Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Little Rock Rangers SC  (Read 13812 times)

Offline ManBearPig

• Science be praised!
  • Wild Hog
  • I'm the single biggest threat to our planet.
Re: Little Rock Rangers SC
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:53 PM »
Unfortunately, we were in Bryant later than I anticipated and didn't make it.  Looked like a good crowd and they won 2-1.  We'll definitely be at a later game.

My extremely meager attempt at a recap, as I saw it.

Today, the ADG reported over 3700 in attendance; it was a really good crowd, surprised the hell out of me.  I had predicted a much lower number.  The East Parking Lot was almost full.  The weather cooperated; really nice out.  I did not make it for the tailgating, but there were indeed several food trucks out and I imagine they did well, if the early crowd was any indicator.

They advertised Blue Canoe but they did not have any (that I saw); they sold Lost 40, Stella, BL, and maybe ML, at least that is what they sold at the concession just inside the Main Gate on the West Side.  There may have also been some box wine sold with fancy little cups, it appeared.

At the apparel booth, they evidently did a brisk business in the selling of the club scarves; they were sold out near game end.

The yard markings for American football were still on the field; it was quite distracting to me.  Others I was with were confused, too  ("Why are they playing out of bounds?"  Well, a soccer pitch is wider than a normal American football field.  Etc.)  I suppose only paying $500 rent for each of six home games is not enough to cover the cost of removing the yard markings for a couple months?

This, and "Why is there a guy banging on that big drum?"  No clue how this drumming even got started in other leagues?  I do not think they allow drums and other noisemakers in European Leagues, do they?  Maybe a South American thing that migrated north?  Literally, no clue on that.

Not sure what MLS teams do for halftime entertainment (besides going for more beer), but the on-field halftime effort here was almost nil (maybe this is normal?), unless you count something like 400 kids in bright yellow shirts running around on the pitch.  If they had guys hawking beer in the stands, they would do very well.  (Though that might lead to security issues, ha.)  Oh, they need cheerleaders, too.

Yeah, there was a game, too.  Fun to watch; our Rangers had several chances to score more in the first half; at least two shots hit a post, that I recall.

Looking forward to the first real match on Fri 6-May against FC Wichita.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
I read where there were some ticketing and concession-related issues that they claimed to be aware of and fixing.
Can't blame them, looked like a great turnout for a first match and all.

Going to try and make one in the future.
I really hope Hillary can run in 2016 and wins

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 12:38:58 PM »
I read where there were some ticketing and concession-related issues that they claimed to be aware of and fixing.
Can't blame them, looked like a great turnout for a first match and all.

Going to try and make one in the future.

I wish we had made it out Friday night, but we're also planning on going to one or more in the future. 

They drew 3-3 with Memphis City yesterday evening, thus winning the series 5-4 on aggregate, and brought home the I-40 Cup (no word on whether David Bazzel had anything to do with the creation of the trophy).

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:42:46 PM by Law_Hawg »

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »

I wish we had made it out Friday night, but we're also planning on going to one or more in the future. 

They drew 3-3 with Memphis City yesterday evening, thus winning the series 5-4 on aggregate, and brought home the I-40 Cup (no word on whether David Bazzel had anything to do with the creation of the trophy).

the memphis supporters group already kicked Bazzel's ass at a trophy for this thing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEm4Va-u-kV/

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:59:07 PM by Stephen Colboar »
I really hope Hillary can run in 2016 and wins

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
Took my oldest son out to WMS last night for the game.  There was a great crowd, but unfortunately the Rangers were pretty much dominated by FC Wichita in a 2-0 loss.  I'll give more details in another post when I have more time.  Getting ready to head back to WMS this afternoon for the Race to Remember.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »
Took my oldest son out to WMS last night for the game.  There was a great crowd, but unfortunately the Rangers were pretty much dominated by FC Wichita in a 2-0 loss.  I'll give more details in another post when I have more time.  Getting ready to head back to WMS this afternoon for the Race to Remember.

