Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Redskins lose their trademark  (Read 15387 times)

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Redskins lose their trademark
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2015, 12:29:37 PM »
I still think the Washington Bullets basketball team name was spot on for the district.

Well, they were trying to disassociate the team from the violence.  So, actually, they should have kept "Bullets" and changed "Washington."
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
You people make me laugh. Just because you're not offended by a racial slur directed towards people of your race does not lessen the word's meaning or message. I'd guess most here have never had any experience with said slurs directed towards them. And I don't buy the whole argument that nigga and better man than me are seperate therefor it's ok for one race to use it and anyone else is racist. It's nothing more than hypocrisy running rampant.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
NWA.  Not sure what living in Northwest Arkansas has to do with this.  :stache:

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »
If you truly believe this line of reasoning, you will feel perfectly comfortable approaching the next group of AA strangers you encounter and enquire, "How you ni**as doin'?" Be sure and let me know how that works out.

And you can't have any police around when you do this.
This post brought to you by Petit Jean Meats. Taste the difference!

Offline Joe Swine

• Brass it out, Danny!
  • King of the Hogs
  • I don't want my feelings restrained
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2015, 12:46:24 PM »
Rex Kramer:  Danger Seeker.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2015, 12:54:12 PM »
You people make me laugh. Just because you're not offended by a racial slur directed towards people of your race does not lessen the word's meaning or message. I'd guess most here have never had any experience with said slurs directed towards them. And I don't buy the whole argument that nigga and people are seperate therefor it's ok for one race to use it and anyone else is racist. It's nothing more than hypocrisy running rampant.

What do you mean "you people"?
Homies help homies.  Always.

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
Can Obama use the term nigga?  Just curious how 'black' you have to be for it to be acceptable.  50%, 75%, 25%.  Just making sure where the actual cutoff is.  Many of us have a varied ethnic background and just making sure what percentage, going forward, we need to have to be offended by things...
Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »
If you truly believe this line of reasoning, you will feel perfectly comfortable approaching the next group of AA strangers you encounter and enquire, "How you ni**as doin'?" Be sure and let me know how that works out.

Why do you care if black people use it with each other or not?
I really hope Hillary can run in 2016 and wins

Offline Sweet River Baines

• Boar
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2015, 03:20:23 PM »

The majority of white people think, "If they can call each other that, why can't I call them that? It's not fair."
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 4:11 Posi-trac out back, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fuckin' muscle.

Offline FNG

• Boar
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
For the same reason that I care if [insert race here] people use it with each other.

Online Hogustus

• Tush Hog
  • ex-commissary clerk
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
I don't really care, but I do enjoy the sweet irony of being told that it is racist if I say it, based solely on my race.

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »

And no, if a business is promoting disparaging and offensive things front and center... it needs to meet some sort of public oversight.

I would be shocked by the authoritarian/anti-1st-Amendment tone of this, but then I remember how many people in this country  (nearly all of them) want to restrict the speech rights of people they don't like or agree with, and realize this is just the reality I unfortunately inhabit.
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline BigDavis

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »
I'm perfectly aware of what NWA stands for (and I'll excuse your arrogance because I was once young and knew everything, too) but you're trotting out a tired old justification, BD. If you truly believe this line of reasoning, you will feel perfectly comfortable approaching the next group of AA strangers you encounter and enquire, "How you ni**as doin'?" Be sure and let me know how that works out.

The same thing would happen if Kat Williams walked up to a bunch of black people and said "What's up Ni**ers"

Offline BigDavis

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
TO bring the discussion back to where it belongs. If the NFL team in Washington DC was started by or owned by a Native American tribe this might be a totally different discussion. But it's not. It's owned by white people. So fuck you for being OK with a team using a racial slur as their mascot.

Offline bakervscarrr

• puts honey on his pizza
  • Site Moderator
  • Boar
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2015, 04:04:06 PM »

I don't really care, but I do enjoy the sweet irony of being told that it is racist if I say it, based solely on my race.

I don't really think it's irony. I don't even really think it's hypocrisy.

Context matters. Words mean different things depending upon the speaker and their subject.

White people know that black people don't like us using the n-word. We know why. There is virtually zero room to make my kind of an ignorance argument in this day and age. Knowing that, it's pretty easy for me to figure out the context when I hear another white person choose to use that word.

The only gray area I've ever encountered has been when a white person wishes to use the "gga" variant in quoting a movie or comedian. Among all whites , you probably let it fly, when if you're around a black person, you may not know what to say.

When I worked in a restaurant, this happened all the time. I've seen the white guy go ahead and say it and the black friend laugh. I've seen the white person say it and the black friend respectfully say that it wasn't cool. And I've seen the white person stumble and hesitate and the black friend tell them "it's okay to say it like that around ME, but you don't want to just go saying it around whoever."

