Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Iron Bowl - what's at stake for us?  (Read 6332 times)

Online Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
Re: Iron Bowl - what's at stake for us
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »
comparing all the teams, bama has the best loss, and everyone but wisconsin has one.  bama's loss is to a team soon to be in the top 4 on the road.  clemson lost to unranked syracuse on the road.  miami lost to a 4-win Pitt team on the road.  auburn lost to #18 lsu and #1 clemson.  georgia has a really bad loss to auburn.  notre dame a really bad loss to miami.  oklahoma a loss at iowa state. 

the due diligence of the committe is to get the 4 best teams in the playoff.  i can't come up with a valid argument bama isn't one of the top 4. 

a real monkey in the wrench will be georgia beating auburn, miami beating clemson, and ohio state beating wisconsin (which i expect).  the playoff committee will have a hell of a lot of shit to go through and at least 2 fan bases and the national media are going to go apeshit over not being in the top 4 over teams x and y...and it wouldn't matter who the top 4 are, any possible combination of the top 8 will lead to the same result.
So if Auburn, Wisky, Clemson and OU win their title games next week....who you bumping to get Bama in the top 4?

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:13 PM »
comparing all the teams, bama has the best loss, and everyone but wisconsin has one.  bama's loss is to a team soon to be in the top 4 on the road.  clemson lost to unranked syracuse on the road.  miami lost to a 4-win Pitt team on the road.  auburn lost to #18 lsu and #1 clemson.  georgia has a really bad loss to auburn.  notre dame a really bad loss to miami.  oklahoma a loss at iowa state. 

the due diligence of the committe is to get the 4 best teams in the playoff.  i can't come up with a valid argument bama isn't one of the top 4. 

a real monkey in the wrench will be georgia beating auburn, miami beating clemson, and ohio state beating wisconsin (which i expect).  the playoff committee will have a hell of a lot of shit to go through and at least 2 fan bases and the national media are going to go apeshit over not being in the top 4 over teams x and y...and it wouldn't matter who the top 4 are, any possible combination of the top 8 will lead to the same result.

Bama may have the best loss but what is their signature win?  LSU by 14?  MSU by 7?

In Ty's scenario Bama gets left out.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:23 PM »
This game has virtually no impact on whether we offer Gus.

believe what you want, but gus had an offer 3 weeks ago.  it wasn't from long, but apparently had the backing of the bot.  the ball has been in gus' court ever since.

with no inside info whatsoever, i made the assumption that if gus was playing for the sec championship and likely in the playoff due to the way he whooped georgia's overrated ass the first time around, that he would decline our offer and stay at auburn because we weren't waiting until mid-january to hire a coach and he would not walk out on a team in the playoff.  for all i know gus has been playing us the whole time to get a contract extension, raise, and hefty buyout.  or he's going to tell auburn good luck in the playoff after the sec champ game and come to arkansas despite another chance for a national title.  neither of those make much sense to me.  now if georgia wins next week, that will be interesting.

and the football scoop tweet about our search being in disarray is bullshit.  we've been talking to norvell for as long as we've been talking to gus.  he's been the fall back guy the entire time.  the thought that football scoop's info was made up by their ole miss chicken shit leader, or came from a coach that was trying to get his hat in the ring and was told to fuck off are much more likely.

Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline Jostlyn McCocksack

• Wise guy extraordinare. Faded weekly
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
Re: Iron Bowl - what's at stake for us?
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
The sec sucks. Hard.

Outside of bama auburn and ga

And we still sucked balls

Zero coaching in this league.

I'll take the field

"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Offline IH8LSU

• King of the Hogs
  • Puts Carts Where They Go
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:25 PM »
If Bama wins, we'll be in last place in the West. If Auburn wins, we'll be...what was the question again?

This is going to be a great 4 years and possibly 8.  The amount of butthurt from the left is already at glorious levels.

Offline Jostlyn McCocksack

• Wise guy extraordinare. Faded weekly
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
How good is LSu with a woopig poster

"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Offline The Red Death

• He ain’t fat y’all.
  • Boar
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2017, 10:02:01 PM »
Do you actually believe any of what you are typing?

If so, may God have mercy on your therapist.

I do.  I believe that Gus Malzahn has a better resume than Mike Norvell.   I said that Gus has a proven track record in the SEC which was greater than the track record Norvell has at Memphis.

I never said that coaching at Memphis or Arkansas St or Bowling Green meant you were a bad coach.  That is what Mccocksack thinks I said.  My post that we go after a proven SEC winner instead of a 1 year coach at Memphis.  Real slow:  a proven recruiter and winner in the SEC over a period of 5 years trumps a 1 year resume from Memphis in my opinion. And yes I do believe that. You may not.  That’s okay I’m not threatened by a difference in opinion. 

You're a dipshit.  Gus was the head coach at ark state following freeze and another successful coach

I’m not disagreeing with your statement that good coaches coach at smaller schools to start their careers.  See my post above.  I’m saying we go for the coach with the better resume.  A la Gus.

believe what you want, but gus had an offer 3 weeks ago.  it wasn't from long, but apparently had the backing of the bot.  the ball has been in gus' court ever since.

with no inside info whatsoever, i made the assumption that if gus was playing for the sec championship and likely in the playoff due to the way he whooped georgia's overrated ass the first time around, that he would decline our offer and stay at auburn because we weren't waiting until mid-january to hire a coach and he would not walk out on a team in the playoff.  for all i know gus has been playing us the whole time to get a contract extension, raise, and hefty buyout.  or he's going to tell auburn good luck in the playoff after the sec champ game and come to arkansas despite another chance for a national title.  neither of those make much sense to me.  now if georgia wins next week, that will be interesting.

and the football scoop tweet about our search being in disarray is bullshit.  we've been talking to norvell for as long as we've been talking to gus.  he's been the fall back guy the entire time.  the thought that football scoop's info was made up by their ole miss chicken shit leader, or came from a coach that was trying to get his hat in the ring and was told to fuck off are much more likely.

