Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion  (Read 52270 times)

Offline geohul

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
  • Boar
Re: Former UA Trustees against stadium expansion
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2016, 08:53:23 AM »
Nevermind those custodians can take classes on the cheap and shit.

They actually can't without department approval which some departments will not give.

Look if it was about pay, I would have bolted my job long ago. I get flexibility that couldn't dream of at other places that would pay me much more. It's give and take.  I still think Universities are bloated with waste.

I agree 100% with both parts of this. 

And fuck yourself too ;D
:thumbup:

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:56 AM »
I think you guys are talking past each other when you're talking about U of A jobs, as in the administration jobs in academia vs working hourly at the Physical plant. 

I believe that Administration and Faculty likely has the most waste while the physical plant is understaffed and underpaid, but it's a job and if those jobs compete with "gaming the system" the system needs de-gamed.

We will never compete with the monitor resources of giant state schools like Texas and A&M, they churn out over twice the alumni we would ever hope for. Arkansas needs to get good at replacing with quality up and comers because that will always be a problem.

They actually can't without department approval which some departments will not give.

:thumbup:

Then that's a problem these Pryor folk need to take up cause that's bullshit.

Offline Cerdo

• Despacito
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »

If that is indeed true, it is reprehensible and the person who denies another a chance to better themselves, working in academia of all places, that person needs to be fired and publically shamed. 

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
Board approves 8-2

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
No, no one should ever be guaranteed a raise especially some of the most recession, economic downturn proofed ones. Many Americans have actually seen wages lowered and health care costs rise compared to a bunch of whiney asses bitching about only getting 2 percent every year. Oh boo hoo. If that offends you, too bad.

insurance, parking and mandatory retirement increases coupled with no pay increase = lower salary.  the university isn't just some fantasy land workplace you think it is. 

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
For the uninformed, what does an athletics facility expansion paid for by private donations and bonds that will be repaid by athletic revenue have to do with academic staff pay.

it doesn't.  which is what makes the ad in the demazette quite puzzling.  it appears to have been written by suzy lazyass that doesn't know jackshit, not former trustees of the ua system.

Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
I believe that Administration and Faculty likely has the most waste while the physical plant is understaffed and underpaid, but it's a job and if those jobs compete with "gaming the system" the system needs de-gamed.

We will never compete with the monitor resources of giant state schools like Texas and A&M, they churn out over twice the alumni we would ever hope for. Arkansas needs to get good at replacing with quality up and comers because that will always be a problem.

Then that's a problem these Pryor folk need to take up cause that's bullshit.

you have no clue what you are talking about.  student enrollment has risen 50% over the last 10 years while staff has increased by less than 5%.  there is no widespread waste like you think there is.

If that is indeed true, it is reprehensible and the person who denies another a chance to better themselves, working in academia of all places, that person needs to be fired and publically shamed. 

this part is most certainly true. the BOT gives the abiliity to have cheaper tuition, but it also gives the departments discretion over letting their employees take advantage of the discounts. some departments will not allow them to take classes during work hours or at all, which severely limits their available classes if they are working towards an undergraduate degree.

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »
There are business professors making $300K+ teaching one class who have never worked in industry.

"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2016, 10:51:16 AM »
Board approves 8-2

I don't think there was ever any real question, despite Pryor's opposition, that it was going to pass.  Hell, they'd already picked a general contractor for it. 

I doubt you'll ever see the Trustees vote against anything big that the athletic department wants (except maybe who the general contractor on this particular project is going to be). 

UPDATE: UA Board approves Razorback Stadium expansion over Pryor objections

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:55:06 AM by Law_Hawg »

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
There are business professors making $300K+ teaching one class who have never worked in industry.

False. 

And we have to compete with businesses to keep these people.

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2016, 10:56:28 AM »
If given the choice to watch something online or on cable I pick cable.  I can do picture in picture, record it, rewind plays, etc.  I feel like people think online is the way we are going by choice but it's not.  It's because so many games are not available on cable, yet there are a lot of ESPN/sports alternate channels that seem to never be used, which we as consumers still pay for.  Cable companies list them as available channels.  Don't get me wrong, I like the opportunity to see a game online but depending where I am that can be difficult.

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • King of the Hogs
  • Strict No Tolerance Palsy
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
I doubt you'll ever see the Trustees vote against anything big that the athletic department wants rl]

I doubt you'll ever see the Trustees asked to vote on a matter if Long & Co. haven't already gotten the support of a majority of members.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
I doubt you'll ever see the Trustees asked to vote on a matter if Long & Co. haven't already gotten the support of a majority of members.

Good point.

Except for that general contractor thing. 

