Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gerry Bohannon's Hats (now including the fabric of space-time)  (Read 17000 times)

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Gerry Bohannon's Hats
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »

Drew Henson?

That’s the washout. In fact, I think Bobby Bowden told him he wouldn’t recruit a QB that year or the next if he came to FSU.

Wow, I've never heard of that happening.  Has it ever come up here? (before now)

I am sure it’s just never brought up publicly. Can’t you see a coach telling a QB “come here and you’ll be the only an I sign this year”?

Mallett went to Michigan because we were recruiting other TE's.

:maundoed:

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

A very stable genius.

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • King of the Hogs
  • Longtime Fan of Roger E. Mosley
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
That’s the washout. In fact, I think Bobby Bowden told him he wouldn’t recruit a QB that year or the next if he came to FSU.

I am sure it’s just never brought up publicly. Can’t you see a coach telling a QB “come here and you’ll be the only an I sign this year”?

Yeah I'm sure it has happened but I didn't know that it was a common recruiting tactic.  The only time I had heard of something similar was when Sumlin was promising QBs all kinds of things and couldn't deliver.  I just thought it was about playing time though.

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »

Mallett went to Michigan because we were recruiting other TE's.

:borat:

I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »

Here's an excerpt from this article about Henson's recruitment:

Bobby Bowden, Florida State coach: We had signed Chris out of Minnesota [in 1990] and he told us I'm coming unless I'm drafted in the first round in baseball. We checked with a lot of the baseball scouts and they did not think he would be drafted in the first round so we signed him to a scholarship. In August, he reported for a practice and went a week. After practicing a week, he called me and said, 'Coach, they promised me first-round money and I'm going to have to go.' I told him I completely understood and if you ever decided you wanted to come back to football, I would save him a scholarship … never thinking he would come back. [In 1996], he called us and said, 'I would like to return if you all would let me.'

Mark Richt, Florida State offensive coordinator: Coach Bowden made a promise and he is going to keep it. But I came to him and said, 'Coach, I really think this Henson kid is something else. Are you sure Weinke is going to stick it out?' I just wasn't sure. You have a guy who has been out of football and you just don't know how truly serious he was and I had not talked to Chris at that point. I asked coach if I could talk to Weinke about his sincerity with this whole thing. If we were going to talk to Weinke, I knew we were going to lose Henson.

Dan Henson: Richt called me, I had finished the Eastern Michigan-Central Michigan game. Drew was going to commit to Florida State as a junior. Richt said, 'I've got some news. Coach Bowden told Chris Weinke [six] years ago if he ever changed his mind, he could come back.' Chris was done with baseball and decided to come back in January.

Richt: I hated [the conversation]. I think [Dan] hated it, too. I think he seemed very disappointed. He said Drew would be very disappointed. I think Drew was pretty much set on wanting to come.

Drew Henson: Michigan and Florida State were about 50-50. Chris Weinke decided to come back and was going to be a 25-year-old freshman and you're trying to position yourself to have a window to start. I was already leaning toward Michigan and if that was the way things had gone, it's all for a reason and continued to finish my decision and make it secure that Michigan was going to be the perfect spot for me and I'd go ahead and commit now and get it out of the way.

Dan Henson: At that point, he talked to Lloyd and he said if you commit as a junior, I won't recruit another guy after you. Some people made a big deal about that but the fact of the matter is that wasn't that big of an issue. It really wasn't.

Carr: I didn't have any major concerns that we wouldn't be able to recruit a guy in the next class. So that wasn't a big issue for me.

Drew Henson: I just called coach and said, 'Hey coach, I'm coming.' It wasn't anything more complicated than that. Just called him and said, 'Hey, coach, I'm going to be a Wolverine. I'm going to be a quarterback here and I want to go to the Rose Bowl.'

Offline acater

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »

Here's an excerpt from this article about Henson's recruitment:

Nice find, I knew I’d read it. 

A very stable genius.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
Re: Gerry Bohannon's Hats (now with more bickering)
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I really don't see the issue there.

At other positions, it happens all of the time.
People acted like Altee Tenpenny was a moron for going to Alabama with all of the RB's they had, but then a kid wanting a clean window to start at QB is scared of competition and weak. It's not all black and white like that.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline NotoriousPIG

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »
Gary Fucking Brashears.

I was a fawner. And then I wasn't.

I was sort've friends with Gary when he got to Fayetteville.  We had some mutual friends.  When I was a senior and he was off the team he saw me at The Dome late one night and we started talking.  I barely recognized him b/c of his long hair and full beard.  Guy went way off the rails.

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
If it’s such a rare and horrible thing for a player to want a promise that the school won’t recruit another player of the same position in the same class, why is it that one of the recruiting pitches in EA NCAA Football has always been ‘won’t recruit another player at the same position in this class’?

