Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register.

Author Topic: Dentists/orthodontists/toof-people? Yank?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • King of the Hogs
Dentists/orthodontists/toof-people? Yank?
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:14:12 AM »
I'm not looking for a full assessment here, and I know such things are impossible based upon vague message-board descriptions anyway.  So I fully expect a rather wishy-washy type answer, but, you know.  Fuck it.

I have a wicked overbite.  I know this because when I was about 13 or so I recall my dentist saying once "man, you've got a wicked overbite."  That's the only time I ever remember it being brought up.  I didn't really give a shit at the time and didn't really think about it.  Then, in 8th or 9th grade, I had a couple of guys give me a hard time about it for about 60 seconds, and, I've never really admitted this before, but, I've been kind of self-conscious about it ever since.  Not devastatingly so, I've put together a pretty kick ass life and am relatively well adjusted, all things considered, but it's just kind of a nagging itch.  Until I see pictures that include a profile view of my face/head.  Then I'm like "oh-holy-jesus-christ-i-look-like-a-real-life-simpsons-character" for a day or two until I forget about it.

To the point; is it common for people to have such things addressed in their forty-ish years?  Or is that completely ridiculous?  I suspect it's a jaw issue and not a simple fix, but I'm not sure.  And again, I can ask my dentist when I see him, I'm just looking for some vague spit-balling in the meantime.  Grassy-ass.

Offline Boar Bidet

• King of the Hogs
  • Formerly known as Swahili Steve
Re: Dentists/orthodontists/toof-people? Yank?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:25:34 AM »
You probably can treat it with Invisalign. I'm currently using invivislign to correct my bite which had shifted from grinding which then also caused teeth to shift. Is it annoying at times...sure and currently I'm supposed to wear rubber bands with it but it's 10 months and done. And no real braces and no drilling into my teeth. Cost me around $5k.

Offline hogslobber

• Boar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:52:26 PM »
that type of overbite/overjet is a skeletal issue that is best dealt with before the growth is complete.

This why you will often see younger kids in an initial phase of ortho.

After the bones are mature it is more likely to be a surgical case.

You need to be evaluated by an orthodontist, and if you are in NWA, I can help with that referral.

Invisalign is good for some cases, but it is limited with what can be done.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »
After the bones are mature it is more likely to be a surgical case.

You need to be evaluated by an orthodontist,

That's what I suspected; I don't really have the time or the money for that right now, but I am in NWA, and when I'm in better position, I'll keep you in mind.  Thanks for your input!