As promised, a little more on the game.

The crowd was awesome.  The official attendance that the Rangers put on their website was over 3,200, and I have no doubt it was at least that many.  It was a very solid crowd when you consider that the Travelers were also playing at home Friday night, and the Frozen live show was going on at Verizon Arena.   

I don't really know much about them, but FC Wichita won the conference last season.  From seeing the game, they had a lot more individual talent than the Rangers did.  Wichita controlled possession and toyed with the Rangers' defense, especially down the flanks.  Wichita was constantly getting players down the flanks in dangerous positions.  On offense, the Rangers enjoyed little sustained possession because they were constantly playing long balls out of the back and midfield.  There was almost no buildup play out of the midfield, just opportunistic long balls fired downfield in hopes someone would be able to latch onto one and get in on Wichita's goal.  The few times there was some buildup, bad touches or poor final passes did the Rangers in. 

The game was pretty well-officiated, and the referee didn't have too many controversial decisions to make.  One oddity, though, was that he blew the final whistle at least a couple of minutes ahead of the time on the stadium clock, so either he was way off or the stadium clock was way off (insert WMS clock jokes here). 

All in all, I thought it was a great experience, though, and plan on going back.  I'd recommend it to anybody in the area who is a soccer fan.   

Offline Cracklins

• A Shoat
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
I was also at the game and think their attendance numbers were a bit low.  I guessed 5,000, but I may suck at estimating attendance.  If the U of A had to report numbers they would have said at least 7,500.

As for the game, we were missing 6 players who I am told will be starters as the season goes forward.  Talked with one of the players, who didn't play much in the game due to illness, and he said the team was upbeat after getting it handed to them.  He seemed to think that Wichita is far and away the best team in the league and that they would have been closer to them if they'd had their true roster.  But he did not think they could beat them.  Still a 2-0 final and their second goal was some really bad ball control by our central defender, so it could have been 1-0.  Although in fairness, if Wichita had finished better it could have been 5 or 6 as well.  I guess it works both ways.

As for the clock, it had been stopped in the 88th minute for a while when the whistle blew.  The ref had it right and the stadium clock was messed up.  Realistically, you had to know that War Memorial would have a clock issue and time would have to be kept on the field.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
I was also at the game and think their attendance numbers were a bit low.  I guessed 5,000, but I may suck at estimating attendance.  If the U of A had to report numbers they would have said at least 7,500.

As for the game, we were missing 6 players who I am told will be starters as the season goes forward.  Talked with one of the players, who didn't play much in the game due to illness, and he said the team was upbeat after getting it handed to them.  He seemed to think that Wichita is far and away the best team in the league and that they would have been closer to them if they'd had their true roster.  But he did not think they could beat them.  Still a 2-0 final and their second goal was some really bad ball control by our central defender, so it could have been 1-0.  Although in fairness, if Wichita had finished better it could have been 5 or 6 as well.  I guess it works both ways.

As for the clock, it had been stopped in the 88th minute for a while when the whistle blew.  The ref had it right and the stadium clock was messed up.  Realistically, you had to know that War Memorial would have a clock issue and time would have to be kept on the field.

As far as the attendance goes, I know the big parking lot on the east side of the stadium was basically full and the other lot on the northeast side was totally full.  It was a bit of a late-arriving crowd, as a lot of people were still filing into their seats 20-30 minutes into the game. 

The first goal was indicative of the Rangers' problems on the night.  There was a ball played down the right flank into the box, Wichita's player beat his defender and crossed into the middle of the box to an unmarked player, and that player picked out the left corner of the net (he had all sorts of time to choose his spot).  I'm hoping some of those players they were missing will help the midfield, because that seemed to be where they were struggling the most.  They didn't see a long ball they didn't like Friday night. 

I missed the clock stoppage during the second half, so that does explain it. 

