Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 2017 NFL Offseason Thread  (Read 96000 times)

Online VegasHog

• Boar
Re: 2017 NFL Offseason Thread
« Reply #775 on: August 30, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
crazy stat.
only three current qbs under the age of 32 have won a playoff game - wilson, cam, and luck. if you have a good qb you pay him, especially if your team is getting $337 million a year by just being a member of the nfl.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #776 on: August 30, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
Eric Kramer doesn't count?

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Likes doing hoodrat stuff with his friends.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #777 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »

OBJ wanting to be the highest paid player is ridiculous.  QBs touch the ball every play.  With cap teams have to pick their poison when they carry big contracts, and they better hope he doesn't get hurt; that would be lots of dead money.

Le'veon Bell has said the same thing about being the league's highest paid player.  Good luck with that.

"Lemme guess.. when you shake hands you offer a FIRM grip don't you.. or you think dick size matters? LMMFAO! nobody can do nothing about what your born with, and God gives everyone exactly what they need, your heart is the only thing that matters...Plus, my dicks little, but ask anybody that's kicked it in the sack with me and they'll tell you whats up.."

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #778 on: August 30, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
Eric Kramer doesn't count?

Let's head off this discussion right now. 

I know it's a shot in the dark. 

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #779 on: August 30, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »

one step ahead of you...

Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #780 on: August 30, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
crazy stat.
only three current qbs under the age of 32 have won a playoff game - wilson, cam, and luck. if you have a good qb you pay him, especially if your team is getting $337 million a year by just being a member of the nfl.

What the team gets in rev share has zero to do with anything.  The players get 48.5% of the revenue.

The issue of yuge QB contracts is the salary cap.  Nothing else.  How does one contract impact the rest of the team?  Saints have been stripped by Bree's big deal. 

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #781 on: August 30, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »

It all came to a head but he's better now.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #782 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »
The issue of yuge QB contracts is the salary cap.  Nothing else.  How does one contract impact the rest of the team?  Saints have been stripped by Bree's big deal.
Where are the Saints at without Drew Brees?

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #783 on: August 30, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
Where are the Saints at without Drew Brees?

Nowhere.  That is the conundrum GMs face.  You have to have a QB, and they are eating more cap % each year.

If Stafford got $27m then Rodgers might be getting $30.  Not many are as team minded as Brady. 

The only way to game the system is to  luck into a low draft pick that can play like Dak or Russell Wilson.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #784 on: August 30, 2017, 09:40:30 PM »
Ah, we're essentially agreeing.

QB's are more valuable than ever. Without a historically dominating defense and a ton of luck, you're going nowhere without one.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #785 on: August 30, 2017, 10:21:34 PM »
I only use Brees as an example of how a big contract, poorly structured, can really screw up a team.  A dollar aint a dollar, and a good GM can reduce the impact of big contracts through smart structuring.  Cowboys went through the same thing until Stephen Jones and Will McClay started running personnel; they finally got the team back to building a team instead of buying one. Once Romo falls off the dead money list after this season they will have another couple of years with Dak's cheap contract. 

Offline CrocodileHunter

• Chairman Emeritus of the 102 Crew
  • Boar
  • ^^^ El Capitan
« Reply #786 on: August 30, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »

Not many are as team minded as Brady. 

Not many have a wife that earns $30 million a year either.

Online VegasHog

• Boar
« Reply #787 on: August 30, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
Not many have a wife that earns $30 million a year either.

true but even with all the deferred salary he's still made the 2nd most money of any current qb.
eli manning of all people has made the most.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #788 on: August 30, 2017, 10:47:53 PM »
that's the thing... Guys like Brady and Manning are unusual in that regard. Most NFL players have to be smart enough to take the money when they can get it
Very few of them get multiple opportunities at big contracts.
Window of opportunity is very small for most of them.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #789 on: August 30, 2017, 11:25:54 PM »
Does Scott Mitchell not count? He was so big they put him on Biggest Loser.
I thought that was just because he was a Lions QB..

