Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: AC Repair  (Read 4126 times)

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
Re: AC Repair
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 07:35:32 PM »
Jesus.  What did you buy?  I picture a mansion made out of double wides. Sure you're not counting window units?

It looks just like the William J Clinton Library...

3 AC units (outside ones) and a shitload of thermostats/zones it seems.  I looked at the inspection report and it does list that some/a few of the zone dampers or whatever aren't working.  That for sure needs to get fixed and I'm thinking the big unit that serves most of the downstairs should get replaced (20+ years old).  It is like 13 Seer which apparently is not very good.

Houses are confusing.  I had hot water issues and couldn't figure out WTF was going on as part of the house had wonderful, instant hot water (had one of those recirc things) and other parts were barely warm.  Thought I only had two water heaters, found out there was a third one hiding that had a temperature limiter that was somehow tied into a switch in the master bath for 'safety'.  Took like a week of troubleshooting to figure that shit out.  Guess they had kids or old people are something and didn't want actual hot water.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline bleedinred

• Tush Hog
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »
It’s easy to replace dampers. YouTube it. Honeywell makes the dampers.

We have two hot water tanks and one went out a few years ago. Didn’t realize it until the second one went out.

Owning big homes can be a pita.  We still own our first home; 3 bed/2 bath, 2100 sq ft. House is awesome. So little to go wrong. The AC unit in it is 20 years old and still performs great.

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 08:13:56 PM »
Will have to look.  The issue is that I have no idea where all of them are or which ones are working.  I might as well just let the AC guy do it unless it is super obvious.  I don't even know where to control them. Still trying to figure things out.  There is one secret room and I'm convinced there are more.

Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline porksamich

• Semi-Professional Thread Derailer
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »
I just had my entire unit replaced for $4500. That’s the inside unit with gas furnace, 4 ton outside unit, and new thermostat. Y’all getting raped.

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
my old house had a dual zone system - upstairs and downstairs running off one unit.  the dampers in the zone system are designed to operate off of each thermostat.  the thermostats kick on and call the system to divert air/heat to that area, thus flipping the dampers.  I had issues over the years where the dampers were not working correctly, had many a service calls where the zones had to be fixed.  i don't reccommend a zone system.  if you've got it, you've got it. 

hrw, i can't imagine a house with that many zones.  even with 3 units you may not have large enough units to push the amount of air you need, therefore your systems are running 24/7, resulting in an $800 electric bill.  the only way you can fix the # of zones would be to have all of the duct work redone and the zone dampers removed.  I'd think the optimal thing for you would be to scrap the zone/damper system and have 3 units each running a separate area of your house.

I've got a little change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
I’ll call someone and have them have a look and see what’s the best thing to do within a budget of course

Online 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 10:28:11 AM »
I just had my entire unit replaced for $4500. That’s the inside unit with gas furnace, 4 ton outside unit, and new thermostat. Y’all getting raped.

If you have a single story home with good attic access and no need for a new line set or new duct work and find a small shop with low overhead, I could see that price.

Dealer cost for our 4 ton 16 seer Trane split system and accouterments such as plenum box, dampers, new pad etc was $3000. Any shop is going to mark that up about 25-40% so that's +/- $3800.

Then it is just a matter of labor - probably a 10-16 hours between 2 guys so, assuming a low $40/hr rate, that's $500.   

Sales tax is going to add at least another $275-300 even the installer is paying it on their cost.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline porksamich

• Semi-Professional Thread Derailer
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 12:20:14 PM »
If you have a single story home with good attic access and no need for a new line set or new duct work and find a small shop with low overhead, I could see that price.

Dealer cost for our 4 ton 16 seer Trane split system and accouterments such as plenum box, dampers, new pad etc was $3000. Any shop is going to mark that up about 25-40% so that's +/- $3800.

Then it is just a matter of labor - probably a 10-16 hours between 2 guys so, assuming a low $40/hr rate, that's $500.   

Sales tax is going to add at least another $275-300 even the installer is paying it on their cost.

