Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Need a garage door guy.  (Read 834 times)

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • King of the Hogs
Need a garage door guy.
« on: September 16, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »
The spring on ours snapped; I have no desire to mess with it, I know those things can get you kilt.  I also have no idea what to expect to pay for such services so I need someone who won't rip us off.  Thanks, Woopig.

Offline goporkyourself

• cool side of the pillow
  • King of the Hogs
  • having a good week of practice
Re: Need a garage door guy.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »
I've used chuck for years. If your spring is broken it's going to be a few hundred.
Chucks door service - 479-422-4691

Online IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
  • Puts Carts Where They Go
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
I released the opener then got a few friends to raise it then put on the new spring myself. Talk with who you buy it from for further details like for your specific door/motor.

This is going to be a great 4 years and possibly 8.  The amount of butthurt from the left is already at glorious levels.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
Does the spring ordinarily come with the door?

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
If it's an old door it probably won't hurt to spend a little money to get it properly checked and cleaned. If you have a broken spring you could face some other issues soon.

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:33:22 PM »
I released the opener then got a few friends to raise it then put on the new spring myself. Talk with who you buy it from for further details like for your specific door/motor.

You are a rebel.  Those things kill easily if not properly installed.

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Boar
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:06:41 PM »
If it's an old door it probably won't hurt to spend a little money to get it properly checked and cleaned. If you have a broken spring you could face some other issues soon.

Mine is old, too (circa 1970).  Sumbitch is a double-wide made of solid wood (except for the windows, of course).  Weighs a metric shit-ton+.  When the main spring broke on it a few years ago I thought:  no problem, I'll just raise it by hand.  Silly me.  Without that spring I couldn't get the mutherfucker more than 4 inches off the ground.

I've always used Fayetteville Door Company.  They show up promptly, complete the job quickly, and it always costs less than I expected.  They even had one old-timer come out to fix something who recognized my Plott Hounds, which really impressed me.

http://faydoor.com/?redirect=false

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
Mine is old, too (circa 1970).  Sumbitch is a double-wide made of solid wood (except for the windows, of course).  Weighs a metric shit-ton+.  When the main spring broke on it a few years ago I thought:  no problem, I'll just raise it by hand.  Silly me.  Without that spring I couldn't get the mutherfucker more than 4 inches off the ground.

I've always used Fayetteville Door Company.  They show up promptly, complete the job quickly, and it always costs less than I expected.  They even had one old-timer come out to fix something who recognized my Plott Hounds, which really impressed me.

http://faydoor.com/?redirect=false

This is who I called.  I looked up Chuck's first but the best I can tell from the website he doesn't really come out where we are.  The lady at FDC sounded like a sincerely nice person and not someone who was just faking it because it was her job and said they could get us in either this or tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
You are a rebel.  Those things kill easily if not properly installed.

That's only if the pry bar you are using kicks back and takes off your head. Main thing is those dudes have the right tools to work with.

I've seen it done but I think we ended up calling a guy to go back the other way. That guy is retired now and worked central Arkansas. Last time we just called Overhead Door to hang a new motor.

I've needed a new setup at my house for a year or so, but have just gotten used to manually opening the door...not a big deal.

Offline goporkyourself

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
This is who I called.  I looked up Chuck's first but the best I can tell from the website he doesn't really come out where we are.  The lady at FDC sounded like a sincerely nice person and not someone who was just faking it because it was her job and said they could get us in either this or tomorrow afternoon.

ah, yeah he's primarily a washington county guy i think. he's not cheap either.

whoever comes out just make sure they tighten and lubricate all the door tracks and realign everything properly. if your spring has been bad for a while it can cause all kinds of issues.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 05:30:50 AM »
ah, yeah he's primarily a washington county guy i think. he's not cheap either.

whoever comes out just make sure they tighten and lubricate all the door tracks and realign everything properly. if your spring has been bad for a while it can cause all kinds of issues.

:thumbup:  In the future I can recommend the Fayetteville GD company.  They were very friendly and professional and got to us quick.  175 bucks.

Offline pigsteye

• A Shoat
  • Nominum Quid Geminus?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »
:thumbup:  In the future I can recommend the Fayetteville GD company.  They were very friendly and professional and got to us quick.  175 bucks.

I had the exact same thing happen and can confirm, 175 for spring replacement through FGD. Totally worth it and cheaper than expected. A few months later the opener failed and I called Chuck for some reason. Was going to charge me "5 and a quarter" for a 1/2 horse install. I bought one online throu HD for $149 and installed it with my dad in an hour. Really not hard at all. Chuck ain't cheap' but he did give a follow up call and see if I still needed him to install an opener...

suffers from aggressive behavior that stems from increased detachment from reality and inability to cope with the forces in the world perceived as threatening