Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The NBA  (Read 741211 times)

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
Re: The NBA
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2011, 11:39:09 PM »
Neither team will play like they did last night, obviously.  I doubt Miami hits that many three's again (at least as efficiently as they did). I doubt Barea gives a big steaming pile of fucking NOTHING.  I doubt Peja misses multiple wide open 3's.  I doubt Terry shits the bed for the entire 2nd half. I doubt Chandler only gets 4 or 5 rebounds. 

But I also doubt that Lebron will coast as much as he did in this game.  He definitely let the game come to him...didn't force the issue.  His jumpshot (always the weak point in his game) is automatic right now.  If he keeps hitting fade-away 3's there's no chance the Mavs can win.  But if he keeps playing the same game he did yesterday, getting his teammates involved as opposed to being selfish, I think it helps dallas.  Because Lebron taking shots is a helluva lot more scary than Miller, Chalmers, Haslem, etc. 

I doubt Bosh shoots as poorly as he did. I think what Wade did was probably about right for him at this point. 

The officiating was better than I thought it would be.  Dallas actually shot more FT's - of course, I don't know if Miami had more than a handful of shots in the paint.  Dallas was the more attacking team all night.  That was really my only problem.  Dallas attacked much more than Miami but still only shot 6 more ft's. 

Of course, there were some absolutely ridiculous calls that favored Miami. Unfortunately they all occurred in a crucial point in the 4th quarter.  I couldn't believe they didn't call a travel on Lebron after he stood up after laying on the ground.  Is that not traveling anymore?  But I digress...the calls will always favor the home team, so Dallas just has to play through them and get it back to Dallas.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this next game is going to be much closer to the 90's-100's in scoring.  For as "great" as Miami's defense is, Dallas missed a TON of uncontested jumpers.  And those misses were by guys with reputations for being great shooters (Peja, Terry).  Barea played his worst game in the playoffs.  Blow hards are probably saying it was due to Miami's defense.  Since when does allowing a guy to miss a wide open runner/jumper constitute great defense?

It's going to be tough for Dallas to win game 2.  I thought they had a chance at game 1.  That was their best shot.  But it's certainly not impossible.  They just have to play better offensively when given open shots.  Defense just needs to be as good as it was in game 1.  Carlisle needs to stick to his own rotations and not try to be cute to match up with miami.  It's still possible.  But they've GOT to win 1, probably 2 in miami.  If they don't do it tomorrow, series is over barring a collapse by miami in dallas.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #301 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:44 AM »
Look, that's a few long posts that I didn't feel like reading.

Upon second watch of the game... the officiating sucked... both ways.
There were two clear things that stuck out.
The officials clearly set a tone and pace early that, believe it or not, favored the Heat. That happens on home courts in the playoffs.
LeBron should've easily had ten fouls in that game. That push off on Barea was just too much contact to ignore. Still can't see how he didn't get another foul there. The rest could've all gone either way, but with how inconsistent the officiating was all night... he has to get called on one or two of those, right?  Yeah, whatever.

If Dallas hits half of the open shots they missed... I mean WIDE OPEN... (like they have through the entire playoffs) they win that game.

Still, the Dirk finger scares me. Otherwise, this series isn't over. That looked obvious to me. Mavs played like dog shit and still had a chance to win, really.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Jostlyn McCocksack

• Wise guy extraordinare. Faded weekly
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #302 on: June 02, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »
No one canbeat Miami when they defend like they did in the second half.  I love Carlisle but i just don't know what else the macs can do on offense. Zones can't win championships but I think it can bother the heat if they don't attack it like they did in the second half

"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #303 on: June 02, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
Back

and to the left

there was a second spitter

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Trigger7672

• Boar
« Reply #304 on: June 02, 2011, 01:20:40 PM »
No one canbeat Miami when they defend like they did in the second half.  I love Carlisle but i just don't know what else the macs can do on offense. Zones can't win championships but I think it can bother the heat if they don't attack it like they did in the second half

The Mavs are going to have some of the same problems the Bulls did matchup wise with Miami. You need to play guys like Terry, Barea, and Peja for their offense, but none of those guys can guard any of Miami's big three so you have to figure out how to hide them on defense. We've seen Miami take over in the 4th quarter time and time again in the playoffs, game one was no exception. I hate to say it, but I think Miami wins the title in 5 games.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #305 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »
The Mavs are going to have some of the same problems the Bulls did matchup wise with Miami. You need to play guys like Terry, Barea, and Peja for their offense, but none of those guys can guard any of Miami's big three so you have to figure out how to hide them on defense. We've seen Miami take over in the 4th quarter time and time again in the playoffs, game one was no exception. I hate to say it, but I think Miami wins the title in 5 games.

