Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Penn State Child Molestation Scandal  (Read 242782 times)

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating
Re: Penn State Child Molestation Scandal
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
Nothing to laugh at. But I can't help it.   :maundoed:

I know.  It's really not.  It's a coping mechanisim.

We can rebuild him.

Offline MDEM

• Hater
  • Boar
  • Repulsive Degenerate
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »

Say what?  The only thing standing between Little Rock police kicking in doors in Fort Smith are jurisdictional issues. 

Isn't it just a matter of which cops are doing the door kicking, or did I misunderstand you?  Maybe I didn't understand the reason why every campus has its own police force.

Schools don't want city cops raiding dorms and classrooms.  They establish their own police force so as to create that jurisdictional buffer zone to protect their students.

Google "town vs. gown" and you'll see why they do this.

This is a high quality post.

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
I thought FPD had overlapping jurisdiction on the UA Campus, no?

We can rebuild him.

Offline efd840

• A Shoat
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
So, One Quarter and I were discussing the disappearance of the country prosecutor and his computer being found drowned in a lake/river.

Let me steer part of this discussion in my own twisted matter: If Penn State athletics are somehow implicated in the disappearance of a prosecutor (I know there are 10 steps between where we stand and this being established), what would you recommend as punishment?  You can't put the school in jail, though you can the perpetrator, but does the NCAA say "Lack of institutional control" and ban PSU from competition forever?  30 years?

I've moved past the culpability of people for the pedophilia; I'm onto the intriguing aMm now.

The final act in the disappearance of the prosecutor was probably truly a suicide.  According to Wiki, his older brother killed himself by jumping off a bridge.  Depending on who's study you consult, someone with a history of suicide in the family is 2 or 3 times more likely to take their own life than a member of the general population.

Assuming he did commit suicide, where the black helicopter stuff comes in is with his computer.   He not only wiped the drive he took the additional step of removing it from the machine before tossing both in the river.  I've had professional dealings with the company listed in the Wiki story (Kroll Ontrack).  If they couldn't recover the data, it can't be done.

Why all the trouble to destroy a laptop drive? 

He certainly knew Sandusky was a pedo.  He was almost certainly pressured (if not outright told) to drop the 1998 case.  It isn't unreasonable to think that he kept the files.

People everywhere are asking how those involved in the coverup could live with their inaction - maybe this guy couldn't.

Again, I don't think it fair to simply implicate Penn State Athletics.  It is about Penn State the institution. 

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2011, 12:42:54 PM »
Here's a timeline CBS has put together based on the indictment:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16049259/key-dates-in-penn-state-sex-abuse-case

A chronological look at the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, based on a grand jury report in Pennsylvania state court. Some key dates in Penn State football history are included. Sandusky has been charged with 40 criminal counts, accusing him of serial sex abuse of minors.

1969: Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career at Penn State University as a defensive line coach.

1977: Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.

January 1983: Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1982 season.

January 1987: Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1986 season.

1994: Boy known as Victim 7 in the report meets Sandusky through The Second Mile program at about the age of 10.

1994-95: Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.

1995-96: Boy known as Victim 5, meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is 7 or 8, in second or third grade.

1996-97: Boy known as Victim 4, at the age of 12 or 13, meets Sandusky while he is in his second year participating in The Second Mile program.

1996-98: Victim 5 is taken to the locker rooms and showers at Penn State by Sandusky when he is 8 to 10 years old.

Jan. 1, 1998: Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl.

1998: Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

June 1999: Sandusky retires from Penn State but still holds emeritus status.

Dec. 28, 1999: Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

Summer 2000: Boy known as Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.

Fall 2000: A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy -- known as Victim 8 -- pinned up against the wall and performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.

Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8's identity is unknown.

March 1, 2002: A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.

March 2, 2002: In the morning, the graduate assistant calls coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.

March 3, 2002: Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State athletic director, to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.

March 2002: Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.

March 27, 2002 (approximate): The graduate assistant hears from Curley. He is told that Sandusky's locker room keys are taken away and that the incident has been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in Grand Jury in December 2010.

2005-2006: Boy known as Victim 1 says that meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.

Spring 2007: During the 2007 track season, Sandusky begins spending time with Victim 1 weekly, having him stay overnight at his residence in College Township, Pa.

Spring 2008: Termination of contact with Victim 1 occurs when he is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy's mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from the school district attended by Victim 1 from that day forward and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.

Early 2009: An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa. teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.

