Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 2017 High School Football  (Read 58666 times)

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
Re: 2017 High School Football
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
What is the story on Jordan Witcher at Pea Ridge ?

Kid from Little Rock that played at Central as a sophomore, and Bryant as a Junior.

Out of no where he shows up  Pea Ridge ?

I don't know the specifics, but heard him mentioned by somebody.  If he and his family moved into the Pea Ridge district, he's eligible.  I don't know if that's the case or not, but I would assume the teams in his conference have already checked on that.

Offline Cerdo

• Despacito
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
So... I have an honest question and there are some people on here who know all about local NWA  athletics.

As long as I've lived in NWA (since 2000), it's been an incredibly dominant high school football region.  Heck, I think Bentonville won their first championship in that period and then of course we had the Malzhan era and then the Alabama/Ohio State thing with Fayetteville/Bentonville since then. 

My question is, why is Rogers, either school, always near the back of the pack?  Lots of kids with family football ties live there too and their coaches were well paid as well... and known.  They seemed to have plenty of available talent, one would think - and they certainly aren't last in the enrollment game. 
It appears to me that either Rogers school should have, at some point, made a big move. 

Offline hogslobber

• Boar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
As a life long resident of Rogers I can give you the reasons.

It will not be very politically correct, but it will be accurate.

Rogers had a dominant program thru the 60's, 70's and into the 80's.

That changed.

Give me a little bit to form that post.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »

That's one white ass right there.

A swift bare ass.

Sitting through the two Blue Cross/Hooten games last night, two things struck me.  First, all four of these smaller classification teams had kicking games that varied between mediocre to dreadful.  Punts, place kicks, kickoffs, it didn't matter.  One team - it might have been Danville or Hamburg - apparently doesn't even attempt extra points.  Surely even small schools can find a kicker and deep snapper.

Second, I know it was the first game and it was humid but it was only about 83-85 degrees and the kids were cramping left and right.  Don't they have water at small schools?  This Danville kid got behind the secondary and was hit with a perfectly thrown bomb.  Nothing but a clear path of green grass purple and gray striped plastic between him and the goal line and then about the 30 yard line it looked like a sniper took him out.  Just crashed in a heap.  I happened to be sitting next to a UCA trainer who said "water's free."

It was a fun time though.  I had no rooting interest other than my neighbor's kid plays for CCS but a couple of our kids came with us and it was nice just to get out and watch some football, eat some popcorn, watching little kids playing with souvenir plastic footballs in the north endzone, etc.   

BTW, Pea Ridge's roster was probably the double the number of the other three teams.  The other teams had lots of guys going both ways.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »
consistent kicking is difficult

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2017, 10:18:15 AM »
The other teams had lots of guys going both ways.

Well, it is 2017 and this is much more accepted these days, especially amongst the youth. 

On a serious note, I think the radio guys said Baptist Prep only had like 24 players on their roster.  This seems like a school that really needs some 8-man football, because from what I was hearing McGehee was already up like 38-0 on them in the second quarter. 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:22:09 AM by Law_Hawg »

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
A swift bare ass.

Sitting through the two Blue Cross/Hooten games last night, two things struck me.  First, all four of these smaller classification teams had kicking games that varied between mediocre to dreadful.  Punts, place kicks, kickoffs, it didn't matter.  One team - it might have been Danville or Hamburg - apparently doesn't even attempt extra points.  Surely even small schools can find a kicker and deep snapper.

Second, I know it was the first game and it was humid but it was only about 83-85 degrees and the kids were cramping left and right.  Don't they have water at small schools?  This Danville kid got behind the secondary and was hit with a perfectly thrown bomb.  Nothing but a clear path of green grass purple and gray striped plastic between him and the goal line and then about the 30 yard line it looked like a sniper took him out.  Just crashed in a heap.  I happened to be sitting next to a UCA trainer who said "water's free."

It was a fun time though.  I had no rooting interest other than my neighbor's kid plays for CCS but a couple of our kids came with us and it was nice just to get out and watch some football, eat some popcorn, watching little kids playing with souvenir plastic footballs in the north endzone, etc.   

BTW, Pea Ridge's roster was probably the double the number of the other three teams.  The other teams had lots of guys going both ways.

Even though these kids now are training year round, they still go home and play XBox with the AC turned down to 65.  You will see the heat cramps up through about game 3.  Just a part of the softening of America.  Pea Ridge is getting spill over from Bentonville and Rogers.  The kicking thing is a mystery.  One of the best kickers in our state is a young lady from NLR.  I figure she will get an offer from one of the non D-1 schools, or maybe ASU-J will offer her.  She doesn't miss PAT's, and her range is probably from the 35 in. 

