Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion  (Read 65572 times)

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
Re: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »
In the end he makes that much because that's his market value, if he didn't it would be hard to keep Texas, Stanford, Michigan or now Florida from hiring him away.  His name comes up for the top 10 jobs regularly because he's considered a top 10 (or even 5) AD at a non-top 10 school.

Michigan hasn't called twice and Stanford never called.
Texas. as far as anyone knows, is the only school to have called.

If he can improve his lot so be it, let's not act like if he leaves that the program would be set back 10 years.

Arkansas: The Buyout State

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
If he can improve his lot so be it, let's not act like if he leaves that the program would be set back 10 years.

For some reason a lot of Arkansas fans think people at the UofA have to have a job for life and retire here.

Offline Tonic

• Local Sunshine Pumper
  • Boar
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
Michigan hasn't called twice and Stanford never called.
Texas. as far as anyone knows, is the only school to have called.

No one said we would be set back if Long left. The question was why did Jeff Long make so much money. That was answered in two posts.

For some reason a lot of Arkansas fans think people at the UofA have to have a job for life and retire here.

What has Jeff Long done that was so horrible for him to be run off? Your statement makes no sense and has nothing to do with the question you originally asked.

Don't waste your time with the mouth breathers.

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2016, 11:38:20 AM »
No one said we would be set back if Long left. The question was why did Jeff Long make so much money. That was answered in two posts.

What has Jeff Long done that was so horrible for him to be run off? Your statement makes no sense and has nothing to do with the question you originally asked.

Because I don't think he's an $1.8 million dollar AD that means I want to run him off?  I don't remember a time when all three sports were struggling.  We are paying people well and the results have yet to come.

Offline Tonic

• Local Sunshine Pumper
  • Boar
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Because I don't think he's an $1.8 million dollar AD that means I want to run him off?  I don't remember a time when all three sports were struggling.  We are paying people well and the results have yet to come.

You dont know anything about this subject if this is your thought process.

Don't waste your time with the mouth breathers.

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »
You dont know anything about this subject if this is your thought process.

I know about a dozen people that have worked for him or are currently working for him. Jeff Long is a very nice guy and I think he's a good person. As Mongoose said, we wouldn't be set back if he went to another University.  What has he done for $1.8 million that another AD couldn't do?

So many people act like we are lucky to have someone. Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of these people are lucky to have Arkansas? It's a better job than you think.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:34:49 PM by Razor B »

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »
Just getting the Athletic Department into this century and out of the GOBN system that JFB let run the show for way too long was worth every bit of the salary he has drawn so far.

That doesn't even count the program running a surplus every year, actually getting good national press, and seemingly having good coaches for most of the sports.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »
Lil'Wally tries to outsuck Nate:

David Pryor knew he was beat. He knew it from the start, but he spoke from his heart, picked up support from Cliff Gibson, but they went down strongly but quietly Thursday as the University of Arkansas board of trustees voted 8-2 for a $160 million expansion to Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
It wasn't denied the project most likely will be more in the neighborhood of $200 million when completed.
Before doing the math, which shows that is more than $60,000 for each of the proposed 3,000-plus additional seats -- all in luxury suites most of us will only see through binoculars -- understand a big part of that money is for the new athletic facility that will have underground parking so, as one former trustee said, it will keep the administration from getting wet.
Yes, several former board members, in a Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette guest editorial and letter to the statewide Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, urged the current board not to spend $160 million on football.
Rather, they asked to consider using it for updating actual academic buildings, raises for underpaid teachers and professors, and other things such as science equipment.
Like Pryor and Gibson, they were ignored.
In the aftermath, and judging by comments, emails and texts, this campaign might not have won a statewide election.
Numerous negative comments have been heard and read, and some of those directed at Athletic Director Jeff Long are not flattering.
Like, Long is a money-grubber, a Yankee, an athletic director with too many layers between him and the real fan base, and a guy out of touch with the state of Arkansas.
Well, the fact is, Long was doing what he is paid to do -- look out for the athletic department. That's why he's called the athletic director.
The president of the UA system, Donald Bobbitt, and Chancellor Joe Steinmetz, who opened Thursday's meeting supporting the expansion, were apparently 100 percent on board. Their titles are above that of athletic director.
How this particularly large expense will help win more football games and produce more revenue remains to be seen, but it seems a foregone conclusion that when completed it would be almost impossible to play any more games in central Arkansas.
It is obvious fans are not going to support their Hogs in War Memorial Stadium against teams such as Alcorn State, but then again, fans in Northwest Arkansas wouldn't either.
There is no doubt downsizing to one central Arkansas game is having an effect on the Razorbacks Nation in central, east and southeast Arkansas.
The Razorbacks are not necessarily losing fans who went to school in Fayetteville, but more likely the fans who felt like they were part of what was once a statewide program.
If the UA wasn't feeling some sort of pinch, then why did the Razorback Foundation recently announce it had hired two women to run a new satellite office in Little Rock. The Foundation tried to hire a former Razorback, but the salary was more in line with a recent graduate.
It's also not going to help the UA that the $120 million bond issue was awarded to a banking institution headquartered in Boston, rather than one of the great financial institutions in Arkansas, according to multiple sources. J.P. Morgan apparently was the low bidder but just barely.
Pryor, a former Arkansas governor and U.S. senator, spoke out for the University of Arkansas but not against the Razorbacks. He got one supporter, Gibson, but that wasn't enough.
The eight trustees who voted for the expansion might have gotten it right, only time will tell.

