Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Outdoor TV Mounting Ideas  (Read 19423 times)

Offline goporkyourself

• cool side of the pillow
  • King of the Hogs
  • having a good week of practice
Outdoor TV Mounting Ideas
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »
i want to mount a tv outside on my deck. i have an area that is covered by the roof overhang where i have a grill and a cabinet.

i would like to mount the tv on the underside of the overhang and have it on a mount that swivels and that can be folded up and locked to the ceiling when not in use.

i googled and got so many mounts i don't even want to try to wade through them.

anyone done this and got a recommendation to save me the trouble?

Offline GolfingHog

• Tush Hog
  • Calmer than you are.
Re: Outdoor TV Mounting Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »
I've bought all of my tv mounts on Monoprice, never had any problems with them. I've got my outside tv mounted flat on the wall, but they have plenty of swivel options I'm sure that would be just as easy to put up.

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »
you put a cover on it when not watching?

my deck faces due west so i'll need to move it around due to glare and keep it out of the storms that blow in.

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:07:27 PM »
i'll check out monoprice

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »
You have issues to consider for both the mount and the tv.  The easy ones are cold, heat, and moisture.  The biggest challenge for most of us, which is never shown in any outdoor living catalog, are fucking bugs and spiders.  They love light, electricity, heat, dark hidey spaces, and a lot of what the innards are made of.  Left unattended your Vizio is going to be filled with June bugs, mayflies, spiders, and dirt daubers and red wasps.  The TV needs an impervious cover that will keep out the critters as much as moisture and heat.  Solaire is a good one.

You are looking at a complex mount that is going to be expensive even with cheap mounts, since that pulling up into the ceiling is a challenge to find, with the full pivot.  If you can go to a wall I would suggest that is a cheaper safer option and it's easier to pull it down for storage if you do a seasonal usage.  Check out peerless, skyvue, chief, a few others for out door mounts.

If you go cheaper, I suggest you swap out the hardware for stainless, and then cover as much of the mount as possible with rubberized weatherproof paint. 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:15:45 PM by TexZilla »

Offline CardHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:20:41 AM »
I've had my Samsung mounted on our back patio for two years with no cover and I've never had a problem.  We do have a covered patio though and I do spray bifenthrin around the house, including the patio, multiple times a year.

Offline GolfingHog

• Tush Hog
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:36:24 AM »
Same here, we've been there for almost 6 years and I've never had an issue. Yeah bugs and shit have camped out in the back panel a few times, but the tv still works perfectly. I've also got a cable box and an Apple TV out there year round. Mine faces the west too, so glare can be an issue but it's really not that much of an annoyance. I bought a couple of retractable shades from Lowes that help with heat and glare. If you're really concerned, don't break the bank on a tv. I got a deal on an open box Insignia from Best Buy, didn't come with a stand which I wasn't going to use anyways.

I'd also recommend going big if your space allows it. I started with a 32", have a 40" now, and am wanting to upgrade to a 50" which is about all I can fit up there I think.

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Tush Hog
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »
The bug thing may vary by location.  I've had dirt daubers clog the electric outlets and ceiling fan in my back porch.

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline JDHog

• Boar
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
I made a weather proof cabinet for my back deck.  It has a door that closes for when the TV isn't in use.  I've had the same 37" Samsung out there for going on 4 years.  Not one problem.

I have an old home theater amp with 8 speakers and two subwoofers with car amp hooked to it.  I built a box for the sub and amp....it looks like an end table.  I use an old server power supply to power the amp.  I have the speakers arranged where I get sound all around my back deck and pool deck area.  It's great for watching games and just everyday getting drunk.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:10:05 AM by JDHog »

Offline Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
I've had a TV mounted outside for a while now.  This pic shows the old 32 inch.  I've upgraded to a 46 inch.  I have a little 18' above ground pool next to my deck and we can see and hear the TV from the pool.  Great for watching baseball during the summer.  I would suggest getting a lock though.  These work great and are easy to install:

http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Screen-Anti-Theft-Security-Kit/dp/B003Z4PPSU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I don't have much of a problem with bugs but dust and pollen are nuts out there.  I just simply wipe the area down about every 2 weeks or so during pollen season and once a month elsewise.  Never had any problems with the TV due to moisture or anything else. 

