Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 111328 times)

Offline Turd F.

• Very Stable Genius
  • Boar
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »
Mitch McConnell (Louisville alum) is trying to either prevent this or sell Louisville to the Big 12 over WVU:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/26/report-louisville-behind-wvu-to-big-12-snag/

What started as a hiccup for West Virginia’s seemingly inevitable invite to the Big 12 has now turned to reports that the Mountaineers have been blocked (so to speak) for Big 12 entry by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

What we know is that West Virginia MetroNews, citing a high-placed source, reports the Big 12 contacted West Virginia yesterday and the two sides agreed to an informal verbal “invite and acceptance”, and that a press conference with the two sides was set for today (Wednesday) to announce that agreement. This had also been reported by Brett McMurphy of CBS Sports.

In the reports of Dominion Post reporter Drew Rubenstein and MetroNews, WVU felt the deal was indeed “done”.

But late last night, as has already been reported, WVU sent out a press release stating there would be no press conference for Wednesday. “Contrary to media reports, there is no press conference scheduled for Wednesday concerning WVU’s athletic conference affiliation.  There are no further comments at that time,” the statement said.

From MetroNews’ original story (before updates):

As of late yesterday afternoon, WVU had received a verbal invitation to the Big 12 and had accepted. Plans were in the works for a news conference Wednesday to make the announcement.

But sources say the process hit a “bump in the road” last night.  WVU was apparently notified by the Big 12 that it needed “more information” from WVU and that there would be a vote by the Big 12 Board, perhaps on Monday.

Pete Thamel of the New York Times reports that Louisville made a late, 11th hour surge to get back into the discussion as the 10th member of the Big 12.

Two people with direct knowledge of the situation said that lobbying by the Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, including to David Boren, the president of the University of Oklahoma and a former senator, helped slow West Virginia’s admittance to the Big 12.

McConnell is a 1964 graduate of the University of Louisville.

Where the speculation begins is if there was political pressure employed by McConnell to Boren, and potentially, other members of the Big 12 to re-evaluate Louisville as a potential candidate to replace Missouri if they leave for the SEC as they are expected to do.

When that announcement will come is still unknown.

Additionally, West Virginia senator Jay Rockefeller has released the following statement:

“The Big 12 picked WVU on the strength of its program — period. Now the media reports that political games may upend that. That’s just flat wrong. I am doing and will do whatever it takes to get us back to the merits.”

West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin (previously Gov.) has also called a 6 p.m. press conference to discuss conference realignment issues.

Political pressure, if indeed the driving force behind this latest round of conference shifting, is nothing new; frankly, it doesn’t matter if it’s from McConnell, Rockefeller, Manchin or all of the above. It is, however, a prime example of how far away college football has deviated from logic and rational thinking.
Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• I AM THE FIRE
  • King of the Hogs
  • BURN IT DOWN
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline EastArkHog

• Didn't win the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2011, 07:15:04 AM »
Um, I think someone at the SEC just goofed.

http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/sec-expansion-thread-welcome-mizzou-and-hebrew.98802/page-29

Skip down about halfway

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Given the ever-changing conference paradigm over the past year, the Southeastern Conference has continued to demonstrate its commitment to maintaining its stature as one of the nation’s premier conferences by welcoming the University of Missouri as the league’s 14th member, Commissioner Mike Slive announced Monday.

Missouri joins Texas A&M University as the league’s two new institutions who will begin full membership on July 1, 2012. It is the first expansion of the SEC membership since Arkansas and South Carolina joined the conference in 1992.

Missouri was a charter member of the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1907, which became the Big Six Conference in 1964, the Big Eight Conference in 1964 and the Big 12 Conference in 1996.

Geographically, it is a natural fit as the state of Missouri touches more states (Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee) that currently are home to an SEC institution than any other state that is not in the league’s previous 13-member footprint. Like the majority of the cities in the SEC, Columbia, Mo., is a college-centered town with a metropolitan population of 164,283, making it the fifth-largest city in the state of Missouri.