I realize it’s a video game, but it seems REALLY weird they put that in, if it were such a rare and over-the-top request.

This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »

If it’s such a rare and horrible thing for a player to want a promise that the school won’t recruit another player of the same position in the same class, why is it that one of the recruiting pitches in EA NCAA Football has always been ‘won’t recruit another player at the same position in this class’?

I realize it’s a video game, but it seems REALLY weird they put that in, if it were such a rare and over-the-top request.

/thread

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:42:44 AM by Tusk till Dawn »

Offline USAFHawg

• Boar
« Reply #134 on: December 20, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »

Cedric Cobbs says hi. I'm sure there are many more.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:11:50 PM by authorhawgerelli »

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • King of the Hogs
  • Longtime Fan of Roger E. Mosley
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »

Good point, I guess coaches make those kinds of promises, I had just never heard of an example of a player requesting it.  I don't claim to know a whole lot about recruiting though, and Bohannon might not even have said any of this.  There was just a tweet that got erased soon after.

Offline Ruddy Stormwater

• Boar
  • Bruuuuce
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
I was sort've friends with Gary when he got to Fayetteville.  We had some mutual friends.  When I was a senior and he was off the team he saw me at The Dome late one night and we started talking.  I barely recognized him b/c of his long hair and full beard.  Guy went way off the rails.

I remember seeing him laying down on the sidewalk waiting at a bus stop smoking a cigarette.  I think he had been kicked off the team but was supposedly "working" his way back. lol

Get outside guys... The world is cool.

Offline acater

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »

He was a legend among us guys that sold the ADG door to door. He worked there for a little while, a lot of the football players did. One night he banged a lady while working. She didnt buy the paper.

A very stable genius.

Offline PorkSaladAnnie

• Tush Hog
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
The dildo brought it all on himself staging his big press reveal (after dragging the “excitement” out over 30 min) and his stick in your eye Hog fans hat trick. He could have picked another school with some modicum of class, he did not.
OK Gerry - enjoy probationist Baylor and beautiful Waco you overrated demanding prima donna.

"Whether you're Black or White;
 Country, Redneck or Freak;
 Young or Old;
 From London, to Moscow or Memphis;
 Elvis Presley will still be the King of Rock & Roll."

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
Little did you know, there was security camera footage of the transaction.

I said....HOW MUCH YOU GOT.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »
The dildo brought it all on himself staging his big press reveal (after dragging the “excitement” out over 30 min) and his stick in your eye Hog fans hat trick. He could have picked another school with some modicum of class, he did not.
OK Gerry - enjoy probationist Baylor and beautiful Waco you overrated demanding prima donna.

This has been done hundreds of times by kids across the country for decades

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
He was a legend among us guys that sold the ADG door to door. He worked there for a little while, a lot of the football players did. One night he banged a lady while working. She didnt buy the paper.

Damn, he even failed at fucking. 

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
Technically, he only really failed at the selling part.

Offline Rick B.

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2017, 01:43:48 PM »
Wait, did someone say that Coalbore is a ginger too?  Dammit.  I'm shaving my head.  Arms.  Legs.  Eyebrows.  Ear hair. 

Offline acater

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »

Damn, he even failed at fucking.

I think he may have been HUNH before that was acceptable.

A very stable genius.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
Wait, did someone say that Coalbore is a ginger too?  Dammit.  I'm shaving my head.  Arms.  Legs.  Eyebrows.  Ear hair.

half-ging

Offline Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
Breaking news:
An 18 year old kid acted like a narcissistic douchebag.
In other news, water is wet. 

Let’s move on. 

"Cause I just came here trying to be real. . .be as genuine as possible. . .and you know real recognize real."

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

holy shit dude, i sold the adg door to door in summer of '98.  i was on the rural route squad and hwy 16 and 265 south to elkins was my territory.  made it about 4 weeks and quit because i hated it.

Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline acater

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »
holy shit dude, i sold the adg door to door in summer of '98.  i was on the rural route squad and hwy 16 and 265 south to elkins was my territory.  made it about 4 weeks and quit because i hated it.

We crossed paths.  :thumbup:

Respect for the Rural Route, getting chased by dogs, shot at by rednecks...

A very stable genius.

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
It’s all about ego. Let this kid go to Baylor. He probably thinks if he goes there he will Be their star quarterback and savior and big man on campus whereas at arkansas nobody would give a shit and pat his ego. Have fun at Baylor...I’m sure in ten years he will be back in Earle selling shit at Wong’s. Shit is Wong’s even still there?

Maybe Ol' Tex will get him a job pumping gas.

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.