Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Benintendi in the Big Show  (Read 50081 times)

Offline cotte

• Retired Woopig Softballah and Evidently Admin
  • King of the Hogs
Benintendi in the Big Show
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »

We're going to pick em up when they come off the damn bus. We gonna guard people.
Mike Anderson - March 26th, 2011

Online Rick B.

• King of the Hogs
Re: Benintendi in the Big Show
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
Man, is that not like an EXTREMELY fast ascent to the bigs? 

Offline HogNrock

• Boar
  • McHeisman pose
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »

I read somewhere he is the first Red Sox player since Fred Lynn (from the early 70's) to reach the majors within 1 year of being drafted.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
I read somewhere he is the first Red Sox player since Fred Lynn (from the early 70's) to reach the majors within 1 year of being drafted.
Well, it's been almost 14 months after being drafted.
That's not within a year....   semantics, I guess.

I know it's not unprecedented rise for a college player, hell Bregman has been up with the Astros after being drafted 5 spots ahead of Benintendi.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:09:31 PM by Stephen Colboar »
I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Online Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »

9 things you need to know about Andrew Benintendi

His rapid rise through the Red Sox minor league system concluded with a 63-game stint with the Portland Sea Dogs in Double-A. Despite being more than three years younger than the average player at that level, Benintendi impressed the Red Sox enough for vice president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to promote him straight to the major league roster, forgoing Triple-A Pawtucket altogether. Dombrowski had previously stated his confidence that players can transition from Double-A to the MLB.

Offline HogNrock

• Boar
  • McHeisman pose
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:09:28 PM »
Well, it's been almost 14 months after being drafted.
That's not within a year....   semantics, I guess.

Agreed, I guess they were referring to being called up the calendar year after being drafted and not necessarily 12 mos.

Offline Cobbler

• Wild Hog
  • Love that helmet!!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:21:25 PM »
Bregman has been up with the Astros after being drafted 5 spots ahead of Benintendi.

And Benintendi already has more hits! Bregman has started his MLB career by going 1-32 through his first eight games.  :stunned:

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
Agreed, I guess they were referring to being called up the calendar year after being drafted and not necessarily 12 mos.

Agreed.  He also got a bit of a late start since he participated in the College World Series after being drafted, but it has been actually 14 months since he was drafted, and I think he will actually be eligible for rookie of the year consideration next season not this one (even if he bats .500 and hits 30 HR's this year.  I could be wrong, but I think the All Star Break is the determining factor on such things.

Now, I'm not saying his 2 for 5 in 2 games is setting the world on fire, but the boy has been known to do so at all levels.  Just sayin'

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
Agreed.  He also got a bit of a late start since he participated in the College World Series after being drafted, but it has been actually 14 months since he was drafted, and I think he will actually be eligible for rookie of the year consideration next season not this one (even if he bats .500 and hits 30 HR's this year.  I could be wrong, but I think the All Star Break is the determining factor on such things.

Now, I'm not saying his 2 for 5 in 2 games is setting the world on fire, but the boy has been known to do so at all levels.  Just sayin'

His first hit last night was a tough pitch to hit. Gwynn-esque impressiveness.

<--- I'm with him

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »

130 plate appearances or 45 days on the active roster excluding September call ups.  Those are the rookie eligibility limits. 

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • The sweetest nectar
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:48:14 PM »
He could retire right now as a .400 career hitter.    ::)

Platooning and batting 9th will certainly make for an easier transition, if they stick with that plan.  He'll probably get plenty of playing time through the rest of the season, although probably not any postseason experience the way the Sox are trending. 

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 04:21:20 PM »
He could retire right now as a .400 career hitter.    ::)

My son has a buddy who played in the first game of the 7th grade season.  He came into the game in the 4th quarter and hit a layup.  He "retired" the next day to concentrate on just football.  Retired at 1.000.  That's some kind of legacy.

Offline Hawgwild8988

• Boar
  • e pluribus sooie
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »
Platooning and batting 9th will certainly make for an easier transition, if they stick with that plan.

I don't agree with this. They are handcuffing him and delaying his eventual catching up of pitchers from both sides of the mound. It took him about 3 1/2 weeks to get acclimated to AA pitching.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • The sweetest nectar
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
I don't agree with this. They are handcuffing him and delaying his eventual catching up of pitchers from both sides of the mound. It took him about 3 1/2 weeks to get acclimated to AA pitching.

For such a big jump to the bigs, I think it makes sense.  And even moreso for a later season call-up.  It's not a good permanent solution.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »
This isn't comparable to a run-of-the-mill september call up.
He's likely going to be on the ML roster for a 1/3 of the season.

He's platooning in LF. There's probably an argument there that it's stalling his development vs LHP, but Farrell also hasn't ruled out giving him a bigger role than what he's getting right now.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »
This isn't comparable to a run-of-the-mill september call up.
He's likely going to be on the ML roster for a 1/3 of the season.

He's platooning in LF. There's probably an argument there that it's stalling his development vs LHP, but Farrell also hasn't ruled out giving him a bigger role than what he's getting right now.

I agree with what you're saying on development, but Farrell's words are promising.

I'm sure there are stats that will prove me wrong, but I was thinking Benny hit LHP in college almost as well, maybe as well or better, as RHP.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Maybe Farrell could care less about Benintendi's future and is just trying to make his team better now?  As often as prospects get traded, I wouldn't blame him.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline USAFHawg

• Boar
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 02:50:38 PM »
I agree with what you're saying on development, but Farrell's words are promising.

I'm sure there are stats that will prove me wrong, but I was thinking Benny hit LHP in college almost as well, maybe as well or better, as RHP.

According to this he hit .326 vs lefties in Portland.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2016/08/might_andrew_benintendi_start.html

Offline Hawgwild8988

• Boar
  • e pluribus sooie
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »
Another night that Benintendi isn't in the starting lineup.

Offline Humphrey BOARgart

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
He's in the lineup today. Game starts at 3 on Fox Sports 1

Online razor5396

• Tush Hog
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 08:27:28 PM »
3 for 3 with 2 RBIs and a stolen base at the Dodgers in the 6th.

Online Mike Slive

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
3 for 3 with 2 RBIs and a stolen base at the Dodgers in the 6th.

Fire VanHorn.  :stache:

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Another night that Benintendi isn't in the starting lineup.
Farrell knows what he's doing here.
You can't rush the progress of a guy who just skipped AAA.
He's making sure to play him as much as he can in spots where he has the best chances at success and working in the look at more challenging AB's from there.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
Farrell knows what he's doing here.
You can't rush the progress of a guy who just skipped AAA.
He's making sure to play him as much as he can in spots where he has the best chances at success and working in the look at more challenging AB's from there.

Surely the coach doesn't know better, lol.

I watched most of the game.  I wondered when the Dodgers brought in the lefty if Farrell would swap him out.  He didn't.  Benny got down 0-2 with 2 pretty decent swings, took a couple of low ones, and then had his 3rd single of the night. On his 4th at bat he flied out.  Not sure if he got up again, as I switched over to the Olympics.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • The sweetest nectar
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
Surely the coach doesn't know better, lol.

I watched most of the game.  I wondered when the Dodgers brought in the lefty if Farrell would swap him out.  He didn't.  Benny got down 0-2 with 2 pretty decent swings, took a couple of low ones, and then had his 3rd single of the night. On his 4th at bat he flied out.  Not sure if he got up again, as I switched over to the Olympics.

No that was it.

4 1 3 2 is an impressive line, platoon or not.

Add the fact that he's now only had 3 strikeouts in 15 AB, and I'd say the transition is going fairly well.