Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 148979 times)

Offline Turd F.

• Praise Soros!
  • Tush Hog
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #350 on: November 07, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/07/bronco-mendenhall-we-have-been-approached-by-the-big-east/

Following up on an initial Denver Post report where BYU officials said they had been in talks with the Big East, Cougars coach Bronco Mendenhall confirmed today that the school had been in talks with the Big East about joining the conference.

“There is a push [from the Big East],” Mendenhall said. “There are conversations that are in place for the Big East to convince, or to have BYU join the conference.”

Mendenhall says he’s unsure how far along those conversations are in the process.

“I trust our athletic director [Tom Holmoe] and President [Cecil] Samuelson to deal with all that. I have been informed along the way. At some point there will be a decision of what our intentions will be,” Mendenhall said.

The Big East is looking to rebuild up to possibly 12 football teams following the departures of Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the ACC, and TCU and West Virginia to the Big 12. Although the Big East has announced its intentions to extend formal invites for expansion, the conference hasn’t officially announced to whom. It’s believed Boise State, Air Force and Navy will be brought in as football-only members and Houston, SMU and UCF in all sports.

Idaho’s State Board of Education approved Boise State’s request “to change conference affiliation for its intercollegiate athletics teams” last week; Air Force, however, could be more hesitant about jumping from the Mountain West.

Depending how long the talks between BYU and the Big East continue, the Broncos could be brought in as a football-only member. Most of BYU’s other sports play in the West Coast Conference.

If the Cougars did move to the Big East in football, it could be a part of a BCS automatic qualifying conference. The Big East’s automatic bid runs through 2013, but the additions of Boise State and BYU as part of the larger package of replacements could be enough to offset the loss of Pitt, Syracuse, TCU and WVU, allowing the Big East to maintain its AQ status beyond that point.

“Certainly there are a lot of questions on our part, but with the landscape changing the main benefit that I could see on a short term scale would be inclusion into the BCS system,” Mendenhall said. “That’s up in two years. Again whether the Big East is able hold that spot with the new teams going in? My guess would be yes.”

Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #351 on: November 07, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »
@Bruce Feldman
And change name to TheBigEast (of Hawaii). RT @McMurphyCBS: BYU & San Diego St possibilities for Big East. bit.ly/sLBuAB

;D

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Turd F.

• Praise Soros!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #352 on: November 07, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »
I bet the basketball schools (which run that conference) would never allow for a name change even though they really should rename it.

Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline shank portion

• Wild Hog
  • Pimp'n aint easy
« Reply #353 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
I already crammed my mule into a machine that cleaves cocks just in case this had already been posted. Looks like we may be going to a 9 game conference schedule after all.

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2011/11/7/2544222/sec-nine-game-conference-schedule-football

TRAVELHOG

« Reply #354 on: November 07, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
I already crammed my mule into a machine that cleaves cocks just in case this had already been posted. Looks like we may be going to a 9 game conference schedule after all.

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2011/11/7/2544222/sec-nine-game-conference-schedule-football

At least we won't have to buyout one of the OOC teams to make room for the extra SEC game.

LULZ

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:29:57 PM by TravelHog »

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #355 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
I'm surprised at the lack of comments about Missouri entering the SEC.  I know it's old news, but at least now it's official.

In my opinion, it's lame to put them in the east.  It looks just as silly as this Big East-Boise stuff.  People got leaned on by the Aladamnbama schools so that Auburn would not have to go to the east.  Good grief.  Can't somebody rise up to be a little more wise than the state of Alabama?  It doesn't take much.

Damn, they could play the stupid iron bowl every year regardless of division affiliation if they wanted to. 

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • Boar
  • I sang "Hey Jude", as he died.....
« Reply #356 on: November 07, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
Auburn wanted to go East.

Alabama didn't want Auburn to go East, because with only one cross-divisional rival, they would have had to choose between AU and UT as their permanent rivals.

But yeah, fuck Alabama.

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Kill The Ref

• Tush Hog
  • Dirty, Dirty Pig Boy.
« Reply #357 on: November 07, 2011, 07:05:22 PM »

Update 2, in the above article.

UPDATE 2

Charles Bloom, the SEC's PR guy, has denied that a nine-game schedule has even been discussed. Either Pastides got some seriously bad intel, or he seriously jumped the gun with this

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • An Unlikely Hero
« Reply #358 on: November 07, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
I'm surprised at the lack of comments about Missouri entering the SEC.  I know it's old news, but at least now it's official.

In my opinion, it's lame to put them in the east.  It looks just as silly as this Big East-Boise stuff.  People got leaned on by the Aladamnbama schools so that Auburn would not have to go to the east.  Good grief.  Can't somebody rise up to be a little more wise than the state of Alabama?  It doesn't take much.

Damn, they could play the stupid iron bowl every year regardless of division affiliation if they wanted to.

I think it was more about Bama/UT rivalry, but its still ghey. NTTAWWT.

"Your Death Therapy saved me, you genius"

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #359 on: November 07, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
I think it was more about Bama/UT rivalry, but its still ghey. NTTAWWT.

I don't get that rivalry myself, and I'm 6th generation deep, deep SEC.  They share a state line, but outside of the Fulmer: "Bama's cheating" flap, I don't see why they MUST play TN every year.  Slive and his asst CEOs need to know how to tell reps to shut up and color, or the conference turns into just another banana republic (heard that before?).

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #360 on: November 07, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
Someone posted in the lol miss thread that the permanent cross division rivals were changing, but I couldn't confirm that on the source, the gainsville sun. 

It's mentioned on this article the rumor that Arkansas was gonna switch over from USC-e to mizzou, but the article says it's not true. 