In true woopig form, I have no picture to show, but she is pretty good looking by the way.

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »
So... I have an honest question and there are some people on here who know all about local NWA  athletics.

As long as I've lived in NWA (since 2000), it's been an incredibly dominant high school football region.  Heck, I think Bentonville won their first championship in that period and then of course we had the Malzhan era and then the Alabama/Ohio State thing with Fayetteville/Bentonville since then. 

My question is, why is Rogers, either school, always near the back of the pack?  Lots of kids with family football ties live there too and their coaches were well paid as well... and known.  They seemed to have plenty of available talent, one would think - and they certainly aren't last in the enrollment game. 
It appears to me that either Rogers school should have, at some point, made a big move.

I asked this question to a dad of a Rogers player and he said the administration does not care about athletics. 

I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
I asked this question to a dad of a Rogers player and he said the administration does not care about athletics.

Cop out answer.  I know one administrator, and the head coach at one of the high schools. Those 2 love athletics, and would die to get a winning tradition back.  I think Hogslobber's take will be very interesting.  I really thought when a relative of his got to be a junior and senior, there would be improvement, but they totally didn't use the young man where he needed to be used.  Politics kill many athletic programs.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »
Cop out answer.  I know one administrator, and the head coach at one of the high schools. Those 2 love athletics, and would die to get a winning tradition back.  I think Hogslobber's take will be very interesting.  I really thought when a relative of his got to be a junior and senior, there would be improvement, but they totally didn't use the young man where he needed to be used.  Politics kill many athletic programs.
Also, as in most sports, coaching matters.  It matters most at the high school level.  I suspect a lot of what is wrong with Rogers has to do with terrible coaching. 
I'm curious about Hogslobber's take.  He and I have talked a lot over the years about Rogers. 

Offline Cerdo

• Despacito
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
Hogslobber is probably about as tuned in as anyone can be on this board right now about Rogers' athletics.  I think the interest answer is a cop out... but if the answer is going to be something about demographics (just reading Hogslobber's hints about PC) than I don't know if I buy that either.   Little Rock is plenty black and they don't do much these days.  Both Springdale schools are rising again and they're probably hugely Hispanic.

It has to be participation and coaching, right?  Rogers has plenty of money. 

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • I am surrounded by my privilege
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
Hogslobber is probably about as tuned in as anyone can be on this board right now about Rogers' athletics.  I think the interest answer is a cop out... but if the answer is going to be something about demographics (just reading Hogslobber's hints about PC) than I don't know if I buy that either.   Little Rock is plenty black and they don't do much these days.  Both Springdale schools are rising again and they're probably hugely Hispanic.

Success is 10% perspiration and 90% statues

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »

Har-Ber is pretty white and ranked #1.

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Wooisme

• A Shoat
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2017, 12:02:34 PM »
Even though these kids now are training year round, they still go home and play XBox with the AC turned down to 65. 

This.

In my neighborhood more than eight school buses run routes (elementary to high school).  I exercise outdoors year round (five days a week).  In the summer, I rarely see a kid of any age playing outside.  In late fall and winter,
I do see some kids shooting basketball but even that's not an everyday occurrence. 

Giving yourself the best chance to hire an elite coach?  4-5 Million dollars
Giving an elite coach the facilities he needs for your program?  35-50 Million dollars
Firing that coach?  Priceless.

Offline Fatty McGee

• Boar
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »
The "kids aren't as tough as they used to be" thing seems a hollow (and old) excuse.  You don't see them out playing as much because they're doing sport specific organized training nearly year round. Especially at big schools.

Offline hogslobber

• Boar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
Athletics in Rogers was hit by the perfect storm.  The previous 2 Superintendents had little to no interest in athletics.  Couple that with enough board members that didn't care  ( mostly women) and that can really damage you.

The feeling was that athletics and academics were in direct conflict with each other.  I and many others disagree with this notion.  Look around at the different sports teams and the other extra curricular activities and see who has the highest GPA.

What in fact happens is that the kids with athletic talent will leave the school district and you get very few move ins to play in down or neglected programs.

There was a bad hire at the AD position.  What followed was poor decisions in some coaching positions.
The Mounties tried running an option offense that the kids hated.  Kids quit playing.  If I had been interested in my son playing college football, we would have been forced to move.  Some did, or just quit altogether.

I have hopes in the new superindentent, Dr. Berry, and some new members of the school board that I know.  Parents of athletes.  The hiring of Mike Lloyd as Head Coach looks to be a good hire.  He is a no nonsense, real football coach that knows what he is doing.   Isn't looking to post stuff on social media.  A mature person and coach with a very good background.

