Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register.

Author Topic: House/Roof Leak  (Read 6870 times)

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
  • Puts Carts Where They Go
House/Roof Leak
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »
I have a (now) small leak in one of my dormers. My builder and I have sealed everything with silicone and even got a local "expert", but the leak isn't completely sealed. Where could I find a real expert on this? Roof leak guys don't want to mess with it. I am thinking maybe someone that has some fiber optics or something to find it.

Thanks in advance.

This is going to be a great 4 years and possibly 8.  The amount of butthurt from the left is already at glorious levels.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
Re: House/Roof Leak
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »
May be no such thing as an expert on this...
You have pictures?
How old is the roof?

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »
Usually ends up being shitty roofing job or poor design. Or both.

• King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
Usually ends up being shitty roofing job or poor design. Or both.

All that.
Also, improperly flashed or not at all, and the valley and valley tie-ins could be poorly done.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
May be no such thing as an expert on this...
You have pictures?
How old is the roof?
It's actually around the dormer window. I can see water on some boards in the attic just below the window but it is too small to look into. Maybe a fiber optic scope could see it. Maybe I'll try my bike helmet rear-view mirror. I'll try to post a picture of the wet attic board. Y'all are some good dudes.

This is going to be a great 4 years and possibly 8.  The amount of butthurt from the left is already at glorious levels.

• King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
I know this sounds crazy, but they have those remote fiber cameras at Home Depot, and they aren't very expensive....and I know this is a do-dirty kinda deal, but I hate Author Blank anyway, so go get one, use it, and return that fucker.    :evil:

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »
I know this sounds crazy, but they have those remote fiber cameras at Home Depot, and they aren't very expensive....and I know this is a do-dirty kinda deal, but I hate Author Blank anyway, so go get one, use it, and return that fucker.    :evil:

I like the way you think.

Seriously, that's a great idea. Arthur Blank is a Home Despot.

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »
Flex seal bitches

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »
Flex seal bitches

Flex Seal on the outside? Do they have a clear version? not sure if serious.

Offline asshat

• not just any asshat
  • Boar
  • Hates all things Auburn
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 05:48:53 AM »
Flex Seal on the outside? Do they have a clear version? not sure if serious.
Yes they have a clear version. Works fine if you can find the right spot to apply.

this was a result of firing an ad, and letting the fat cats chase a pipe dream that was a coach who was never coming to arkansas. then when that played out, to let the richest guy in the room make the decision.

• King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »
That's the problem, finding where it is actually leaking.  Since water flows downhill, it could be anywhere uphill from where you are seeing it.  The leak is almost never where you see the water.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
Yes they have a clear version. Works fine if you can find the right spot to apply.

If I want to use that and coat the entire cement casing around the window with a cement/stone sealant, should I apply the flex seal first to the suspected area and then the other sealant? Where can I get flex seal besides TV? Have you given up any of your asshattery?

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »

Camera and bike helmet mirror were an abysmal failure. I will try to get the fiber thing today and report back, Rev.
:thumbup:

Offline asshat

• not just any asshat
  • Boar
  • Hates all things Auburn
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
Where can I get flex seal besides TV?
Walmart
Have you given up any of your asshattery?
Not a chance, a man has to play to his strengths.

this was a result of firing an ad, and letting the fat cats chase a pipe dream that was a coach who was never coming to arkansas. then when that played out, to let the richest guy in the room make the decision.

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
WalmartNot a chance, a man has to play to his strengths.

Thanks. I wish my house didn't hate me.

• King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
Home Depot has it also. 
The flex seal should be applied over any suspected leak inlet, from the outside..  It will seal shit up tighter than a duck's asshole.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline Vito Porkleone

• Director of Golf
  • Boar
  • Next one's coming faster.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05:38 PM »
Do you have siding or brick around the window?  If you have siding, you can remove a few panels around the window and check your window installation.  I have seen a shit-ton of builders fail to seal/tape around the windows (foil tape sealing the window/housewrap junction.  Wind can blow water to places you would never believe.  Several of my neighbors have had the same issue. 

