Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion  (Read 65568 times)

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Tush Hog
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
Re: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
Soon you probably won't need a satellite or cable provider to watch anything ESPN online, only a subscription to the Watch ESPN app, which will still have all of the revenue generating commercials of television.  ESPN will still make their money, just from a different source than television.

That day is already here.  You can get several of the ESPN "family of networks" plus ESPN Watch through the Sling online TV provider.  Oddly enough, they don't show commercials on some programming; not sure what's up with that.

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:52 PM »
That day is already here.  You can get several of the ESPN "family of networks" plus ESPN Watch through the Sling online TV provider.  Oddly enough, they don't show commercials on some programming; not sure what's up with that.

and it is fabulous.

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• Emperor of Woopig
  • savage
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2016, 04:59:33 PM »
Sling was absolutely shitty in my experience.

"I was right, but things change."

HogHead McCormick

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »

Yes it is. Less programming every week.
I'm still using sling, but am anxiously awaiting a better service from google, amazon, someone.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »
I don't want to hear bitching about a 2 percent raise by staff members when many of us haven't sniffed a 2 percent per annum raise since 2008. Got Damn that pissed me off. You unhappy? Find another fucking job. That's gov't and gov't connected jobs in a fucking nutshell. Folks would have loved those raise elsewhere. Raising health cost? Congrats Obama voting motherfuckers, just wait till the next round of increases, pucker up bitches. Academics and their cush jobs, got damn.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:20:43 PM by chittlins »
“I would rather be governed by the first two thousand people in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand people on the faculty of Harvard University.”
— William Buckley on “Meet the Press”, 17 October 1965.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • Boar
  • I sang "Hey Jude", as he died.....
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »
I'm ok with them passing on this.  There are a couple of building projects that are sorely needed on campus and I'd prefer they not half-ass them.

The new chancellor is already talking enrollment cap, and raising standards for OOS students.  Apparently another record freshman class is headed to the hill in the fall.

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline chittlins

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
I'm ok with them passing on this.  There are a couple of building projects that are sorely needed on campus and I'd prefer they not half-ass them.

The new chancellor is already talking enrollment cap, and raising standards for OOS students.  Apparently another record freshman class is headed to the hill in the fall.

Fayetteville's road infrastructure near campus can't handle much more.

“I would rather be governed by the first two thousand people in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand people on the faculty of Harvard University.”

Offline The Pig in Black

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
I don't want to hear bitching about a 2 percent raise by staff members when many of us haven't sniffed a 2 percent per annum raise since 2008. Got Damn that pissed me off. You unhappy? Find another fucking job. That's gov't and gov't connected jobs in a fucking nutshell. Folks would have loved those raise elsewhere. Raising health cost? Congrats Obama voting motherfuckers, just wait till the next round of increases, pucker up bitches. Academics and their cush jobs, got damn.

You really are the biggest blowhard asshole on this board.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2016, 06:44:22 PM »

i got rid of it and got Vue instead.

500 more than what we had this year.

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »
[/quote

go tell that to our custodial staff making 17K a year. 

Offline Rocket_City_Hawg

• Tush Hog
  • Javelin. When you need to kill something
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2016, 07:12:57 PM »
For the uninformed, what does an athletics facility expansion paid for by private donations and bonds that will be repaid by athletic revenue have to do with academic staff pay.  Academic facilities I can see but given that same athletics group also contributed to two recent academic facilities, you would think they would get a pass on that.  The answers to Pryor's questions were enlightening to how we conduct business as opposed to the other members of the conference

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »

go tell that to our custodial staff making 17K a year.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2016, 07:14:40 PM »
For the uninformed, what does an athletics facility expansion paid for by private donations and bonds that will be repaid by athletic revenue have to do with academic staff pay.  Academic facilities I can see but given that same athletics group also contributed to two recent academic facilities, you would think they would get a pass on that.  The answers to Pryor's questions were enlightening to how we conduct business as opposed to the other members of the conference

it doesn't.  that's what people don't understand and in a lot of cases, care to understand.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2016, 08:08:10 PM »
I don't understand why people don't get that the stadium will be paid for with football money.  They are already giving more to athletics than all but a handful of programs across the country. 

Our stadium renovation 16 years ago made up a lot of ground but didn't exactly keep us up with the Joneses, and we've done virtually nothing since.  We've been pumping money into facilities for non-revenue sports (and lower revenue sports), in the end if you want to make money for the athletic dept to keep doing that you have one place to really do it - football.  This is about feeding the dog that's pulling the whole damn sled.

Offline hit_that_line

• Woopig Joe Biden
  • King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
This issue will be way oversubscribed. Probably have to go out beyond 30 to get a >4 TEY.

Offline Loma

• Backwoodigan Razorback
  • King of the Hogs
  • Watch your top knot.
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2016, 09:03:25 PM »
My interpretation of the letter:

Houston Nutt is the best coach we can get. We are pitiful little Arkansas.

Offline billy_ocean_fan

• Every Ladies Dream...
  • Wild Hog
  • Billy>Pacific>Atlantic
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 09:25:07 PM »
All of this could have been avoided with a a little paint on that god-awful Broyle's center yellow brick.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • Boar
  • I sang "Hey Jude", as he died.....
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 11:57:40 PM »
All of this could have been avoided with a a little paint on that god-awful Broyle's center yellow brick.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline chittlins

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2016, 04:22:27 AM »
You really are the biggest blowhard asshole on this board.

No, no one should ever be guaranteed a raise especially some of the most recession, economic downturn proofed ones. Many Americans have actually seen wages lowered and health care costs rise compared to a bunch of whiney asses bitching about only getting 2 percent every year. Oh boo hoo. If that offends you, too bad.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
  • There’s no girl exactly like her.
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2016, 05:20:36 AM »

:thumbup:

“You didn’t choose me.  I chose you.”  - Sam Pittman

HogHead McCormick

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2016, 07:28:28 AM »

Last gasp of the GOBN?

