Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Razorback Foundation and the FOIA  (Read 11106 times)

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
Razorback Foundation and the FOIA
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »

In another thread or two somewhere around here there was a discussion about whether or not the Razorback Foundation's records, either whole or in part, should be subject to release under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act. 

I saw this article today that a gentleman requested information from the RF pursuant to the FOIA, that request was denied, and his attorney claims he's ready to sue over the denial.

Court test possible on Razorback spending accountability

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:14:26 PM by Law_Hawg »

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Razorback Foundation and the FOIA
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
This is just about a couple of people wanting their names in the paper.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 12:27:32 PM »
This is just about a couple of people wanting their names in the paper.

Maybe, but the Democrat-Gazette has also requested quite a bit of information from the RF and has also been turned down. 

In UA sports firings, hiring, process foggy

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:04:26 PM »

Offline kingofdequeen

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »
i love how brantley always uses some of his space to remind everyone of his relevance.

Offline Buhleedat

• Wild Hog
  • I LIKE WHAT YOU GOT
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
Maybe, but the Democrat-Gazette has also requested quite a bit of information from the RF and has also been turned down. 

Is that UA-Fayetteville?  Just making sure.  Don't want the fine folks of Monticello to read that incorrectly.

Offline arkansawyer

• A Shoat
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
It seems pretty obvious to me it's an arm of a public university but this may all be moot - the new tax bill eliminates the deduction for donations required to get tickets. That leaves almost zero legitimate incentive to run a bunch of money through a foundation.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
It seems pretty obvious to me it's an arm of a public university but this may all be moot - the new tax bill eliminates the deduction for donations required to get tickets. That leaves almost zero legitimate incentive to run a bunch of money through a foundation.

except that you have to separate private and public funds based on how they are allowed to be used.

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
In another thread or two somewhere around here there was a discussion about whether or not the Razorback Foundation's records, either whole or in part, should be subject to release under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act. 

I saw this article today that a gentleman requested information from the RF pursuant to the FOIA, that request was denied, and his attorney claims he's ready to sue over the denial.

The only time Max seems to be interested RF business is when he thinks he can hurt it. Attention whoring at it's finest. He's the AP of the extremely minor alternative press.

Here's to growing up in an Empire during the decadent years!

Official motto of Woopig P&R board "Wear a cup tl;dr"

Offline RPL

• Tush Hog
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 02:45:13 PM »

Isn't that gentleman, Kevin Lemley, also an attorney? 

I'm like a fat kid at kickball.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
Isn't that gentleman, Kevin Lemley, also an attorney?

Indeed he is.

Offline jsimp

• Boar
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
is the public trying to FOIA the university athletic programs only an Arkansas thing? why do we do shit like this?

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
I'm no attorney and it's been awhile since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express but if a ruling is made that the RF's records are subject to FOIA aren't you opening a whole can of worms re: other non-profits being treated the same (subject to FOIA)? And what about the Salvation Army? Why, they got a Santy Claus on every corner, and they're taking a fortune. But you go ahead Henry, you do it your way.

Offline RPL

• Tush Hog
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »

Indeed he is.

I'm sensing some collusion for a lawsuit.

I'm like a fat kid at kickball.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
I'm no attorney and it's been awhile since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express but if a ruling is made that the RF's records are subject to FOIA aren't you opening a whole can of worms re: other non-profits being treated the same (subject to FOIA)? And what about the Salvation Army? Why, they got a Santy Claus on every corner, and they're taking a fortune. But you go ahead Henry, you do it your way.

the difference is the work on behalf of a public entity. 

Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »
I'm sensing some collusion for a lawsuit.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »

If the Salvation Army were collecting money and operating under the direction of say, DHS... then that would compare.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 05:17:50 PM »
Private non-profits are already subject to the FOIA if they accept public funds.  That's nothing new. 

The question here is whether this particular non-profit has skated so close to the edge of the line it is deemed to be an alter ego or agent of the UofA.  The public entity is selling tickets.  A portion of what would otherwise go to the ticket seller gets diverted to a non-profit, who uses said money to supplement the pay and perks of public employees as directed by said public university.  Of course it is a winking eye dodge.  But how the courts will view it is anybody's guess.  But I'm guessing the scope of the direction by the UA is key.  If XYZ Foundation works entirely independently of the University and says, "here's a million bucks; we just want our name on a building," then that entity isn't going to be subject to the FOIA.

Somebody watched Miracle on 34th Street.   ;D

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »
Well, when the former UA counsel just slides over to the Foundation to run it and from what I understand, still does some work for the school too, it’s going to be hard to argue they aren’t joined at the hip.

Offline asshat

• not just any asshat
  • Boar
  • Hates all things Auburn
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
Well, when the former UA counsel just slides over to the Foundation to run it and from what I understand, still does some work for the school too, it’s going to be hard to argue they aren’t joined at the hip.
Typical answer

A fucking for the AGES. Gutless motherfuckers every one of them, from the replay man to the entire officials crew.  May the faggot, cowardly bastards rot in hell.  Gutless fucking pussies.

Offline arkansawyer

• A Shoat
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:42 PM »
Nearly 100% of its funds come from a forced "donation" in order to have the rights to buy ticket's to a public school's football game. Don't look too hard for the link. It's the $$, and I've never heard anyone that's familiar with FOIA that disagrees that this will hold up in court.

Over a dozen states have already gone this route. I really don't get the controversy, especially the buyouts (and who knows what else) we just needlessly paid. Shine that light!

Offline hogeyeblind

• A Shoat
  • "Golden Handcuffs"
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 07:45:26 PM »
The only time Max seems to be interested RF business is when he thinks he can hurt it. Attention whoring at it's finest. He's the AP of the extremely minor alternative press.

Max needs to choke on John Robert Starr’s decaying cawk

2 Star talent but I'm special and really want to be a Woopigger

Offline Boondoggle

• Boar
  • Guardedly Optimistic
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 11:23:44 PM »
Nearly 100% of its funds come from a forced "donation" in order to have the rights to buy ticket's to a public school's football game. Don't look too hard for the link. It's the $$, and I've never heard anyone that's familiar with FOIA that disagrees that this will hold up in court.

Over a dozen states have already gone this route. I really don't get the controversy, especially the buyouts (and who knows what else) we just needlessly paid. Shine that light!

I assume that the folks here that are dead set against transparency are either on the RF gravy train or they're the typical slack-jawed, nit wit fans that have allowed the razorback football program to fall to bottom feeder status over the past 30 + years while funding it to the tune of $80 million per year:

"That's right, here's my $20,000 and I don't want to hear nothing about no contracts, feather bedding on the payroll or massive salaries and buyouts to hacks...I just want my parking spot and a box seat to watch the shit show unfold every week...it's worth every penny to me to follow the most underachieving program per dollar spent in the SEC...I just want to see somebody administrate another $200 million facilities expansion that we can't afford...WPS!!!"

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:28:52 PM by Boondoggle »
Torches and pitchforks at the ready.

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 06:57:19 AM »
Or maybe it's because those of us who don't donate don't care. Assume this lawsuit is filed and won and after a few years of appeals the RF actually has to comply with FOIA. What's that going to accomplish? If you don't contribute you really don't have any right to complain about what comes out and obviously those who do aren't complaining publicly now.

Offline USAFHawg

• Boar
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 07:02:18 AM »

Like I said in the other thread:

What bothers me about this is that the ADG had the Nutt FOIA information well before the people of Oinkx did the request. The request from Oinkx was made because someone from the ADG had the info and said there is some interesting stuff in there. The ADG did NOTHING with that info. It took (can't remember his name) putting his name out there and suffering the consequences.