Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 147th Belmont Stakes  (Read 13424 times)

Offline Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
Re: 147th Belmont Stakes
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 06:41:41 PM »
I'm WPS on Keen Ice. Exacta box AP, Frosted, Keen Ice.
Holy shit, well done.  We need a report.  I'll be looking in the drunk thread.

"Cause I just came here trying to be real. . .be as genuine as possible. . .and you know real recognize real."

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
Great race.  AP is a hell of an athlete. 

5 1/2 lengths running a 1.5 mile race, running aggressive the whole race.  Horses like this know their job and live to run and win.  I marvel at them.

Secretariat was the greatest athlete that ever lived in my opinion.  No one has dominated their sport like Big Red did; he was like Jim Brown.  He crushed the field and looked like he wasn't breaking a sweat.

Offline WPFM

• Schadenfreude
  • King of the Hogs
  • no artificial sweeteners
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
Great race.  AP is a hell of an athlete. 

5 1/2 lengths running a 1.5 mile race, running aggressive the whole race.  Horses like this know their job and live to run and win.  I marvel at them.

Secretariat was the greatest athlete that ever lived in my opinion.  No one has dominated their sport like Big Red did; he was like Jim Brown.  He crushed the field and looked like he wasn't breaking a sweat.

Agreed. Congrats to AP - well done and long overdue, and not to steal his moment, but this never gets old:

Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline hogoffate

• Wild Hog
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
Oaklawn has a video on their shared out on Facebook showing the excitement there during the race;  with all that excitement, it was tame compared to Lone Star Park today; it was loud and long; it was wild.  Goosebumps for sure.
Lost $40 on the day but it would have been a total failure monetarily except for the $16 exacta of AP/Frosted.

Hope all did well on the day.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 07:54:33 PM »
First Quadruple Crown winner.

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
Agreed. Congrats to AP - well done and long overdue, and not to steal his moment, but this never gets old:

Seconded. I get chills every time I watch that.

Offline capnthog

• Poorly qualified to represent the LBC.
  • Boar
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
Secritariat would have beaten AP by 15 lengths today according the stopwatch.

Eat me.

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »

I was wondering about that.  If they were running together would Secretariat drag him along to a better time or would he completely wear him out like he did Sham?

I don't know anything about horses.

Offline Po Pimp

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »

Damn beast would have lapped the field if the race had been another turn longer.

Offline Vito Porkleone

• Director of Golf
  • Boar
  • Next one's coming faster.
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2015, 08:40:54 PM »

And AP would have been 15 in front of Seattle Slew.

The first thing we're gonna do is we're gonna acknowledge that this guy is awesome.  I mean he shoots Theo Tonin;  fakes his own death in a spectacular fashion;  pushes a guy out of an airplane while he's flyin' it;  parachutes into Harlan County with enough coke and cash to jumpstart the economy of a small country;  then he has the balls to get a job in law enforcement - not once but two times;  he spends a couple days ridin' around with you - while you're lookin' for him;  and now he's run off with a hooker that's half his age.  That's some badass shit.

Offline jhawg05

• The Original Porksta
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »
Im no horse racing expert but didn't they used to pump those horses full of PED's?

Offline jhawg05

• The Original Porksta
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »
Im no horse racing expert but didn't they used to pump those horses full of PED's?
Google seems to think it's still common.  Same playing field and all.

Offline clintcommander

• Take it easy... and if its easy, take it twice!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 09:56:18 PM »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:58:56 PM by clintcommander »
Once upon a time, big fat titties, and they all lived happily ever after.
The End

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
This. What did it pay?
It didn't pay anything. I needed Frosted or Keen Ice to win to really make a score. The exacta was $13.60 for $2 and it costs $12 to box 3 horses. I ended up only playing Keen Ice Win/Show and he paid $4.60 to show so once again a minimal profit.

That said I'm happy that I took a shot at a big payout with Frosted/Keen Ice, didn't get it but still scratched out a small win yet also feel validated in my picks.