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »
If given the choice to watch something online or on cable I pick cable.  I can do picture in picture, record it, rewind plays, etc.  I feel like people think online is the way we are going by choice but it's not.  It's because so many games are not available on cable, yet there are a lot of ESPN/sports alternate channels that seem to never be used, which we as consumers still pay for.  Cable companies list them as available channels.  Don't get me wrong, I like the opportunity to see a game online but depending where I am that can be difficult.

I'm with you, i'd much rather watch on tv in my living room.  its the millenials' fault.  those little entitled fuckers can't put their phones down.

Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »

A slew of pay raises were also approved today.  I didn't realize Jimmy Dykes makes so much more than Dave Van Horn. 

By way of example: Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz's base pay was moved to $450,000 (with deferred compensation the job is worth more than $700,000 according to the contract he signed when hired).

By way of comparison, the maximum pay list approved today (the figures include potential bonuses for post-season wins) included:

* $1.865 million for Athletic Director Jeff Long

* $4.6 million for football coach Bret Bielema

* $3.05 million for basketball coach Mike Anderson

* $933,333 for football offensive coordinator Dan Enos.

* $453,333 for strength and conditioning coach Ben Herbert

* $400,000 for assistant football coach Barry Lunney

* $413,333 for assistant football coach Reginald Mitchell

* $466,667 for assistant football coach Paul Rhoads

* $533,333 for assistant football coach Michael Smith

* $1,066,667 for Robert Smith, football defensive coordinator.

* $832,000 for women's basketball coach Jimmy Dykes.

* $588,600 for baseball coach Dave Van Horn

Elsewhere, Todd Shields, dean of the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences will now knock down $257,452, but he need not win any post-season games to attain that maximum.

G. David Gearhart, the former chancellor, was bumped to $343,248 for a nine-month contract beginning Aug. 15.

After stadium vote, dozens of pay raises for athletics

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Boar
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »

Disagree.  Not a gamer at all.  Got Sling because about the only thing I watch is live sports, and it's cheap with no contract so I can drop it when Razorback baseball is over and pick it up again when football season starts.  While you probably can't do pic-in-pic or record, a lot of networks offer video-on-demand and have rewind/pause features so there is some flexibility there and will likely improve as more people cross over.

I'm with you, i'd much rather watch on tv in my living room.  its the millenials' fault.  those little entitled fuckers can't put their phones down.

You can watch online services on your TV (except maybe if you're still using an old Curtis Mathes).  I don't even have a "mobile device."

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Boar
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
A slew of pay raises were also approved today.  I didn't realize Jimmy Dykes makes so much more than Dave Van Horn. 

Seems a travesty at first blush, but I wonder if DVH makes a lot more "outside income" than Dykes.

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline NotoriousPIG

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »
Of all those Strength and Conditioning coach at 400k seems like the best deal.  Probably  a bit more stable even if new coaches typically bring in their own guy but less pressure for sure.

Offline geohul

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
  • Boar
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »

After stadium vote, dozens of pay raises for athletics
00)

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »
False. 

And we have to compete with businesses to keep these people.
Truth. Can think of a few just off the top of my head. Never worked in industry and teach one class. Spend the rest of their time on research bc that's how the Princeton Review assigns rankings. Almost everything I know was through pounding the pavement making my own contacts and real world experience. 90% of the kids who contact me ab jobs hardly know a thing.

"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
Truth. Can think of a few just off the top of my head. Never worked in industry and teach one class. Spend the rest of their time on research bc that's how the Princeton Review assigns rankings. Almost everything I know was through pounding the pavement making my own contacts and real world experience. 90% of the kids who contact me ab jobs hardly know a thing.

the only people in WCOB that make over 300k are the dean and a couple of the department chairs. Department chairs, while faculty, are mostly administrative so if they happen to teach 1 class that's a luxury for the department.  run of the mill faculty do not come close to that.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Likes doing hoodrat stuff with his friends.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 01:25:38 PM »

Yeah that's not correct.

"Lemme guess.. when you shake hands you offer a FIRM grip don't you.. or you think dick size matters? LMMFAO! nobody can do nothing about what your born with, and God gives everyone exactly what they need, your heart is the only thing that matters...Plus, my dicks little, but ask anybody that's kicked it in the sack with me and they'll tell you whats up.."

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Likes doing hoodrat stuff with his friends.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
Truth. Can think of a few just off the top of my head.

Names please.  And understand any names you list can be verified.

"Lemme guess.. when you shake hands you offer a FIRM grip don't you.. or you think dick size matters? LMMFAO! nobody can do nothing about what your born with, and God gives everyone exactly what they need, your heart is the only thing that matters...Plus, my dicks little, but ask anybody that's kicked it in the sack with me and they'll tell you whats up.."

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »

My community college, U of A, and Memphis State educated Brother has ivy leaugers working under him that he rants about all the time.

HogHead McCormick

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
Can you watch Vue in a browser on your pc?
It's not real clear on their site if that is possible.