Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: MLB Hotstove and Offseason  (Read 4060 times)

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
MLB Hotstove and Offseason
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »
Let’s get this started with something for you StL fans.  Cards make formal trade offer for Stanton.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/932376577819672578?s=17
"Cause I just came here trying to be real. . .be as genuine as possible. . .and you know real recognize real."

Offline Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Boar
  • Just look at the big board.
Re: MLB Hotstove and Offseason
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
 :borat:
"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

Offline Splurge

• Resident Wooooo-pigger
  • King of the Hogs
  • My shoes cost more than your house
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
Let’s get this started with something for you StL fans.  Cards make formal trade offer for Stanton.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/932376577819672578?s=17

If this happens, I would play with myself.  Again.

Online Tusk till Dawn

• I'm not drunk I'm just drinking
  • King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
If this happens, I would play with myself.  Again.

Don't get your peter out just yet, I've heard Stanton wants no part of flyover country.

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
MLB nails the Braves pretty hard over their international signing violations.

Major League Baseball informed multiple Braves international signings today that they will become free agents, multiple sources told Baseball America. Those players include shortstop Kevin Maitan, catcher Abrahan Gutierrez, second baseman Yunior Severino and righthander Juan Contreras, who received the Braves’ top four signing bonuses in their 2016 class.

The players will have restrictions on their free agency. BA will update the list of players removed from the organization and the rules regarding their next contracts as that information becomes available.   
https://www.baseballamerica.com/international/mlb-removing-prospects-braves/
"Cause I just came here trying to be real. . .be as genuine as possible. . .and you know real recognize real."

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
ANd former Braves GM John Coppolella gets the Charley Hustle and Shoeless Joe treatment, banned for life from baseball.   :stunned:

Offline Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Boar
  • Just look at the big board.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »
ANd former Braves GM John Coppolella gets the Charley Hustle and Shoeless Joe treatment, banned for life from baseball.   :stunned:
Holy Shit
"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

Online bar_hog

• Boar
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
What shenanigans did they pull?

Offline Born

• Wild Hog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
What shenanigans did they pull?

from what I could tell, gamed the signing bonus system for prospects so they could sign more prospects..?  Gave some players less than market value signing bonuses so they could sign more?

8-)
Sometimes, in the course of engineering, you just have to raise the Jolly Roger and start slitting throats!!

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »
from what I could tell, gamed the signing bonus system for prospects so they could sign more prospects..?  Gave some players less than market value signing bonuses so they could sign more?

8-)

The biggest thing was paying a ridiculous salary and bonus to a Cuban professional who never made it above AA, and was never really predicted to do anymore than that.  Turns out his bonus was distributed to many other Latin American players who were represented by the same handler, in order to circumvent international bonus limits.  They also hid Kevin Maitan and his family for two weeks in Miami to keep other teams from being able to offer him a higher signing bonus. 

It sucks to lose Maitan, as he’s been compared to Miguel Cabrera.  But the penalties are fair and commensurate with the rules broken. My only hope is that some of the handlers involved roll over on some of the other 30 or so teams that use similar tactics.  Hopefully this is a sign that MLB is about to clean up the international signing process. 

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Cards trade Aledmys Diaz to the Jays for a prospect, #25 in their system.

Aaron Boone to manage the NYY.  What’s with all these teams hiring managers with zero experience?

Ohtani to sign sometime in the next few weeks.  Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs are favorites.

Stanton trade rumors still out there.  Giants and Cards look like favorites.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 09:58:27 AM »
Ohtani signing with the Cubs would make Hayward a late inning defensive replacement.
"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
Aaron Boone to manage the NYY.  What’s with all these teams hiring managers with zero experience?