With an enrollment of 32,415, the University of Missouri boasts a strong academic resume, as it is one of only five universities nationwide with law, medicine, veterinary medicine and a research reactor on one campus. Six of Missouri’s sports teams last season led the Big 12 in graduation rate for their respective sports.

Culturally, Missouri is as well known for its barbecue, country music, history and rich tradition as the majority of the current states of the SEC.

Missouri is one of only 35 public U.S. universities invited to membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). It will become the fourth SEC school that is part of the AAU, joining Florida, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt.

Monday’s announcement marks just the fourth time in the history of the conference that the SEC will expand its membership. In a landscape that has seemed ever-changing in recent years, the SEC has exemplified stability as 10 of its original 13 members remain.

The league began as a 13-team league until Sewanee’s departure from the conference in 1940. After Georgia Tech’s move to independent status in 1964, the league had 11 members before Tulane departed in 1966, leaving the SEC as a 10-team conference for more than two decades.

At the start of the decade of the 1990s, a similar shift in conference alignment allowed Arkansas and South Carolina to join the SEC. The benefits have been nothing short of outstanding.

Soon after joining the league, the Razorbacks claimed the 1994 NCAA Championship in men’s basketball and finished as the NCAA runner-up the following year. They made their first appearance in the SEC Championship football game in 1995, appearing again in 2002 and 2006.

The Arkansas women’s basketball team made its first-ever Final Four appearance in 1998 before winning the WNIT the next season. The level of track and field in the SEC was quickly raised with the addition of the Razorbacks. Arkansas’ men won cross country national titles in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999 and 2000. Men’s NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships came every year from 1993-2000 and again in 2003, 2005 and 2006. The men also claimed NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships from 1993-1999 and again in 2003.

South Carolina won the Women’s NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship in 2002, becoming, at the time, just the second different SEC team to claim an NCAA Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championship. The past two seasons have been magical ones for the Gamecocks, as they have captured back-to-back NCAA Championships in baseball and advanced to the SEC Championship game in football for the first time in the program’s history.

On September 25, 2011, Texas A&M was announced as the league’s 13th member, beginning with the 2012-13 academic year.

Missouri took to the field for the first time in 1890, making it one of the first SEC institutions to begin playing football. Kentucky played a three-game schedule in 1881, but didn’t play again until a decade later. Vanderbilt also began its football program in 1890.

Don Faurot was one of the early founders of Missouri athletics, as he was a three-sport standout for the Tigers from 1922-24. He served the school as its football coach from 1935-56 and continued on as the athletics director until 1967. Faurot is known for the creation of the Split-T formation in 1941. The formation’s option play still today serves as the basis for many present-day schemes, including the Wishbone, Wingbone, Veer and I-Formation.

Faurot compiled a record of 101-79-10, making the school’s first modern-day bowl appearance in 1939 when it advanced to the Orange Bowl. Until 1994, the year prior to his death, Faurot was heavily involved in the annual Blue-Gray football game in Montgomery, Ala.

The Tigers rose to national prominence under head coach Dan Devine in the 1960s, when Devine’s winning percentage of .767 was the best in the nation during that decade. In 13 seasons at Missouri, Devine posted a record of 93-37-7 and eight players earned First-Team All-America honors. His 1960 Missouri squad finished with an 11-0 record and defeated Navy 21-14 in the Orange Bowl. The 1965 squad went 8-2-1 and defeated Florida in the Sugar Bowl. The Tigers won the Big Eight Conference in 1960 and 1969 under Devine.

Since 2007, the football Tigers have claimed three Big 12 North Championships. Under current head coach Gary Pinkel, Missouri posted a 12-2 record in 2007 and defeated Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.

The Tigers began playing basketball in 1906 and enjoyed the greatest amount of success under legendary head coach Norm Stewart from 1967-99. In 32 years, Stewart led Missouri to 634 wins and 333 losses for a .656 winning percentage, the best in program history. Stewart’s teams won 20 or more games 17 times, including a school-record 29 wins during the 1988-89 season. He won eight Big Eight Conference championships and six conference tournament titles.