Offline chittlins

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »
They seem a bit confused, first they bitch about it only being 3,000 seats and then use the stadium is already too big argument. It's all a bit disingenuous because these are supposedly smart folk and they already know what type of seats these are. I can't wait to see the consternation of this group when we drop over 100 million on BWA and actually shrink the overall capacity. BWA is next. New Concourses, club seating and corresponding areas, loading docks and dressing rooms, ect, ect, ect. All to make it a full fledged multipurpose arena.

Offline geohul

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2016, 08:26:49 AM »
Sorry if I triggered a sore spot for you.  What I said came of as entitled and that wasn't my intention.  I'm thankful everyday I come to work that I have a good job and food on the table.  The point I was attempting to make was that we are losing some of our better faculty to schools like A&M and Texas because our faculty pay is some of the lowest in the country.  I don't have kids, but a lot of you do.  I'd like for our University to be a place where our students are taught by great thinkers, scientists, engineers etc.  If we keep faculty like that we enrich the entire state, and prepare our citizens for bigger and better.  The arts & science program just saw a combined 200+ years of teaching experience either retire or leave for greener pastures.  Without competitive salaries we are going to end up with some bottom of the barrel candidates to fill those positions.  I'm not suggesting you can't get a great education here.  I'm suggesting that if they don't improve faculty salaries, that may not be the case much longer.  We don't blink twice when the football coach gets a million dollar raise, but our engineering professor can't get a 4% raise without people being pissed off.

Staff salaries are equally problematic.  The turnover is ridiculously high and it's becoming difficult to retain talented people.  We have folks who have been here 20, or 30+ years either taking early retirement, or leaving for greener pastures.  People like our Athletics maintenance staff who keep the facilities up and running.  Or our Facilities skilled trades folks who know the infrastructure like the back of their hands and help contractors build some of the best buildings on campus (including the the stadium upgrade).  Or our custodians who make just under $18k a year.  That whopping 2% raise nets them an extra $360.00 a year.  They are paid about $986.00 take home once a month if they choose to abstain from any retirement contribution (which as of July 1 is no longer an option because we are now being forced to put 1% into our retirement accounts with an additional 1% being mandatory every year for 5 years).  These are the folks who would rather go out and bust their asses cleaning up after ungrateful assholes, than try to file for disability, or game the entitlement systems.  They are the same folks in line at our campus food bank near the end of every month because it's fucking hard to make $986.00 a month stretch for 30 days and pay your bills without being on food stamps or some other form of welfare.     

I'm probably wasting my time, and have only served to piss you off further, but I felt like I'd give it a shot anyway.  Now in the time honored Woopig tradition, I'd just like to say go fuck yourself.   ;D

Offline Cerdo

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2016, 08:37:50 AM »
I think you guys are talking past each other when you're talking about U of A jobs, as in the administration jobs in academia vs working hourly at the Physical plant. 

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Offline chittlins

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2016, 08:45:07 AM »
Sorry if I triggered a sore spot for you.  What I said came of as entitled and that wasn't my intention.  I'm thankful everyday I come to work that I have a good job and food on the table.  The point I was attempting to make was that we are losing some of our better faculty to schools like A&M and Texas because our faculty pay is some of the lowest in the country.  I don't have kids, but a lot of you do.  I'd like for our University to be a place where our students are taught by great thinkers, scientists, engineers etc.  If we keep faculty like that we enrich the entire state, and prepare our citizens for bigger and better.  The arts & science program just saw a combined 200+ years of teaching experience either retire or leave for greener pastures.  Without competitive salaries we are going to end up with some bottom of the barrel candidates to fill those positions.  I'm not suggesting you can't get a great education here.  I'm suggesting that if they don't improve faculty salaries, that may not be the case much longer.  We don't blink twice when the football coach gets a million dollar raise, but our engineering professor can't get a 4% raise without people being pissed off.

Staff salaries are equally problematic.  The turnover is ridiculously high and it's becoming difficult to retain talented people.  We have folks who have been here 20, or 30+ years either taking early retirement, or leaving for greener pastures.  People like our Athletics maintenance staff who keep the facilities up and running.  Or our Facilities skilled trades folks who know the infrastructure like the back of their hands and help contractors build some of the best buildings on campus (including the the stadium upgrade).  Or our custodians who make just under $18k a year.  That whopping 2% raise nets them an extra $360.00 a year.  They are paid about $986.00 take home once a month if they choose to abstain from any retirement contribution (which as of July 1 is no longer an option because we are now being forced to put 1% into our retirement accounts with an additional 1% being mandatory every year for 5 years).  These are the folks who would rather go out and bust their asses cleaning up after ungrateful assholes, than try to file for disability, or game the entitlement systems.  They are the same folks in line at our campus food bank near the end of every month because it's fucking hard to make $986.00 a month stretch for 30 days and pay your bills without being on food stamps or some other form of welfare.     

I'm probably wasting my time, and have only served to piss you off further, but I felt like I'd give it a shot anyway.  Now in the time honored Woopig tradition, I'd just like to say go fuck yourself.   ;D

Nevermind those custodians can take classes on the cheap and shit. Look if it was about pay, I would have bolted my job long ago. I get flexibility that couldn't dream of at other places that would pay me much more. It's give and take.  I still think Universities are bloated with waste. Let me know when the U of A cuts 10 to 20 percent of it's workforce, maybe the folks left over might be a little more grateful over 2% raises.

And fuck yourself too ;D