Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Coaching Hot Seat & Changes  (Read 992360 times)

Online jdcatty

• Boar
Re: Coaching Hot Seat & Changes
« Reply #10375 on: December 16, 2021, 07:09:57 PM »
The criteria is successful.

That’s got to stick in Saban’s craw.  The only thing he has ever failed at.   You would think he would give it another shot. 

Damn Bobby Petrino!!!  What the Hell was he thinking?

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #10376 on: December 16, 2021, 07:29:45 PM »
Kingsbury and Pete Carroll at least had NFL experience

Wiki making the point that I was going to make:

Holtz's lone foray into the professional ranks began when he was appointed as head coach of the New York Jets on February 10, 1976. He was selected over Johnny Majors, Darryl Rogers, and Marv Levy.[8] Holtz resigned ten months later on December 9 with the Jets at 3–10 and one game remaining in the 1976 season.[6] Upon his departure, he lamented, "God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros."[9] Holtz's jump to the NFL as head coach for only thirteen games with a 3–10 record before returning to the college game with Arkansas would be duplicated eerily similarly by Bobby Petrino 31 years later in 2007; another 14 years after, his run would be matched in terms of length and broken in terms of record by Urban Meyer, fired by the Jacksonville Jaguars with a 2-11 record in 2021.[10]

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #10377 on: December 16, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »
Kingsbury and Pete Carroll at least had NFL experience

Wiki making the point that I was going to make:

Holtz's lone foray into the professional ranks began when he was appointed as head coach of the New York Jets on February 10, 1976. He was selected over Johnny Majors, Darryl Rogers, and Marv Levy.[8] Holtz resigned ten months later on December 9 with the Jets at 3–10 and one game remaining in the 1976 season.[6] Upon his departure, he lamented, "God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros."[9] Holtz's jump to the NFL as head coach for only thirteen games with a 3–10 record before returning to the college game with Arkansas would be duplicated eerily similarly by Bobby Petrino 31 years later in 2007; another 14 years after, his run would be matched in terms of length and broken in terms of record by Urban Meyer, fired by the Jacksonville Jaguars with a 2-11 record in 2021.[10]

Pro coaches, I think even more than college coaches, are fanatically devoted to the job. Dick Vermeil famously slept in the office. Andy Reid, as far as I remember, didn't even take a break when his kid died.

Urban just doesn't seem wired like that.  Like flying to Texas on a Friday night before a Saturday game, staying behind in Columbus to mash some young flesh, instead of travelling with the team and going over the next opponent on the way home says just the opposite.

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #10378 on: December 16, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »
recency effect

Bud Wilkinson set the standard 45 or 50 years ago.  Of course he wasn't unlikable like Meyer or Petrino but he was thoroughly incapable.  I can't remember the last college coach that did well in the NFL, gotta be one here or there, maybe somebody who you forget was ever a college coach.
Bud is a great example of a great college coach who sucked in the pros.  He left OU in 63, got talked into coaching St. Louis in 78.  Fired the next season, 9-20.

Petrino did choose to leave, although that was headed for a train wreck between BP, his woke players who were ignoring him, fucking Lying ass Arthur Fucking Blank.  It was awful mostly due to the Vick situation and the D’Angelo Hall crips, but the revisionists have made the story into a Sean Saulsbury ESPN Arthur Blank lie painting BP as a inept fool.  It’s why I go to Ace, not fucking Arthur blank Home depot.

Offline El Hogarado

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #10379 on: December 16, 2021, 09:37:31 PM »
Pro coaches, I think even more than college coaches, are fanatically devoted to the job. Dick Vermeil famously slept in the office. Andy Reid, as far as I remember, didn't even take a break when his kid died.

Urban just doesn't seem wired like that.  Like flying to Texas on a Friday night before a Saturday game, staying behind in Columbus to mash some young flesh, instead of travelling with the team and going over the next opponent on the way home says just the opposite.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1470547503380578307

Munny: Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Munny: We all got it comin', kid.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
  • There’s no girl exactly like her.
« Reply #10380 on: December 17, 2021, 06:30:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1470547503380578307

Bert could probably do that.   

Although his answer to every question would be, “I farted.”

“You didn’t choose me.  I chose you.”  - Sam Pittman

Offline Hogworth Ballington III

• Tush Hog
« Reply #10381 on: December 17, 2021, 07:16:37 AM »

Vermeil is an interesting one for this discussion. Has to be one of the only coaches to have started in HS, move to JC/community College, 4 year university, pros, back to college, pros, college, pros, college, and finally end his career back in the pros (3 different jobs over a 30 year span).

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10382 on: December 17, 2021, 07:22:01 AM »
I think the reason it was difficult for college coaches in the NFL is what Jimmy Johnson says. NFL players are paid babies. You can’t dictate anything to them like you can in college. I think NFL players sabotage teams if their feelings are hurt.

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
Coaching Hot Seat & Changes
« Reply #10383 on: December 17, 2021, 08:07:55 AM »
I think the reason it was difficult for college coaches in the NFL is what Jimmy Johnson says. NFL players are paid babies. You can’t dictate anything to them like you can in college. I think NFL players sabotage teams if their feelings are hurt.
And if you hear the players from the 90’s teams, they said the difference between Jimmy and Barry is that Barry treated them like “men”.  The Jimmy team was disciplined and won rings and was one of the best in league history.  The Barry team, after winning its ring, declined into thuggery, drugs, entitlement, and losing.  Because as “men” they lost their way.  Of course free agency impacted the team, as did the parade of coaches and coordinators.