September 2010: Sandusky retires from day-to-day involvement with The Second Mile, saying he wants to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.

Nov. 5, 2011: Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.

Nov. 7, 2011: Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refuses to say the same for university President Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz, who have stepped down from their positions, surrender on charges that they failed to alert police to complaints against Sandusky.

Nov. 8, 2011: Possible ninth victim of Sandusky contacts state police as calls for ouster of Paterno and Spanier grow in state and beyond. Penn State abruptly cancels Paterno's regular weekly press conference.

Nov. 9, 2011: Paterno announces he'll retire at the end of the season.

We can rebuild him.

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
The final act in the disappearance of the prosecutor was probably truly a suicide.  According to Wiki, his older brother killed himself by jumping off a bridge.  Depending on who's study you consult, someone with a history of suicide in the family is 2 or 3 times more likely to take their own life than a member of the general population.

Assuming he did commit suicide, where the black helicopter stuff comes in is with his computer.   He not only wiped the drive he took the additional step of removing it from the machine before tossing both in the river.  I've had professional dealings with the company listed in the Wiki story (Kroll Ontrack).  If they couldn't recover the data, it can't be done.

Why all the trouble to destroy a laptop drive? 

He certainly knew Sandusky was a pedo.  He was almost certainly pressured (if not outright told) to drop the 1998 case.  It isn't unreasonable to think that he kept the files.

People everywhere are asking how those involved in the coverup could live with their inaction - maybe this guy couldn't.

Again, I don't think it fair to simply implicate Penn State Athletics.  It is about Penn State the institution.

On the fourth anniversary of his disappearance, investigators revealed that a search of his home computer yielded a history of Internet searches for phrases like “how to wreck a hard drive,” according to a report at the time in The Centre Daily Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/questions-on-sandusky-wrapped-in-2005-gricar-mystery.html

Who knows if Gricar even typed the search or if it was later entered to make it look like he was trying to cover his tracks.

I'd also like to know who and how they found a way to keep all of this quite until JoePa became the winningest D1 coach (10/29/2011).

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• King of the Hogs
  • Call the Supernatural.
« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
The prosecutor could have been having second thoughts and was shown the door.

He could have also killed himself for any number of reasons. 

But, it's pretty odd not to find a suicide body, isn't it?

This is the worst of just rampant speculation, but I'm glad to see BD and Reaganite run with me on my conspiracy train.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »
I thought FPD had overlapping jurisdiction on the UA Campus, no?

no

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating
« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
The prosecutor could have been having second thoughts and was shown the door.

He could have also killed himself for any number of reasons. 

But, it's pretty odd not to find a suicide body, isn't it?

This is the worst of just rampant speculation, but I'm glad to see BD and Reaganite run with me on my conspiracy train.

Thing is, is that we don't know it was a suicide.  It's incredibly suspicious.  That whole institution strikes me as being run by a mafia family.  Just heard Rinaldi saying several members of the BoT up there are personal friends of the Joe, so there are doubts they can oust him until he's ready to go.

Like I said, the guy could have been paid to disappear (with enough $$$ you can do so comfortably and never be heard from again), Bumped off, or if he knew his coverup was going to be found out, doing himself off.

I know one thing, they're going to have hell getting families of recruits to feel comfortable about sending their kids to a place being called, "Horror Valley" until the whole place is cleaned out.  There were tweets yesterday from recruits saying they're going elsewhere now.

If they let Jo Pa stay it equals acceptance of his lack of action.  Who wants an assistant coach that watches something like that and doesn't at least TRY to stop it?  Who can respect that?  Who can respect an institiution that accepts Joe Pa not taking the time to pick up a frickin' phone and have the PD interview the GA?

Who would feel comfortable playing for a school that has a pep rally in front of his house and are more worried about a coach and a football game this weekend than a huge line of victims they have enabled?  8 year olds for God's sake.

I keep imagining the eyes of these poor kids.  The fear, the terror, the pain, the notion of being victimized by the pervert and then the machine that is Penn State.  You had thousands of students more worried about that old fucker last night than worried about what happened to those kids under the banner of their fuckking program.

Every fucker involved in the coverup or the moral crime of silence needs to go and burn in hell.  Until they make it to hell, they need to burn in the court of public opinion.

We can rebuild him.

