Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: AC Unit  (Read 7210 times)

Offline AGNK

• WPS
  • Tush Hog
AC Unit
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:36:09 AM »
Yesterday, we had a power outage at the house due to storms. When the power came back on, our central air wasn't working. The fan blows, but it's just cool air, not "air conditioning" air (if that makes sense). There were batteries in the thermostat, so I replaced them thinking they may do something. I went outside to the unit and it was running. I found a red button on the side of the unit, near the wiring. Thinking it may be a reset button, I pressed it. I turned off the unit and let it sit for a while (maybe 10-15 min), however the fan continued to run. I'm clueless on HVAC stuff, but I am aware that it is fucking hot. Any suggestions?

Offline capnthog

• Poorly qualified to represent the LBC.
  • Tush Hog
Re: AC Unit
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:51:18 AM »
More than likely its the capacitor, I had this earlier in the summer.  Best way I can describe it is a fuse for the compressor.   You'll have to call a service dude, but the part is only about 20 bucks.

Eat me.

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:08:28 AM »
Yesterday, we had a power outage at the house due to storms. When the power came back on, our central air wasn't working. The fan blows, but it's just cool air, not "air conditioning" air (if that makes sense). There were batteries in the thermostat, so I replaced them thinking they may do something. I went outside to the unit and it was running. I found a red button on the side of the unit, near the wiring. Thinking it may be a reset button, I pressed it. I turned off the unit and let it sit for a while (maybe 10-15 min), however the fan continued to run. I'm clueless on HVAC stuff, but I am aware that it is fricking hot. Any suggestions?

The fan outside continued to run after you turned it off at the thermostat? = Hung contactor

It might also have blown a capacitor...it will cost you more than $20 bucks though.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »
Just had ours go out over the same thing. 

Upstairs had to have a capacitor replaced, first year in the house so a home warranty covered it.  Think it would have been about $150 for the service call and replacement.

Downstairs they decided was fried due to a lightening strike.  2 other opinions agreed and we had to replace the whole thing.  Home warranty does not cover, but our home owners policy did for a $500 deducatble.

"If life gives you lemons, fuck life."  - Sir John Michael of Oklahoma

Offline AGNK

• WPS
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »
More than likely its the capacitor, I had this earlier in the summer.  Best way I can describe it is a fuse for the compressor.   You'll have to call a service dude, but the part is only about 20 bucks.
It might also have blown a capacitor...it will cost you more than $20 bucks though.
Upstairs had to have a capacitor replaced, first year in the house so a home warranty covered it. 

Hey guys, it was the capacitor. :) Repairman had one in his truck and put it in. Now, like me, the house is cool again. You guys are smart.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »
You're lucky. My capacitor requires 1.21 gigawatts.  :o

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline KSHogg

• Music Man
  • Boar
  • Mobile spray tanner
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
Hey guys, it was the capacitor. :) Repairman had one in his truck and put it in. Now, like me, the house is cool again. You guys are smart.

Thanks,
Kim

Obviously, since you moved you aren't fluxing enough!!!

Still runnin' against the wind

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:26:07 PM »
my furnace will blow hot air when I turn the heater on.  However, when i turn the AC on, i hear the unit outside running but the blower doesnt come on.

Any ideas?  Is there a separate blower for each?

The very pants I was returning!

Offline 501 Boyz

• Tush Hog
AC Unit
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
May be low on freon.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
May be low on freon.

So it wont blow at all if the freon is low?

Offline 501 Boyz

• Tush Hog
AC Unit
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:58:12 AM »
Mine won't blow any air out if it has no freon.  Had a leak last summer and couldn't get any circulation through. 

Offline gibraltar

• habitual line stepper
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
my furnace will blow hot air when I turn the heater on.  However, when i turn the AC on, i hear the unit outside running but the blower doesnt come on.

Any ideas?  Is there a separate blower for each?
The heater fan, on older models, is turned on by the fan/limit control.  The air conditioner blower comes on by a relay.  The relay is most always a 90340. If you had a meter I could walk you through it. If you don't have a meter, I would guess it's the relay. PM if any questions.

Offline gibraltar

• habitual line stepper
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:28:16 AM »
Just for future reference, I'm a Heat-Air contractor in Eastern Ark. PM me with a/c-heat problems cause I don't always read the Help me thread.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:11 AM »
He knows what he's talking about. He's so money, he doesn't even know it.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
AC is working now.  For whatever reason.  I didn't do anything.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• Boar
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »
Had something up with one of my AC units at the end of last summer.  I'm hoping for a cool spring so I can put it off for a few more months.