“I would rather be governed by the first two thousand people in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand people on the faculty of Harvard University.”
— William Buckley on “Meet the Press”, 17 October 1965.

HogHead McCormick

« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »

David Pryor knew he was beat. He knew it from the start, but he spoke from his heart, picked up support from Cliff Gibson, but they went down strongly but quietly Thursday as the University of Arkansas board of trustees voted 8-2 for a $160 million expansion to Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
It wasn't denied the project most likely will be more in the neighborhood of $200 million when completed.
Before doing the math, which shows that is more than $60,000 for each of the proposed 3,000-plus additional seats -- all in luxury suites most of us will only see through binoculars -- understand a big part of that money is for the new athletic facility that will have underground parking so, as one former trustee said, it will keep the administration from getting wet.
Yes, several former board members, in a Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette guest editorial and letter to the statewide Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, urged the current board not to spend $160 million on football.
Rather, they asked to consider using it for updating actual academic buildings, raises for underpaid teachers and professors, and other things such as science equipment.
Like Pryor and Gibson, they were ignored.
In the aftermath, and judging by comments, emails and texts, this campaign might not have won a statewide election.
Numerous negative comments have been heard and read, and some of those directed at Athletic Director Jeff Long are not flattering.
Like, Long is a money-grubber, a Yankee, an athletic director with too many layers between him and the real fan base, and a guy out of touch with the state of Arkansas.
Well, the fact is, Long was doing what he is paid to do -- look out for the athletic department. That's why he's called the athletic director.
The president of the UA system, Donald Bobbitt, and Chancellor Joe Steinmetz, who opened Thursday's meeting supporting the expansion, were apparently 100 percent on board. Their titles are above that of athletic director.
How this particularly large expense will help win more football games and produce more revenue remains to be seen, but it seems a foregone conclusion that when completed it would be almost impossible to play any more games in central Arkansas.
It is obvious fans are not going to support their Hogs in War Memorial Stadium against teams such as Alcorn State, but then again, fans in Northwest Arkansas wouldn't either.
There is no doubt downsizing to one central Arkansas game is having an effect on the Razorbacks Nation in central, east and southeast Arkansas.
The Razorbacks are not necessarily losing fans who went to school in Fayetteville, but more likely the fans who felt like they were part of what was once a statewide program.
If the UA wasn't feeling some sort of pinch, then why did the Razorback Foundation recently announce it had hired two women to run a new satellite office in Little Rock. The Foundation tried to hire a former Razorback, but the salary was more in line with a recent graduate.
It's also not going to help the UA that the $120 million bond issue was awarded to a banking institution headquartered in Boston, rather than one of the great financial institutions in Arkansas, according to multiple sources. J.P. Morgan apparently was the low bidder but just barely.
Pryor, a former Arkansas governor and U.S. senator, spoke out for the University of Arkansas but not against the Razorbacks. He got one supporter, Gibson, but that wasn't enough.
The eight trustees who voted for the expansion might have gotten it right, only time will tell.

Can you still major in journalism?

Why?

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »
Can you still major in journalism?

Why?

Because blog.

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

BlahBlahBlah
Blah
Bullshit.

The answer to every question about the seeming stupidity of every government decision from Covid to the coming war is simple. The elites want you dead..

Offline Cerdo

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
from the article:

I always find this to be among the most stupidly snide things people will say in the Great Stadium Debates. 
In recent years, an opponent like Alcorn St typically fills about 70% of either "home" stadium for the Hogs.  In WMS it ends up being like 40k and in RRS it ends up being like 60k.    I'm no math whiz but 20k people is a fairly big difference when either side is trying to paint the other side as shittty fans.... and I say this as a person who feels that the Hogs SHOULD play a game in Central AR once every year or two forever. 

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Phil Hartman
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »
This is from Scott Varady concerning one error in the editorial letter:

"The plans for the stadium project have never called for the construction of an underground parking garage or a private elevator for Athletic Department staff. While I know this inaccurate assertion did not originate with you, I know you strive to report accurate information, and I wanted to dispel such an unfounded myth. "

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »

I agree.  I know Tonic likes to think that there's "so much more", but really, aren't good AD's supposed to generate "maximum income" for the university athletic department while making sure the student-athlete is well-served, while making sure the fan is pleased?