That's very well possible. But I don't think people realize JUST how poorly Dallas' bench played.  The bench is a huge aspect of Dallas' success, and they shot something like 15%.  And we're not talking about a ton of missed shots due to Miami's defense.  We're talking about Terry and Peja missing wide open jumpers.  We're talking about Barea missing layups and runners after breaking down the defense.  Those are things that haven't happened (to all 3 players) in one game all these playoffs.  So while Miami might have looked invincible n game 1, if Dallas was playing anywhere close to their normal game (once again, making wide open shots), they would have had a pretty decent lead heading into the 4th quarter.

But when Dirk's shootings is KINDA off (comparatively), Dallas HAS to get big help from the bench.  They can't overcome both of those factors.  And I just don't see dallas' bench shooting 15% again in any game this series.  Hell, if they had just shot 30% Dallas probably would have been right there.

Fearless prediction for game 2? I am worried about Dirk's hand.  I know it's his off hand, but he drives left a ton and finishes with his left.  I'm thinking Dirk's going to fall back into primarily a jump shooter for game 2 because of that.  Hopefully he's feeling it. 

I think Chandler will get a double-double, with the Mavs keeping rebounds closer to even.

I think Dallas keeps turnovers below 12.

Bench will outscore Miami's by double digits.

Dallas inexplicably steals game 2, 101-95.  Please. Please sweet, 8 lb baby jesus. Please.

Offline Jostlyn McCocksack

• Wise guy extraordinare. Faded weekly
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #306 on: June 02, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »
The first half must have been completely different from the second half because I saw very few quality maverick shots.

Two things I know for sure.  Dwade is severely overrated offensively. He needs a ton of shots and official's help to be any kind of a scorer. Rick Riley doesn't know shit about basketball or logic

"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Offline Trigger7672

• Boar
« Reply #307 on: June 02, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
That's very well possible. But I don't think people realize JUST how poorly Dallas' bench played.  The bench is a huge aspect of Dallas' success, and they shot something like 15%.  And we're not talking about a ton of missed shots due to Miami's defense.  We're talking about Terry and Peja missing wide open jumpers.  We're talking about Barea missing layups and runners after breaking down the defense.  Those are things that haven't happened (to all 3 players) in one game all these playoffs.  So while Miami might have looked invincible n game 1, if Dallas was playing anywhere close to their normal game (once again, making wide open shots), they would have had a pretty decent lead heading into the 4th quarter.

I agree somewhat with this, the Mavs bench went 4 for 22 from the field which is just awful. And my thought immediately after the game was "well the Mavs bench won't shot like that again." But then you look at just how badly Miami played (38% from the field, two starters who failed to score, DWade going 1-7 or whatever it was in the first half) and you have to wonder if the Mavs let a golden opportunity slip away to steal game 1 in Miami. It almost feels like the Mavs need to have an 8-12 point lead going into the 4th quarter if they want to have a chance to win because Dirk cannot outplay the LBJ/DWADE combo for the last 10 minutes of a game.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2011, 06:04:34 PM »
The first half must have been completely different from the second half because I saw very few quality maverick shots.

Two things I know for sure.  Dwade is severely overrated offensively. He needs a ton of shots and official's help to be any kind of a scorer. Rick Riley doesn't know shit about basketball or logic

It most definitely was.

Teams fuck up defending Dallas because they try to switch guys on and off Dirk with one and two guys helping up the middle. This leaves secondary players wide the fuck open and guys like Jet, Peja, even Barea, Kidd and Marion have been draining more than half of these. They missed a ton in the first half.

Dallas could've easily had a game 4 vs Lakers-ish halftime lead.
But they didn't.

Miami kept switching off and swarming Dirk. He didn't have the secondary help to pull them off. They were STILL in the game late.

You have to just play Dirk straight up and hope he has a bad night. Dallas is too dangerous on the outside to take chances on stopping Dirk. As soon as that defense collapses, Dallas is fantastic at getting the ball out and moving to the open man. This series will last a lot longer than people think if Miami keeps up what they did in game 1. It can and will backfire. Hopefully tonight.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Mike Slive

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
I didn't read all the fine print in this thread and I didn't see the whole game either. What I did see was Dirk missing shots he made last series and Barera getting his shit tossed into the stands. Yes, I saw Lebron's fade away 3rd qtr shot.

I'm fucked on this series. I wanted the Heat to break it off in Kobe and now the fucking Mavs go on an unbelievable run and now I have to go that way. I am just afraid that great ride is over at the wrong fucking time.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »
I agree somewhat with this, the Mavs bench went 4 for 22 from the field which is just awful. And my thought immediately after the game was "well the Mavs bench won't shot like that again." But then you look at just how badly Miami played (38% from the field, two starters who failed to score, DWade going 1-7 or whatever it was in the first half) and you have to wonder if the Mavs let a golden opportunity slip away to steal game 1 in Miami. It almost feels like the Mavs need to have an 8-12 point lead going into the 4th quarter if they want to have a chance to win because Dirk cannot outplay the LBJ/DWADE combo for the last 10 minutes of a game.

