Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register.

Author Topic: Blinker Fluid?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline clintcommander

• Take it easy... and if its easy, take it twice!
  • Tush Hog
Blinker Fluid?
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »
Just kidding...

I have a '98 Monte Carlo that's having brake light issues.  I know the bulbs are good, I've recently replaced them.  I know the fuse is good, I've replaced it too.  The weird thing is the driving lights work, the emergency flashers work, and the turn signals work (left is intermittent).  The only brake light that does work is the bar light in my rear window, so I know the brakes are sending a signal back that way.

What else can I do or test?  I really don't want to take it to a shop to get it fixed because I'm broke as shit, but I've already had a few warnings from the local fuzz.

Once upon a time, big fat titties, and they all lived happily ever after.
The End

Offline VerotiK

• Inventor of Kitten Mittens
  • King of the Hogs
  • All over your face
Re: Blinker Fluid?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »
Your blinkers and tail lights will be on one element and the brake light will be on another.  Chances are that both of them arent bad.  There is probably a switch on the brake pedal that is pushed when you press the brakes.  Make a jumper and wire the 2 wires into it together and see if your brake lights come on.  If they do, you have a bad switch.

If your woman is hideous, well, maybe don't come talk to me.  --Cerdo 2011

Offline MDEM

• Hater
  • Boar
  • Repulsive Degenerate
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:53:53 AM »
Your blinkers and tail lights will be on one element and the brake light will be on another.  Chances are that both of them arent bad.  There is probably a switch on the brake pedal that is pushed when you press the brakes.  Make a jumper and wire the 2 wires into it together and see if your brake lights come on.  If they do, you have a bad switch.

Good call.  If that ain't it, chase the wires down the length of the harness and find out where the insulation has rubbed off against the frame.  Cover that spot up good with electrical tape and they should start working again.

This is a high quality post.

Offline Ahole

• Boar
  • DERP!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
The weird thing is the driving lights work, the emergency flashers work, and the turn signals work (left is intermittent). 

Turn signals are supposed to be intermittent. Everything is fine.

Offline clintcommander

• Take it easy... and if its easy, take it twice!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
Turn signals are supposed to be intermittent. Everything is fine.

Orly?  :sarcasm:

What I meant is that there is a wiring problem or a short somewhere that causes my left signal not to work... I think.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does the rapid blink that signals a bulb is out.

Once upon a time, big fat titties, and they all lived happily ever after.
The End

Offline Buffinator

• TheBestWhiteMeat
  • King of the Hogs
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
Isn't rapid blink a bad ground or loose neutral connection?  Been awhile since I've dealt with a similar issue.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:42:34 PM »
You'll have to trouble shoot it somehow. I'd see about getting another light to plug into the socket of the brake lights that don't work or get a meter and see if voltage is being passed through to that light when the brakes are pushed. I wouldn't think each brake light would be on there own circuits so if one works there's got to be issues where they split off, I know on some models there are wire plugs...it's possible you have a bad/rusty plug and it's not making good contact.

An issue I ran into one time was causing all manner of intermittent problems in my 1996 Chevy truck...ended up being a shorted out wire on the trailer harness. It was fucking with the radio, heater, blinkers, brake lights, and a few other things best I recall.

Offline RedRiverHog

• Tush Hog
  • Fuck Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
Left brake flasher