Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: MLB Draft 2017  (Read 2514 times)

Offline authorhawgerelli

• A Shoat
MLB Draft 2017
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Through 2 rounds, we've not lost anybody yet.  Of course, probably 80% of the picks were high school kids.  I chuckled at one of the first round picks of the Reds, Jeter Downs, a SS out of a Florida high school.  Imagine the pressure this kid has playing that position carrying that name.  His only consolation is the Yankees didn't draft  him.

The only surprises I see for the Hogs would be if Blaine Knight doesn't go, and Carson Shaddy does.  I'm hearing that Knight really wants to come back.  Family and everybody close to him wants another year, and DVH has stated that several SEC coaches think he needs one more year (he just finished his sophomore year) to jump to top 5 round.  As it is, If he doesn't get picked in the top 10, he probably returns.  The money really starts plummeting after the 10th round.  Shaddy has graduated.  He improved throughout the year at a new position, but his bat got sleepy.  He was a pretty dang good on the field and in the dugout leader.  His dad spent a lot of time in the minors.  Maybe he wants to take a shot.  I personally don't think he cracks the top 30 rounds, but I'm hearing if anybody drafts him, he will go.  Seniors getting drafted have zero leverage, and get $100 signing bonuses. 

It will be interesting to see where Spanberger has climbed to.  Until the SEC tournament, he was probably targeted around the 25th round.  DVH was pretty open in his post season press conference that he doesn't think we'll be power hitting as much next year, but could return a pretty dang potent team.  My favorite for potential Golden Spikes candidate for next year is Dominic Fletcher.  I see the 2nd coming of Andrew Benentendi in him. 

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
Re: MLB Draft 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
Fletcher will have to learn to hit a breaking ball. He was missing them when thrown for strikes by two feet in the regional. There is talk that Shaddy will leave drafted or not. Knight will almost certainly be picked in the next couple of rounds today unless he's told teams he will be a tough sign.
"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »
Through 2 rounds, we've not lost anybody yet.  Of course, probably 80% of the picks were high school kids.  I chuckled at one of the first round picks of the Reds, Jeter Downs, a SS out of a Florida high school.  Imagine the pressure this kid has playing that position carrying that name.  His only consolation is the Yankees didn't draft  him.

The only surprises I see for the Hogs would be if Blaine Knight doesn't go, and Carson Shaddy does.  I'm hearing that Knight really wants to come back.  Family and everybody close to him wants another year, and DVH has stated that several SEC coaches think he needs one more year (he just finished his sophomore year) to jump to top 5 round.  As it is, If he doesn't get picked in the top 10, he probably returns.  The money really starts plummeting after the 10th round.  Shaddy has graduated.  He improved throughout the year at a new position, but his bat got sleepy.  He was a pretty dang good on the field and in the dugout leader.  His dad spent a lot of time in the minors.  Maybe he wants to take a shot.  I personally don't think he cracks the top 30 rounds, but I'm hearing if anybody drafts him, he will go.  Seniors getting drafted have zero leverage, and get $100 signing bonuses. 

It will be interesting to see where Spanberger has climbed to.  Until the SEC tournament, he was probably targeted around the 25th round.  DVH was pretty open in his post season press conference that he doesn't think we'll be power hitting as much next year, but could return a pretty dang potent team.  My favorite for potential Golden Spikes candidate for next year is Dominic Fletcher.  I see the 2nd coming of Andrew Benentendi in him.

Knight is a lock to be a top 5 round pick if he wants to go pro.  The key is how much money does he want.  If he slides past the 5th round it is only because he has made it clear he wants a signing bonus way above the slot value.  He can make 600k now or he can try and improve and risk that for 2-5 million next year.   
I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
Also, I don't buy that Knight wants to come back to school.  I think it is all a negotiation tactic because he has all of the leverage this year.  For months everyone was saying he was gone and now all of the sudden a week before the draft he wants to come back for another year.  I hope he does, but I will believe it when it happens. 
I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline SkinnyHawg

• A Shoat
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Trevor Stephan to the Yankees at #92.

