Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: It's June 6 - Take a moment to remember D-Day  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Sooiiee Generis

• A Danger to Himself and Others
  • Boar
  • woopig.net
It's June 6 - Take a moment to remember D-Day
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
This is an excellent article written back in 1960 about the first wave on D-Day. I highly recommend it. It is an unsanitized account of the horrors that met the attackers that morning.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1960/11/first-wave-at-omaha-beach/303365/   

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fellow says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace - and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Offline phead2903

• A Shoat
  • I'm a llama!
Re: It's June 6 - Take a moment to remember D-Day
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
My dad flew air support for the bombing raids on D-Day. He hardly ever talked about the war (most of his tour was in the middle east and north Africa), but he liked to talk about this day. All the preparation, the worry over the weather, even how some coincidental newspaper crossword puzzle clues (sword, gold, Neptune) in the days leading up to the invasion had the Allied command worried that the Germans were on to them. I love watching The Longest Day - how it shows the invasion from both the Allies and the Germans.

Offline Snortingred1

• Tush Hog
  • Slightly above average common sense...slightly.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
My great grandfather retired a colonel from the air force.  He dropped many a bomb on those Nazi fucks, raining down hellfire and brimstone.  He kept a journal of his 25 missions.  He explains in detail the targets, the time in which they executed the raid, and whether or not if the mission was a success.  He kept entries for the missions that were scrubbed, or were failures as well.  He even explains how a storm had taken down a third of the defending forces that they would have had to fly through in order to execute one raid.  He said that the allied forces would use the conditions to aid in some of their raids, that it was about timing.  How they would draw them into the air, and away from landing strips.  That they would evade the storm while some of the other craft would get caught up in it, and that it would down any craft that had taken damage from their skirmish.

I would always get lost in reading this journal.  I didn't know anything about the man, but I always thought he deserved the utmost respect from every civvy that he crossed paths with.  His B-17 was shot down over Allied friendly part of France, the French had to hide him and the rest of his crew for two weeks with Nazi patrols on the town every day.  This man was truly a gentleman, a scholar, and an American bad ass.  Thanks for your service Grandpa Flagler.  You helped pave the way to topple the tyranny that was Nazi Germany.
"What was it that Noam Chomsky said about BJ's?" -Zack Galifianakis

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
True heroes!
AYFSM?

Offline hogoffate

• Wild Hog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »
This is an excellent article written back in 1960 about the first wave on D-Day. I highly recommend it. It is an unsanitized account of the horrors that met the attackers that morning.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1960/11/first-wave-at-omaha-beach/303365/   

Awesome read; The landing scene in Saving Private Ryan probably was the most accurate in movies showing the horror.  And after reading this; most of them never even had a chance; those German machine guns just waiting for the doors to open.  That was truly shooting fish in a barrel.  And if they were able to get over the side of the boat; they have now fallen into deep water with a heavy backpack and other gear causing them to sink. Those guys on that morning....nothing but humble admiration for them all and all that have fought for us.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
My great grandfather retired a colonel from the air force.  He dropped many a bomb on those Nazi fucks, raining down hellfire and brimstone.  He kept a journal of his 25 missions.  He explains in detail the targets, the time in which they executed the raid, and whether or not if the mission was a success.  He kept entries for the missions that were scrubbed, or were failures as well.  He even explains how a storm had taken down a third of the defending forces that they would have had to fly through in order to execute one raid.  He said that the allied forces would use the conditions to aid in some of their raids, that it was about timing.  How they would draw them into the air, and away from landing strips.  That they would evade the storm while some of the other craft would get caught up in it, and that it would down any craft that had taken damage from their skirmish.

I would always get lost in reading this journal.  I didn't know anything about the man, but I always thought he deserved the utmost respect from every civvy that he crossed paths with.  His B-17 was shot down over Allied friendly part of France, the French had to hide him and the rest of his crew for two weeks with Nazi patrols on the town every day.  This man was truly a gentleman, a scholar, and an American bad ass.  Thanks for your service Grandpa Flagler.  You helped pave the way to topple the tyranny that was Nazi Germany.

Wow what a great resource your great-grandfather left you.  I respect all our fighting men in WWII, but some groups garner more interest from me, like submariners or the soldiers and marines who got into these landing craft and rode into hell from the Germans or Japanese.   Those who climbed into these flying cans a couple of times a week and flew across the channel 25 times through flak and fire I just admire the hell out of them.  Their stories are fascinating and terrifying and a testament. 

It is a shame that your grandpa isn't around but that journal could be made into a fantastic book that tells the tale far more personally than the usual military history book or Hollywood.

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »

great article.  really gives perspective how close it was to a complete failure.
After that 56-3 beatdown by Auburn Saturday he will be known only as Bert until he wins an SEC title.  That is the only way he gets back in teh good graces enough to be called by the name his momma gave him.

Offline Guardrail

• Boar
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »

Wow! That is awesome! You probably ought to make a copy of it and put the original away cause that is some cool shit. Like Texzilla said, that's book worthy. I wish I had anything like that from my grandfather who was a tanker in WWII. He didn't tell me anything.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Tush Hog
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »

My dad flew air support for the bombing raids on D-Day. He hardly ever talked about the war (most of his tour was in the middle east and north Africa), but he liked to talk about this day. All the preparation, the worry over the weather, even how some coincidental newspaper crossword puzzle clues (sword, gold, Neptune) in the days leading up to the invasion had the Allied command worried that the Germans were on to them. I love watching The Longest Day - how it shows the invasion from both the Allies and the Germans.

My dad was a bombadier on missions over Pas de Calais as part of the diversionary campaign on June 5 and 6.  Hitler withheld sending extra troops and support to Normandy due to thinking the big invasion was coming through Pas de Calais.

He died in 1969 when I was 6.  I only knew he had been in the military because of pictures of him in his Bombadier Jacket and all of his medals.  I only learned later on that he was involved in Operation Overlord. My mother was his second marriage.  My mom's brother went to Viet Nam in '66-'68.  I just assumed my dad had fought in Viet Nam until my uncle told me different in the 70's. 

What heroes.  .

Offline Snortingred1

• Tush Hog
  • Slightly above average common sense...slightly.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
My dad was a bombadier on missions over Pas de Calais as part of the diversionary campaign on June 5 and 6.  Hitler withheld sending extra troops and support to Normandy due to thinking the big invasion was coming through Pas de Calais.

He died in 1969 when I was 6.  I only knew he had been in the military because of pictures of him in his Bombadier Jacket and all of his medals.  I only learned later on that he was involved in Operation Overlord. My mother was his second marriage.  My mom's brother went to Viet Nam in '66-'68.  I just assumed my dad had fought in Viet Nam until my uncle told me different in the 70's. 

What heroes.  .

I'm actually getting a copy of his journal.  I talked to my grandmother the other night about possibly having it published.  When I acquire this artifact, i'll share some entries with the woopig.
"What was it that Noam Chomsky said about BJ's?" -Zack Galifianakis

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 11:50:19 PM »
Wow! That is awesome! You probably ought to make a copy of it and put the original away cause that is some cool shit. Like Texzilla said, that's book worthy. I wish I had anything like that from my grandfather who was a tanker in WWII. He didn't tell me anything.

My scoutmaster in LR was a tank commander in a Sherman in Patton's Third Army from the breakout from Normandy until the end of the war in Czechoslovakia.  He was part of the initial force that freed Bastogne.  Incredible stories of sheer terror.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 34 queries.