Missouri started competing in the sport of baseball in 1891 and won the College World Series in 1954, marking the school’s first national title in any sport. The Tigers have made six CWS appearances in the program’s history, including three national runner-up finishes (1952, 1958, 1964).

The Tigers also have had great success in the sport of track and field and won the NCAA Men’s Indoor Championship in 1965. The soccer and softball teams have been proficient as of late with soccer winning the 2009 Big 12 Championship and softball claiming that title in 2011.

Didn't his come from the SEC Digital network? If so, oh my lol................

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life™

Offline Turd F.

• Very Stable Genius
  • Boar
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
Jay Rockefeller: "In your face, Bitch McConnell!"

http://tracking.si.com/2011/10/28/report-big-12-decides-to-accept-west-virginia-into-the-conference/

West Virginia University has been officially invited to join the Big 12 Conference sources have told Brett McMurphy of CBS Sports.

It was initially reported earlier this week that West Virginia’s acceptance to the Big 12 was all but a formality; however last minute lobbying by Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell and others on behalf of Louisville delayed the final decision until this morning. West Virginia’s entrance to the conference is pending the departure of Missouri to the SEC, which is expected to happen within weeks.

The departure of West Virginia marks the fourth major team to make the decision to leave the Big East, after Pittsburgh, Syracuse and TCU announced intentions to leave for greener pastures earlier this year. With this latest loss, only Connecticut, Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati and Louisville will remain as members the conference’s football league.

As part of their departure, West Virginia must pay a $5 million exit fee. CBS Sports reports that this number could have been as high as $10 million if the school had announced their intention to leave after the Big East adds either Navy or Air Force. Big East commissioner John Marinatto reportedly met with Navy, Air Force and several other schools last week in an attempt to bolster the conference’s football presence.
Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #330 on: October 28, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »

It's interesting to note that, in the Big 12's press release about WVU joining the conference, Missouri is not on the list of schools expected to be in the conference at the start of the 2012-2013 season.  I guess they're going somewhere . . .   

“Beginning with the 2012-13 season it is expected that the Big 12 Conference will be comprised of 10 Universities – Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia.”

Offline KCHOGS

• Tush Hog
« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »

It's interesting to note that, in the Big 12's press release about WVU joining the conference, Missouri is not on the list of schools expected to be in the conference at the start of the 2012-2013 season.  I guess they're going somewhere . . .   

“Beginning with the 2012-13 season it is expected that the Big 12 Conference will be comprised of 10 Universities – Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia.”

only problem with that list is the Big East has a 27 month notice and all schools (Syracuse, WVU, and Pitt) are expected to honor that.  Of course money talks, so they can probably get out for a little more cash.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2011, 12:54:06 PM »
The real question is what does the big 12 do with the money they get from aTm & Mizzou for leaving.  Do they keep it, or give it to the big east to start next year?
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
only problem with that list is the Big East has a 27 month notice and all schools (Syracuse, WVU, and Pitt) are expected to honor that.  Of course money talks, so they can probably get out for a little more cash.
They're working out a deal somehow. Not sure how, but the only reason this is happening is because WVU can come in 2012. Big12 wouldn't do it otherwise. It also means Missouri will come in by 12, which had to happen for us to work out schedules.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline Cerdo

• Despacito
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
The nice thing is, nothing changes for us at all.  We're already playing A&M and if we get to swap out SC for Mizzou we get a fan friendly road game against a team that is probably going to have a worse record against us for the next 20 than SC did against us. 

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Moving Mizzou to the East will be spun around the fact that they touch 2 "east" states (Kentucky and Tennessee) and thus have road-friendly division games against Tenn, Vandy, and Kentucky.  Let Mizzou and Arkansas be cross-division rivals and there's another road-friendly game for Mizzou.

It might make more sense to pair up A&M and Mizzou since they are both coming from the same conference, and are coming in at the same time...but moving them to the east already makes so little sense geographically, why stop there.

