Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: what is this university of arkansas, fayetteville crap in the DemGaz  (Read 8276 times)

Offline hogslobber

• Tush Hog
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: what is this university of arkansas, fayetteville crap in the DemGaz
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »

Rick,

Thanks for your note, and thanks for reading WholeHogSports. Since the WholeHogSports online writers report to me, I’ll be glad to explain why you see different references to the University of Arkansas on the website.

WholeHogSports.com carries Razorback coverage from multiple sources: The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Hawgs Illustrated magazine and the WholeHogSports online staff. While all are under the same ownership, the entities have different editors and varying style rules.

The stories contributed to WholeHogSports from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette follow style rules set by that newspaper’s newsroom. The statewide newspaper’s style for Arkansas colleges is to refer an institution by its formal name at least once in the story. According to the University of Arkansas System, the formal name for the flagship campus is  “University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.” (See this link: http://www.uasys.edu/campuses-affiliates/universities/fayetteville/ )

Stories contributed to WholeHogSports by its online staff and by Hawgs Illustrated writers use “University of Arkansas” or simply “Arkansas” on first reference.

I hope that helps. Once again, thanks for reading WholeHogSports. We appreciate it!

Rusty Turner
Editor | rturner@nwadg.com

This is EXACTLY the response I would expect from Rusty Turner.

Online Rick B.

• Boar
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:57 AM »
I agree with this 100 % about the " River Valley"

Don't waste our time in NWA telling us about Lavaca, Greenwood or any of those horrible Oklahoma towns.

There is enough going on up here in NWA to talk about.
NWA elitist. Fuck off. Us River Valleyites are people too!! And we need our news too.

Sent from my bag phone using Tapatalk 2.0.6.

Online Rick B.

• Boar
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »

This is EXACTLY the response I would expect from Rusty Turner.
Further from Matt Jones.

Rick,

Thanks for your email. Our website at WHS is a confluence of content from several sources, including the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Several weeks ago the editorial board of that paper began to refer to all colleges by their legal name, including in sports stories, thus the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville references in the stories that come from the newspaper.

Thanks,
Matt Jones
Online Sports Director

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • King of the Hogs
  • Strict No Tolerance Palsy
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
Further from Matt Jones.

Rick,

Thanks for your email. Our website at WHS is a confluence of content from several sources, including the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Several weeks ago the editorial board of that paper began to refer to all colleges by their legal name, including in sports stories, thus the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville references in the stories that come from the newspaper.

Thanks,
Matt Jones
Online Sports Director

PS

Wanna go back behind the Brahm's and toot some sweet bumps?

Offline hogslobber

• Tush Hog
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »
NWA elitist. Fuck off. Us River Valleyites are people too!! And we need our news too.

Nothing elite about this.  You need the new from your area.  You don't care what is happening in Pea Ridge or Gravette, or Bentonville , or Rogers.

My point is that they are 2 separate news areas.

Offline Aaron

• Definitely Not an Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lacy and Jenna Coburn's Daddy
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »
PS

Wanna go back behind the Brahm's and toot some sweet bumps?

Funny that you mention this.  My first job was at Braum's in Fort Smith, while I was a high school Jr in 1992.  It's also the first time I was exposed to methamphetamine.  This skank that worked there was always going out to the parking lot to smoke and invited me a couple of times.  I politely declined.  They called it "crank" back then.
I discovered Leo Propst.  � on: November 17, 2007, 10:20:38 PM �

Offline Aaron

• Definitely Not an Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lacy and Jenna Coburn's Daddy
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
I only watch the local news if there's a big storm brewing, otherwise the same newscasters, reporters, and weather guys are on my facebook feed. 

I do like this reporter chick from 5 news though.

https://www.facebook.com/5NEWSAlex/
I discovered Leo Propst.  � on: November 17, 2007, 10:20:38 PM �

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Boar
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2017, 01:24:10 PM »
Funny that you mention this.  My first job was at Braum's in Fort Smith, while I was a high school Jr in 1992.  It's also the first time I was exposed to methamphetamine.  This skank that worked there was always going out to the parking lot to smoke and invited me a couple of times.  I politely declined.  They called it "crank" back then.

Skanks on Crank. I think I saw a show on Discovery Channel about that once.

Offline kingofdequeen

• King of the Hogs
  • all extremists should be shot.
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »

bet she always had a pair of needle nose handy.
When did you stop beating your gay lover?

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Lowell George
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
I've not seen anything written about ASU-Jonesboro.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »
I've not seen anything written about ASU-Jonesboro.
That's because ASU's main campus doesn't officially refer to itself as Arkansas State University - Jonesboro. Only the satellite campuses use the location as a qualifier.

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • whatever
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:40 PM »
All this hatred of local tv news, oh my!!

Do you not appreciate:
seeing house and trailer fire footage shot  in HD?
Seeing the stories that you read about in the paper that morning WITH NO NEW INFORMATION and presented as if IT JUST HAPPENED!!
Live coverage of not only severe weather (with live video from MOVING vechiles) but ice and snow too AS IT IS HAPPENING WITH UNSCRIPTED COMMENTS!
Photos of weather!
People reading off a tele-prompter!

Also don't tell you don't appreciate learning of a new community when they do a storm track.

Local news is the awesome!
 Ring back editorials and more clevage!

Haters gonna hate

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »
I have not checked out the talent on KHOG lately. 

I'm a KNWA guy all the way.  I don't care what happens south of the tunnel.  I'm down there enough to know what it's all about. 

I have noticed lately though that the morning guy on KNWA, Chris something or other.... I think he's become a little full of himself.  He cuts off the other people a ton and has dropped all kinds of references about them being newer than him and such.... like he's a mainstay of Tom Brokaw proportions or something. 

I'm not sorry that Kargas moved to evenings though.  She's definitely perky and wired up but in the morning, I need a bit more subdued.

Channel 5 is the only folks who care about fort shit. 
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline PorkSaladAnnie

• Tush Hog
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2017, 01:44:16 AM »
ASU has multiple campuses, and I haven't seen them use ASU- Jonesboro.   Not to say they haven't, but I haven't seen it and I read the sports page every day.  I think someone in middle management is butthurt over something.
There is your answer. A crock of it for sure.
"Whether you're Black or White;
 Country, Redneck or Freak;
 Young or Old;
 From London, to Moscow or Memphis;
 Elvis Presley will still be the King of Rock & Roll."

Page created in 3.21 seconds with 38 queries.