Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 104228 times)

Offline copenhaWgen

• Wild Hog
  • Satisfied since 1986
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #300 on: October 19, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
Keep in mind I am looking at this from a conference perspective and agree it could be excellent for Arkansas if it happens. I don't have an issue with expansion. I have an issue with bringing in another team for the sake of rounding. Mizzou is an awesome school that helps our conference rep with academics, not athletics.

I also agree that we have some weak members but adding another only further weakens the conference. If it was a great in my opinion. I don't profess to have the answers nor do I have an alternative that makes sense from an alignment, market, rivalry, scheduling perspective. My preference would be to add an eastern school.   

I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

We are gOing to 16 teams and 4 divisions.

I always thought big10 would wake uP and realize this and Mizzou would wait for a deal with them.   

Big 10 didn't wake uP and Mizzou can't afford to wait much like us in 90. Too risky for them.

Mizzou will be n east for a couple of yrs while we add va tech and nc state.
I refuse to join any club that would have someone like me as a member. - Groucho Marx

Online HogofWar

• King of the Hogs
  • Sex, like Duct Tape, fixes everything.
« Reply #301 on: October 19, 2011, 10:20:20 AM »
Keep in mind I am looking at this from a conference perspective and agree it could be excellent for Arkansas if it happens. I don't have an issue with expansion. I have an issue with bringing in another team for the sake of rounding. Mizzou is an awesome school that helps our conference rep with academics, not athletics.

I also agree that we have some weak members but adding another only further weakens the conference. If it was a great in my opinion. I don't profess to have the answers nor do I have an alternative that makes sense from an alignment, market, rivalry, scheduling perspective. My preference would be to add an eastern school.   

We could be on our way to add sixteen. That is the only reason we add Missouri in my opinion. I agree it does not make since to add a weaker school just to round out the numbers. Could they just be a stand in for someone better to come along? They want to go to the Loser/Cheater Big 10, we could give them the boot for an eastern team in the near future.

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #302 on: October 19, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »
We are gOing to 16 teams and 4 divisions.

I always thought big10 would wake uP and realize this and Mizzou would wait for a deal with them.   

Big 10 didn't wake uP and Mizzou can't afford to wait much like us in 90. Too risky for them.

Mizzou will be n east for a couple of yrs while we add va tech and nc state.
I don't think you've been paying attention. If we were going to 16 by adding NC State and Va Tech we would have already done it. I agree that would be the best plan and those would be the best teams to add but it's not going to happen. We are barely getting to 14 and that's if Mizzou makes up their dumbass yankee minds. All the little conferences will keep playing wifeswap and make some 22 team conferences and all that and the Big12 will probably add a couple of them, but the big conferences are mostly done for a bit I think.

This all got out of hand a bit in the media and everyone starting assuming the 16 team league were inevitable but I think the conferences realized how that would change the landscape of college football and have balked at that.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #303 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:26 AM »
Whatever happens, I hope we can keep LSU on Black Friday.  Ideally, I'd like to see us open conference play with Mizzou and end with LSU.  That would help us around our Bama problem, and also make for a sort of semi-rivalry set up with Mizzou.  Plus Columbia is freezing later in the year.

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Online Turd F.

• Microagressor
  • Boar
  • Skiddly biddly bop!
« Reply #304 on: October 25, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/201110250055

MORGANTOWN -- West Virginia University has applied for membership to the Big 12 Conference and been accepted, sources familiar with the negotiations told The Charleston Daily Mail on Tuesday.

The Mountaineers would replace the Missouri Tigers, who are believed to be ready to withdraw from the Big 12 soon to join the Southeastern Conference.

West Virginia's entry would return the Big 12 to 10 member schools -- Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech and WVU.

WVU would be subjected to the Big East Conference's exit fee and 27-month wait before it could leave. WVU was part of the unanimous vote last week to increase the exit fee from $5 million to $10 million. However, since no one has joined the Big East since that decision, WVU would only have to pay $5 million.

The details of WVU's move are still being finalized -- specifically when WVU could leave the Big East and join the Big 12, but the sources told the Daily Mail the decision has been approved on both sides.

WVU personnel are to meet Tuesday to discuss the resolution and an announcement could be made soon, likely as soon as Missouri says it is leaving the Big 12.

WVU follows Syracuse, Pitt and TCU out of the Big East. The Orange and Panthers said last month they will join the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Horned Frogs will join with WVU in the reconstituted Big 12, which previously lost Nebraska to the Big Ten, Colorado to the Pac-12 and Texas A&M to the SEC

With the Mountaineers leaving, the Big East, which lost Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College to the ACC in the last round of expansion, has only Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Rutgers and Connecticut as football members.