Offline efd840

• A Shoat
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »

On the fourth anniversary of his disappearance, investigators revealed that a search of his home computer yielded a history of Internet searches for phrases like “how to wreck a hard drive,” according to a report at the time in The Centre Daily Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/questions-on-sandusky-wrapped-in-2005-gricar-mystery.html

Who knows if Gricar even typed the search or if it was later entered to make it look like he was trying to cover his tracks.

I'd also like to know who and how they found a way to keep all of this quite until JoePa became the winningest D1 coach (10/29/2011).

Absent video, nobody can tell WHO did the searches but the computer forensics examiner can tell WHEN they were done.

As far as keeping it quiet, I think the GJ simply got finished when they got finished.  The indictment alone is damning, and keep in mind it isn't everything they've got - just what needed to be presented to bring charges.  Given the people an politics involved, they had to dot every i and cross every t.  I appears they've done that quite well.

I'm not totally off the conspiracy train, I just think the most likely story is he did the act himself.  I also think the odds are good that what he knew and did not do about the PSU situation was probably one of if  not the the factors that put him in that place.

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating
« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2011, 01:36:44 PM »
Whoa.  Check this out from April of this year:

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-sandusky-a-state-secret/article_863d3c82-5e6f-11e0-9ae5-001a4bcf6878.html#user-comment-area

Madden: Sandusky a State secret

Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:55 pm | Updated: 4:34 pm, Mon Apr 4, 2011.

The Jerry Sandusky situation seems a matter of failure to connect certain dots, or perhaps unwillingness in that regard. Lots of people besides the former Penn State defensive coordinator have some explaining to do.

Allegations of improper conduct with an underage male first surfaced in 1998, while Sandusky was still employed by Penn State. That incident allegedly occurred in a shower at Penn State's on-campus football facility. No charges were filed.

Sandusky retired the next year, in 1999. He was 55, prime age for a coach. Odd, to say the least - especially with Joe Paterno thought even then to be ready to quit and Sandusky a likely, openly-discussed successor.

It seems logical to ask: What did Paterno know, and when did he know it? What did Penn State's administration know, and when did they know it?

Best-case scenario: Charges are never brought, and Sandusky walks away with his reputation permanently scarred. The rumors, the jokes, the sideways glances - they won't ever stop. Paterno and Penn State do the great escape.

Worst-case scenario: Sandusky is charged. Then it seems reasonable to wonder: Did Penn State not make an issue of Sandusky's alleged behavior in 1998 in exchange for him walking away from the program at an age premature for most coaches? Did Penn State's considerable influence help get Sandusky off the hook?

Don't kid yourself. That could happen. Don't underestimate the power of Paterno and Penn State in central Pennsylvania when it comes to politicians, the police and the media.
  In 1999, Penn State was rid of Sandusky. His rep was unblemished, which allowed him to continue running a charitable foundation that gave him access to underage males. To be a volunteer assistant with a high school football team, thus gaining access to underage males.

If Paterno and Penn State knew, but didn't act, instead facilitating Sandusky's untroubled retirement - are Paterno and Penn State responsible for untoward acts since committed by Sandusky?

This is far from an outrageous hypothesis, especially given the convenient timeline.

Initially accused in 1998. Retires in 1999. Never coaches college football again. Sandusky was very successful at what he did. The architect of Linebacker U. Helped win national championships in 1982 and 1986. Recognized as college football's top assistant in 1986 and 1999.

Never any stories about Sandusky being pursued for a high-profile job. Never any rumors about him coming out of retirement.

But there's no shortage of stories and rumors about Penn State football sweeping problems under the rug, is there?

Why did college football let an accomplished coach like Sandusky walk away at 55? Why did he disappear into relative anonymity?

A grand jury, spurred by a complaint made by a 15-year-old boy in 2009, has been investigating Sandusky for 18 months. Witnesses include Paterno and Penn State athletic director Tim Curley. Interviewing Paterno about a subject like this had to have been one of the single most uncomfortable acts in the history of jurisprudence.

Plenty of questions remain yet unanswered. Potentially among them: What's more important, Penn State football or the welfare of a few kids?

You might not want to hear the answer.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

Check out their stepford fan comments afterwards.

We can rebuild him.

Offline efd840

• A Shoat
« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2011, 01:45:09 PM »
What you've got highlighted is EXACTLY what happened. 

Edited to add: Looks like the Penn State president's gone now.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_president_graham_sp.html

They may let him coach Saturday because it is their last home game of the year but there's no way Paterno makes it past this weekend.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:56:11 PM by efd840 »

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating
« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
A therapist on Outside The Lines just made a really good point.  There will be many, many victims of Sandusky's that will NEVER come forward.  They would be in their 20's now.  Young men who have moved on with their lives and don't want the stigma of child rape being forever tied to them.

