PM »

But I thought cole kelly was slower than the Broyles statue
No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Online Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »
But I thought cole kelly was slower than the Broyles statue
He's got a lot better arm than Klein.
Here's to growing up in an Empire during the decadent years!

Official motto of Woopig P&R board "Wear a cup tl;dr"

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 34 queries.