I was on the committee that was formed before his hiring.  At one of our meetings I asked the question of how Rogers stood in pay for the head coach and what his teaching demands were in relation to the rest of the conference.  There was a real uncomfortable pause in the room.   I knew the answer, but I wanted to make the AD and the superindentent say it out loud.

Every coach in the conference would take a pay cut and teach more classes to come to Rogers.

I spoke loudly and directly " That is unacceptable and we wonder why we are here today " ?

When Coach Lloyd was hired, the pay was raised and he has very little teaching responsibility.

The real problem started when the Mayor prior to Steve Womack was in office.  An 18 year incumbent before he was voted out.  That mayor allowed poultry plants to move into the city.. With that came an influx of Hispanic workers.  The city then encouraged the building of homes and apartments to house the workers.

Guess what local city did everything possible to keep the jobs and affordable housing out of their city ?

Bentonville.

This is the issue that got an 18 year incumbent voted out of his job in Rogers.

The numbers don't lie:

Bentonville is at 19 % free and reduced lunch.

Rogers is 60% free and reduced lunch.

Bentonville has 11 % Hispanic students.

Rogers is 46 % Hispanic.  Let that sink in for a minute.  Rogers district is a largely poor district.. The upper end is pretty high, but there is a large, wide lower end.

It has never been explained to me very well why all of Shadow Valley and half of Pinnacle attend Bentonville schools, when both properties have Rogers addresses.

Hispanic students don't play football in large numbers.  You will get a few, but not many.  I have seen some good kickers, though.

When you consider the pool of kids to choose from to play, Rogers is more like a 5 A school playing in the 7-A West. 

Another big thing happened when the school board decided to split the high schools.  Rogers last year to be real competitive was When Ronnie Peacock was coaching the last year before the split.  Lost to Southside in the state finals.  Cody Kirby and Lee Zimba played on that team.

The school board did the honorable thing,  they split the schools into equal size and comparable demographics.

This is very unlike Springdale, which has set up Springdale high school to fail athletically and Har Ber to dominate.  This issue has far reaching implications such as home value between the 2 schools.

Har Ber is about 30 % free/ reduced lunch

Springdale High is 60 %

Harber is 65 % caucasion. 

Springdale is 40% caucasion.

Bentonville is now into their 2nd year of a second high school, after dragging their feet for years to avoid splitting schools.  The problem is they didn't split evenly.  West is not designed to be of equal size.  Again setting up in favor of one school at the expense of the other school.  I have a problem with doing this to kids.

This has been my longest post ever.  Hope it make some sense and doesn't ramble too much.

All this talking about the Mounties makes me want to post one last picture of a certain Mountie from last season.  He played his butt off for the Mountaineers.  Many thing must go right to get this picture. 

For some reason I can't get this picture to attach.

I will miss not getting to see him play this year.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »
A swift bare ass.

And swift justice.  He pled guilty this morning in LR District Court and was sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Streaker who darted across War Memorial Stadium pleads guilty, tells police he's on probation for similar act

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »
Athletics in Rogers was hit by the perfect storm.  The previous 2 Superintendents had little to no interest in athletics.  Couple that with enough board members that didn't care  ( mostly women) and that can really damage you.

The feeling was that athletics and academics were in direct conflict with each other.  I and many others disagree with this notion.  Look around at the different sports teams and the other extra curricular activities and see who has the highest GPA.

What in fact happens is that the kids with athletic talent will leave the school district and you get very few move ins to play in down or neglected programs.

There was a bad hire at the AD position.  What followed was poor decisions in some coaching positions.
The Mounties tried running an option offense that the kids hated.  Kids quit playing.  If I had been interested in my son playing college football, we would have been forced to move.  Some did, or just quit altogether.

I have hopes in the new superindentent, Dr. Berry, and some new members of the school board that I know.  Parents of athletes.  The hiring of Mike Lloyd as Head Coach looks to be a good hire.  He is a no nonsense, real football coach that knows what he is doing.   Isn't looking to post stuff on social media.  A mature person and coach with a very good background.

I was on the committee that was formed before his hiring.  At one of our meetings I asked the question of how Rogers stood in pay for the head coach and what his teaching demands were in relation to the rest of the conference.  There was a real uncomfortable pause in the room.   I knew the answer, but I wanted to make the AD and the superindentent say it out loud.

Every coach in the conference would take a pay cut and teach more classes to come to Rogers.

I spoke loudly and directly " That is unacceptable and we wonder why we are here today " ?

