Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Let's do a Robb Smith thread  (Read 34387 times)

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
Let's do a Robb Smith thread
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:46:39 PM »
I can't say I was wowed by the Smith hire.  I wasn't overly impressed but Bielema has been good at hiring assistants and figured he must be a schemer.

The improvement in our defensive play has been nothing short of incredible.  Our schemes and preparation against Tech, aTm, and Bama were really hard to find anything wrong with.  Our defense gave up plays late against aTm but I don't think it was scheme, it was giving too many opportunities to a team with elite receivers.

Clay Jennings has to be a big part of that.  Our DBs have never played this aggressively, swatting balls, being in position, not blowing assignments, etc.  This is the biggest turnaround in a position group I've seen in a year ever.  We had no LBs when we got here and Spaight and Ellis are both very solid and I think Shannon has done a solid job with the unit, especially given lack of depth.

Segrest was the hire I was most critical of.  Our DL dominated Bama's OL tonight.  They have been very hard to run on this season.  I feel a lot better about that hire now.

That said, I feel bad for the players and coaches.  They did well enough to win every game we've played except for Auburn.  The defense played more than well enough to win the last 2.

Offline Snortingred1

• Tush Hog
  • Slightly above average common sense...slightly.
Re: Let's do a Robb Smith thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
Amazing what he's doing with freshmen and sophomores.  Everyone is contributing.  Everyone is actually playing the schemes.  I couldn't be more impressed.
"What was it that Noam Chomsky said about BJ's?" -Zack Galifianakis

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »
He's definitely maximizing his talent. Outside of Philon who is probably out for the year, we've got no pure pass rusher. Flowers is more of a set the edge kind of guy. If Ellis is out a while and we shut down UGA I will definitely be a believer.
"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Online The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »
I'm drinking the kool aid.  He has this team playing like a team.  I don't look at them and automatically go "man, if only ______ _____ doesn't get us beat tonight"
There is some talent on This team, but coaching is obvious.
Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline Po Pimp

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:55:18 PM »
Agreed.  The improvement in defense has been remarkable.  Take away a couple of slips against the Aggies late and I have no problem with the way our D has played since Auburn.  I no longer shit my pants when the D takes the field, hell I actually look forward to it now.

If someone could teach the guys on defense to catch an interception that hits them in the hands then that would be great.  Other than that, no complaints.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:56:43 PM »
We need an OC. If you are gonna be a game manager type like CBB who doesn't specialize in anything, you need rock star coordinators. Our offensive staff outside of Pittman is god awful.

Offline Snortingred1

• Tush Hog
  • Slightly above average common sense...slightly.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 09:57:43 PM »
Agreed.  The improvement in defense has been remarkable.  Take away a couple of slips against the Aggies late and I have no problem with the way our D has played since Auburn.  I no longer shit my pants when the D takes the field, hell I actually look forward to it now.

If someone could teach the guys on defense to catch an interception that hits them in the hands then that would be great.  Other than that, no complaints.
If they could catch, they would be wr's, not db's.
"What was it that Noam Chomsky said about BJ's?" -Zack Galifianakis

Offline HoneyBakedPiglet

• aka Fireplace
  • King of the Hogs
  • #1-0
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
Per ESPN:

Alabama had seven 3-and-out drives Saturday against Arkansas, its most under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide had five total such drives in their first five games of the season.
Got some dawg in him.

Online Mike Slive

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
Per ESPN:

Alabama had seven 3-and-out drives Saturday against Arkansas, its most under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide had five total such drives in their first five games of the season.

I was going to start a new thread for Kiffin but I guess this will work. Does he keep his job after this year?

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:22:02 PM »
Per ESPN:

They do NOT like 3rd and long.  We kept getting in it over and over by hitting them for losses and no gains when they tried to run.

They had a great plan to contain Cooper.  2 catches for 22 yds.  He was doubled every time I saw him.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 10:24:48 PM »
They do NOT like 3rd and long.  We kept getting in it over and over by hitting them for losses and no gains when they tried to run.

They had a great plan to contain Cooper.  2 catches for 22 yds.  He was doubled every time I saw him.
We basically had two guys lined up within 5 yards of him. Never seen anything like it. Toliver would be presse tight then turner would be shaded inside about five yards behind him. We probably gave the rest of the west the blue print. With Moo U's DL I think they'll beat the fuck out of them.

Online Show-Me Hog

• King of the Hogs
  • Yep
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
We probably gave the rest of the west the blue print.

So now we've given blueprints for both A&M and Bama.  Except, the last portion of the blueprint is never drawn.  A 75% blueprint.

