Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Police Scanners  (Read 794 times)

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • I am surrounded by my privilege
Police Scanners
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
Looking to get the old man a new scanner for father's day but with all the newfangled systems out there you have to have the right kind to pick up the local chatter.

I put in washington county here http://www.scannermaster.com/Articles.asp?ID=372 but it only pulls up 2 $600+ units which I am fairly certain isn't correct.

Anyone got the scoop on which model(s) will actually pickup in NWA and are easy for an old codger to figure out?   

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline gibraltar

• habitual line stepper
  • Boar
Re: Police Scanners
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »
I used to have a scanner and if nothing has changed, all you do is put in the frequencies into any scanner that you buy of what you want to scan. Unless I'm missing something.

Washington County freqs: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=179

Offline 1st_down_streak

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »
I used to have a scanner and if nothing has changed, all you do is put in the frequencies into any scanner that you buy of what you want to scan. Unless I'm missing something.

Washington County freqs: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=179

Digital trunking went in a few years ago. Old school scanners don't work any more

Important Notes about Arkansas:
Arkansas has built AWIN, the Arkansas Wireless Information Network radio system used by the Arkansas State Police and other county, local and state agencies. This is a Motorola APCO-25 digital trunking radio system that requires a digital scanner to monitor. Our general recommendation is that the best Arkansas scanner is a digital scanner.

Offline gibraltar

• habitual line stepper
  • Boar
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
Is that regional or is the change state/nationwide? I have gone into customer's houses recently that still have traditional scanners going and I hear the traffic. 

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
i've got an old school one that still works on a few channels but not many.
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
The best time for scanners was in the early 90s before cell phones went digital and before the scanners had to filter cell phone frequencies. 

I sold uniden and my rep tried to overcome my objections and said take home a sample and try it out.  You can pick up cell phones.  Here the frequencies.  High tech listening in on the party line.  Short lived, and while it made one feel slimy, you couldn't help but get back on it to find out if your neighbor lady was going to screw the yard man again.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
I called Smith 2-way - the lady said they don't sell scanners and when I asked if anyone up there does she told me to check Radio Shack  ???

I gave up and got him one of these  - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ET7PG5E/

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 32 queries.