This is true. 

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2017, 10:03:30 PM »
Nobody here said he didn’t have a better resume, record, longer dick, whatever.  Do you really think he’s coming here?

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline bakervscarrr

• puts honey on his pizza
  • Boar
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »

Operating on the assumption that Gus is Plan A and Norvell is Plan B, today didn’t necessarily change anything procedurally. It just made it all more excruciating and probably more expensive.

Memphis plays at 11:00 next week. Auburn plays at 3:00. If the guys with the check writing pens really do believe that Gus will come, I don’t know why they wouldn’t wait five hours. I wouldn’t think they’d lose Norvell in the meantime. He’s not going to leave for Ole Miss with the axe over their head and a potential gig at Arkansas.

The week is just going to be excruciating. Sexton is going to put the screws to Auburn. Norvell is already leveraging Memphis. Our cost of doing business is going up. Hopefully we don’t panic and move on a lark to Plan C.

Unless of course Plan C is Leach. Or Gruden. Or the ghost of Amos Alonzo Stagg.

I thought the post game comments of both Malzahn and Jacobs were interesting, though. Neither one slammed the door. It makes sense why Malzahn wouldn’t, but you’d think Jacobs would be more emphatic.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:07:38 PM by bakervscarrr »

Online Mr A Ziffell

• A Shoat
  • old
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2017, 10:05:12 PM »
If it’s Gus, nope....

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2017, 10:12:52 PM »
Operating on the assumption that Gus is Plan A and Norvell is Plan B, today didn’t necessarily change anything procedurally. It just made it all more excruciating and probably more expensive.

that's my line of thinking as well. 

while i believe what i was told about gus being offered, i'm not sure i believe what i was told we offered; it was north of $6mm a year.  not that arkansas, the rf, and a few boosters in love with gus couldn't afford it, but that's top 5 in all of college football money which seems like a lot to offer a guy making $1.5mm less than that currently and was squarely on the hot seat 6 weeks ago.

however, the way things have played out today, auburn may be willing to match $6mm offer.  jimmy sexton may be in the icu right now being treated for extreme giddyness.   

Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline The Red Death

• He ain’t fat y’all.
  • Boar
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
Nobody here said he didn’t have a better resume, record, longer dick, whatever.  Do you really think he’s coming here?

I do. Because sometimes a door opens and there are more things in life than money and raises and extensions. 

Here is what I think:

Regardless of what happens we get closure.  If he comes here then we know he truly wants to be the coach here.  He wants to retire here where it’s home and his family loves. However, if some on the board are telling the truth and this is about money (and I get the cynicism) then we move on and he is who they say he is. Fine.

I hear he’s coming home. I hear it’s his job to turn down.  I really believe he’ll be introduced as the next head football coach at the University of Arkansas.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ride or die...for now.
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »
Gus ain't coming here. He's just another in a long line of coaches with Arkansas ties that doesn't come here for one reason and another. He joins Butch, Jimmy and Barry.

An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline mde114

• Boar
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2017, 10:25:34 PM »
and some dude named Bryant.

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »
We passed over Johnson and Gus. Switzer outright didn’t come when the opportunity came about. Kentucky wouldn’t let Bear Bryant out of his contract to come here.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »

So if what you say is true, how is what I said not true?

You might want to reread.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Online Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »
I do.  I believe that Gus Malzahn has a better resume than Mike Norvell.   I said that Gus has a proven track record in the SEC which was greater than the track record Norvell has at Memphis.

I never said that coaching at Memphis or Arkansas St or Bowling Green meant you were a bad coach.  That is what Mccocksack thinks I said.  My post that we go after a proven SEC winner instead of a 1 year coach at Memphis.  Real slow:  a proven recruiter and winner in the SEC over a period of 5 years trumps a 1 year resume from Memphis in my opinion. And yes I do believe that. You may not.  That’s okay I’m not threatened by a difference in opinion. 

I’m not disagreeing with your statement that good coaches coach at smaller schools to start their careers.  See my post above.  I’m saying we go for the coach with the better resume.  A la Gus.

This is true.
Norvell was 8-5 last year at Memphis and 10-1 this year. 18-6 overall. He’s not a 1 year coach. Carry on.....

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2017, 11:33:52 PM »

This is true.

If you like Gus so much why do you have Norvell as your avatar? 

:stache:

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

A very stable genius.

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2017, 11:45:54 PM »
If you like Gus so much why do you have Norvell as your avatar? 

:stache:

+2

There's some good-ass woopigging going on today.

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2017, 12:57:51 AM »
Gus ain't coming here. He's just another in a long line of coaches with Arkansas ties that doesn't come here for one reason and another. He joins Butch, Jimmy and Barry.
...and The Bear..

...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline CoonrodTodd

• A Shoat
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
Everyone relax.  Just like the Long and Bielema firing, this has all been done for some time now.

You can believe me or not.  Doesn’t matter.  Long and Bielema got run over by the bus.

We have people there tonight with Gus congratulating him on his victory. 

We are not to be messed with.  Oh, and love Gary for trolling Auburn at the end of the game. 

They deserve it for their treatment of Malzahn.  They will get their just desserts.  Meaning an ass whipping at the hands of the guy who they treated like shit. 

Gary knows.  Booger knows.  Schlabach knows.  Enjoy it down at Toomers Auburn.  It will be short lived.

And if by chance Gus backed out of the deal, well then fuck him forever.  He isn’t a Hog.  But we don’t have to worry about that, because he is, just like Mike was and Nolan is.

This is what I expect for my hard won dues money.