Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

Should Jeff Long be fired tonight?

Oh hell yes.
144 (78.3%)
Fuck no, we love pepsi.
40 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 183

Author Topic: Jeff Long. Fire him or keep him  (Read 37775 times)

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
Re: Jeff Long. Fire him or keep him
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »
So what I'm reading is you guys want another complete nuclear attack, and start over from scratch?

I'm by no means happy with the current state of Razorback football or basketball. Jeff Long has me scratching my head over some decisions, but his tweet yesterday makes sense.

Firing the head coach right now is just as bad as what happened just 4 years ago. Bielema's job is safe. He is at the point of needing to re-fit his staff, but with the way recruiting works, he almost has to wait until signing day to drop the guillotine.

The AD's job is to sometimes play the Iraqi All is Well guy. Long said there would be changes. I'm betting there will be some firings. Maybe the help we want is still involved in finishing their commitment to their current job.

I'm highly doubting Coach B is actually happy with the way his team is performing. He's dropped veiled hints, but he can't just say "that Robb Smith has got to go" yet.

Pork Ryan and I pointed out earlier how over half the top 25 teams had coaches who had been there 3 years or less. Firing an AD would have even less of an impact. We could get just about anyone to come in and do the job Long is doing without the self-promotion.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »
The onus is on Jeff Long now going forward. Lots of fan bases bitch about their AD relentlessly to no avail. When it comes down to it, their jobs are a lot more involved and a lot more complex than just wins or losses. We can bitch and moan about a contract extension or buyout numbers, but none of those really means anything yet. Bielema was always going to get time to build this program back from the ground up, because it was in a total mess after a shit-show and a lame duck year. He was always going to get a "fair shake" at this position, which the extension was likely intended to be a good faith indicator of.

Whether you agree with that or not doesn't matter. It is what it is. Scan across different fan messageboards in the conference and you'll see a lot of the same. A lot of folks also rant on and on about win totals in [insert year here] and compare them to other places here and there. Without context, it's worthless. Are there similar situations to ours that were handled better? Sure. There were also many more that were worse. A quick trigger is always risky from a numbers-standpoint off of a rebuild, though. Plus, for us at least, the talent on the roster really just wasn't or isn't there to levy demonstrably high expectations, yet. 

As we've now strung off three seasons of .500 or better, the "clean up" or whatever you want to call it is done. The program is in good enough shape to expect better results going forward. At the end of the year, you have to look at where you are in relation to your opponents. With all the money being thrown at the coaches in this league and this division, specifically, something has to give. Either these schools start paying less or they start adjusting their expectations in relation to what they're paying for. Every school can't pay $3 million per year and expect 8+ wins. The math doesn't work out. There are going to be several disappointed fan bases every year. Unless Nick Saban is your coach, you just have to hope that you aren't one of the disappointed ones more often than not.

In regards to expectations or disappointment, I don't like looking at just the W-L columns without context like so many do. It's entirely possible to have a 10-win season that feels empty. You can also have a 7-6 season in this league that has a positive outlook.

This one wasn't positive.

I don't begrudge anyone that wants or expects more than what we got this season. The program is healthy enough to expect more effort than what we saw in at least 4 or 5 contests this season. I don't know if there is a voice that is missing that resonated with players before or if the overall mentality of the program has gone stale, but something is amiss. After watching the mental toughness and effort seemingly deteriorate before our eyes throughout the season, there should be changes and we should see quick progress moving in the other direction.

Hiccups are to be expected along the way sometimes. That's no surprise. The good coaches and programs adjust, build off of and move forward from them, though. Is that the direction that this staff takes? Or, to borrow a metaphor from this year, was this season just the beginning of the second half of the Bielema era?

The TL;DR summary that avoids my disjointed narcissistic babble: Going forward, we should expect a lot more effort and organization than we got this year. If it doesn't improve, Long needs to think about who the right people are to do that.

I really hope Hillary can run in 2016 and wins

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
By motorcycle.

Motorcycles don't kill programs; Bobby Petrinos kill programs. #nra

Offline upine

• A Shoat
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2017, 05:04:11 PM »
Slow.
Fundamentally unsound.
Weak.
Full of quit.
No halftime adjustments.
Low endurance.
Sitting on leads in the first half.
Insulted coaches all across Texas; damaging recruiting in the process.