The first thing we're gonna do is we're gonna acknowledge that this guy is awesome.  I mean he shoots Theo Tonin;  fakes his own death in a spectacular fashion;  pushes a guy out of an airplane while he's flyin' it;  parachutes into Harlan County with enough coke and cash to jumpstart the economy of a small country;  then he has the balls to get a job in law enforcement - not once but two times;  he spends a couple days ridin' around with you - while you're lookin' for him;  and now he's run off with a hooker that's half his age.  That's some badass shit.

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 03:06:11 PM »
Do you have siding or brick around the window?  If you have siding, you can remove a few panels around the window and check your window installation.  I have seen a shit-ton of builders fail to seal/tape around the windows (foil tape sealing the window/housewrap junction.  Wind can blow water to places you would never believe.  Several of my neighbors have had the same issue.

It is a brick dormer with a cement casing around the window. I sprayed the shit out of that lower left corner around the window where the leak is with flex seal like the rev snoophog said to do. It rained last night and the boards inside my attic are dry as a bone. Hope it stays that way, we have some strong rain coming this weekend I think. I will give a report soon. Crossing my fingers, thanks for y'all's help!

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »
Dear Reverend Snoophogg,

We had a SEVERE thunderstorm today with the wind at about 40 mph aimed straight at that window. The inside boards are dry as a bone! There's a little water in the pan below the boards but I think it was left over from the rain prior to the flex seal. I emptied the pan and will know for sure after the next rain. I have about 90% confidence the leak is fixed. Thanks to all that offered advice!

Sincerely,

H8

• King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »
Dear Reverend Snoophogg,

We had a SEVERE thunderstorm today with the wind at about 40 mph aimed straight at that window. The inside boards are dry as a bone! There's a little water in the pan below the boards but I think it was left over from the rain prior to the flex seal. I emptied the pan and will know for sure after the next rain. I have about 90% confidence the leak is fixed. Thanks to all that offered advice!

Sincerely,

H8

Dood... :thumbup:

I'm not sure what I said, but congrats.  I hope it works forever.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • I am surrounded by my privilege
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »
Got a insurance adjuster heading over this evening to look at our roof after the storms we have had in dfw. Everybody in hood is getting roofs so I figure might as join the party
Anyone savvy in how this shit works?

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
Got a insurance adjuster heading over this evening to look at our roof after the storms we have had in dfw. Everybody in hood is getting roofs so I figure might as join the party

It has been a while.  Lost 1/2 of roof in first hurricane and second 1/2 in the next one in the same season while negotiating with insurance.  Adjuster came back out and told us to get an estimate for entire roof.  We did and they approved.  When our roofer was finished they stroked him a check.  Very easy.

Offline jsimp

• Boar
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 09:17:51 PM »

If everybody else is getting one, you prolly are too

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »

Sorry, just now saw this. We had a hail storm in our neighborhood back in March and right after that everyone had roofing signs in their front yard. I finally called and we're getting a new roof. I called the contractor first and he met with the adjuster which is a good thing because the adjuster tried to short-change a couple of things but the contractor has worked with him before and is going back to him to get "supplemental funds". Adjuster actually left the first check the day he came out. Good luck.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • I am surrounded by my privilege
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »
Sorry, just now saw this. We had a hail storm in our neighborhood back in March and right after that everyone had roofing signs in their front yard. I finally called and we're getting a new roof. I called the contractor first and he met with the adjuster which is a good thing because the adjuster tried to short-change a couple of things but the contractor has worked with him before and is going back to him to get "supplemental funds". Adjuster actually left the first check the day he came out. Good luck.

So last year the adjuster came out and said our roof had a few dings but was in good shape which is kinda what I figured. 

We got hammered with golf ball sized hail again last month so I am doing this song and dance again. This time I have a roofer from a solid referral in the hopper for when adjuster comes out. I'll not be letting it go by this year.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.