Very sad and just another reason that fucker and that program should burn.

We can rebuild him.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• King of the Hogs
  • Call the Supernatural.
« Reply #238 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »
I still think the State needs Victim 8 to come forward in order to tie a ribbon around the case and finish the job.  They can still get multiple convictions against Sandusky (and the perjury charges as well), but Victim 8 sets the timeline firmly, ties the named (and unnamed) criminal actors together, etc etc etc.

Victim 8 allows you to put pressure on all facets of the case and everyone involved; if you go from faceless child to a real, live person, that's where lines really start breaking rank.

The thing is, this is, as Reaganite said, going to be a cloud of stink that settles in Happy Valley for years as it is, and if it gets much deeper, starts to turn into a discussion of decades.  Hell, I feel for people walking away with a Penn State diploma in a few weeks who are going to get the "Soo..... where you stand on Paterno?" in their job interviews.

Offline Hogustus

• Tush Hog
  • ex-commissary clerk
« Reply #239 on: November 09, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »
They may let him coach Saturday because it is their last home game of the year but there's no way Paterno makes it past this weekend.

It would be unconscionable if they let Paterno ("JoePa" is a term of affection - time for anyone but apologists to stop using that) or McQuery coach this weekend.  I'm surprised the BoT didn't suspend them from their duties yesterday.  They've failed to ensure the safety of children they knew to be at risk when they saw this deviant with them at practices.  Neither should be allowed to coach at a school again.  Same for any other members of the PSU staff that were aware of the allegations and saw Sandusky still hanging out with kids.

Offline Splurge

• Resident Wooooo-pigger
  • King of the Hogs
  • My shoes cost more than your house
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
I still think the State needs Victim 8 to come forward in order to tie a ribbon around the case and finish the job.  They can still get multiple convictions against Sandusky (and the perjury charges as well), but Victim 8 sets the timeline firmly, ties the named (and unnamed) criminal actors together, etc etc etc.

Victim 8 allows you to put pressure on all facets of the case and everyone involved; if you go from faceless child to a real, live person, that's where lines really start breaking rank.

The thing is, this is, as Reaganite said, going to be a cloud of stink that settles in Happy Valley for years as it is, and if it gets much deeper, starts to turn into a discussion of decades.  Starkville, I feel for people walking away with a Penn State diploma in a few weeks who are going to get the "Soo..... where you stand on Paterno?" in their job interviews.

Not sure why this particular story is so different from any of the other countless scumbag stories I’ve seen/read over the years, but this one’s affecting me really hard for whatever reason.  Maybe because the facts are so public and so graphic.  Fucking horrible. Maybe its because its so damn bad and a major part of one of the biggest “genres” (Linebacker U) in my favorite classification of my favorite sport.  But, oh well, fuck it.  I’m a glutton for punishment, don't know shit about the legal aspects (that's why I read message boards with fellow assholes like you), so I dive in for more and ask questions to maybe use this as a learning exercise, too…

When you state that Victim 8 brings all of those (more?) credible factors to the case and essentially slams the door, why?  What would they bring that Victims 1-7 haven’t?  Are you meaning strictly from having a “live” person stand in front of the courtroom/camera and tell their story (I think you are)?  If so, would an anonymous or confidential 8th victim be as beneficial?  I ask in the instance that one of the countless other victims does as the therapists mention, they don’t want their lives publicly remembered by this and want to move on, but would still love to put the definitive nail in the coffin (you know they are dying to, both collectively and invidually).

Offline efd840

• A Shoat
« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
It would be unconscionable if they let Paterno ("JoePa" is a term of affection - time for anyone but apologists to stop using that) or McQuery coach this weekend.  I'm surprised the BoT didn't suspend them from their duties yesterday.  They've failed to ensure the safety of children they knew to be at risk when they saw this deviant with them at practices.  Neither should be allowed to coach at a school again.  Same for any other members of the PSU staff that were aware of the allegations and saw Sandusky still hanging out with kids.

Don't disagree at all, but they've already done quite a few unconscionable things and the cult of JoePa might be strong enough to hold on a few days longer.