As for the mount, I build it myself.  Tapped into the existing window frame and dropped some 2x4's down and built the little box to hold the cable box. 

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
The old Coke machine is a nice touch.

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 04:01:14 PM »
meh, looks like the discount section from a skymall magazine threw up out there.

Offline Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »
The old Coke machine is a nice touch.

It held beer until freakin mice ate through the cables. 

meh, looks like the discount section from a skymall magazine threw up out there.

Gee, thanks.  It's personalized the way we like it. 

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
Anyone have experience with the down and out mounts?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Mounting-1-A0200-Down-Mount/dp/B00502OG3U

They are pricey, but seem like a good solution if the best viewing location is where your fireplace resides.

David St. Hubbins: We say, "Love your brother." We don't say it really, but...
Nigel:We don't literally say it.
David St. Hubbins: No, we don't say it.
Nigel: We don't really, literally mean it.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
Outdoor TV Mounting Ideas
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 05:31:35 PM »
I have one pig for putting tv over fireplace and love it.

The sell an extension bar that you will probably need to hit more studs. I just put two hardwood strips to hit 3 studs and then mounted the mount to those.  Painted the wood and it looks fine

They have lots of travel so can get it down to perfect height and then put back up when not in use

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 06:52:56 PM »
It held beer until freakin mice ate through the cables. 

Gee, thanks.  It's personalized the way we like it.

haha, i'm just kidding. i knew that would start some shit

Offline Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »
haha, i'm just kidding. i knew that would start some shit
Homo.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »
At our last house, I had an old 42" hanging on a wall in our covered patio.  We backed to a creek on a golf course, and had all kinds of bugs and shit.  I originally mounted it and left it bare, and within a week it had dirt dauber nests, june bug carcasses, a wasp nest, mayfly shit, and cobwebs all over it.  Cleaned it up and put a Solaire on it and had no more issues.  I still had all that shit, it just wasn't on the TV.

Offline HogNrock

• Tush Hog
  • McHeisman pose
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »
I've bought all of my tv mounts on Monoprice, never had any problems with them. I've got my outside tv mounted flat on the wall, but they have plenty of swivel options I'm sure that would be just as easy to put up.

I want that cooler on top of the fridge.  Nice setup, you can even holler at the wife to bring you a sammich from the kitchen.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 11:45:10 PM »
I want that cooler on top of the fridge.  Nice setup, you can even holler at the wife to bring you a sammich from the kitchen.

Ha.  I thought it was pretty tight as well.

Online Animal

• Custom Title
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 06:05:49 AM »
Anyone have experience with the down and out mounts?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Mounting-1-A0200-Down-Mount/dp/B00502OG3U

They are pricey, but seem like a good solution if the best viewing location is where your fireplace resides.

I would look at Monoprice before buying.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/6517?maincategoryid=109&categoryid=10828&subcategoryid=1082821

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 07:03:07 AM »
bought a mount off mono-price. works great at a great price.

decided not to do cabinet around mount because it would just be too big. got a cover off of amazon that seems to be pretty good. i'll probably bring the tv in for winter.

Offline GolfingHog

• Tush Hog
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 08:15:25 AM »

:borat:

The wife said she got the cooler on Groupon. Here's a link on BBB: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/university-of-arkansas-60-qt-stainless-steel-cooler/1043964567

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »

David St. Hubbins: We say, "Love your brother." We don't say it really, but...
Nigel:We don't literally say it.
David St. Hubbins: No, we don't say it.
Nigel: We don't really, literally mean it.

Online Animal

• Custom Title
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »
That doesn't have the up and down travel.

Ahh I see

It's worth every penny to get one that goes up and down and side to side tilt forward and back.