TAMU and SoCar might grow into a good series, sicne both schools seem to have a military vibe going on.

Plus it's a win for Arkansas, since few bother going to Columbia, SC every other year, but very likely will travel to Columbia, MO.

...speaking of: The SEC now (or soon) has three tigers, two bulldogs, two Columbias, and one functional retard in the land of the klan.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Online Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #336 on: October 28, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
Game-week threads are going to be nice, there are some hot ass bishes at UM-Columbia. :stache:

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #337 on: October 28, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »

...speaking of: The SEC now (or soon) has three tigers, two bulldogs, two Columbias, and one functional retard in the land of the klan.

I chortled. 

I'll be glad when this round is over (hopefully) and Misery makes it's announcement, & the hillfolk move over to suck on some longwhorn cawk and we can stop talking about this crap. 
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #338 on: October 28, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »
Game-week threads are going to be nice, there are some hot ass bishes at UM-Columbia. :stache:

C'mon now... If you state it, prove it or STFU!
AYFSM?

Online Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #339 on: October 28, 2011, 03:02:40 PM »
C'mon now... If you state it, prove it or STFU!

Offline MDEM

• Hater
  • Boar
  • Repulsive Degenerate
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »

Is there flesh in there somewhere, or just the plastic?   :hmmm:
This is a high quality post.

Offline PIG.WEED

• Flying under the radar for 2012.
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »
I'd hit 'em.  JoeBob? (Like we need to ask?)
Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, The Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for any inconvenie

Online Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #342 on: October 28, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »
Is there flesh in there somewhere, or just the plastic?   :hmmm:

I actually had some work to get done today... That was the quick n easy from a non-googlemaster.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #343 on: October 29, 2011, 12:58:56 AM »
The nice thing is, nothing changes for us at all.  We're already playing A&M and if we get to swap out SC for Mizzou we get a fan friendly road game against a team that is probably going to have a worse record against us for the next 20 than SC did against us.

I don't know.  We have a pretty good record against SC - I would expect us to win about 2/3 against Mizzou. 

Plus it's a win for Arkansas, since few bother going to Columbia, SC every other year, but very likely will travel to Columbia, MO.

Columbia's downtown area around the school is really nice and has a lot of good places to hang out on game weekend - reminds me of some other SEC places like Fayetteville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn.

But their tailgating is definitely not up to SEC standards yet.

Fun fact:  Missouri is where homecoming started.  It's a pretty big deal up there. 
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline reverendhog

• Chaplain of teh woopussy
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #344 on: October 29, 2011, 01:06:51 AM »
I am five minutes from Bitch McMconnel's offiice. I am more than happy to "occupy"" it.
He who learns must suffer. And in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. - Aeschylus

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #345 on: November 06, 2011, 01:17:27 AM »
Looks like the announcement could come as early as Monday, with Mizzou in the East.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7197599/missouri-move-sec-planned-week-source-says

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Clark

• Controls white girls via the pumpkin spice.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Sailing on a sea of really smooth music.
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

I was in...Sang Bang...Dang Gong...I was all over the place, a lot of places. I was with the Green Berets, Special Unit Battalions... Commando Airborne Tactics...Specialist Tactics Unit Battalion. Yeah, it was real hush hush. I was Agent Orange, Special Agent Orange, that was me.

Offline KCHOGS

• Tush Hog
« Reply #348 on: November 06, 2011, 10:48:32 AM »
and Mizzou makes 14

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/229185/university-of-missouri-to-join-southeastern-conference.aspx

Mizzou just committed football suicide.  They've not been too competitive in the Big 12 (1 win against UT and OU) and without looking I believe just one trip to the Big 12 championship.  Keep in mind that's in the Big 12 North with Nebraska and then a bunch of cupcakes (Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Colorado).  They will never make a run in the SEC East and would be lucky to come in 4th in the SEC West.

In basketball they'll be fine.  Middle of the pack with an occasional top 3 finish.

Offline Razorback Jedi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #349 on: November 06, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »
Mike Anderson approves this message.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 38 queries.