Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register.

Author Topic: Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW - Windows 7 Compatibility?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline ManBearPig

• Science be praised!
  • Wild Hog
  • I'm the single biggest threat to our planet.
Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW - Windows 7 Compatibility?
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
This decent 20" Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW monitor (purchased several years ago) works really well when using my old laptop running XP, but it craps the fuck out when I connect it to my work laptop running Win 7.

Yeah, it'll connect, and it looks like it's ready for high-quality pron, but when I launch, say, IE or Outlook, the screen turns to static and blinks like a mother fucker.  The only way to "fix" this is to unplug the bastard, which obviously does no good.  It's a nice paper weight at that moment.

The Samsung site was visited, and the "latest" drivers downloaded, but nothing seen on their site indicates Win 7 compatibility for this particular model.

I googlemuthafucka'd the hell out of the problem, but all signs point back to the (seemingly) non-Win 7 compliant drivers.  Vista is the most recent OS that Samsung says is compatible with this monitor.

The monitor has both DVI and analog connections.  My preference is connecting via DVI cable; I freely admit to not yet trying the analog cable (not sure this would make a difference but no doubt going analog will likely solve the problem with my luck).  I've tried cloning the screen and I've also tried extended desktop (preferred setup).  Neither works for shit.

Anyone else perhaps run into a similar compatibility situation with this monitor, or perhaps another monitor?  Does this have anything to do with a resolution setting, or some other obscure setting?

Offline ManBearPig

• Science be praised!
  • Wild Hog
  • I'm the single biggest threat to our planet.
Re: Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW - Windows 7 Compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Solution: I changed the SyncMaster resolution from the maximum 1600x900 @ 60 Hz to 1440x900 @ 75Hz and now the damn thing works like a champ (albeit at a very slightly reduced resolution but with better refresh rate).

Apparently, Win7 doesn't recognize or support the highest resoultion for this make and model of monitor, which is puzzling to me.  :thumbdown: