Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New Orleans - Info Discussion  (Read 37501 times)

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
Re: New Orleans - Info Discussion
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 09:14:57 PM »
I think we are going to book the Astor Crowne Plaza on Bourbon and Canal, anyone have anything good or bad to say about that place?

I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
Re: New Orleans
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
i'm not sure what you're saying - are you asking which areas are good and which are bad?

bad:
tulane st. - the absolute worst. it's off of canal
off of canal - anything on the opposite side of canal from bourbon. bad.
side alleys - really, any that are dark and where you don't see people. it's not a good idea to go down there

good:
canal itself is well lit and safe
bourbon itself - there are too many people for anyone to really mess with you
frenchman st. - go to the end of dauphine, it circles back, and you're on frenchman. that's where the locals go.

Missed this but that's good advice.
Especially on Frenchman. Although, it's not all the way at the end of Dauphine, but I could be misremembering since I haven't been back since I lived there pre-Katrina.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:03:01 PM by Stephen Colboar »
I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Hog Jordan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 09:51:08 PM »
I think we are going to book the Astor Crowne Plaza on Bourbon and Canal, anyone have anything good or bad to say about that place?

good location, but i know nothing about it. Enjoy your Krystal Burgers. place gets packed at 4 am, tho.

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 10:00:51 PM »

I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline sainthog

• A Shoat
  • 77/88
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »
http://www.therooseveltneworleans.com/

12 of us are staying here (6 rooms). 1/2 way between superdome and french quarter plus a pretty nice pad. We are fired up!

Offline shotmaster03

• Absolutely no insider info...
  • Wild Hog
  • I hate mechanics in Alabama
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »
Whatever you do, do not stay in Gretna.  I had a really awful night there one time. 

Wisconsin Fan in Orlando: Excuse me sir, can you tell me where you got that Capital One Patch?
Me:                              Yeah, got it at the Dr. Pepper thing over there.
Wisconsin Fan in Orlando: Thanks, oh yeah, and Bucky fucked your mom!
Me:                              Wow

Online gambler

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »
Whatever you do, do not stay in Gretna.  I had a really awful night there one time. 
She turned out to be a he?

Offline Hog Ty

• A Shoat
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »
Have gotten recommendations for the below, got a room at $189 for Monday and $239 for Tuesday night.

http://www.maisondupuy.com/

I've got a room reserved there as well.

Offline MDEM

• Hater
  • Boar
  • Repulsive Degenerate
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 11:18:25 PM »
Bowlcut said we'd be lucky to bring 10-12k fans.  Looks like we sold 17.5k before we are even officially in the game.  I'm guessing we have 30k minimum.

What the fuck is wrong with that guy, and why is he still employed by the University?  He's such a negative nancy...which is strange considering what a positive petunia he used to be when he was trying on women's clothes at Helene's back in his halcyon days.

This is a high quality post.

Offline KSHogg

• Music Man
  • King of the Hogs
  • Mobile spray tanner
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
HJ, do you know anything about the Bourbon Orleans? It's about 6 - 7 blocks down Bourbon st from Canal.

Sue E Pig is going to be there and a couple more. They are also catching the Amtrak at Greenwood.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:27:51 PM by KSHogg »
Still runnin' against the wind

Offline ups_hog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 11:34:07 PM »
We went down in October (weekend of the Auburn game) to visit some friends that live there, and I'll second what was previously said about Frenchman St.  We walked from Bourbon to Frenchman and back late at night and had no problems at all.  Also got to see some cool houses along the way.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »
HJ, do you know anything about the Bourbon Orleans? It's about 6 - 7 blocks down Bourbon st from Canal.

Sue E Pig is going to be there and a couple more. They are also catching the Amtrak at Greenwood.

It's a good spot right on Bourbon... but that's all I know.

People that live or lived in New Orleans probably won't know entirely too much about hotels

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Hog Jordan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »

know nothing about it. i lived in the city, so i really don't know much about hotels

but based on the website, it looks nice enough. based on the location, you shouldn't have any problems at all. it's in great walking distance to everything, and just a block over from the hotel i recommended earlier.

Offline Kid Dynamite

• Boar
  • "My style is impetuous,My defense is impregnable!"
Re: New Orleans
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 11:41:33 PM »
If you can find a room at the Comfort Inn and Suites (Downtown), it's 3 short blocks away and is staggering distance from the Sugardome. There's at least gonna be 6 Hog fans holed up in there the day and night of the game. Heard there's even a bar down by the lobby.  :cheers:

Booked one there myself almost a month ago. I had faith.  :helmet:

Offline GoodbyePorkPieHat

• Tush Hog
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »

Offline KSHogg

• Music Man
  • King of the Hogs
  • Mobile spray tanner
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 11:52:33 PM »
know nothing about it. i lived in the city, so i really don't know much about hotels

but based on the website, it looks nice enough. based on the location, you shouldn't have any problems at all. it's in great walking distance to everything, and just a block over from the hotel i recommended earlier.

Sue-E-Pig is my baby girl and they got their room for 200. I couldn't understand it because I read in the paper that all the motels were 3x-4x as high as they were two weeks ago. I didn't think 200 was too out of line for four people.

Still runnin' against the wind

Offline Hog Jordan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 11:57:56 PM »
200 for 2 beds (i assume?) is not bad at all. if you look at the hotel i listed earlier, their price for a single bed drops from $190/night on the 4th to $50/night by the 6th. hotels in the area will definitely be about 4x what they would be otherwise.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 11:57:57 PM »
There are a lot of hotels... so the prices are going to be competitive and not near as bad as people think.

May as well throw this out there. Saw it somewhere last week and laughed my ass off at it...
Actually led me to a few spots that I frequented often.

Offline Hog Jordan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »
got a bigger version you can link to?

and colboar, you're an ex-new orleanian. you ever make it over to snake n jakes?

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »
Yeah, when I was dating a girl that went to Tulane for a while... would find myself there more than a few times when I was uptown.
Awesome dive.

You're just gonna have to click the paperclip link and download. Only size I got on the flowchart. Picked it up off twitter.

Offline Hog Jordan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »
i somehow never knew about this paperclip thing

i lived 3 blocks from snake n jakes. best place, even moreso if you're single. needless to say, my advice tends more to uptown places than downtown.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »
i somehow never knew about this paperclip thing

i lived 3 blocks from snake n jakes. best place, even moreso if you're single. needless to say, my advice tends more to uptown places than downtown.

Nice. Yeah that was my getaway. The girl lived near there over on Lowerline I believe. I'd walk my drunk ass there and back.

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 12:54:30 AM »
If you're on St. Charles, Igor's is a nice little dive. 

By the way, I would not walk up and down Canal St.  Just cross it if you're headed for the Quarter.  It isn't that someone would be intentionally shooting at you, but there's a lot of crossfire for some reason...

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline boartitz

• To LA via Omaha
  • King of the Hogs
  • And now, for something completely different
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 03:06:07 AM »
and because i <3 the woppussy, those of you looking for good "cajun" food (there really isn't much in NOLA, it's from another region in LA), avoid The Gumbo Shop. It fuckin suuuuuuuucks. Go to Coops Place. It rules. The gumbo is top notch, and fried chicken is also excellent there.
Coop's used to be a regular hangout of mine when I was down there. Used to have happy hour crawfish. Eat them by the 1/2 or whole hour. They'd always bring you a few more lbs right before your time ran out.
Coop also owned Maximo's a few doors down on Decatur. Italian food. You could also order from their menu while at Coop's and they would deliver it.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:40:19 AM by boartitz »
If you can't get even,get odd