I would like to know what the schedule is gonna be next year.  Interesting that the talk centered around the SEC reimbursing the schools for the payback to the 1AA teams that SEC schools have already scheduled. 

You only have to be the best team today.

Offline Razordoc

• A Shoat
  • Boy, you look jus' like a hog.
« Reply #361 on: November 07, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
I would like to know what the schedule is gonna be next year.  Interesting that the talk centered around the SEC reimbursing the schools for the payback to the 1AA teams that SEC schools have already scheduled. 

I of course have no fricking clue but I know what I'd like to see happen.  It only makes sense to go to a nine game sec schedule (also, I'm not allowed within like 50 yards of any school).  Otherwise, there would be even more potential issues than there are now with a team from one division not facing the best from the other, as per UGA this year.  Also, USCe only had to play us, and we know how that turned out for them.

It would make sense to play all of your divisional teams, and still keep three each year from the other division.  Next year, vu rotates out and kenfucky is supposed to rotate in.  I'd sure as starkville like to see that delayed and us play missery the next two years.

"...we didn't come to paint.  We came to win the game".  "It's really a play we've worked ever since last year's game with LSU"  cBMFP, Nov. 27, 2010

TRAVELHOG

« Reply #362 on: November 07, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »
Charles Bloom, the SEC's PR guy, has denied that a nine-game schedule has even been discussed. Either Pastides got some seriously bad intel, or he seriously jumped the gun with this

:P

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #363 on: November 07, 2011, 11:35:44 PM »
I don't get that rivalry myself, and I'm 6th generation deep, deep SEC.  They share a state line, but outside of the Fulmer: "Bama's cheating" flap, I don't see why they MUST play TN every year.  Slive and his asst CEOs need to know how to tell reps to shut up and color, or the conference turns into just another banana republic (heard that before?).

What's not to get? I know the Vols have sucked balls for the last few years but they have won the 2nd most SEC titles and they have a long bitter rivalry with the Gumps.

An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline Razordoc

• A Shoat
  • Boy, you look jus' like a hog.
« Reply #364 on: November 08, 2011, 05:55:08 AM »
This per today's AR Dem-Gaz, and I saw it elsewhere as well:

"SEC associate commissioner Charles Bloom said Monday on his Twitter account that the SEC “will continue to play eight conference games in football. There has been no discussion on nine game schedule.”

Bloom confirmed later that his Tweet was accurate."

Dumber than aMm to me, but if indeed this is how it plays out, then who do we "drop" from next year's conference schedule?  aTm?  Just don't schedule kenfucky?  Since aTm now becomes a conference game, do we have to find (and pay) another cupcake, hurting our SOS?  Do we try and find a quality non-conference opponent on short notice (difficult), and lose a home game every other year?  Shirley more rational minds will prevail.

"...we didn't come to paint.  We came to win the game".  "It's really a play we've worked ever since last year's game with LSU"  cBMFP, Nov. 27, 2010

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
  • Port Tobacco carriage maker
« Reply #365 on: November 08, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »
This per today's AR Dem-Gaz, and I saw it elsewhere as well:

"SEC associate commissioner Charles Bloom said Monday on his Twitter account that the SEC “will continue to play eight conference games in football. There has been no discussion on nine game schedule.”

Bloom confirmed later that his Tweet was accurate."

Dumber than aMm to me, but if indeed this is how it plays out, then who do we "drop" from next year's conference schedule?  aTm?  Just don't schedule kenfucky?  Since aTm now becomes a conference game, do we have to find (and pay) another cupcake, hurting our SOS?  Do we try and find a quality non-conference opponent on short notice (difficult), and lose a home game every other year?  Shirley more rational minds will prevail.

I agree that an 8 game conference schedule is stupid with 14 teams.  That means teams will play one permanent and one rotating opponent.  So it will take 11 years to play every other team in the other division in the regular season.

As far as the nonconference opponents go, don't we have a TCU series that is scheduled to start up next year or the year after?  Not sure if they will still be a quality opponent by then though.

Offline bigfathog

• A Shoat
« Reply #366 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »

Mizzou being in the East id the best thing for Arkiesaw to happen.  All the gas stations, restaurants, and motel 6s along 40 and Southern Arkansas will get huge influxes of cash during the football season.  Should be a small boom for the poor lil state of Arkie.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • Boar
  • I sang "Hey Jude", as he died.....
« Reply #367 on: November 08, 2011, 09:44:27 AM »
Mizzou being in the East id the best thing for Arkiesaw to happen.  All the gas stations, restaurants, and motel 6s along 40 and Southern Arkansas will get huge influxes of cash during the football season.  Should be a small boom for the poor lil state of Arkie.

You realize that Missouri is north of Arkansas and not west...

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline bigfathog

• A Shoat
« Reply #368 on: November 08, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »

How do you get to Missouri from GA, FL, TN, BAma, AU, LSU, A&M.

I'll hang up and listen...

go  :suicide:

TRAVELHOG

« Reply #369 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »

He not good at teh geographies.

Offline hoggadore

• Insolent Pissant, Bescumberer.
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #370 on: November 08, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

Maybe not for the West schools, but for the East, through Kentucky.

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Tush Hog
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
« Reply #371 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »

If you drive through southern Arkansas to get to Columbia, MO from anywhere except Louisiana, far east Texas and far west Mississippi, you're a fucking moron.

I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #372 on: November 08, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »

I'm guessing since it's finally raining in Texas, that you had to come in from stump-breaking your heifers and to type some trash.

TRAVELHOG

« Reply #373 on: November 08, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »

You might need to look at a map there Hoss.

Seriously.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • An Unlikely Hero
« Reply #374 on: November 08, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
He's just an uneasy rider.

"Your Death Therapy saved me, you genius"