Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Austin Allen's tool is bigger than yours  (Read 92151 times)

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
Re: Austin Allen's tool is bigger than yours
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »
damn.

Yeah.  I heard some talking head yesterday at some point in my hours-long journey say that he is the 5th or 6th best in the country.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Online The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #251 on: September 28, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »
Our QB is our best player by far and receiver is our best position by far.  Prepare a game plan accordingly, Bert.

Offline Mike Slive

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »
Our QB is our best player by far and receiver is our best position by far.  Prepare a game plan accordingly, Bert.

And our weakness is the oline so yea Bert, get your best player kilt.

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • K.Briles darksider #2.
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »

We gonna run.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

I think we all know which poster you're talking about.

Online The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
And our weakness is the oline so yea Bert, get your best player kilt.

Yeah, Skip Holtz is able to implement a game plan to keep his backup QB from getting killed but it beyond Bert and crew.  You're right.  We need to run more into eight and nine man fronts.

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »
We should go four and five wide and make other teams cover us and then of course do some run stuff. We can't block because our guys aren't picking up the stunts and so forth. We have guys giving up one and one as well but I kind of think that would go away if we weren't dealing a packed box.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
From the QB article linked above:

[Allen] has been under pressure on 40 percent of his dropbacks, the second-highest rate in the nation, and 63.3 percent of his passing yards have come in the air – the fifth-highest rate in the nation, and a sign that he isn’t just racking up stats with short throws that produce big gains after the catch. (emphasis added)

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
Yeah, Skip Holtz is able to implement a game plan to keep his backup QB from getting killed but it beyond Bert and crew.  You're right.  We need to run more into eight and nine man fronts.

Didn't his QB get kilt by us?

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Online The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
Didn't his QB get kilt by us?

Not until they damned near beat us with an inferior team.

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »

I don't disagree with that but your argument should be amended. We knocked their QB out of the our game, late, and the next game.

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Strict No Tolerance Palsy
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2016, 12:44:32 PM »

Thank God for Tejada.

Offline MDEM

• Hater
  • Tush Hog
  • Repulsive Degenerate
« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
We knocked their QB out of the our game, late, and the next game.

You're talking to Whyte Boar.  Facts got nothing do with it.

This is a high quality post.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »

[Allen] has been under pressure on 40 percent of his dropbacks, the second-highest rate in the nation, and 63.3 percent of his passing yards have come in the air – the fifth-highest rate in the nation, and a sign that he isn’t just racking up stats with short throws that produce big gains after the catch. (emphasis added)

Part of this is no doubt predictability of playcalling.  When you're not running well on 1st and 2nd down and consistently getting in 3rd and longs where your QB has to make a play, he's going to take a lot of hits.  That last game I would bet 75% of the time he took hard hits it was on 3rd and 8 or more.

Online BiggusPiggus

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »
Part of this is no doubt predictability of playcalling. 

run on first down
play action on second down

if third and long, shotgun pass
if third and medium, straight drop pass
if third and short, run

Enos is usually (goal line vs A&M not withstanding) great at calling the right plays; we almost always seem to have someone open. Our WR routes are Petrino-level sharp. But the actual formula of them is very predictable.

(not that Biggus Piggus)

Online The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
You're talking to Whyte Boar.  Facts got nothing do with it.

All hail Bert.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #265 on: September 28, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »

This is really impressive.  Honestly, over a full season it would be AA worthy.  Don't worry, I'm not getting ahead of myself. 

If you read it the other way, it means we're not getting many yards after the catch.  I've seen our WR's get every yard they can after the catch, and they're pretty good at it - Morgan and Cornelius especially.  You don't really see them ever step out of bounds.  I saw Kirk do it, Seals-Jones do it, I see guys on a weekly basis do that.  Cornelius could have done it on the 25 or 30 the time he ended up inside the 10, but he did a masterful job of staying inbounds.

Anyway, it just makes what Allen has done more impressive.  He hasn't gotten the YAC that his brother did throwing to Reed in a few games last year.  Good news is, we didn't get him really involved until about game 5 last year so there's still time.  :)

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Online BiggusPiggus

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2016, 02:54:06 PM »
 Razorback Football ✔ @RazorbackFB

Allen becomes the first QB to toss multiple TD passes in each of the first 5 games of a season for Arkansas since it joined the SEC in '92.
11:42 AM - 1 Oct 2016

(not that Biggus Piggus)

Offline Arkansas Proud

• King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2016, 12:03:22 AM »
Razorback Football ✔ @RazorbackFB

Allen becomes the first QB to toss multiple TD passes in each of the first 5 games of a season for Arkansas since it joined the SEC in '92.
11:42 AM - 1 Oct 2016

A ha!  That's why he was in when it was 38-10 and out of reach.