Offline Hogustus

• Tush Hog
  • ex-commissary clerk
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 10:32:48 PM »
If they could catch, they would be wr's, not db's.
So our WRs are really just DBs playing wideout?

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »
So our WRs are really just DBs playing wideout?

How many drops do we have? 

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 12:06:49 AM »
He's definitely maximizing his talent. Outside of Philon who is probably out for the year, we've got no pure pass rusher. Flowers is more of a set the edge kind of guy. If Ellis is out a while and we shut down UGA I will definitely be a believer.

Not sure about setting the edge, but Flowers is on pace for an All-American type year.

The biggest improvement I've seen in our defense is corners who can tackle.  That's why Bama is always so good, and it's made a huge difference in the defense.

And I hear a lot about "schemes", but Ellis said this week the main reason the defense is playing better is Smith took away almost all the schemes.  Very simplified defense.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 12:10:12 AM »
Not sure about setting the edge, but Flowers is on pace for an All-American type year.

The biggest improvement I've seen in our defense is corners who can tackle.  That's why Bama is always so good, and it's made a huge difference in the defense.

And I hear a lot about "schemes", but Ellis said this week the main reason the defense is playing better is Smith took away almost all the schemes.  Very simplified defense.

I know that dropping back 9 into coverage against Tech was genius and rattled the hell out of their QB.

Our scheme to stop Bama tonight, to commit to the run and double Cooper, was likewise pretty brilliant.

Maybe "scheme" isn't the right term and "gameplan" is more appropriate but we seem to have a plan on how to attack our opponents' strengths and it's working.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 02:02:32 AM »
I know that dropping back 9 into coverage against Tech was genius and rattled the Starkville out of their QB.

Our scheme to stop Bama tonight, to commit to the run and double Cooper, was likewise pretty brilliant.

Maybe "scheme" isn't the right term and "gameplan" is more appropriate but we seem to have a plan on how to attack our opponents' strengths and it's working.

Scheme or gameplan, our defense played a rock solid game tonight. Best defensive game in my memory against a top flight team.

Online Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
We need an OC. If you are gonna be a game manager type like CBB who doesn't specialize in anything, you need rock star coordinators. Our offensive staff outside of Pittman is god awful.

Wrong thread fuck stick.
There's only one Razorback, Chuck

Offline BlackHawgDown

• A Shoat
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
I can't say I was wowed by the Smith hire.  I wasn't overly impressed but Bielema has been good at hiring assistants and figured he must be a schemer.

The improvement in our defensive play has been nothing short of incredible.  Our schemes and preparation against Tech, aTm, and Bama were really hard to find anything wrong with.  Our defense gave up plays late against aTm but I don't think it was scheme, it was giving too many opportunities to a team with elite receivers.

Clay Jennings has to be a big part of that.  Our DBs have never played this aggressively, swatting balls, being in position, not blowing assignments, etc.  This is the biggest turnaround in a position group I've seen in a year ever.  We had no LBs when we got here and Spaight and Ellis are both very solid and I think Shannon has done a solid job with the unit, especially given lack of depth.

Segrest was the hire I was most critical of.  Our DL dominated Bama's OL tonight.  They have been very hard to run on this season.  I feel a lot better about that hire now.

That said, I feel bad for the players and coaches.  They did well enough to win every game we've played except for Auburn.  The defense played more than well enough to win the last 2.

Smith is the only reason we haven't been blown out the past two games

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 01:17:02 PM »
Smith is the only reason we haven't been blown out the past two games

It's nice that the DC gets all of this credit because his players executed his game plan well and/or avoided costly mistakes (for the most part).  But the OC/HC?  They've "put the players in a position to win, it's on the players from then on." So basically, all of the credit and none of the blame.  i know people don't REALLY feel this way, but we definitely need to improve the talent of our offensive coaching staff.  Chaney and Smith, for sure, are 2 guys that haven't gotten enough results with their position played.

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
The last time I saw the defense for The Hogs come as close to how they've been playing was BP's last bowl game at Arkansas.
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline razor9

• A Shoat
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »

:worship:
“EPO all in my veins; Lately things just don’t seem the same; Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why; ’Scuse me while I pass this guy.”

David Zabriskie

Online Show-Me Hog

• King of the Hogs
  • Yep
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

Story?

Once upon a time, big fat titties, and they all lived happily ever after.

The End
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »
Once upon a time, big fat titties, and they all lived happily ever after.

The End
Why do we have the greatest fanbase in college football? Who cares why, because big fat titties. Like the man said.
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 37 queries.