The Big East previously announced it hoped to add six schools to create a 12-team football membership.
Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Boar
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #305 on: October 25, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »

MORGANTOWN -- West Virginia University has applied for membership to the Big 12 Conference and been accepted, sources familiar with the negotiations told The Charleston Daily Mail on Tuesday.

The Mountaineers would replace the Missouri Tigers, who are believed to be ready to withdraw from the Big 12 soon to join the Southeastern Conference.

West Virginia's entry would return the Big 12 to 10 member schools -- Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech and WVU.

WVU would be subjected to the Big East Conference's exit fee and 27-month wait before it could leave. WVU was part of the unanimous vote last week to increase the exit fee from $5 million to $10 million. However, since no one has joined the Big East since that decision, WVU would only have to pay $5 million.

The details of WVU's move are still being finalized -- specifically when WVU could leave the Big East and join the Big 12, but the sources told the Daily Mail the decision has been approved on both sides.

WVU personnel are to meet Tuesday to discuss the resolution and an announcement could be made soon, likely as soon as Missouri says it is leaving the Big 12.

WVU follows Syracuse, Pitt and TCU out of the Big East. The Orange and Panthers said last month they will join the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Horned Frogs will join with WVU in the reconstituted Big 12, which previously lost Nebraska to the Big Ten, Colorado to the Pac-12 and Texas A&M to the SEC

With the Mountaineers leaving, the Big East, which lost Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College to the ACC in the last round of expansion, has only Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Rutgers and Connecticut as football members.

The Big East previously announced it hoped to add six schools to create a 12-team football membership.

Hmmm... closest away game is in Ames, Iowa. About 850 miles according to Mapquest. That's a LOT of travel expenses and I doubt TU and OU will want to give up any of their lion's share of income to help them out. ::)

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #306 on: October 25, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
Hmmm... closest away game is in Ames, Iowa. About 850 miles according to Mapquest. That's a LOT of travel expenses and I doubt TU and OU will want to give up any of their lion's share of income to help them out. ::)

Thought the Big XII agreed recently to equal revenue sharing?

Online Turd F.

• Microagressor
  • Boar
  • Skiddly biddly bop!
« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
I hate seeing WVU going to the Big 12. I wanted the Big East to survive by taking some MWC & C-USA teams, which would have possibly opened up a slot for LA Tech in C-USA. I have to think WVU leaving will mean the other teams the Big East wanted will no longer have any interest in going to the Big East now.
Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline Raincrow

• A Shoat
  • I aint afraid of no smoke!
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:15 PM »

Didn't their coach (Rutgers) have a chance to take a big job a few years ago????

I can't remember but I bet you couldn't put a mule bridle on his ass about now if so.

Online chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »
I can still see a couple of those going to the ACC for a 16 team league. SEC would then pick off two more from the mid Atlantic and ACC would fill in with the rest of what's left of the Big East.

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #310 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
Big East is going to meet with MWC and CUSA to talk about forming a superDUPER conference.

This was talked about last week but then it was made clear that it was the MWC/CUSA super conference (who have already agreed to team up next season) was pursuing the Big East, not the other way around.  At the time, the BE thought they could hang on to their members and add a half dozen more teams to stabilize the conference.

Not happening now.  I doubt they can hang on to Louisville, but if they're going to go with a nationwide conference...

WEST:
1. Hawaii
2. Fresno St
3. SanDiego St
4. Nevada
5. UNLV
6. Boise St
7. Wyoming
8. Colorado St
9. Air Force

SOUTH:
1. New Mexico St
2. UTEP
3. Tulsa
4. SMU
5. Rice
6. Houston
7. Tulane
8. SoMiss
9. Memphis

EAST:
1. UAB
2. South Florida
3. Central Florida
4. East Carolina
5. Louisville
6. Marshall
7. Cincy
8. Rutgers
9. UCONN

If they lose Louisville then there's always Navy, Temple, LaTech, Arkansas St...

Looking at the above 27 teams, five of them have been to a BCS bowl since the system started in '98 (Boise, Cincy, Lousivlle, Hawaii, UCONN)

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
  • Port Tobacco carriage maker
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »
Didn't their coach (Rutgers) have a chance to take a big job a few years ago????

I can't remember but I bet you couldn't put a mule bridle on his ass about now if so.

I believe your correct that Schiano (sp?) had a shot at a big job at one point and turned it down. 