Yep, Big 10 ball with a Nutt at the helm, and a massive buyout.  How the hell did we get here?

Right on, right on.

And it shows that even if we had 5 star talent they would piss in the ground by making them undisciplined and soft.

Online Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's going to be a shit show.
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »
The onus is on Jeff Long now going forward. Lots of fan bases bitch about their AD relentlessly to no avail. When it comes down to it, their jobs are a lot more involved and a lot more complex than just wins or losses. We can bitch and moan about a contract extension or buyout numbers, but none of those really means anything yet. Bielema was always going to get time to build this program back from the ground up, because it was in a total mess after a shit-show and a lame duck year. He was always going to get a "fair shake" at this position, which the extension was likely intended to be a good faith indicator of.

Whether you agree with that or not doesn't matter. It is what it is. Scan across different fan messageboards in the conference and you'll see a lot of the same. A lot of folks also rant on and on about win totals in [insert year here] and compare them to other places here and there. Without context, it's worthless. Are there similar situations to ours that were handled better? Sure. There were also many more that were worse. A quick trigger is always risky from a numbers-standpoint off of a rebuild, though. Plus, for us at least, the talent on the roster really just wasn't or isn't there to levy demonstrably high expectations, yet. 

As we've now strung off three seasons of .500 or better, the "clean up" or whatever you want to call it is done. The program is in good enough shape to expect better results going forward. At the end of the year, you have to look at where you are in relation to your opponents. With all the money being thrown at the coaches in this league and this division, specifically, something has to give. Either these schools start paying less or they start adjusting their expectations in relation to what they're paying for. Every school can't pay $3 million per year and expect 8+ wins. The math doesn't work out. There are going to be several disappointed fan bases every year. Unless Nick Saban is your coach, you just have to hope that you aren't one of the disappointed ones more often than not.

In regards to expectations or disappointment, I don't like looking at just the W-L columns without context like so many do. It's entirely possible to have a 10-win season that feels empty. You can also have a 7-6 season in this league that has a positive outlook.

This one wasn't positive.

I don't begrudge anyone that wants or expects more than what we got this season. The program is healthy enough to expect more effort than what we saw in at least 4 or 5 contests this season. I don't know if there is a voice that is missing that resonated with players before or if the overall mentality of the program has gone stale, but something is amiss. After watching the mental toughness and effort seemingly deteriorate before our eyes throughout the season, there should be changes and we should see quick progress moving in the other direction.

Hiccups are to be expected along the way sometimes. That's no surprise. The good coaches and programs adjust, build off of and move forward from them, though. Is that the direction that this staff takes? Or, to borrow a metaphor from this year, was this season just the beginning of the second half of the Bielema era?

The TL;DR summary that avoids my disjointed narcissistic babble: Going forward, we should expect a lot more effort and organization than we got this year. If it doesn't improve, Long needs to think about who the right people are to do that.

Too nuanced, didn't read.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline Po Pimp

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »

Long doesn't need to think about replacements because he shouldn't be around to choose the next coach.

Offline Tonic

• Local Sunshine Pumper
  • Boar
  • Keep On 'Stachin
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »
I say good luck to any of you wanting Jeff Long fired, has very little chance of happening. Long will have to do some non-integrity shit for him to be let go.

I feel Bielema deserves one more season but I am definitely not pleased with how this one ended. Losing big leads is a bad sign, inexcusable.

That's all I have to say about this year's football team, I'll be focused on Basketball and looking forward to Baseball until the fall. Go Hogs!!

Don't waste your time with the mouth breathers.

Online Barton Fink

• Boar
  • Bring it!
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »
Does anyone think we will be any better next year? I just don't see it.
<--- I'm with him

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2017, 08:38:12 PM »
For the first time I will not be excited about the upcoming football season.

Offline upine

• A Shoat
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »

We gain experience in our Oline,RBs, and QB. Return our defense. We lose Morgan, Sprinkle, and Hatcher. Those guys have been clutch. There has to be a overhaul in some areas, even with the some experienced players coming back. We might win one additional game. I don't know. We won't go 9-3.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2017, 09:34:01 PM »
I say good luck to any of you wanting Jeff Long fired, has very little chance of happening. Long will have to do some non-integrity shit for him to be let go.

I feel Bielema deserves one more season but I am definitely not pleased with how this one ended. Losing big leads is a bad sign, inexcusable.