Offline efd840

• A Shoat
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
When you state that Victim 8 brings all of those (more?) credible factors to the case and essentially slams the door, why?  What would they bring that Victims 1-7 haven’t?  Are you meaning strictly from having a “live” person stand in front of the courtroom/camera and tell their story (I think you are)?  If so, would an anonymous or confidential 8th victim be as beneficial?  I ask in the instance that one of the countless other victims does as the therapists mention, they don’t want their lives publicly remembered by this and want to move on, but would still love to put the definitive nail in the coffin (you know they are dying to, both collectively and invidually).

I don't think they need victim 8 to get a pile of convictions, but they'll need him to get all the charges related to victim 8.  Unlike the incident with the GA, the eyewitness to victim 8 has dementia and can't testify.  I'm not fully up on all the hearsay exceptions, but without either the witness to say "I saw him blowing a kid" or the victim to say "I'm the kid he was blowing", I think the prosecution will have a hard time getting the rest of the janitorial staff's corroborating statements admitted into evidence.

Offline Hogustus

• Tush Hog
  • ex-commissary clerk
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
Matt Millen weighs in:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7207952&categoryid=2564308
It'll be interesting to see if Matt Millen is allowed to stay with ESPN after all this.  He was on the 2nd Mile board and thus knew of the allegations back in 1998 and 2002.  The fact that Sandusky was allowed to continue to work for them after knowing about this is a major failure in leadership and oversight, the very things a board is supposed to provide.

Offline GolfingHog

• Boar
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »
Anybody that defends the administration at Penn State, along with McQuerry and Paterno, is supporting the cover up of CHILD RAPE. And the media that keeps reporting that Sandusky had "sex" with those boys....no, he ANALLY RAPED one in the showers of his former employer who still allowed him total access (no pun intended) for a decade after the first allegations surfaced.

Hey Paterno apologists: "He just did his job" is called The Nuremburg Defense, because its what Nazi Death Camp guards said at their trials.

They ALL need to go, and not at the end of the goddamn season, and not gracefully. The BoT is gathering a committee to do an investigation to decide what to do. What the fuck is there to decide? There are people STILL in charge at Penn State who actively participated in the cover-up of CHILD RAPE.

Fuck Penn State and fuck all of their band of narcissistic students, alumni, and shithead of a coach crying about their "legacy" and their "pride" being hurt.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »
...  Paterno was wrong, no doubt at all, but he's taking almost all of this on the chin while the rest are comparatively getting off light.

I must have missed the report of him being charged with a crime and/or terminated immediately.

Seems like compared at least to two people, he has thus far gotten off pretty light.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »
Anybody that defends the administration at Penn State, along with McQuerry and Paterno, is supporting the cover up of CHILD RAPE. And the media that keeps reporting that Sandusky had "sex" with those boys....no, he ANALLY RAPED one in the showers of his former employer who still allowed him total access (no pun intended) for a decade after the first allegations surfaced.

Hey Paterno apologists: "He just did his job" is called The Nuremburg Defense, because its what Nazi Death Camp guards said at their trials.

They ALL need to go, and not at the end of the gawd damn season, and not gracefully. The BoT is gathering a committee to do an investigation to decide what to do. What the frick is there to decide? There are people STILL in charge at Penn State who actively participated in the cover-up of CHILD RAPE.

frick Penn State and frick all of their band of narcissistic students, alumni, and shithead of a coach crying about their "legacy" and their "pride" being hurt.

This. 

Its the mentality that Joe Pa is above reproach that allowed multiple children to be raped for years at Penn State.

Joe Pa did nothing, so everybody else was satisfied.

Get rid of all of the bastards.  Now. 

I couldn't give two shits about Penn State before this, or after this.  But the way its playing out is a fine illustration of people without decency or rational priorities.

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
Gregg Doyle brought the wood:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16050982/as-you-read-this-paterno-era-at-penn-state-should-be-done

As you read this, Paterno Era at Penn State should be done
 By Gregg Doyel
CBSSports.com National Columnist

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- In hindsight, Joe Paterno is absolutely devastated. Those are his words today -- "absolutely devastated." And that's a start. It's a lot better than his actions Tuesday, when he was absolutely pleased to bask in the adulation of the Penn State students in his lawn.

If he had to do it all over again, Joe Paterno would have done more. Those also are his words -- "I wish I had done more." And that's a start. It's a lot more than he felt he should do in 2002, when he was told of an apparent sexual assault committed by former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky on a young boy within his football building. In 2002, Paterno didn't do very much. He literally did the legal minimum. He told his supervisor, and then he went on with his life.

