Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Random Legal Question - Deed in Lieu  (Read 7685 times)

Offline razorwire

• Boar
  • woopig.net 3.0
Re: Random Legal Question - Deed in Lieu
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Most areas have stormwater regulations that require new development to keep all or most of their stormwater runoff on-site for particular sized storms.  However, it is not a perfect solution.  Get a big enough storm like 30 to 40 inches of rain in 24 to 48 hours (Columbia, SC last year) and a lot of people are going to get wet.  In your case, it sounds like the municipal collection system is not large enough to handle even typical storms.  New construction is suppose to prove with calculations, that the receiving system is capable of handling the addition flow.  Curious to know whether that was done.  Even when everything is done properly, there are other issues like trash in the collection system or beavers blocking the outfalls which cause upstream flooding.    Good luck.

Offline goporkyourself

• cool side of the pillow
  • King of the Hogs
  • having a good week of practice
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Most areas have stormwater regulations that require new development to keep all or most of their stormwater runoff on-site for particular sized storms.  However, it is not a perfect solution.  Get a big enough storm like 30 to 40 inches of rain in 24 to 48 hours (Columbia, SC last year) and a lot of people are going to get wet.  In your case, it sounds like the municipal collection system is not large enough to handle even typical storms.  New construction is suppose to prove with calculations, that the receiving system is capable of handling the addition flow.  Curious to know whether that was done.  Even when everything is done properly, there are other issues like trash in the collection system or beavers blocking the outfalls which cause upstream flooding.    Good luck.

yeah, its not adequate. but there might be an option or two. i have a couple ideas and i'm meeting with a civil engineer next week.

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »
fwiw the civil i met with this morning thinks the city drain is probably undersized for the run off. probably no solution for a flash flood event that i can put in without the drain being addressed.

great.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
for what I get paid to give hand jobs behind the CVS the civil i met with this morning thinks the city drain is probably undersized for the run off. probably no solution for a flash flood event that i can put in without the drain being addressed.

great.

Did you ever get this figured out?  I'd almost never recommend a deed in lieu nowadays, especially with Arvest.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
Did you ever get this figured out?  I'd almost never recommend a deed in lieu nowadays, especially with Arvest.

yeah, i paid a civil engineer $400 to take some pictures and give me the dumbest fucking advice i've ever heard and then he tried to get me to agree to a project that would have cost me probably $10,000. i did get some useful information from their analysis that gave me some ideas. sometimes engineers piss me off and i work with enough of them to know they are some really smart idiots at times. basically the guy wanted me to have a construction company regrade the whole back yard and create some 1 foot deep by 4 foot wide ditches to divert the flow of the water away from the house. would have required permitting, city inspection, all kinds of red tape. i'd have to re-sod the whole back yard afterwards as well.

his answer to many of my questions was along the lines of "i've been doing this a long time, trust me."

so, i'm going to probably have a guy put in some drainage on the N side of the house and reinforce the water barriers i've built to protect the doors.

Offline Iron Butterfly

• Nothing matters and what if it did
  • A Shoat
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »
yeah, i paid a civil engineer $400 to take some pictures and give me the dumbest fucking advice i've ever heard and then he tried to get me to agree to a project that would have cost me probably $10,000. i did get some useful information from their analysis that gave me some ideas. sometimes engineers piss me off and i work with enough of them to know they are some really smart idiots at times. basically the guy wanted me to have a construction company regrade the whole back yard and create some 1 foot deep by 4 foot wide ditches to divert the flow of the water away from the house. would have required permitting, city inspection, all kinds of red tape. i'd have to re-sod the whole back yard afterwards as well.

his answer to many of my questions was along the lines of "i've been doing this a long time, trust me."

so, i'm going to probably have a guy put in some drainage on the N side of the house and reinforce the water barriers i've built to protect the doors.

I had a somewhat similar situation with a house I owned.  The city had altered a curb to turn storm drainage off the street, into a ditch with became a "creek" on property that I owned.  Most of the lot was unusable because of this.  It wasn't attractive, bred mosquitos, and was almost inaccessible.  I discovered that the city is responsible for storm drainage.  I called the street superintendent to come take a look.  He said "well, it's been like that for a long time, nothing we can do, Also, I'm sexually attracted to coat hangers.".  I called the city attorney and told him what was going on and asked if the city could be held liable in a lawsuit over this.  He said, "it's possible".  The next day, the street super and the mayor show up telling me all they're going to do to repair the situation.  Long story short, culverts were installed, fill dirt brought in and the place was inhabitable.  Don't know how that helps you, but good luck.