Big East football was at its most interesting in 2006 and 2007.  In 2006 Louisville, Rutgers, and West Virginia were all undefeated about three-quarters of the way through the season.  Two of the three games between those teams were on consecutive Thursday nights and the atmosphere as well as the games themselves were exciting.  In the end a Petrino-coached Louisville came out ahead of the other two with a 11-1 record, eventually beating Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl.

In 2007 West Virginia, South Florida, and Cinncinati were again all undefeated at midseason.  Eventually only West Virginia remained in the top 10 by the last week of the season.  Arkansas beat LSU the day after Thanksgiving and all WVU had to do was beat Pittsburgh, who they were hosting, the next day and they were probably heading to the National Title game.  They failed miserably and settled for beating Big Game Bob and Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.  Since then it has more or less been downhill for that conference.

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
« Reply #312 on: October 25, 2011, 04:13:50 PM »
Big East is going to meet with MWC and CUSA to talk about forming a superDUPER conference.

This was talked about last week but then it was made clear that it was the MWC/CUSA super conference (who have already agreed to team up next season) was pursuing the Big East, not the other way around.  At the time, the BE thought they could hang on to their members and add a half dozen more teams to stabilize the conference.

Not happening now.  I doubt they can hang on to Louisville, but if they're going to go with a nationwide conference...

Three Division Superconference

The NCAA requires that either there be two divisions per conference or maybe its just that they require a championship game.  Either way, I'd like to see how they get a conference championship game out of that.

Offline Snowman Slayer

• Irreplaceably Irrelevant
  • Boar
  • The Man, The Myth, The Legend
« Reply #313 on: October 25, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »

Full retard

Online chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #314 on: October 25, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
Full retard

Yes it is.

I know some don't like all this expansion, but at least the SEC is picking off the neighboring states' fruit trees meaning it's not all far flung with States in between. Same went for the BIG and even the latest round for the ACC did as well.

I guess those left in the Big East are nervous and making hasty decisions like that one due to fear of being left out. 14 team leagues with 8 game slates in football make no sense. 16 is more workable with more flexibility in scheduling, I just wish the ACC or the SEC would just go ahead and get it there.

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #315 on: October 25, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »
Yes it is.

I know some don't like all this expansion, but at least the SEC is picking off the neighboring states' fruit trees meaning it's not all far flung with States in between. Same went for the BIG and even the latest round for the ACC did as well.

Could be wrong, but I thought it was like a SEC rule or something that said any additional schools have to be in states that touch other SEC states.

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
Could be wrong, but I thought it was like a SEC rule or something that said any additional schools have to be in states that touch other SEC states.

I heard that it was a Big 10 rule that was cited by many when the rumors of Longhorn U going there were making the rounds last year.  If that was true then WV would have had to get around that somehow when they applied to the SEC last month or whenever it was.

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #317 on: October 25, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »
I heard that it was a Big 10 rule that was cited by many when the rumors of Longhorn U going there were making the rounds last year.  If that was true then WV would have had to get around that somehow when they applied to the SEC last month or whenever it was.

They no longer touch Kensucky?

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »

Hatfield's and McCoy's can attest to that.
There's only one Razorback, Chuck

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »

Oh yeah, forgot about Kensucky.  Off to DIAF.

Offline FayettenamHog

• wants you to go fuck yourself
  • King of the Hogs
  • Bielemania
« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
Louisville may be blocking WVU's move to the Big XII by going theirowndamnselves...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Louisville-won-8217-t-let-Mountaineers-get-away?urn=ncaaf-wp8721

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #321 on: October 26, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »
Louisville may be blocking WVU's move to the Big XII by going theirowndamnselves...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Louisville-won-8217-t-let-Mountaineers-get-away?urn=ncaaf-wp8721

Why can't they both go? If Mizzou leaves, you add BYU and you're good.

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #322 on: October 26, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »
Oral (Insert joke here) Roberts is leaving their conference and very few noticed
AYFSM?

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
« Reply #323 on: October 26, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

Why can't they both go? If Mizzou leaves, you add BYU and you're good.

Because Texas only wants 10 teams in the conference.  And if you haven't noticed, what Texas wants it gets.

Remember that scene in The Dark Knight where the Joker tells a couple of minions that they get to fight to the death to see who gets to join his group?  I imagine that's what is playing out here between Louisville and WV.

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #324 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »
Because Texas only wants 10 teams in the conference.  And if you haven't noticed, what Texas wants it gets.

Remember that scene in The Dark Knight where the Joker tells a couple of minions that they get to fight to the death to see who gets to join his group?  I imagine that's what is playing out here between Louisville and WV.

There was already talk that if Mizzou leaves, the Big XII will expand back to 12.  They only want 10 if Mizzou stays.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 33 queries.