When Coach Lloyd was hired, the pay was raised and he has very little teaching responsibility.

The real problem started when the Mayor prior to Steve Womack was in office.  An 18 year incumbent before he was voted out.  That mayor allowed poultry plants to move into the city.. With that came an influx of Hispanic workers.  The city then encouraged the building of homes and apartments to house the workers.

Guess what local city did everything possible to keep the jobs and affordable housing out of their city ?

Bentonville.

This is the issue that got an 18 year incumbent voted out of his job in Rogers.

The numbers don't lie:

Bentonville is at 19 % free and reduced lunch.

Rogers is 60% free and reduced lunch.

Bentonville has 11 % Hispanic students.

Rogers is 46 % Hispanic.  Let that sink in for a minute.  Rogers district is a largely poor district.. The upper end is pretty high, but there is a large, wide lower end.

It has never been explained to me very well why all of Shadow Valley and half of Pinnacle attend Bentonville schools, when both properties have Rogers addresses.

Hispanic students don't play football in large numbers.  You will get a few, but not many.  I have seen some good kickers, though.

When you consider the pool of kids to choose from to play, Rogers is more like a 5 A school playing in the 7-A West. 

Another big thing happened when the school board decided to split the high schools.  Rogers last year to be real competitive was When Ronnie Peacock was coaching the last year before the split.  Lost to Southside in the state finals.  Cody Kirby and Lee Zimba played on that team.

The school board did the honorable thing,  they split the schools into equal size and comparable demographics.

This is very unlike Springdale, which has set up Springdale high school to fail athletically and Har Ber to dominate.  This issue has far reaching implications such as home value between the 2 schools.

Har Ber is about 30 % free/ reduced lunch

Springdale High is 60 %

Harber is 65 % caucasion. 

Springdale is 40% caucasion.

Bentonville is now into their 2nd year of a second high school, after dragging their feet for years to avoid splitting schools.  The problem is they didn't split evenly.  West is not designed to be of equal size.  Again setting up in favor of one school at the expense of the other school.  I have a problem with doing this to kids.

This has been my longest post ever.  Hope it make some sense and doesn't ramble too much.

All this talking about the Mounties makes me want to post one last picture of a certain Mountie from last season.  He played his butt off for the Mountaineers.  Many thing must go right to get this picture. 

For some reason I can't get this picture to attach.

I will miss not getting to see him play this year.

Interesting, and totally understandable.  I have seen some of the smaller districts with influx of Hispanic population take a couple of decades before the children of the original immigrants start to become involved in football.  Danville is a good example.  They went from dominating in the 70's and 80's to not being heard from in the playoffs, back to where they are now consistently a contender again. 

The word is Springdale needs to split to a third high school soon. 

I remember in the mid-90's, Bentonville had looked at splitting into 2 AAAA campuses (when AAAAA was the largest classification).  No matter how they split it, both schools would be on the smaller end of 5A, so they just held together.  I guess it will remain to be seen if the West Campus will be competitive, but even though they made the playoffs last year, I'm not sure either Bentonville campus will fight for a title anytime soon. 

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
I remember in the mid-90's, Bentonville had looked at splitting into 2 AAAA campuses (when AAAAA was the largest classification). 

AAAA was as high as it got in the mid-90s.  I graduated in 97, and we were in the second classification at AAA at that time.

This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
AAAA was as high as it got in the mid-90s.  I graduated in 97, and we were in the second classification at AAA at that time.

Drop an A from my statement.  I was thinking the 5th A was added about 1995. 

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »
Drop an A from my statement.  I was thinking the 5th A was added about 1995.

It's the only relevant fact I know about Arkansas HS football at this point.  I couldn't even tell you what offense my alma mater runs at this point.

This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
I'm relatively new to the area. I was going to post something along the lines of your post, but I would not have stated it as clearly or as specifically as you did.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Heinekenhary

• A Shoat
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
What is the story on Jordan Witcher at Pea Ridge ?

Kid from Little Rock that played at Central as a sophomore, and Bryant as a Junior.

Out of no where he shows up  Pea Ridge ?

Was at Benton in 8th grade and Baptist Prep in 9th.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »
Was at Benton in 8th grade and Baptist Prep in 9th.

Has he ever played for the same school two years in a row?

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
And swift justice.  He pled guilty this morning in LR District Court and was sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Streaker who darted across War Memorial Stadium pleads guilty, tells police he's on probation for similar act

The report states that Lloyd has also since been banned from War Memorial Stadium.

Is the whole Razorback football team going to have to streak to get out of playing down there?