Personally, I was indifferent to seeing a TC but now at least I can say I saw him run live at OP. That'll be COOL STORY BRO as the years go by.

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline Boared Cynic

• Should RMPL
  • Boar
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
I don't know anything really about horse racing, but it looked easy for AP. Unlike the other horses, his jockey didn't whip him until it was almost the end just for good measure.

Offline jeb stuart

• Tush Hog
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2015, 10:45:35 PM »

Lasix? Yes. It simply allows them to pass excess water and take in more oxygen in their lunges.

Offline One Quarter

• SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
  • King of the Hogs
  • I LIKE WHAT YOU GOT
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2015, 10:49:46 PM »
I did an exacta box with AP and Frosted.  Yay $40!

Offline pigtacular

• King of the Hogs
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »
Seconded. I get chills every time I watch that.

Same here.  I don't give a rip about horse racing, but that is absolutely astounding.  As if it were a bunch of horses up against a higher life form.

David St. Hubbins: We say, "Love your brother." We don't say it really, but...
Nigel:We don't literally say it.
David St. Hubbins: No, we don't say it.
Nigel: We don't really, literally mean it.

Offline GeoHogsGeo

• Str8 Gansta
  • Boar
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 01:13:33 AM »

I'm too young to remember this.  For the exception of relatives talking about it and seeing after-the-fact, it is the most amazing sports feat I've ever seen.  Having said that, watching today's Belmont in a bar and seeing it before my eyes was something to behold.  A Triple Crown....amazing.

Offline hogfan58

• Nothing that's out there that's not correctable - Bert
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2015, 06:29:12 AM »
Watch the 30 for 30 on Secretariat, it's awesome. One thing that I never knew until I watched it was that in the Belmont, he ran each 1/4 mile faster than the previous one. That is just insane for that distance.

"Florida is kind of the new Ole Miss. They're doing some things in recruiting that kind of shock you a little bit" ~~ Bret Bielema, NSD 2016

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • The sweetest nectar
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »
Watch the 30 for 30 on Secretariat, it's awesome. One thing that I never knew until I watched it was that in the Belmont, he ran each 1/4 mile faster than the previous one. That is just insane for that distance.

It was in the Kentucky Derby that his quarter-mile splits were successively faster.

He ran the first 3/4 mile in the Belmont in 1:09 4/5.  His total was 2:24 for the mile-and-half, so it couldn't have happened there. 

Offline hogfan58

• Nothing that's out there that's not correctable - Bert
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2015, 07:16:08 AM »
It was in the Kentucky Derby that his quarter-mile splits were successively faster.

He ran the first 3/4 mile in the Belmont in 1:09 4/5.  His total was 2:24 for the mile-and-half, so it couldn't have happened there.

Yep, you're right. My bad. Still impressive.

"Florida is kind of the new Ole Miss. They're doing some things in recruiting that kind of shock you a little bit" ~~ Bret Bielema, NSD 2016

Offline WPFM

• Schadenfreude
  • King of the Hogs
  • no artificial sweeteners
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
Yep, you're right. My bad. Still impressive.

Agreed.

In that Secretariat YouTube clip, jump to about 2:30 and focus on the camera angle. The camera shot gets stationary and fixed on the finish line as Secretariat blows through it, stays paused there a moment on a shot of the empty finish line, then has to pan the camera left back up the field in order to find more action to fill the shot as the rest of the horses finally come in.

Insane.

Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2015, 08:51:04 AM »
Agreed.

In that Secretariat YouTube clip, jump to about 2:30 and focus on the camera angle. The camera shot gets stationary and fixed on the finish line as Secretariat blows through it, stays paused there a moment on a shot of the empty finish line, then has to pan the camera left back up the field in order to find more action to fill the shot as the rest of the horses finally come in.

Insane.
Secretrait woulda beat AP yesterday by 12 or 13 lengths.  :maundoed:

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »
I am not sure that comparing times from different races with different track conditions and different competitors is an accurate comparison.  The goal is to win the race, and the jockey should control the horse accordingly.  Now if the horses were being judged merely on their times, it would be a different situation.