Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion  (Read 52269 times)

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
Re: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »
Maybe I'm naive but here's what I think:

If we had done this expansion in 2009 and opened it with the 2010 season does anyone think we wouldn't have had sellouts in 10 and 11?

The problem filling the stadium is tied to the coach. Hire the right coach and I'm not worried about the expansion.

I said basically the same thing here earlier somewhere but absolutely.  We rocked sellouts regularly when we were good.

We had 74K here for TCU this year and they brought nobody.  We will sell this out when we have a good team without any issues.  Or just with the excitement of a new coach people want.

Offline HawgRockCafe

• King of the Hogs
  • WPS
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
This was discussed in the other thread, but here's some more detail on the bond payments (you have to register, but it's free):

https://www.bondbuyer.com/news/u-of-arkansas-plays-stadium-game-with-bond-deal

Basically, we are paying back nearly 50% of the $115 MM bond over the next 10 years with the rest spread out beyond that. That's $57.5 MM in just principal payments over the next ten years. Adding in interest and at minimum you're looking at $8 MM in increased yearly debt obligations starting in 2018.

I'd love to see their math, my guesses on what they projected:

1) Sell every suite for $1 MM for 6 years which seems to be the going rate, that's $6.3 MM / year.
2) Sell 64 loge boxes at an average of $20,000 / year is another $1.3 MM.
3) Sell 3,000 club seats x $125 / ticket is $2.6 MM
4) Assume minimal to no-issues selling suits and seats that opened up from people moving into new endzone

That totals about $10 MM increase in yearly revenue, which in theory would more than cover the $8 MM in yearly bond payments. It all comes down to how well the club seats are selling as well as how well they are back-filling the people that moved to the new end zone from the rest of the stadium. It sounds as if they are having a hell of a time backfilling, based on anecdotes.

The club seats are $225 outside the goalposts and $250 right behind. The loge boxes are $16,000 for 4-seats. I don’t remember if there are larger ones. These are inclusive of donations.

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
The loge boxes are $16,000 for 4-seats. I don’t remember if there are larger ones. These are inclusive of donations.

And food! Unlimited NACHOS!

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

A very stable genius.

Offline HawgRockCafe

• King of the Hogs
  • WPS
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »
And food! Unlimited NACHOS!

And Pepsi.

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »
The loge boxes are $16,000 for 4-seats. I don’t remember if there are larger ones.

There are field level loge boxes and second level loge boxes. The field level come in 4 or 8 seat configurations. Not sure about the second level.

Offline arkansawyer

• A Shoat
« Reply #255 on: November 10, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
I said basically the same thing here earlier somewhere but absolutely.  We rocked sellouts regularly when we were good.

We had 74K here for TCU this year and they brought nobody.  We will sell this out when we have a good team without any issues.  Or just with the excitement of a new coach people want.

I agree as well, but I do think the fresh financial obligations are interesting in light of (maybe) 40k in seats on homecoming.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #256 on: November 10, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
I agree as well, but I do think the fresh financial obligations are interesting in light of (maybe) 40k in seats on homecoming.

The amount of people actually in their seats matters, mainly because it points to future revenue.  Nobody should care if 65K tickets were sold this year.  What they want to know is who is coming to the games now, which points to future revenue.

Several people were giving away tickets out front of the stadium, and most likely will be the next two games.  That should tell someone that not EVERYONE will renew.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Boondoggle

• Boar
  • Guardedly Optimistic
« Reply #257 on: November 10, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
The amount of people actually in their seats matters, mainly because it points to future revenue.  Nobody should care if 65K tickets were sold this year.  What they want to know is who is coming to the games now, which points to future revenue.

Several people were giving away tickets out front of the stadium, and most likely will be the next two games.  That should tell someone that not EVERYONE will renew.

Those people giving away tickets would be better served if they shredded their tickets and mailed them to Steinmetz and the BOT.  That would send the right message to the powers that be.

I'm going to buy a bunch of $2 and $3 tickets to the MSU game and send them back to the You of A in that fashion. Would be the first money I've given them in years, but will be well-spent and satisfying to see ground up in the shredder like confetti.

Torches and pitchforks at the ready.