I guess since Tonic so summarily dismissed your post, he thought we were all supposed to know the exact requirements of an AD in the exact order?  I wish he'd "englighten" all of us instead of acting like he knows.

What we know is that the best coaching hire of the last 30 years here was fired b/c they couldn't get along, the football program has sucked or at best been average since, the baseball program has made absolutely no change under Long, and the basketball program is graduating more players.

But we're turning a profit due to the extraordinary efforts on our AD's behalf negotiating a network TV deal that includes all 14 schools in the league, a league that pays equal revenue to all 14 schools and was negotiated by all 14 AD's.  And we're paying that TV revenue to underperforming coaches?  I'm all in favor of retaining underperforming coaches in the "short" term in order to take a chance on a long term great hire like Richardson, Van Horn, DeBriyn, Holtz, Broyles, etc. but does that automatically involve a raise during a season you sucked?  Doesn't make sense to me. 

Oh, and I'm a mouth breather according to Clark because I don't have a friend on staff on the basketball team.  Or had.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
I mean, surely some people here realize that Clark is such "great friends" with Matt that anything he posts regarding the basketball team or the AD that keeps a 1 in 5 coach, might just be a "little bit" biased.

Sorry, I'm mouthbreathing.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2016, 10:44:01 AM »
, the baseball program has made absolutely no change under Long, .

are you drinking this early on a monday?

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Tush Hog
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »

What we know is that the best coaching hire of the last 30 years here was fired b/c they couldn't get along, the football program has sucked or at best been average since.

Boy. Talk about oversimplification. This is why nobody can take anything you say seriously. ::)

Offline geohul

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
Academics and their cush jobs, got damn.
This is the part that irritated me slightly.  Anyone that knows me, knows I'm pretty much the opposite of an academic.  I'm not particularly smart, nor overly educated, and I work with some of the realest Arkansans you'll ever meet.  Red State, gun owning, guys that get shit done.  I may not subscribe to all of their beliefs but they are some of the best people I've ever known and they deserve better than they are getting.  That was the point I attempted to convey, but that was poorly explained by my academic ass.     

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »
This is the part that irritated me slightly.  Anyone that knows me, knows I'm pretty much the opposite of an academic.  I'm not particularly smart, nor overly educated, and I work with some of the realest Arkansans you'll ever meet.  Red State, gun owning, guys that get shit done.  I may not subscribe to all of their beliefs but they are some of the best people I've ever known and they deserve better than they are getting.  That was the point I attempted to convey, but that was poorly explained by my academic ass.   

you'll see my response above and see that it irritated me as well.  it isn't like the movies.  >:(

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Clark

• Controls white girls via the pumpkin spice.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Sailing on a sea of really smooth music.
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
I mean, surely some people here realize that Clark is such "great friends" with Matt that anything he posts regarding the basketball team or the AD that keeps a 1 in 5 coach, might just be a "little bit" biased.

Sorry, I'm mouthbreathing.
You're the Skip Bayless of Woopig.

The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

I was in...Sang Bang...Dang Gong...I was all over the place, a lot of places. I was with the Green Berets, Special Unit Battalions... Commando Airborne Tactics...Specialist Tactics Unit Battalion. Yeah, it was real hush hush. I was Agent Orange, Special Agent Orange, that was me.

Offline Joe Swine

• Boar
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
you'll see my response above and see that it irritated me as well.  it isn't like the movies.  >:(

You can take over a few classes from the older men, but until you start plowing pertinent wives, you really aren't working. The broad, inviting avenue to man's job is through his wife, and don't you forget it.

Offline billy_ocean_fan

• Every Ladies Dream...
  • Wild Hog
  • Billy>Pacific>Atlantic
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
The score is now:

Wallace: -1
Nate: -2

The Baylor comment...just wow.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/20/board-dissent-expansion-not-total-loss/

HogHead McCormick

« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2016, 07:01:36 PM »
The score is now:

Wallace: -1
Nate: -2

The Baylor comment...just wow.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/20/board-dissent-expansion-not-total-loss/

So 2 trustees voted no. That's not rubber stamp.
Is Prior still on the board? Are any of those others with him?
Then why is Nate making it seem like the AD got away with something? Former BOT members are just that. Former. As in no longer allowed a vote.

Nates' drivel always has a huge, lying slant.

He's a POS writer, and any paper that prints his column is a POS too.

The whole entire media is nothing but shit.

I thought journalists were supposed to be fair and balanced. Was supposed to be one the cornerstones of the country. When was the last time anyone saw a piece that was fair and balanced?

Fucking joke.

The censor should change media to cocksuckers.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:07:03 PM by HogHead McCormick »

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »
Nate's just mad that since numbNutts left, he hasn't been treated special and precious.

An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline Nolapigz

• Boar
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
The dildo I bought when I was 16 should change media to cocksuckers.