At some point the guys they have recycled forever will die so somebody is going to have to hire someone with no experience, may as well start now.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »
Ohtani will be a very interesting story. Do you have him be a starting rotation picture and then play in the outfield on the days he's not pitching? Can a pitcher retire from pitching and still hit and play outfield? I don't see why not just as long as he remains on the field of play. The Royals used to have a guy utility guy that on the games where they were getting ass pounded...he would come in and pitch. David Howard? I can't remember exactly.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
Ohtani will be a very interesting story. Do you have him be a starting rotation picture and then play in the outfield on the days he's not pitching? Can a pitcher retire from pitching and still hit and play outfield? I don't see why not just as long as he remains on the field of play. The Royals used to have a guy utility guy that on the games where they were getting ass pounded...he would come in and pitch. David Howard? I can't remember exactly.
There have been several reports that have questioned whether or not he'd be a good enough hitter to be an everyday player, or DH. Some speculation that he'd be better off in an NL rotation and being utilized as a pinch hitter.

It's still going to be a very interesting story to watch; not just in the off-season but how quickly he adjusts to MLB hitting/pitching and how quickly they adjust to him.

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
There have been several reports that have questioned whether or not he'd be a good enough hitter to be an everyday player, or DH. Some speculation that he'd be better off in an NL rotation and being utilized as a pinch hitter.

It's still going to be a very interesting story to watch; not just in the off-season but how quickly he adjusts to MLB hitting/pitching and how quickly they adjust to him.
I’ve read where has 30+ HR power but Ks a lot, and is a #1 or 2 starter.  He’d fit right in to the Cubs rotation or RF after we shoot Jason Heyward into the sun.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
I’ve read where has 30+ HR power but Ks a lot, and is a #1 or 2 starter.  He’d fit right in to the Cubs rotation or RF after we shoot Jason Heyward into the sun.
I can see him as a 1/2 a whole lot easier than I can as an everyday outfielder or DH. Maybe I'm completely off base but I really see him as a Zambrano type player without the two year old outburst.

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
I can see him as a 1/2 a whole lot easier than I can as an everyday outfielder or DH. Maybe I'm completely off base but I really see him as a Zambrano type player without the two year old outburst.
The thing is, if he pitches he can still hit off the bench.  You can’t really have him be an OF and occasionally pitch.  You’re either a pitcher or you’re not.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
The thing is, if he pitches he can still hit off the bench.  You can’t really have him be an OF and occasionally pitch.  You’re either a pitcher or you’re not.
Then we're saying the same thing then. I've seen multiple people suggesting that he'd either DH or play in the field 4 out of 7 days.

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »
@jonmorosi
Sources: #Marlins have agreed to general framework of Giancarlo Stanton trades with both #STLCards and #SFGiants; the deals are on hold, while Marlins wait for Stanton to inform them whether he’d accept either trade. @MLB @MLBNetwork
1:47 PM · Dec 3, 2017 

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/937407890763190273?s=17

Online Sweet River Baines

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
Available budgets for remaining Ohtani finalists:

Rangers ($3.53m), Mariners ($1.57m), Angels ($1.315m), Cubs ($300k), Padres ($300k), Dodgers ($300k), Giants ($300k)

While I hope he goes to Texas, I'm betting on Mariners or Angels. I would think it would be AL so he could DH on days he's not pitching.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 4:11 Posi-trac out back, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fuckin' muscle.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
Cubs with an interesting value signing of Tyler Chatwood. Fills number 5 starter spot. Can try to trade for another starter and sign Morrow to close. Probably no more than a 10% chance on Otani.

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »
Cubs with an interesting value signing of Tyler Chatwood. Fills number 5 starter spot. Can try to trade for another starter and sign Morrow to close. Probably no more than a 10% chance on Otani.
I’ve got a good feeling.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »
I’ve got a good feeling.
Chatwood is a spin rate guy. Like top 10 on curve and fastball spin rates. I could see him doing really well. We’ll either get Ohtani or move Happ/another prospect for a starter. I’m getting the sense they aren’t moving Schwarber.

Online Ray Zorback

• RMPL co-ordinator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 33 queries.