I'm not so much looking at one half, but the whole game. Wade started slowly but ended up with a good game.  I expect, on the whole, he'll have another good game tonight.  Lebron played outstanding. That'll probably happen again too.  Bosh will probably play better, too.  But that's all pretty expected.

Just like Dallas' bench being a much more effective unit is expected.

Dallas absolutely let a golden opportunity slip away in game 1.  I question Carlisle's decision to replace Stevenson with Barea immediately after Dallas built up a 7 or 8 point lead and came storming out of the gates in the 3rd.  Dallas got stomped pretty much from that point on.  There were long stretches where Barea, Kidd, and Terry were all on the court at the same time...ugh. Hate that. Horrible rebounding/defensive unit.  I've hated that combo all year long.  Stevenson needs to eat into some of Terry/Barea's minutes this series, I think.  He's better rebounding/defensively, obviously.  And he seems to at least have some toughness to where he isn't afraid to take an open shot (which he was hitting). 

It's going to be fun to watch. Just hope dallas wins or these people in adjoining hotel rooms will not be pleased with my profanity.

Offline HD

• Wild Hog
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2011, 07:27:53 PM »
a lot of heat hatin' going on in this thread

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
Dallas absolutely let a golden opportunity slip away in game 1.  I question Carlisle's decision to replace Stevenson with Barea immediately after Dallas built up a 7 or 8 point lead and came storming out of the gates in the 3rd.  Dallas got stomped pretty much from that point on.  There were long stretches where Barea, Kidd, and Terry were all on the court at the same time...ugh. Hate that. Horrible rebounding/defensive unit.  I've hated that combo all year long. 

Nailed it.

That unit right there killed all of the Mavs momentum every time they were out there. It's not a good fit for this series and I expect to see very little of it tonight and on out.

I'm ready to get this series back to Dallas quick. This heat crowd is beyond fucking ridiculous.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
Dallas is doing it all over again. They're thoroughly outplaying the heat right now. Getting to the basket, creating open looks, rebounding, creating turnovers...and we keep missing wide open shots.  :suicide:

Online Buffinator

• The Other Other White Meat
  • King of the Hogs
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #314 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »
Wade is doing it on his own right now.  Dude making it happen.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #315 on: June 02, 2011, 09:00:03 PM »
That last Stevenson three proves exactly what I'm talking about. If you cheat and try to close in on Dirk late, he's going to get out to your guy. They will hit the three half the time.

Online Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #316 on: June 02, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »
Ouch.  Wade let himself get run head first into the padding under the hoop.  No contact shown but timeout had to be called because Wade wouldn't stop arguing with the ref and play ball.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2011, 09:04:41 PM »
My GAWD you've GOT to think that Miami is going to stop hitting these RIDICULOUS shots.  I realize that great players will hit great shots. But Lebron hitting fade-away 25 footers...FREQUENTLY? Goodness...

But what you're seeing from Dallas right now is what Miami should be doing with their lineup.  Penetration, penetration...kick. Miami will be ungodly good when they develop more offensive chemistry in a year or two.  Cause right now they play pretty boring basketball offensively. They make incredible individual plays, but they have no flow offensively.  When they get some semblance of an offense to complement that? Jeeeeez.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
Ouch.  Wade let himself get run head first into the padding under the hoop.  No contact shown but timeout had to be called because Wade wouldn't stop arguing with the ref and play ball.

No goddamn reason that shouldn't have been a technical. Showing up the refs like that was supposed to have been an immediate tech this season.

Online Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #319 on: June 02, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
No gawd damn reason that shouldn't have been a technical. Showing up the refs like that was supposed to have been an immediate tech this season.

Dang agreeance.  It looked clean in real time but that slow motion they replayed showed that there was no contact at all.  Just when I try to remember why I don't like Wade in the first place, he goes and completely reminds me like that.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #320 on: June 02, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »
The end to that half was pretty inexcusable and eerily reminiscent of the close to the 1st half in game 1 versus the lakers.  Build up a big lead, then commit bonehead foul after bonehead foul after bonehead turnover after missed layup after missed open jumper after bonehead foul. Rinse, repeat.  Jason Terry is put money on Miami. 

Offline Hardpork

• Tush Hog
« Reply #321 on: June 02, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
Wade is starting to get a lot of calls from the ref.  The offensive goal tending.  How does a referee on any level miss that?

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #322 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
Dallas is falling apart...again. Turnover, after turnover, after turnover.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #323 on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
This Heat dick sucking is getting to me. Apparently a 5-point lead is a 20-point lead when the Heat have it.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #324 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
So Dwayne Wade AND Spoelestra can spend five minutes bitching at Joe Mauer...No T.  Carlisle gets one in 1 second.

Yeah - mavs are toast.