Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: AC Repair  (Read 11913 times)

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
Re: AC Repair
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »
Merv 4 is what to look for. Anything with a higher Merv number is going to be really restrictive and really needs to be designed/sized for the system (and they usually aren't)
:thumbup:

The very pants I was returning!

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2021, 11:42:25 AM »
Merv 4 is what to look for. Anything with a higher Merv number is going to be really restrictive and really needs to be designed/sized for the system (and they usually aren't)

Merv 4!? That shit won't even filter out the skeeters!

Is there a manufacturer recommendation for the filters? I looked at the product page on Trane's website but nada.

I usually buy a case of 12 off the ebays for around $60 and change them about once a month or so - I think merv 11 is what I have now.

https://www.coolray.com/what-does-merv-rating-mean.php

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:44:29 AM by 1st_down_streak »
No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
Merv 4!? That shit won't even filter out the skeeters!

Is there a manufacturer recommendation for the filters? I looked at the product page on Trane's website but nada.

I usually buy a case of 12 off the ebays for around $60 and change them about once a month or so - I think merv 11 is what I have now.

https://www.coolray.com/what-does-merv-rating-mean.php
I provided a rec last page that’s worked well for me so far. Nordic Pure Merv12. I have also used the 7 as well.

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
I provided a rec last page that’s worked well for me so far. Nordic Pure Merv12. I have also used the 7 as well.

Pretty sure most all filters are made in the USofA and basically the same so you are probably paying twice what you could be for that cool name

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=merv+12+filters+case+20x25

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2022, 09:57:26 AM »
Anybody got an AC guy that’s quality? I usually call up Jacksonville Heating and Air and they’ve always been superb but they’re really swamped the guy said and my rental unit ain’t cooling down supposedly per my renter.

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline hit_that_line

• Woopig Joe Biden
  • King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2022, 12:21:59 PM »
Always had good luck with Bob and Ed’s.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2022, 12:25:09 PM »
Always had good luck with Bob and Ed’s.
just reached out and left them a message.

Offline Filthy_McSwine

• Tush Hog
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2022, 04:23:29 PM »
Anybody got an AC guy that’s quality? I usually call up Jacksonville Heating and Air and they’ve always been superb but they’re really swamped the guy said and my rental unit ain’t cooling down supposedly per my renter.

I usually PM Animal but I can totally believe they're backed-up...it's ungodly hot down here right about now.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2022, 04:52:57 PM »
I usually PM Animal but I can totally believe they're backed-up...it's ungodly hot down here right about now.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2022, 05:11:29 PM »
already did and called his place and Bob and Ed’s can’t till Tuesday. Found another place coming tomorrow

Offline Filthy_McSwine

• Tush Hog
Re: AC Repair.
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2022, 07:45:09 AM »
already did and called his place and Bob and Ed’s can’t till Tuesday. Found another place coming tomorrow

What’s the verdict???

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
Re: AC Repair.
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2022, 09:09:42 AM »
What’s the verdict???
the refrigerant was almost empty. They think there may be a leak and will be back out next week to check

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2022, 10:34:28 AM »
Since I couldn’t get Jacksonville out I was able to call RKL Hesting and Cooling and the owner came out Saturday. They were fantastic and this morning they went over everything with me on the phone. My unit is 38 years old and still running which is impressive and I had never in 14 plus years added coolant. That was pricey but I can write it off. They said most likely I have a leak inside and a coil might need to be replaced. They said just monitor it for now and that coolant could last another two years. I told the owner I was gonna sell the place in July and they said an inspector would note the unit is old but in this market it may not be an issue or I could price to have replaced. A new unit is 6-7k but the owner said I would recoup the costs when selling but I dunno. I just wanna sell the shit and be done and considering this market and limited inventory I wonder if I shoukd or just sell as is. They were fantastic people and appreciated they walked me through everything

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2022, 04:24:44 PM »
Upstairs air conditioner died this week.  Working through that and discovered the hot water heater is about to give out.  Frick it all…

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2022, 09:25:38 PM »
I have an AC that is on the Outs right now too.  The compressor outside seems ok but the fan unit on my furnace thing isn’t turning on and blowing any air.  The other two are working so it hasn’t been bad but need to get it fixed when I get home.  Hopefully just a capacitor or something like that. 

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2022, 01:03:02 PM »
Air guy said my upstairs unit is shot.  To even limp along for the rest of the summer it needs like 4 or 5 pounds of Freon, which this summer costs $750.

That caused me to go down an internet worm hole on the price of Freon.  Basically, it’s expensive for the same reason we can’t buy working gas cans anymore.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2022, 09:02:46 PM »
So if I have a heat pump(4 ton) purchased within the last 5 years, what should I be expecting to pay for coolant?  I assume this thing isn't supposed to be using freon(R22 variety).

Another common coolant I saw was R-410a which seems to be a fraction of the cost of R-22. 

The very pants I was returning!

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2022, 09:09:21 PM »
So if I have a heat pump(4 ton) purchased within the last 5 years, what should I be expecting to pay for coolant?  I assume this thing isn't supposed to be using freon(R22 variety).

Another common coolant I saw was R-410a which seems to be a fraction of the cost of R-22.

I think it’s going for about $100/pound, depending on how bad they want to rape you.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline hogslobber

• Tush Hog
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2022, 05:51:38 PM »
Need a new unit at my house.   Like Trane.

Any recommendations in NWA.

What about Paschal ?  Good or bad ?

Offline BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2022, 06:14:31 PM »
paschal is expensive, but not as much as bud anderson.  a few years ago in my old house i got my system replaced, used air control.  cheapest.  they installed a lennox.  idk if they have other equipment options.  they did install some parts of it incorrectly b/c it was a dual zone system for a 2 story house.  they had to come back out and fix the dual zone issue.

fuck your feelings

• Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2022, 08:33:38 PM »
Need a new unit at my house.   Like Trane.

Any recommendations in NWA.

What about Paschal ?  Good or bad ?

I put two new carrier units in my house.  The downstairs one is an Infinity system, 5 ton, variable speed compressor and variable speed fan, 20 seer.  Super high efficiency,

The ONLY complaint I’ve had is the thermostat went out and the new one was $704.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2022, 08:51:07 PM »
I got a quote for a new unit in LR and they quoted me $6k and said that was a deal. I said I’ll probably just sell the place and let someone else replace it. I don’t have the time or care to replace and I don’t care if it takes some off my price

Offline hogslobber

• Tush Hog
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2022, 08:31:59 AM »
I have a bid from George's is Rogers for a 2 ton, 16 seer Trane unit installed for $9,000.

Is this high ?

• Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2022, 10:18:32 AM »
I have a bid from George's is Rogers for a 2 ton, 16 seer Trane unit installed for $9,000.

Is this high ?

Is it a package unit or split system, and does that include new ductwork or just hooking to existing stuff?

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline hogslobber

• Tush Hog
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2022, 04:41:44 PM »
Replacing one of the 3 units in my house
Originally placed in 1998 when we built the house