Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Car/Truck stereo knowers abouters  (Read 1462 times)

Offline capnthog

• Poorly qualified to represent the LBC.
  • Boar
Car/Truck stereo knowers abouters
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
They boy has an old 2002 Z71 pickup.  For Christmas, he wants the old stock speakers that crack and pop replaced, and a new deck with Bluetooth.

Back in 1987 I could wire up stuff like that with the best of them.  But now I get frustrated and cuss a lot changing the batteries out of the remote.

The speakers are in the doors, which throws me off. I've never removed door panels before.

Is this doable as a home project?  Anyone recommend a car audio place in Central Ar? 

Not trying to drop an arm and a leg on a system for a truck with 200,000 miles.
Eat me.

Offline goporkyourself

• cool side of the pillow
  • King of the Hogs
  • having a good week of practice
Re: Car/Truck stereo knowers abouters
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »
The speakers don't just pop out with a couple screws?

Offline asshat

• not just any asshat
  • Boar
  • Hates all things Auburn
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
A fucking for the AGES. Gutless motherfuckers every one of them, from the replay man to the entire officials crew.  May the faggot, cowardly bastards rot in hell.  Gutless fucking pussies.

Offline Joe Swine

• Brass it out, Danny!
  • King of the Hogs
  • I don't want my feelings restrained
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:16:09 PM »
I've done Toyota trucks and SUV's.  Wiring harness adapters are available for whatever stereo you buy.  You might pay a little more, but using Crutchfield makes it easy.

http://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

Offline capnthog

• Boar
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 01:31:29 PM »
I've done Toyota trucks and SUV's.  Wiring harness adapters are available for whatever stereo you buy.  You might pay a little more, but using Crutchfield makes it easy.

Now that's what I was looking for.  That takes all the guess work out.

:beer:
Eat me.

Online Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »

This

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 06:42:30 PM »
What body is on your kids truck?  He needs a sub.  Car stereo stuff is cheap these days.  What is your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline capnthog

• Boar
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 10:30:41 PM »
What body is on your kids truck?  He needs a sub.  Car stereo stuff is cheap these days.  What is your budget.

Extended cab.  Don't know if he needs a sub though. His go to radio station is the wolf.

Was thinking 500-700
Eat me.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
Car/Truck stereo knowers abouters
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 12:57:06 AM »
If your truck was a normal vehicle  you could go with a doubleDin DVD head unit with all the fixings, an amp, speakers and nice sub and get change.  Your truck not so much.  That Old GM Din and a half was ok then but its complicated now.  A dash kit for your truck to convert to double Din is at least $150 alone.

You can still do ok.  Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Alpine are all great head units.  $179 will get you a single DIN CD unit that is bluetooth, has USB inputs, 6 channel preouts, and all the iPhone iPod goodies.  Add two pair of great 6.5" speakers.  You can go with a good 4 channel amp and be under budget.

A sub in that truck will take a custom enclosure, $300 and up with a pair of 10's.  He can add that later.

You can do yourself but take the truck to a couple of shops and see what they say. They will have good ideas.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:01:59 AM by TexZilla »

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 08:13:08 AM »
If your truck was a normal vehicle  you could go with a doubleDin DVD head unit with all the fixings, an amp, speakers and nice sub and get change.  Your truck not so much.  That Old GM Din and a half was ok then but its complicated now.  A dash kit for your truck to convert to double Din is at least $150 alone.

You can still do ok.  Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Alpine are all great head units.  $179 will get you a single DIN CD unit that is bluetooth, has USB inputs, 6 channel preouts, and all the iPhone iPod goodies.  Add two pair of great 6.5" speakers.  You can go with a good 4 channel amp and be under budget.

A sub in that truck will take a custom enclosure, $300 and up with a pair of 10's.  He can add that later.

You can do yourself but take the truck to a couple of shops and see what they say. They will have good ideas.

I got an old 02 Ford f150 supercrew. Paid 26,500 new for it. It's been paid off for 9years. I can not  bring myself to spend 40,000 for new one that ai know will go thru mud and grown up roads. It's got 130,000 on it but runs great. The seats need redone and a paint job wouldn't hurt. I'vebeen looking at the Double DIN head units with nav and all the Bluetooth and back up camera shit the car has to bring that up to date. I figure I can drop 5,000 on all the above stuff and a little more on the mechanical side like new rotors, belts and stuff and I'd be happy with it for another 5 years till the son gets it. The wife wants a 7 seater SUV, so that would prevent having two payments over the same cause a man without truck is an incomplete man.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »

I got an old 02 Ford f150 supercrew. Paid 26,500 new for it. It's been paid off for 9years. I can not  bring myself to spend 40,000 for new one that ai know will go thru mud and grown up roads. It's got 130,000 on it but runs great. The seats need redone and a paint job wouldn't hurt. I'vebeen looking at the Double DIN head units with nav and all the Bluetooth and back up camera shit the car has to bring that up to date. I figure I can drop 5,000 on all the above stuff and a little more on the mechanical side like new rotors, belts and stuff and I'd be happy with it for another 5 years till the son gets it. The wife wants a 7 seater SUV, so that would prevent having two payments over the same cause a man without truck is an incomplete man.

Unless you are doing a serious resto of the truck look into a wrap.  Could be cheaper than a average paint job.

Offline Satch

• brings nothing to the discussion.
  • Boar
  • a moron who knows only what he reads on Woopig.net
    • https://www.hogblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/1964-Razorback-Logo.png
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 08:58:40 PM »
Just in case you are still looking for info.
I'm assuming the tahoe is very similar if not exactly the same, for the videos below.

head unit
I'm extremely picky about my head units.  I loved this one so much the first time I bought it, I bought a second one to install.
It has auto EQ and time alignment options for the people that are interested in that stuff.  plenty of input options like BT and USB, Aux in the front, CD player.  All the standards that you expect.
This is an amazing unit
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13080PRS/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS.html?search=deh80prs&skipvs=T

List of Speakers that should fit.
Probably the best option for simplicity would be the Sony or Alpine coaxial options..
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_52000/6-1-2-Speakers.html?tp=95&l=C#&avf=Y&price=140-310

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8ujWtTSDsgy/learn/1999-02-chevrolet-silverado-1500-extended-cab.html

https://youtu.be/81Lb6xDm0Ig?t=9s

https://youtu.be/4Pc-tm_gJGY?t=9s

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:04:47 PM by Satch »
A Samuel L Bronkowitz production

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 32 queries.