You nailed it. Single story, existing line sets, no new duct work. Inside unit easily located in hallway. 9 hr job.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2020, 06:43:52 AM »
I’ll call someone and have them have a look and see what’s the best thing to do within a budget of course

In Texas you have to look at more than just an modern efficient AC system.  You should look at your insulation, radiant barriers, garage door insulation, roof venting and ridge vents, clear soffit vents, ductwork leaks, windows.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »
In Texas you have to look at more than just an modern efficient AC system.  You should look at your insulation, radiant barriers, garage door insulation, roof venting and ridge vents, clear soffit vents, ductwork leaks, windows.

Fortunately, the person that has this place built seems to have cared about those things.  Unfortunately, I don’t know shit about AC and the attics are a maze so I’ll just have someone come and give it a full inspection and bite the bullet

Offline bleedinred

• Tush Hog
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »
Just curious, but what did the home inspector say when you went through the buying process?

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2020, 10:08:38 AM »
Just curious, but what did the home inspector say when you went through the buying process?

Said the units were in good repair but that the main unit is old and likely to need replacing soon.  He said he couldn’t tell if all the zone things were working, but suspected some were not.  The vents and insulation and everything were good. 

We did switch electric companies already and it seems to have made a difference...3-4 cents x 5-7000kW adds up. 

That makes things a little less urgent

Online DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • Boar
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
I just recently moved into a house that I’m having a little ac problem with. I have two floors and a separate system for each. Most of the house stays very comfortable, but two rooms upstairs stay very warm and one room downstairs stays warm. I had a guy come look at it and he said the duct work was not screwed together and whatever adhesive wrap they used to wrap the joints has broken down and they are leaking. Everything with the equipment seems to be functioning properly. He is wanting to take all of the wrapped insulation off the ductwork, screw all the joints, tape the joints, re wrap the ducts, and add a return air exchange to aid with air flow.  The ducts upstairs are in the attic, downstairs ducts are in the crawl space that ranges from 60 inches to 30 inches. All this for the tidy sum of $15,000. Was wondering if this seems reasonable.

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »
I just recently moved into a house that I’m having a little ac problem with. I have two floors and a separate system for each. Most of the house stays very comfortable, but two rooms upstairs stay very warm and one room downstairs stays warm. I had a guy come look at it and he said the duct work was not screwed together and whatever adhesive wrap they used to wrap the joints has broken down and they are leaking. Everything with the equipment seems to be functioning properly. He is wanting to take all of the wrapped insulation off the ductwork, screw all the joints, tape the joints, re wrap the ducts, and add a return air exchange to aid with air flow.  The ducts upstairs are in the attic, downstairs ducts are in the crawl space that ranges from 60 inches to 30 inches. All this for the tidy sum of $15,000. Was wondering if this seems reasonable.

fuck no.  if he did all that and replaced both your units, maybe.

I've got a little change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling

Offline CrocodileHunter

• Chairman Emeritus of the 102 Crew
  • Tush Hog
  • ^^^ El Capitan
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 09:12:15 PM »
fuck no.  if he did all that and replaced both your units, maybe.
That’s what I was thinking. $15,000 for ductwork?  Are we talking about a 20,000 sq ft house?

Online DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • Boar
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 10:36:36 PM »
It’s nowhere near 20000 sqft. He’s not talking about replacing the duct work. Just installing screws in joints and sealing the joints in the existing duct work.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 10:42:41 PM »
It’s nowhere near 20000 sqft. He’s not talking about replacing the duct work. Just installing screws in joints and sealing the joints in the existing duct work.

Maybe he meant $1,500?  That actually sounds more realistic.

Offline razorwire

• Boar
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 09:58:24 AM »
Did that price include new duct work?

Offline pigsteye

• A Shoat
  • Nominum Quid Geminus?
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2020, 07:22:22 PM »
You nailed it. Single story, existing line sets, no new duct work. Inside unit easily located in hallway. 9 hr job.
you in NWA?

suffers from aggressive behavior that stems from increased detachment from reality and inability to cope with the forces in the world perceived as threatening