Offline Barton Fink

• Boar
  • Bring it!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
I'd be surprised if Knight is back as well. Basing that from what I knew of him coming out of HS. I do see the benefit of him staying one more year. I'd be really surprised if Shaddy is drafted.
<--- I'm with him

Online HogNrock

• Boar
  • McHeisman pose
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:05 PM »
Who are our top HS/JC signees that have a chance of being drafted high enough to go pro instead of coming to Fayetteville?  Who and when should I look for them while following the draft online?

Offline SkinnyHawg

• A Shoat
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
Who are our top HS/JC signees that have a chance of being drafted high enough to go pro instead of coming to Fayetteville?  Who and when should I look for them while following the draft online?

Daniel Tillo went #90 to the Yankees and Canaan Smith went #122 to the Yankees.

Bryce Bonnin and Cole Turney should be the next ones drafted.

Offline Barton Fink

• Boar
  • Bring it!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
Have any of these guys stated their intentions? Top 130 is pretty good money.
<--- I'm with him

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »
We are to the point that Bonin, Turney and Knight must have made it known that they wanted big money.  Teams can still pay over slot, but today has gone great so far.  We have to worry about teams grabbing guys in the 11th round and offering 3rd round money like they did with Benninghof last year. 

Online Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
There is talk that Shaddy will leave drafted or not.

Leave for the European leagues? 

What would he go do if he's not drafted?

Offline BrandonN004

• A Shoat
  • Billy Mays For President?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
Teams from NY man, wasn't it the mets that took like 3 or 4 of our signees about 3 years ago?

Offline authorhawgerelli

• A Shoat
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
Teams from NY man, wasn't it the mets that took like 3 or 4 of our signees about 3 years ago?

There's probably more, but all I can think of is the Mets taking our top recruit, Brandon Nimmo. 

Teams with Red in their mascot like us.  Benintendi starts in Boston of course, Jalen Beeks just got called up to Boston's AAA team last weekend.  The Reds keep sending Barrett Astin back and forth from Cincinnati and their AAA team. 

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »

Leave for the European leagues? 

What would he go do if he's not drafted?

There's independent league baseball. Or he could just get a job and start living his life. He's been in college for four years, might have graduated.

Offline SkinnyHawg

• A Shoat
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
Spanberger to the Rockies at #176.

Online Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • The Best in Sight and Sound
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »
Spanberger to the Rockies at #176.
What is it that the scouts love about Jake Burger from Mizzou St that got him drafted at #11 overall that's so much better than Spanberger? I don't see any separation in them at all + Span is a lefty hitter.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Online Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »

There's independent league baseball. Or he could just get a job and start living his life. He's been in college for four years, might have graduated.

Is he having to pay for all or part of his school?  Seems like if it's being paid for, I'd take that one more year of free ride and playing baseball.

I can't imagine that the independent leagues pay all that well. 

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
What is it that the scouts love about Jake Burger from Mizzou St that got him drafted at #11 overall that's so much better than Spanberger? I don't see any separation in them at all + Span is a lefty hitter.

Spanberger has only had 1 good season?

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »

Burger has a little bit longer track record.  That's all I can see. 

Spanberger basically has 2/3 of a season of production to go on.  Burger was really good for three seasons. 

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »

Is he having to pay for all or part of his school?  Seems like if it's being paid for, I'd take that one more year of free ride and playing baseball.

I can't imagine that the independent leagues pay all that well.

Nobody, outside of a Benintendi type player, is getting a full ride for baseball.

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »
My favorite for potential Golden Spikes candidate for next year is Dominic Fletcher.  I see the 2nd coming of Andrew Benentendi in him.

Jax Biggers.

Online Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »

Nobody, outside of a Benintendi type player, is getting a full ride for baseball.

That makes more sense, then. 

Offline livnlarge

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

Jax Biggers.

Agreeance.  Dude can hit and his power numbers should jump next year.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »

I see you didn't read the PM i sent you.
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 04:11:30 PM »
I see you didn't read the PM i sent you.
lol I read it but was keeping the info to myself.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

Page created in 2.017 seconds with 37 queries.