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #790 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:08 PM »
Look Snorts, you are older than fuck.  Only YOU and like 9 people on here probably remember the Lions not being a black hole at QB... and that's the thing, you don't even remember this Bobby Layne guy.  The last time the Lions had a franchise QB, like fucking Eisenhower was president or something. 

I actually do remember Bobby Layne as the QB for the Steelers at the end of his career.  Know why?  He was the only guy in the NFL without a face mask.  Crazy bastard.

Just ask the Axis

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #791 on: August 31, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »

Online Mr A Ziffell

• A Shoat
  • old
« Reply #792 on: September 01, 2017, 12:50:30 AM »
Look Snorts, you are older than fuck.  Only YOU and like 9 people on here probably remember the Lions not being a black hole at QB...

FU....I mean that in the nicest way....

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #793 on: September 01, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »
The Jets have a safety named Armageddon Draughn.  Should make the team just with the name.

Also, I'm sodomizing myself with my iPhone using lemonparty.com

Offline lawtiger

• Loyal Citizen of Zamunda
  • King of the Hogs
  • Sexual Chocolate
« Reply #794 on: September 01, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »
The Jets have a safety named Armageddon Draughn.  Should make the team just with the name.

Also, I'm sodomizing myself with my iPhone using lemonparty.com

He has a twin sister named Ima Gettin...she is a bit of a Francophile.

I'm gonna be bigger than Jesus
Bigger than wrestling
Bigger than the Beatles
And bigger than breast implants

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #795 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
In keeping up with the old fart reminisce thing I've got going...the first Lion's QB I can remember was Milt Plum.  He was the guy that threw the late INT that allowed GB to kick a late FG and win the famous "Run To Daylight" game 9-7.  Detroit had it won, just had to run out the clock late when Plum decided to throw one.  QBs mostly called their own plays in those days.  Lombardi wrote about it in the book by the same name.

The game was played in 1962, the first of two.  Detroit had an outstanding, near-great team.  They blew that first GB game, then absolutely whipped their ass in an infamous Thanksgiving Day game later in the year.  If Plum hadn't thrown the INT Detroit would have won the Conference that year, despite a loss to San Fran I believe.  They'd have swept the Packers and won by a game.  The great 1962 Packers team of one loss would be a footnote, and their run of championships would be 4 instead of 5.

Apparently Detroit's great DT Alex Karras threw his helmet at Plum in the locker room and had to be restrained by teammates after the gaffe.

In "Mad Ducks and Bears", a book about the 60's Lions by George Plimpton, Karras says that Plum was doomed by his pansy name.  No QB could be a tough, gritty competitor with that name.  According to Karras, if he had been named Jack Kong Plum things would have been different for him.

I recommend both the above books as highly as I can to anyone interested in the 60's NFL.  "Mad Ducks and Bears" by Plimpton and "Run To Daylight" by Lombardi.

Just ask the Axis

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #796 on: September 01, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »

Ezekiel Elliott and the NFLPA filed suit in federal court in Texas this morning to block Elliott's suspension.

Ezekiel Elliott sues the NFL, claims a 'conspiracy' to 'hide critical information'

Offline Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Boar
  • Just look at the big board.
« Reply #797 on: September 01, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »

Ezekiel Elliott and the NFLPA filed suit in federal court in Texas this morning to block Elliott's suspension.

Ezekiel Elliott sues the NFL, claims a 'conspiracy' to 'hide critical information'
If this is true it's fucking crazy.  The VP of investigations suppressed evidence from the lead investigator and pretty much lied to Goddell. 

"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #798 on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »
His last season 49ers were 8-8.  He is a very good coach but think his BS probably gets old after a while and players start to tune him out.  That's why he's probably a much better fit in college.

That's not bad. Most if not all of the really good pro coaches who didn't have Brady or Manning have gone 8-8.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • The sweetest nectar
« Reply #799 on: September 01, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
That's not bad. Most if not all of the really good pro coaches who didn't have Brady or Manning have gone 8-8.

Sure.  Joe Philbin did it 2 out of 3 seasons!