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »
why are they not listed in the teams participating in the US Open Cup?
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 05:10:45 PM »
why are they not listed in the teams participating in the US Open Cup?

They're in the NPSL, which is basically the fourth division of American soccer.  The NPSL has 13 slots in the 2016 tournament, and the NPSL used last season's league results to fill those slots.  That left the Rangers out, obviously, since they're brand new.   

2016 LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP DETAILS ANNOUNCED

Edit:  After the above press release was issued, the USSF gave the NPSL two more slots in this year's tournament, upping the NPSL's number to 15. 

ADDITIONAL NPSL TEAMS SELECTED FOR U.S. OPEN CUP
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:13:58 PM by Law_Hawg »

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »
they really need to get the promotion and relegation up and going and get rid of this dumb tournament format at the end of the season.
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »
they really need to get the promotion and relegation up and going and get rid of this dumb tournament format at the end of the season.

The owners will never agree to institute a promotion/relegation system here.  Nobody wants to take the risk of being relegated and the revenue loss that comes with relegation.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »
the very restrictive salary cap issue really holds down the MLS as well. 

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »

This picture is from last Friday's game.  One with a discerning eye can make out my back and my son's back.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »

Arkansas Times article on the Rangers from this week.

Pro soccer scores in LR: LR Rangers draw sizable crowds at War Memorial.

Offline RPL

• Wild Hog
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »
I'll be there for the next match!

A Dutch team from Houston. 
I'm like a fat kid at kickball.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 09:55:39 AM »
I'll be there for the next match!

A Dutch team from Houston.

Offline RPL

• Wild Hog
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2016, 10:30:56 PM »
Good crowd tonight.  Thought the Rangers were going to win it with the header with about 10 minutes left.  From there on, it was nothing but the Dutch Houstonians. 

I'm looking forward to the next match!

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2016, 04:48:08 PM »
Rangers bet Joplin 1-0 Friday night for their first conference win of the season.

Their last two home games are Friday against Ft. Worth and Sunday against Tulsa.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
Their last two home games are Friday against Ft. Worth and Sunday against Tulsa.

My bad.  Apparently they play Shreveport on Friday night, not Ft. Worth. 

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
Went to the game Friday night against Shreveport.  It was a good game with both teams going up and down the field and creating scoring chances.  Neither team scored from the run of play, but both scored on corners for a 1-1 draw.  Had a pretty large crowd out for it.

Their last home game of the season is tonight at 6:00 against Tulsa.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
Their last home game of the season is tonight at 6:00 against Tulsa.

The Rangers lost that last home game to Tulsa, who is currently first in the conference with a 10-1 record, by a 1-0 score.  That loss dropped the Rangers' record to 1-6-1.

Since then, the Rangers have won three straight road games to improve to 4-6-1 overall.  They're already eliminated from playoff contention (almost got themselves back into it), but have one more road game left to close out their season tomorrow against Dallas City FC. 

Offline RPL

• Wild Hog
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »

The Rangers lost that last home game to Tulsa, who is currently first in the conference with a 10-1 record, by a 1-0 score.  That loss dropped the Rangers' record to 1-6-1.

Since then, the Rangers have won three straight road games to improve to 4-6-1 overall.  They're already eliminated from playoff contention (almost got themselves back into it), but have one more road game left to close out their season tomorrow against Dallas City FC.

It sure seemed like a short season. 

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 04:43:09 PM »
It sure seemed like a short season.

It is.  The NPSL teams only play 12 regular-season games.  Their playoffs run through July, with the championship in early August. 

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »

The Rangers beat Dallas City 2-0 yesterday to finish the season with a four-game winning streak.  Overall, they went 5-6-1, including a 5-1-1 record in their last seven games.  Had Dallas City beaten Shreveport earlier in the week, last night's win would've put the Rangers in the playoffs.  As it was, though, they were already eliminated from playoff contention before last night's game.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 36 queries.