As did Jerry Sandusky.

Nine years later, the count of Sandusky's alleged victims has reached nine. There are reports that it could hit 20 or more. Joe Paterno didn't do that, no. But he didn't stop it either. That's why he says "I wish I had done more." And that's why he's "absolutely devastated."

And that's why he can't coach this Saturday. Or next Saturday. Or ever again.

We don't need hindsight to know that this cannot happen one more time, even if it would be one last time. This is Penn State's home finale, and Paterno announced Wednesday that he will retire at the end of the season, but that's not good enough. That's not good at all.

Paterno cannot be cheered by more than 100,000 people, which is what would happen Saturday. He cannot be idolized for three more hours. He cannot be upheld as a hero, as a paragon of virtue, as everything that is right about Penn State.

Because he is none of those things. Not anymore.

Today, Joe Paterno is part of the problem, part of a cowardly system that looked the other way for nine years as an alleged pedophile was roaming State College. More than that -- Sandusky was using the Penn State football offices as one of his home bases.

You going to celebrate that, Penn State? And you, Penn State fans?

Are you?

Really?

No. This cannot happen, and a growing part of me thinks it won't. A few days ago, that didn't seem possible. Joe Paterno has called the shots for decades. He has been untouchable, refusing to retire when he hit 65, then 70, then 75, even as his program -- back when he was into his upper 70s -- was scuffling along in mediocrity. He's untouchable, and that seemed to extend even to these horrific circumstances when his supervisor, athletics director Tim Curley, and vice president Gary Schultz were indicted on charges of not acting on that alleged assault in 2002 ... but Paterno was not.

Untouchable, even now. Even after this. That's how it looked until Wednesday morning, when Paterno announced he was resigning after this season. But even in making that announcement -- when he noted that he was "absolutely devastated" and that "I wish I had done more" -- Paterno tried to call the shots. He tried to tell the Penn State Board of Trustees to leave him alone, to let him exit on his terms.

Paterno said, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

You catch the key line in there?

The Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status.

Because Paterno has already made that decision, see. He has always made the decisions regarding his football program, which could explain why his "bosses" didn't report Jerry Sandusky's alleged sexual assault in 2002 to police: If Paterno isn't reporting it to police, why would anyone else? It's his program, and Sandusky was his longtime assistant, and the alleged assault happened in his building. Paterno calls the shots. Subliminally, he called that one in 2002.

Which means someone else has to call this one, now. The Board of Trustees has been dared by Paterno to try -- just try -- to keep him from coaching Saturday. The Board of Trustees needs to call that bluff. The Board of Trustees needs to inform Paterno that he has served Penn State mostly well for 61 years, but that his one ethical lapse, perhaps his only ethical lapse, was of such a grievous nature that he cannot be allowed to lead this football team even once more.

In State College, Penn State students appear to fully support Paterno, missing the irony that the roughly 10-year-old kid in that alleged incident in 2002 would be a college student today. Maybe a Penn State student. Maybe that kid is a Penn State student. Nobody knows who he is, and if that's the way he wants it, I hope we never find out. His identity is his business, not ours.

But the irony is incredible. Penn State students have spent the past few days marching all over campus -- to Paterno's house, to the stadium and even to the campus nerve center, a beautiful building called Old Main. They have marched in support of Paterno. They believe he should coach this Saturday, and as long as he wants to coach. That's their position.

In less biased and more mature circles, the position is different. Paterno cannot coach Saturday, just as receivers coach Mike McQueary cannot coach Saturday, and PSU president Graham Spanier can't (and apparently won't) still be the school president Saturday, and the "on leave" AD, Tim Curley, shouldn't still have the make-believe option of returning to his office ever again. Anyone who knew about the allegations against Jerry Sandusky in 2002 -- a list that started with McQueary, who told Paterno, who told Curley -- cannot represent the school. Not in an official capacity.

Not ever again.

Paterno has thrown out his challenge:

The Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status.

And now I've thrown out mine:

Not one more day as head coach, BOT. Not for Joe Paterno. Call it a firing, call it a resignation, call it a retirement. Call it whatever you want.

But call it over.

We can rebuild him.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
Since I can, I am changing my opinion on the GA.  28 years old?  Jesus.  All of them should go down.

Offline Splurge

• Resident Wooooo-pigger
  • King of the Hogs
  • My shoes cost more than your house
« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
I still think Gregg Doyle is a douche canoe, but that is a great article.