I'd bet this streak doesn't continue next week, but it will need to if we have any chance of winning.  I really, really hope Bert realizes that you HAVE to throw the ball to beat Bama.  Nobody beats them 17-14 in a slugfest other than LSU (and yes, I was at the 2014 game).  The good teams that beat them throw the ball now.  Or at least throw to set up the run.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2016, 12:17:18 AM »
A ha!  That's why he was in when it was 38-10 and out of reach.

I'd bet this streak doesn't continue next week, but it will need to if we have any chance of winning.  I really, really hope Bert realizes that you HAVE to throw the ball to beat Bama.  Nobody beats them 17-14 in a slugfest other than LSU (and yes, I was at the 2014 game).  The good teams that beat them throw the ball now.  Or at least throw to set up the run.

We have two position groups that are head and shoulders above our competition most games - Allen and a great WR corps.  Our only chance against a team like Bama is to use them.  Running should be to keep them honest, we aren't going to wear Bama down.

Offline GolfingHog

• Tush Hog
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2016, 12:53:20 AM »
We have two position groups that are head and shoulders above our competition most games - Allen and a great WR corps.  Our only chance against a team like Bama is to use them.  Running should be to keep them honest, we aren't going to wear Bama down.

I agree for the most part, but the receivers are not at the level they were last year...yet. We're missing the deep threat of Reed and he seems stuck in the twilight zone. I definitely think we should throw to set up the run next week.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
I agree for the most part, but the receivers are not at the level they were last year...yet. We're missing the deep threat of Reed and he seems stuck in the twilight zone. I definitely think we should throw to set up the run next week.

Having Hatcher back gives us a big advantage.  He and Morgan are both outstanding and tough for corners to handle one on one and that lets you match Cornelius against a SS/LB in the slot and he's awful fast to have to cover.

Reed's failure to develop sucks, I agree.  If he were what he is capable of being we'd be so much better.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #271 on: October 02, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
Having Hatcher back gives us a big advantage.  He and Morgan are both outstanding and tough for corners to handle one on one and that lets you match Cornelius against a SS/LB in the slot and he's awful fast to have to cover.

Reed's failure to develop sucks, I agree.  If he were what he is capable of being we'd be so much better.

Cornelius has turned into a stud. Some of his catches against A&M were incredible.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Tush Hog
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2016, 08:37:56 AM »
Not to start a "I wish we would win a national championship instead of having a bunch of "good kids" kind of discussion," but I really appreciate this kind of stuff.  Although I usually am able to spend all day cruising the internets, this is all I saw.  I watched the video yesterday, can't find it now.  AA and a couple of the other guys had a sweet conversation with Keagan about superheroes.  My frien that saw this take place in person said Coach B used this encounter in the team meeting, and got very emotional pointing out to the guys they need to understand how blessed they are, and to take advantage of what they have.  Keagan has had 14 major operations so far to deal with his cancer. 

Offline SoldierSooie

• Tush Hog
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
Not to start a "I wish we would win a national championship instead of having a bunch of "good kids" kind of discussion," but I really appreciate this kind of stuff.  Although I usually am able to spend all day cruising the internets, this is all I saw.  I watched the video yesterday, can't find it now.  AA and a couple of the other guys had a sweet conversation with Keagan about superheroes.  My frien that saw this take place in person said Coach B used this encounter in the team meeting, and got very emotional pointing out to the guys they need to understand how blessed they are, and to take advantage of what they have.  Keagan has had 14 major operations so far to deal with his cancer. 

My gf is a nurse at Children's and knows this kid. An amazing little guy. There's a video out there of him meeting the players and BB before the picture was taken. Awesome to watch.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Tush Hog
« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2016, 11:47:50 AM »
My gf is a nurse at Children's and knows this kid. An amazing little guy. There's a video out there of him meeting the players and BB before the picture was taken. Awesome to watch.

They pulled the video.  I'm assuming the NCAA may have guidelines, or the family pulled the video.  No clue why.  Brooks Ellis, Austin Allen, Kody Walker, and Dan Skipper visit with him.  Skipper gives him "knucks" and Keagen makes him do it again because he forgot to "blow it up."  He tells Austin and Brooks his favorite superhero is Ironman because  (as he holds his open palms up) "he can zap people."