Offline Phat_Hawg

• I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
TO bring the discussion back to where it belongs. If the NFL team in Washington DC was started by or owned by a Native American tribe this might be a totally different discussion. But it's not. It's owned by white people. So fuck you for being OK with a team using a racial slur as their mascot.

I do well enough to police myself much less anyone else so yeah I pretty much don't care if they keep using the Redskins mascot.  I think they probably shouldn't but it doesn't rise to the level of what I would call "caring". 
Homies help homies.  Always.

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »

I would be shocked by the authoritarian/anti-1st-Amendment tone of this, but then I remember how many people in this country  (nearly all of them) want to restrict the speech rights of people they don't like or agree with, and realize this is just the reality I unfortunately inhabit.

Most people think the right to be perpetually un-offended is in the Constitution and you are violating their rights if they are offended.  No shit, liberals really seem to believe that shit
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
Ever wondered what it was like to be Andrew Jackson?  Wipe your ass with a Redskin and find out today!

:maundoed:

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
For the same reason that I care if [insert race here] people use it with each other.
You're not the one affected by it on a personal level, though?
I'm just trying to really figure out this logic, because it's a line I've heard so many times, but it always comes down to some form of leveling fairness down on everyone.

It's a known offensive slur.
Don't use it.

Even if members of the offended race use it with each other?
Still don't use it.

It's your use of it that offends, because of a long, disgusting historical significance. Not theirs.
How is it hard to understand? It's not your fault. Nobody is blaming you for it. Just understand it's affect on others, don't use it and move on.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »

I'm not advocating the government forcing them to change it.
I'm not infringing on anyone's speech here.

I just don't have one damn problem with them eventually losing their trademark because of their defiant use of a racial slur as a mascot for a shitty football team.

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »

I'm not advocating the government forcing them to change it.
I'm not infringing on anyone's speech here.

I just don't have one damn problem with them eventually losing their trademark because of their defiant use of a racial slur as a mascot for a shitty football team.

Just like the local clerk should not exercise through their office their personal opinion about which consenting adult can marry which consenting adult, the trademark office and the judiciary should not exercise through their offices their opinion about what name a team wants to trademark. Your right to contract is not at the whim of whatever is currently considered offensive and profane to society. Following this simple concept would have saved us a lot of trouble over the last few hundred years.. 

Sure, one is a declaration of love and trust and loyalty, and the other is pretty fucking obviously a racial slur.  It's still not the business of the people that you and I pay money to -to do things for us at the threat of violence - to decide which speech is OK and which is not.

Either way, fuck the Washington Redskins. I do think it's incredibly dickheadish of them to still have that name at this point in time.
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline Joe Swine

• Brass it out, Danny!
  • King of the Hogs
  • I don't want my feelings restrained
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
Just like the local clerk should not exercise through their office their personal opinion about which consenting adult can marry which consenting adult, the trademark office and the judiciary should not exercise through their offices their opinion about what name a team wants to trademark. Your right to contract is not at the whim of whatever is currently considered offensive and profane to society. Following this simple concept would have saved us a lot of trouble over the last few hundred years.. 

Sure, one is a declaration of love and trust and loyalty, and the other is pretty fucking obviously a racial slur.  It's still not the business of the people that you and I pay money to -to do things for us at the threat of violence - to decide which speech is OK and which is not.

Either way, fuck the Washington Redskins. I do think it's incredibly dickheadish of them to still have that name at this point in time.

And they lived happily ever after.  The end.   :beer:

Offline SunshineSweaterman

• Boar
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2015, 07:31:54 PM »
Most people think the right to be perpetually un-offended is in the Constitution and you are violating their rights if they are offended.  No shit, liberals really seem to believe that shit

Kinda like how you and you ilk get your panties in a wad at the slightest chance you might not be able to open carry your bazooka into In and Out.  Also, similar to conservatives I know who get angry enough to threaten, demean, and socially abuse women who go to planned parenthood in Fayetteville or the abortion clinic.  Yep.  Conservatives never anger and are totally rational upstanding citizens.  They'd never get pissed off they can't wave their racist flags or burn their crosses for freedom of speech. 

And, oh yeah, you are so rational that you wouldn't derail a sports thread with piling on more P&R topics.

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »
You so dumb.  Your mom shouldn't have let you drip out of her ass and ooze into her cooze.  Catch the drip, avoid giving birth to a dip...shit.

Why you so upset and outraged?  Calm your outrage

Offline MDEM

• Hater
  • Boar
  • Repulsive Degenerate
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 08:01:44 PM »
How do the assholes who dream up all these offenses keep up with it?

I don't know.  How do you keep up with all the shit that offends you?
This is a high quality post.

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 38 queries.