Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Algebra gurus  (Read 8527 times)

Offline LRHogfan

• Tush Hog
Algebra gurus
« on: March 17, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »
I'm in the position of having to tutor my 13 year old in Algebra.  :-\   I used to be pretty good at this crap, but it's been a llllllooong time.

I understand generally how to solve quadratic equations, but there are some word problems I CAN'T do, like this:

A small rocket is fired from the ground. H(t) = 1/2(-9.8)t^2 + 49t + 2.5 describes the rocket's projectile motion. Approximately how many seconds does it take for the rocket to return to the ground?

I started with this: 0(t) = -4.9t^2 + 49t + 2.5 
I think this needs to be factored in order to come up with two values for t, one of which will be tossed out because it will be negative, but I'm lost.  WTF?

Can anyone show me how to finish this so I can TRY to explain it to my 8th grader?  Please?  ;D

Offline Ahole

• Tush Hog
  • DERP!!
Re: Algebra gurus
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:01 PM »
I googled your equation (H(t) = 1/2(-9.8)t^2 + 49t + 2.5) and it gave me the answer in this .pdf. Here's the link:

http://www.lessonlink.com/documents/da2/ParentGuide/DA_PG_09.pdf

Offline Hobo

• Boar
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline jhawg05

• The Original Porksta
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
use the quadratic formula to solve for 't'.

x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt {b^2-4ac}}{2a}, I have no idea what that says; so, i would just google quadratic formula.  You should get 2 quantities.  The starting point and when it hits the ground.  

a=t^2
b=t
c=scaler

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:31:14 PM by jhawg05 »

Offline LRHogfan

• Tush Hog
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »
I googled your equation (H(t) = 1/2(-9.8)t^2 + 49t + 2.5) and it gave me the answer in this .pdf. Here's the link:

http://www.lessonlink.com/documents/da2/ParentGuide/DA_PG_09.pdf

Good grief. I didn't think there would be any way that particular equation would be found. I was googling quadratic equations in general to try to work it out.  :-\

On the sample solution, it says "The zeros are at approximately 0.05 and 10.05" but I don't know how to get there. So there's still a disconnect, at least in my dumbass brain.

I got this...
http://www.addictinggames.com/papercannon.html
You suck.  ;)

x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt {b^2-4ac}}{2a}, I have no idea what that says; so, i would just google quadratic formula.  You should get 2 quantities.  The starting point and when it hits the ground. 

a=t^2
b=t
c=scaler
Let me see if I can make sense of that. Like I said, I've googled and found plenty of general help on equations. It's just these particular word problems I can't figure out.

Offline LRHogfan

• Tush Hog
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:57:31 PM »

x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt {b^2-4ac}}{2a}, I have no idea what that says; so, i would just google quadratic formula.  You should get 2 quantities.  The starting point and when it hits the ground.  

a=t^2
b=t
c=scaler
Got it. It really was a simply as plugging a, b & c into the formula.  Duh.  ::)

Thanks!

Online 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
I'm in the position of having to tutor my 13 year old in Algebra.  :-\   I used to be pretty good at this crap, but it's been a llllllooong time.

I understand generally how to solve quadratic equations, but there are some word problems I CAN'T do, like this:

A small rocket is fired from the ground. H(t) = 1/2(-9.8)t^2 + 49t + 2.5 describes the rocket's projectile motion. Approximately how many seconds does it take for the rocket to return to the ground?

I started with this: 0(t) = -4.9t^2 + 49t + 2.5 
I think this needs to be factored in order to come up with two values for t, one of which will be tossed out because it will be negative, but I'm lost.  WTF?

Can anyone show me how to finish this so I can TRY to explain it to my 8th grader?  Please?  ;D

I took Algebra 1 threve times at the UA and I still have nofaking clue what to do with that mess. How I made it through survey of cal is truly one of life's great mysteries.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline Hobo

• Boar
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »

Offline Ahole

• Tush Hog
  • DERP!!

Offline jhawg05

• The Original Porksta
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »
Got it. It really was a simply as plugging a, b & c into the formula.  Duh.  ::)

Thanks!

There isn't 2 answers as I mentioned.  Obviously a negative number does not fit in the equation for time.  So, their is only one real answer.  Can't have negative time.  Clear as mud?

Offline LRHogfan

• Tush Hog
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 04:36:17 PM »
Can't have negative time. 

I consider the time I've spent on this to be VERY negative time.  :D

Offline chop sooie

• King of the Hogs
  • Records were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »
I got all the way through AP Calculus in high school. Then I aced college algebra and trig my first year in college. Never had a problem with math at all.

Then I tried to go back 13 years later and take pre-engineering courses, the first math course of which is Calculus 1. I failed miserably.  It ain't like riding a bike.

"The only person that said anything you should be offended by is chop sooie and I think most have learned to ignore him by now."

-LashHog, 06/09/2008

Offline shotmaster03

• Absolutely no insider info...
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:45:04 PM »
I got all the way through AP Calculus in high school. Then I aced college algebra and trig my first year in college. Never had a problem with math at all.

Then I tried to go back 13 years later and take pre-engineering courses, the first math course of which is Calculus 1. I failed miserably.  It ain't like riding a bike.

How in the world did you take AP Cal in HS but have to take college algebra and trig in college??? Trig is about 2 years before Cal at the HS level

Offline chop sooie

• King of the Hogs
  • Records were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »
How in the world did you take AP Cal in HS but have to take college algebra and trig in college??? Trig is about 2 years before Cal at the HS level

Required college credits for an architecture major. The UA could care less what I took in HS unless I passed the AP exam in Cal, which I didn't take.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:59:36 AM by chop sooie »
"The only person that said anything you should be offended by is chop sooie and I think most have learned to ignore him by now."

-LashHog, 06/09/2008

Offline Nick Ahpleeze

• Tush Hog
  • Uniform Traditionalist
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »
I made a B on my college algebra final. Happiest day of my 7 yr on/off college career.

Hey Jeff, Red & White (no black) Jersey , 2 Red stripes on pants leg. GOT IT ?

Offline lawtiger

• Loyal Citizen of Zamunda
  • King of the Hogs
  • Sexual Chocolate
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »
I made a B on my college algebra final. Happiest day of my 7 yr on/off college career.

Tommy: Lots of people go to school for seven years.

Richard: Yeah, they're called "doctors."

I'm gonna be bigger than Jesus
Bigger than wrestling
Bigger than the Beatles
And bigger than breast implants

Offline jesus

• wackmessiah
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 12:52:02 AM »

Might as well join the fucking Peace Corps.

Stir Good.  Puppy On Bottom!

www.detentionreport.com

Offline Cerdo

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
I took Algebra 1 threve times at the UA and I still have nofaking clue what to do with that mess. How I made it through survey of cal is truly one of life's great mysteries.

I was one of the dumbasses that had to go in late at night to that Bell Lab to have Asian guys tutor me almost every night to pass Algebra at the U of A.   I bet those guys got laid all the time by some desperate chick. 

Hello Darkness My Old Friend