Brady and others have said Bellichik delivers rings but there’s little fun in playing for him.  Arians is certainly a different personality than Bill.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 08:10:34 AM by TexZilla »

Offline lawtiger

• Loyal Citizen of Zamunda
  • King of the Hogs
  • Sexual Chocolate
« Reply #10384 on: December 17, 2021, 03:21:53 PM »
Bobby CHOSE to leave.  Urban was FIRED.  Huge difference.

Bobby also lost his QB1 while Urbs has his on a silver platter...just waiting to do something.

I'm gonna be bigger than Jesus
Bigger than wrestling
Bigger than the Beatles
And bigger than breast implants

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #10385 on: December 17, 2021, 09:44:14 PM »
Bobby also lost his QB1 while Urbs has his on a silver platter...just waiting to do something.
This is why Urban has displaced Bobby as the poster child for college coach to pro flameout.  Urban fucked up with all the juice, a wealth of draft picks, few expectations…and he fucked it all up.

Online papermill

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #10386 on: December 17, 2021, 09:48:36 PM »
harbaugh got the 9ers to the superbowl.  pete carroll won one - but he had previous nfl experience.

Thanks, I knew there was someone obvious probably but I have zoned out on it the last decade or so.

Harbaugh is the opposite of most, I forgot about his NFL stint.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #10387 on: December 18, 2021, 03:27:47 AM »
Sorry...but do you really have "hammer down" in your profile info? Look, we all have our little ties to famous people. I mean, I was the one who introduced Hugh Freeze to the wonders of backpage.com....and you don't hear me humblebragging about it.

Thanks for letting me know that.  I really haven't been on here much the last couple years, as I'm consumed with other interests now.  But yeah, I probably need to change that.  And yeah, everything I said was true.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
« Reply #10388 on: December 31, 2021, 06:32:13 PM »
interesting......... https://footballscoop.com/news/report-chip-kelly-no-guarantee-return-ucla

With the end of the season, Chip Kelly is now under contract only for 2022, but that's not all. As of today, his buyout is $9 million. As of Jan. 16, the number drops to zero.

does opting out at the last minute at the bowl game play into a change?

Hawaii HC's son at Hawaii hits the portal - https://footballscoop.com/news/todd-graham-son-14th-hawaii-player-transfer-portal

LSU: Jamar Cain will join the staff as defensive line coach and run game coordinator, according to multiple reports. The former Oklahoma outside linebackers coach had previously agreed to follow Lincoln Riley to USC.

Arkansas: The Buyout State

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #10389 on: January 03, 2022, 05:20:15 PM »
interesting......... https://footballscoop.com/news/report-chip-kelly-no-guarantee-return-ucla

With the end of the season, Chip Kelly is now under contract only for 2022, but that's not all. As of today, his buyout is $9 million. As of Jan. 16, the number drops to zero.

does opting out at the last minute at the bowl game play into a change?

Hawaii HC's son at Hawaii hits the portal - https://footballscoop.com/news/todd-graham-son-14th-hawaii-player-transfer-portal

LSU: Jamar Cain will join the staff as defensive line coach and run game coordinator, according to multiple reports. The former Oklahoma outside linebackers coach had previously agreed to follow Lincoln Riley to USC.

Fickell has to be leaving to go somewhere at some point.

He wouldn't show any interest before the playoff run concluded and if UCLA could pull that ace in the hole that would really get everyone out there excited (and give them a nice answer to USC getting Riley).

Offline CrocodileHunter

• Chairman Emeritus of the 102 Crew
  • Tush Hog
  • ^^^ El Capitan
« Reply #10390 on: January 03, 2022, 07:33:51 PM »
Jimbo is trying to hire DJ Durkin (the Ole Miss defensive coordinator). The Lane train could lose both coordinators this offseason.

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • K.Briles darksider #2.
« Reply #10391 on: January 04, 2022, 06:34:06 PM »
An insider A hogville poster says, The aroma coming from a couple folks in football operations is that Briles wants $1.750M and the first "swing for the fences" ask was around $2MM. Just the figures from my convo.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #10392 on: January 04, 2022, 07:31:21 PM »
An insider A hogville poster says, The aroma coming from a couple folks in football operations is that Briles wants $1.750M and the first "swing for the fences" ask was around $2MM. Just the figures from my convo.
I'll give him $50 just to tear that shitty halfback pass play out of the playbook.

Offline Feral

• Tush Hog
  • Ketchup is my steak sauce
« Reply #10393 on: January 04, 2022, 07:39:42 PM »
Porkatarian out…

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #10394 on: January 04, 2022, 08:28:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/1478545947546292226

I hear Kendall Briars is looking for a pay day

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline Feral

• Tush Hog
  • Ketchup is my steak sauce
« Reply #10395 on: January 04, 2022, 08:33:06 PM »
Jim Chaney ain’t walking through that door.

Seriously, he’s stuck. May have to take it off the hinges.

Online VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10396 on: January 04, 2022, 09:14:13 PM »
football scoop says lunney is in illinois to talk to bert.

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
« Reply #10397 on: January 04, 2022, 10:29:37 PM »
football scoop says lunney is in illinois to talk to bert.
Ooof, don’t do it Barry. UTSA is gonna be a better gig than losing with Bert.

Arkansas: The Buyout State

Offline Olive Branch Hog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #10398 on: January 05, 2022, 01:48:50 PM »
Porkatarian out…

Also...

Great post, Biggus!

Online Wooisme2

• A Shoat
« Reply #10399 on: January 05, 2022, 02:31:37 PM »
Ooof, don’t do it Barry. UTSA is gonna be a better gig than losing with Bert.

Heck, I think Lunney can play best friend to Drunk Bert as well as anyone else.  Some places strive for a top notch "cover corner", Illinois will search everywhere and pay well for a "cover coach".  UNCOMMON.

Arkansas didn't need the NCAA Death Penalty.  We had JEFF LONG.