That's all I have to say about this year's football team, I'll be focused on Basketball and looking forward to Baseball until the fall. Go Hogs!!

I kind of feel like at some point Long will become a conference commish, deputy NCAA director, take over the CFB playoff from an administrative standpoint, etc.  I don't think he's always going to be an AD.

Offline Tonic

• Local Sunshine Pumper
  • Boar
  • Keep On 'Stachin
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:50 PM »
I kind of feel like at some point Long will become a conference commish, deputy NCAA director, take over the CFB playoff from an administrative standpoint, etc.  I don't think he's always going to be an AD.

I agree with you. He won't be our AD forever.
Don't waste your time with the mouth breathers.

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
I agree with you. He won't be our AD forever.

Nobody lives forever, brutha!

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
We gain experience in our Oline,RBs, and QB. Return our defense. We lose Morgan, Sprinkle, and Hatcher. Those guys have been clutch. There has to be a overhaul in some areas, even with the some experienced players coming back. We might win one additional game. I don't know. We won't go 9-3.

I've thought the same about our offense potentially being better next year, we don't lose much. The thing that makes me hesitant is the online, for the last three years they have supposed to have been dominant, but we continually get pushed around and shut down by far inferior defensive lines. It boggles my mind.
"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

Look, I know exactly what I typed and the next 3 people couldn't piece it together.

Online Barton Fink

• Boar
  • Bring it!
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »
I've thought the same about our offense potentially being better next year, we don't lose much. The thing that makes me hesitant is the online, for the last three years they have supposed to have been dominant, but we continually get pushed around and shut down by far inferior defensive lines. It boggles my mind.

Two of our returning Oline starters were awful most of the year (Froholdt and Wallace) and we have to replace Skipper. I do think Froholdt got better as the year went on. Still, I don't see how that group will be better. Hope like hell I'm wrong.
<--- I'm with him

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »
Long doesn't need to think about replacements because he shouldn't be around to choose the next coach.

People may not like it, but Long isn't going anywhere right now unless he wants to.

Offline Boared Cynic

• Should RMPL
  • Boar
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2017, 12:16:25 AM »
You can't piss off the fans forever.

Enough 7-5s, people will quit coming to the games, airplane banners, angry social media tweets and twats, and etc. A little unrest can circlejerk and grow big.

The average fan turned on Nutt not because they're involved enough to know he's a shitty person, but because he underachieved.

But that's just my hack opinion, maybe I should RMPL

Offline Boared Cynic

• Should RMPL
  • Boar
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »
But yeah it could take years before it comes to that. How does 2022 sound? That should be 10 years so we could further make comparisons to Nutt

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »

This is a bad thing.
Just ask the Axis

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
Enough 7-5s, people will quit coming to the games, airplane banners, angry social media tweets and twats, and etc. A little unrest can circlejerk and grow big.

When does that start happening?
It sounds great, but banners and lack of attendance did not get Nutt fired.

Offline Austin Nichols

• Tush Hog
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
Somebody refresh my memory, was it John White who made the call to go ahead and pay Nutt some severance money that he didn't really deserve?

Again, if I recall, that wasn't the AD making a stupid decision. 

We aren't so good with the negotiating and the dollars and cents part of athletics.  Also not real good at the athletics part of athletics.

Offline cotte

• Retired Woopig Softballah and Evidently Admin
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
This is a bad thing.

My thoughts exactly. I was going to quote it and say "Oh, fuck that's right! Damn."
We're going to pick em up when they come off the damn bus. We gonna guard people.
Mike Anderson - March 26th, 2011

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »

no.  will be just like this season.  6-6, 7-5 somewhere in there.  we'll have a game or two we show and whoop some ass, the bama game where we will get pwnd legitimately, a game we get pwnd cuz we didn't show up/weren't prepared/quit before kickoff/think we're hot shit, and 2 or 3 games we quit after halftime. 

i'll watch and be optimistically hopeful for wins, but pretty damn apathetic about this staff and the team knowing what we have.  it will be the least look forward to off season since 2005 probably.
Bring on White Chocolate

Offline Buffinator

• The Other Other White Meat
  • King of the Hogs
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »
This is a bad thing.

But we're going to switch to a 3-4 to better emphasize our overall team speed.

Page created in 2.348 seconds with 41 queries.